ADVERTISEMENT

Let me set the record straight on paying players . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catfish_UGA

Letterman and National Champion
Jun 9, 2001
(I know this is long and I apologize for that, but this really upset me)

I know that I have not been active on the Dawgvent/Vault for many years now, but still enjoy reading and following our Dawgs through this medium. I was one of the original members and contributors, from back in the early 90's and continued to follow through the numerous changes that we've "enjoyed" over the years. I consider Dash and Radi good friends, and can tell you what you already know: Nobody does it better than these guys.

Before we had the Under Armour and Army All American HS All Star Games, we had regional State All Star Game and for 7 years I ran the GA/FL HS All Star Football Game, with all of the very top D-1 players from those two states. In conjunction with the GACA, we also ran some of the first regional HS football combines. I was not only involved with HS football talent (recruiting), I was up to my ears in it.

I have been and am still very an ardent supporter of UGA athletics, in general, and the football program in particular. It's been part of my job for over 30 years now. I recently retired and had 3 of the 5 last UGA football coaches at my retirement party (the others very graciously sent video messages).

I say all of that to say this - This "pay for play" crap that's been laid out here is just that . . . a LOAD OF CRAP.

Do you REALLY think the schools (or representatives) in the SEC (or any other conference) are paying EVERY 4 & 5 star HS talent $50K - $100K to play at their school? Do you really think they're giving them ALL cars? I can tell you . . . IF YOU GIVE IT TO ONE OF THESE KIDS, YOU'LL HAVE TO GIVE IT TO THEM ALL.

Think about it. Use your common sense.

This just flat out AIN'T HAPPENING at this level. Period. Nobody . . . NOBODY . . . could have kept something of this magnitude under wraps for all these years. Hey, y'all - we're dealing with kids, and families, and coaches - if they find out somebody is getting something they're not, do you think they'd just sit by and let it happen?

For every Tunsill or Albert Means, there are hundreds of Matt/Jon Stinchcombs and Isiah Wynns. For every Cam Newton, there are hundreds of DJ Shockleys and David Greenes. For every Hugh Freeze, there area hundreds of Mark Richts and Kirby Smarts.

Think about this. Tray Matthews was one of the top athletes in his class in 2013 in the country - every school in the country wanted him. If we were going to pay anyone to come to Athens, he would have been one - he STARTED as a true freshman. Now, again, think about this, if he got this much money to sign with UGA, would he have been "double dipping" on his stipend checks (trying to cash 'em twice) to get a little extra pocket money? It got his scholarship yanked and got him kicked out of school. Do you really think he would have kept quiet about that? After all Auburn had been through with Cam Newton, do you think THEY would have kept quiet?

Another scenario. What about other athletes that are kicked off a team, do you think they wouldn't have "raised hell" to get even? They would have had nothing to lose.

Also, if I'm a 3-star starting in front of a 5-star that got whole hell of a lot of money and I got nothing - do you think I wouldn't raise hell about it? Have you ever heard any player EVER complain about this? If this was going on, with the top talent - everybody on the team would know. These are kids, they talk.

Now that crap about an Alabama coach, giving a kid a car with a $100K bag on the front seat. Do you REALLY believe that? At this point in his career, do you really think Nick Saban would allow something like this to happen in his program . . . something that would jeapordize his legacy - that means SO MUCH to him now - as the best college coach in history? That's all that matters to him now - he ain't letting that happen, y'all.

Sure there are $100 handshakes and some aggressive alumni out there, but it is no where like what has been portrayed here.

Common sense, guys. Common sense. This ain't happening. It ain't reality.

'fish

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News