ADVERTISEMENT

If gas stays $2 or less for the Summer, economy will be cranking...

JC-DAWG83

War Daddy
Nov 30, 2001
with people traveling and boating. I know of at least 3 people who sold boats because of price of fuel, those things like some gas.

I'm lucky in that my boat is pretty good on gas. I'm looking forward to more boats with more cuties on them out this Summer. The past few Summers have been pretty lean.

I would contend they couldn't afford the boat in the first place...

My Dad had a Searay 20 footer back in the day, 350 4 barrel, would suck 60 gallons in a day easy if skiing heavy. But we camped for free on the islands at Lake Lanier....banned now...too many idjits set the woods on fire....NOT Lake Lanier Islands.
This post was edited on 3/11 3:46 PM by McDonoughDawg

This post was edited on 3/11 3:47 PM by McDonoughDawg

You'd be right in some cases, not others, one guy in particular...

could easily afford it but got tired of spending $200 a weekend on gas when he didn't really go anywhere in the boat. Offshore fishing trips, even fairly close in, had gotten to be $500 trips on boats of any size at all. Most of the guys I know sold their bigger boats and downsized to smaller center console boats. The folks with those wakeboard boats get killed on gas. They have huge engines and water tanks to make the boat heavier so it will make a bigger wake. A lot of those people fall into the category of not being able to afford the boat in the first place. I have a client who is a boat dealer. He says there are tons of guys in their 20s and early 30s working hourly jobs buying the wakeboard boats and financing them for 15 years.

Right on on the wakeboard boats. Still, at times I miss my last boat

Was a nice 190 Searay Bowrider, with the 4.3 V6.. I took it to New smyrna Beach one summer and had a blast running up and down the intercoastal and out a bit at ponce inlet....not out far though.

Freshwater family boats will disintegrate almost before your eyes in...

salt water. My dad and I got hooked on salt water fishing in 1974. We took a, then nice, 17 ft Hydra Sport bass boat down to Beaufort SC to fish in the creeks and rivers. First, we learned that crossing a sound or wide river on a breezy day in a bass boat was a very bad idea. We were totally unfamiliar with the effect of tide and wind on wave height and steepness. Second, we learned about sand bars, oyster rakes and mud banks and the remarkable difference a 7 foot tide makes in what areas are safe to travel across at speed. Finally, we learned that no matter how thoroughly we thought we rinsed the boat off when we got home, salt water destroys everything not made of stainless steel, brass or fiberglass. After a season of salt water trips, that bass boat looked like it was 30 years old.

I believe it, but this SeaRay spent 5 more years down there..

i sold it to my Father In Law, he brought it back to Jonesboro a few years ago, other than the trailer showing it, it looked good....we were pretty good about washing it off and flushing the I/O. It is now tooling around Lake Spivey, owned by a red dot.

This post was edited on 3/11 4:12 PM by McDonoughDawg

Sea Rays are good boats, or used to be, haven't looked at one..

up close in a while. There was a dealer on the lake here, but he gave them up because they were too expensive to sell enough to justify keeping the line. He switched to a cheaper, lake boat, for his ski boats and cruisers.

Re: Freshwater family boats will disintegrate almost before your eyes in...

Exactly like my experience. I've been a lake boater all my life, I took a 27 foot SeaRay with a single 454 to Edisto Island Marina for a summer. The boat was like a billboard and was underpowered even with the 454. I hit every boat in the marina. Had to get towed off sand bars twice. The NOAA charts were so out of date I saw areas charted as 10 foot waters with danged palm trees growing on them.

The 7 foot tide differential just kicked my ass. When I'd finally get the boat in the slip if the tide was going against the stern you could surf off the wake on either side of the boat.

I'll bet that was a handful..yeah, the tides will get you..

IF you get stuck on the disappearing island at Ponce Inlet, you are there for a while. :)

Re: I'll bet that was a handful..yeah, the tides will get you..

That area, the SC Low Country, is very tough because of all the tidal rivers and creeks. The Edisto Marina is right at the mouth of a bunch of them and twice a day they all empty out and fill up right through the marina. A 7 foot tide differential is huge.

I would not try it again. There's a lot you need to know and you really need twin engines.

island sleeping outlawed due to wasp stings on lower lips. Hahahaha

Damn, Ed Edwards was a TRIP.

I work at a major retailer hq...

in the corporate office. Just had a meeting today w/ some logistics people. Our higher ups are expecting 10% increase in sales this spring and trust me; our higher ups are REAL good at forecasting. Logistics guys are making sure we keep our stuff running; sites will running 24X7 for 3 mos. Back in 07 we were laying off 8 months before the economic meltdown. The economy is going to go nuts this spring.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT