ADVERTISEMENT

Monty Rice..

He's certainly got the right to say whatever he wants, but he needs to have his big boy pants on to deal with the consequences of his words.

if he’s entitled to say whatever he wants, why are people getting butthurt over his opinion?! Because people don’t agree with him, he needs to shut up and tackle. I’ve yet to see anyone tell Herschel to shut up and run or shut up and fight. Why is that? Easy answer, because they agree with his opinion. If he didn’t think the way that he did, the same people who tell Monty to shut up and tackle would be dismissing his(Herschel’s) opinion.

Reactions: rednblack4life
I sympathize with Monty Rice and I understand how hurt he and I'm sure many other African American athletes that represent UGA felt by Hershel Walker's cameo on the RNC.

Funny the double standard for some on twitter.
how does a uga athlete feel hurt by HW appearance at RNC?

You know Trump was against busing in the 70s (The NAACP called Trump's proposal during the busing debate “an anti-black amendment.”) , he also helped pass a horrible criminal reform bill in 1994 that put so many black Americans in jail, he was also called one of the most racist people to run for the presidency by kamala harris (his running mate), and he also said if you don't vote for me as a white liberal i have a right to tell you that you aren't black. Let's not forget his recent comments on the mentality of Black Community compared to the Latino Community. So as you can clearly see above Trump is a blatant racist. ;)

@rednblack4life

if he’s entitled to say whatever he wants, why are people getting butthurt over his opinion?! Because people don’t agree with him, he needs to shut up and tackle. I’ve yet to see anyone tell Herschel to shut up and run or shut up and fight. Why is that? Easy answer, because they agree with his opinion. If he didn’t think the way that he did, the same people who tell Monty to shut up and tackle would be dismissing his(Herschel’s) opinion.
He’s entitled to say it, just like people are entitled to disagree with it. The problem is with what he called HW. How’s that so hard to grasp?

He's not getting backlash for any political viewpoint or speaking out - he's getting backlash for posting a screenshot of Herschel speaking at the RNC with a banner of a racial slur above it (presumably because he takes issue with HW speaking about his own political viewpoint - how ironic).

Monty needs to grow up. He's getting a lesson in being an adult in the real world right now, so maybe he will.
I have seen tweets from more of our players today as well ....a little disappointing

Reactions: dogstud
Seems to me you just look at Herschel as a dumb, physically imposing joke. Whereas, i see him as a natural born leader and great man regardless of skin color or size.

Where did I ever say or imply that Herschel was "dumb" or a "joke"? You're reading between lines that aren't there. The very nature of the term "say it to his face" implies a physical threat & that goes back to just about every interaction I've ever seen or been a part of. Nothing to do with anybody's mental acuity.

Reactions: celticdawg
I read that differently than you did.. I think what the W&W said was right.. many times a person will say something on social media that they will not say to someone face to face.. usually people show more respect in person then they do on social media and that's across the board. I think if Monty has a problem or any other player then have them talk to Herschel face to face and express their views and he will express his.. nothing physical about that IMO. It's part of the learning process. I agree it is perfectly acceptable to disagree, but posting a picture of herschel with a racist comment attacking him is another thing. If you think that is okay way to communicate about someone you disagree with I don't know what to say to you.

(now on the other hand if what W&W is saying is a physical altercation then I obviously disagree)..
If that is what he meant then I would agree with you. I always think if two people can sit down & discuss their differences in opinion rather than spouting on social media it would be much more productive. I definitely took his "say it to his face" line to mean a physical altercation however.

Reactions: Kylo Ren
I have seen tweets from more of our players today as well ....a little disappointing
I don’t understand. If Herschel is allowed to speak his political views then why are these players not afforded the same right. Could it be you just agree with Herschel’s viewpoint and not the players?

Reactions: rednblack4life

it's remarkable that some of you are so surprised and disappointed that a team with a high population of young black men would care deeply about issues that impact young black men

you'd think maybe people here would step back and ask our players why they think these issues are important to them

Monty may have misspoken and can learn from that mistake. But saying that the other political tweets by our players is disappointing is exactly what Monty's latest post is about and is exactly why so many players are supporting him.

Absolutely not, but I can understand how that could have hurt many in that community. Unfortunately my last post was deleted but I said I sympathize with Monty and understand how Hershel Walkers cameo could have been hurtful.

And if you cant understand that then its people like you who are the problem in our society.
If it’s hurtful to Monty then it’s his problem and not Herschel’s. By your logic and montys, anyone who doesn’t agree with you are bad humans. Very open minded of both of you.

