ADVERTISEMENT

Insiders.. how does this affect recruiting

Are they accusing the university of racism because they're not good enough to get playing time?

No, they're supporting a former player who, like them, has experienced prejudice on campus and want to raise awareness/bring it to an end. Not too hard to understand. Take off the red & black goggles try to think outside yourself brah

No, they're supporting a former player who, like them, has experienced prejudice on campus and want to raise awareness/bring it to an end. Not too hard to understand. Take off the red & black goggles try to think outside yourself brah
I get that, but what about the negative comments made about Kirby Smart that are tied in with this? As a coach, he has the leaders on his team retweeting it and in 2020 terms that means supporting it. Your thoughts on that aspect of this whole situation? I ask this to be educated, not to debate.

Little to none.... Otis Reese is a disgruntled kid that got passed on the depth chart and decided to move on..... fair enough. But now he wants the SEC to waive the mandatory one year penalty so he plays the only card he has.... the race card.

Our players talk to recruits on their trips and they tell them what's REALLY going on here, good or bad.

Pablo Fields pulled the same crap to get his son a waiver, then allowed his daughter to sign an athletic scholarship with UGA literally days later.

Reactions: SLC_Dawg
I get that, but what about the negative comments made about Kirby Smart that are tied in with this? As a coach, he has the leaders on his team retweeting it and in 2020 terms that means supporting it. Your thoughts on that aspect of this whole situation? I ask this to be educated, not to debate.

I really don't think they're even thinking of that part tbh. I know that's speculation and I know the optics are bad rn for uga, but I think the players who are supporting Otis are only doing it because of discriminatory experiences they've either had themselves or witnessed from the APD and they want to make the public aware.

I really don't think they're even thinking of that part tbh. I know that's speculation and I know the optics are bad rn for uga, but I think the players who are supporting Otis are only doing it because of discriminatory experiences they've either had themselves or witnessed from the APD and they want to make the public aware.
That’s a fine sentiment, but it isn’t wrong to wish these players were making some distinction between feeling a certain way about ACCPD and endorsing an accusation that UGA is a racist environment and Kirby Smart is a racist, manipulative monster.

I don’t know anyone who went to UGA that didn’t have a bad experience with ACCPD. I’m as white as college ruled paper, and I will always remember pulling into a gas station off Barnett Shoals, walking inside to buy a gatorade, and on my way back to my car being cut off by two officers in their car who got out, accused my of “street racing”, pressed me against the trunk of my car, and then demanded I take a breathalyzer (0.00%, FYI).

My thoughts walking away were fear, confusion, and anger over shitty, incompetent cops. Were I a black man, how could I not assign racial animus to the same event?

Trust me, I get it, and I think there is work to be done. Co-signing an attorney letter that shits all over UGA, UGA Football, and Kirby Smart is a very disappointing way to go about it, and one that is very unlikely to advance towards positive outcomes and improvement.

Reactions: rtsubhro
Let's dig in:
- The racist statements are not one's that CKS can control. We all know what the idiot yelled from the crowd. And we know Fields tried to help him stay on the team, and that his sister still came to UGA aftwards. As for what can be done with day to day racism at UGA, CKS just put up a million, and his record is pretty clear on that. I am guessing the players not trying to get playing time at another school have his back. It goes without saying that I hope every day that racial prejudice ceases to exist at UGA and everywhere.
- Can't control the CCPD, or APD. When it comes to BLM issues the blacks I know who tell me about driving while black concern me the most. I just can't fathom having that fear, or being profiled like that. Let's hope that CKS is doing things with the local popo, but at the end of the day, what else can he do he isn't already doing?
- Contrary to your post, it's pretty easy to discredit his statements when they are obviously made for self gain. He knows CKS can't and won't respond publically. So, yeah, I'll stick with my coach, while also hoping some of the things he said happened either didn't or will get better over time.

Also, when recruits come to campus who will they talk to? Current players. I will bet that the overall vibe from current players with regard to racism is no different at UGA than at, say, Clemson, LSU, Ohio St., or Bama.

I don’t think it’s all sour grapes. I have little doubt he was harassed by the police in more than one occasion. I hope what he said about Kirby isn’t true, but I don’t know either one of them, so I can’t just call Otis Reese a straight up liar. It might sting recruiting a bit. Athens police are notorious, but I hope Mr. Reese realizes there are a lot of police officers outside of Oxford that won’t recognize him and won’t be much different than his encounters with ACCPD.

Just a note for clarity, but while Reese was here, the chief of police for ACCPD is black. Doesn't mean bad things can't happen, but it doesn't help his story.

Reactions: SLC_Dawg
We are...........

DOOMED!!!!!!!

We will be Vandy's bitch for the next 25 years now. "UGA, KKK" will be the chant we hear at every away game.

But pop tarts should go on sale at Bi Lo, so we should be optimistic.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT