ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Middle finger to cop, always wondered if this was illegal. Apparently not...case

dawglogic

Legend
Gold Member
Dec 6, 2004
Acworth
The Case

Vermont man who gave state trooper the middle finger and was arrested to receive part of $175,000 settlement

I still don't recommend doing it, but I've always wondered about this since Sally Field did it in Smokey and the Bandit.

I'm not saying it's a classy or reasonable thing to do but it's totally ridiculous that the stupid ass trooper arrested him for flipping him off.
I realize not all cops like this, but there are way too many a-hole cops who are there for no other reason than to pick on people & abuse their power. So many loser cops out there.

I'm not saying it's a classy or reasonable thing to do but it's totally ridiculous that the stupid ass trooper arrested him for flipping him off.
I realize not all cops like this, but there are way too many a-hole cops who are there for no other reason than to pick on people & abuse their power. So many loser cops out there.
Yeah, this.

If you are a cop that can't handle the finger you may not be in the right line of work.

Again, nobody should be pointlessly shitty to cops. It's the toughest job. But the portion of cops on insane power trips and the full and unequivocal backing by unions and departments of those that do things wrong make an already crazy hard job impossible for good cops.

It’s not against the law, but what a stupid thing to do. There are a lot of good cops out there working.

200w.gif

Go watch some first amendment auditors. They find some real ego driven cops.

Reactions: DonutDawg
Yeah, this.

If you are a cop that can't handle the finger you may not be in the right line of work.

Again, nobody should be pointlessly shitty to cops. It's the toughest job. But the portion of cops on insane power trips and the full and unequivocal backing by unions and departments of those that do things wrong make an already crazy hard job impossible for good cops.
Well said

Reactions: SaltLakeDawg
90% of public wants to be good to cops

20% of cops want to be good to the public

Not sure if it’s the 10% that wear cops down and they become assholes or if
most just start out that way.

Combine that will awful pay and you’re not picking from America’s best.

Reactions: SaltLakeDawg

This has only worsened in the last 12-15 years because of many of the events during that time. When you make things hard enough for cops, who in their right mind would enter that profession? I expect it will continue to get worse as good ones that are hanging in for retirement age out.

I know someone who recently retired who wasn’t a “cop” but was POST certified and he frequently was pulled in to help train new recruits on the range when the time came (because he had the training certifications to instruct). The stories he has told me in recent years have not been good regarding the quality of recruit. They wanted him to help this one lady recruit qualify on the range and she was really terrible. He couldn’t diagnose the problem by watching over her shoulder as he normally would. Eventually he positioned himself where he could see her face and realized that she was closing her eyes when she fired her pistol. Not a blink at the report, but ready, aim, close eyes, squeeze the trigger. No kidding. Lots of other less humorous but equally concerning issues as well.

90% of public wants to be good to cops

20% of cops want to be good to the public

Do you have facts on these numbers, or just your made up numbers?

• Haha
Reactions: BaileyDawg79
Yeah, this.

You are so right about their job being hard and what they have to put up with. Been there seen that and done that!

I hate those when I was a kid stories but when I was a kid you just didn’t do that. Cops were our friends within reason, and nobody wanted to get stopped and ticketed later. Small town justice where everyone knew each other you just didn’t do stupid things

Reactions: Athens is Heaven
One of my main issues with cops.
Normal traffic stop. You produce your license, insurance, and registration.

"Where are you headed?"

Unless the cop has reason to believe there is something off, this is none of his/her business.

Spare me the "I'm asking questions to see if speech is slurred etc".

Nope. You are getting asked that 99/100 times, even when there is NO REASON to believe you are impaired.

It's part of the game, to see if you will cooperate or not.

Wanted to add, most of the time, I've had great experiences with police and state patrol, during stops.

I was stopped last fall, by the GSP for speeding.

I had 2 dead deer in the back of my truck, and 2 deer rifles on the seat, next to me.

I pulled over.
Turned off truck
Keys on dash
Hands on steering wheel.
Didn't move, until trooper asked

He never even mentioned my guns. After running my info, the trooper came back and asked where I was headed.

"To the deer processor" I said.

The guy goes, "Well, you are already gonna spend money to get those deer worked up. I'd hate to make your day even more expensive, so I'm giving you a warning. Slow down."

So I guess cooperation and honesty aren't so bad after all!

Wanted to add, most of the time, I've had great experiences with police and state patrol, during stops.

I was stopped last fall, by the GSP for speeding.

I had 2 dead deer in the back of my truck, and 2 deer rifles on the seat, next to me.

I pulled over.
Turned off truck
Keys on dash
Hands on steering wheel.
Didn't move, until trooper asked

He never even mentioned my guns. After running my info, the trooper came back and asked where I was headed.

"To the deer processor" I said.

The guy goes, "Well, you are already gonna spend money to get those deer worked up. I'd hate to make your day even more expensive, so I'm giving you a warning. Slow down."

So I guess cooperation and honesty aren't so bad after all!

I was stopped by GSP on a two lane hiway going 72 in a 55. I saw him too late going the opposite way. I pulled over in a safe spot for both of us. He asked where I was headed, I told him. I told him I was living in Atlanta during the week and headed home. I told him the road, he knew it i think because another trooper lives on the road. He took my paperwork to his car. Came back after 5 minutes, told me to slow down, I thanked him and proceeded home. I imagine it might have gone a little differently if I gave him the finger.

Reactions: poorpreacher
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT