ADVERTISEMENT

Monken mentioned for Jets and TB OC positions

PapaSweetsDawg

Emotional Hedge Fund Manager
Gold Member
Aug 25, 2003
gonna be a looooong offseason hoping our guy comes back (and stays through Raiola):

TB

QUESTION: Who would you like to see replace Byron Leftwich as offensive coordinator?​

ANSWER: I’ve written extensively in previous Bucs Monday Mailbags and my SR’s Fab 5 column about my desire to see Georgia offensive coordinator Todd Monken return to Tampa Bay and lead the Bucs offense next year. Monken was with the Bucs as a receivers coach in 2016 and then called plays under Dirk Koetter from 2017-18.

He does a great job of mixing the run into his pass-first offense, and has shown he can work with a defensive-minded head coach in Kirby Smart. The Bulldogs have gone 36-3 with Monken calling plays, winning a national championship last year and making a return appearance to defend their title on Monday night against TCU after an undefeated season.

The Bucs’ brass is fond of Monken from his previous stint in Tampa Bay, and head coach Todd Bowles is familiar with Monken and the Bulldogs coaching staff. Bowles’ son, Troy, is a Georgia commit and will play linebacker for Smart’s defense in 2023. I could see the Bucs reaching out to him to see if there is any interest from Monken. He’s making $2 million as Georgia’s offensive coordinator.

I’ve also mentioned that former Texans head coach Bill O’Brien would be a good option, especially if Tom Brady returns. O’Brien coached Brady in New England from 2009-11 and called plays in his last two seasons there before leaving for Houston. But there are some strong rumors that O’Brien would return to the Patriots this offseason after spending the 2022 season as the play-caller at Alabama.

Jets:

Todd Monken, University of Georgia offensive coordinator: He was a hot head coaching candidate in 2019, when he interviewed with the Jets, but he didn’t get hired and moved to the college ranks after a disastrous season as Freddie Kitchens’ OC with the Browns. In three seasons at Georgia, Monken has helped the Bulldogs to two straight national championships with an ever-adapting offense that makes him a perfect fit to get the most out of the players the Jets have added that were best suited for their current zone-blocking, play-action heavy scheme. If Monken has any interest in leaving the college ranks, the Jets could be the perfect opportunity to get back on the NFL head coaching radar.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News