As for the second part of your logic, should any/all people feel hurt when another person of their color doesn’t subscribe to their beliefs or appears in the opposite party as you? You’re just the kind of person we need leading this discussion/debate. You make a ton of sense

Reactions: ephesiandawg
If Monty has a problem with HW, I would love to see him get aggressive to his face

this is truly getting embarrassing how many of you think that a player should have to fight Herschel to disagree with him

Maybe y'all should go to the locker room yourselves and tell Monty to his face what he should and shouldn't be saying

Reactions: bakermb and DOGF
We have had to delete a ton of responses in this thread for being political. I will move it to the chat and folks can continue to discuss the politics there

Reactions: GATA Dawgs
I think Herschel has accomplished some great things in his life and his opinion should be respected whether you disagree with it or not. If people would show respect towards others, they would be amazed at how many more people listen to their opinions. Maybe one day with name, image, and likeness, more college athletes would understand the repercussions of using their platform in negative ways.

I was always taught to respect your elders. I do not understand why some people are arguing that a young man should have a voice to be so disrespectful.

He’s entitled to say it, just like people are entitled to disagree with it. The problem is with what he called HW. How’s that so hard to grasp?

Imagine getting worked up over a word directed towards a person of color BY a person of color. Please find something else to get upset about, lmaooo. Herschel is not a god. Let’s stop treating him as such. If Monty has said this about anyone else, this thread wouldn’t exist.

Why is he getting upset over someone's opinion of his opinion? It sounds like he wants to say whatever the hell he wants, and doesnt want anyone to say anything back to him about it.

Sorry, doesnt work that way. Futhermore, it was a racist comment. If anyone of us had said it we'd be burned at the stake.

He's not getting backlash for any political viewpoint or speaking out - he's getting backlash for posting a screenshot of Herschel speaking at the RNC with a banner of a racial slur above it (presumably because he takes issue with HW speaking about his own political viewpoint - how ironic).

Monty needs to grow up. He's getting a lesson in being an adult in the real world right now, so maybe he will.
An attitude derived from watching, reading and listening to people who have a vested interest in making Trump look bad is nothing but noise.
HW spoke from actual, personal, up close experience. Which do ya reckon is the most accurate?

Imagine getting worked up over a word directed towards a person of color BY a person of color. Please find something else to get upset about, lmaooo. Herschel is not a god. Let’s stop treating him as such. If Monty has said this about anyone else, this thread wouldn’t exist.
Wrong is wrong. Not worked up but I’m also not gonna act like it’s okay. Nobody said any of the other things you are saying, so go on somewhere with all the words you’re putting in everyone else’s mouth

Why is he getting upset over someone's opinion of his opinion? It sounds like he wants to say whatever the hell he wants, and doesnt want anyone to say anything back to him about it.

Sorry, doesnt work that way.

Is he not entitled to say whatever he wants? Serious question

Sorry, doesnt work that way.

If the general opinion here were saying Monty should’ve chosen his words better but he has a right to an opinion it’s one thing

But many people here are saying Monty should get beaten up by Herschel and that it’s disappointing other players are expressing political opinions on social media. A lot of people don’t want Monty or other players talking about these issues at all.

There’s a common attitude of supporting our players when they use their platform for something we agree with and telling them to shut up when they something we don’t agree with

Reactions: GATA Dawgs
If the general opinion here were saying Monty should’ve chosen his words better but he has a right to an opinion it’s one thing

But many people here are saying Monty should get beaten up by Herschel and that it’s disappointing other players are expressing political opinions on social media

There’s a common attitude of supporting our players when they use their platform for something we agree with and telling them to shut up when they something we don’t agree with

Disagreeing would be one thing. He threw out a racial slur, he deserves whatever he gets.

Wrong is wrong. Not worked up but I’m also not gonna act like it’s okay. Nobody said any of the other things you are saying, so go on somewhere with all the words you’re putting in everyone else’s mouth
Well, I’m as black as both Herschel and Monty, so excuse me for saying something that holds some truth. I’ve seen former players use poor words towards another player and a thread didn’t exist about it. I get it though, when you say something negative about the poster boy, it’s an issue, lol. When it isn’t about the poster boy, by all means, carry on with your comment. Figures, lol.

Well, I’m as black as both Herschel and Monty, so excuse me for saying something that holds some truth. I’ve seen former players use poor words towards another player and a thread didn’t exist about it. I get it though, when you say something negative about the poster boy, it’s an issue, lol. When it isn’t about the poster boy, by all means, carry on with your comment. Figures, lol.
What part of “wrong is wrong” are you incapable of grasping?

You know Trump was against busing in the 70s (The NAACP called Trump's proposal during the busing debate “an anti-black amendment.”) , he also helped pass a horrible criminal reform bill in 1994 that put so many black Americans in jail, he was also called one of the most racist people to run for the presidency by kamala harris (his running mate), and he also said if you don't vote for me as a white liberal i have a right to tell you that you aren't black. Let's not forget his recent comments on the mentality of Black Community compared to the Latino Community. So as you can clearly see above Trump is a blatant racist. ;)

I think you meant to say all these things about Joe Biden, not Donald Trump. Biden was against all these things and is the true racist.

Reactions: Kylo Ren

But many people here are saying Monty should get beaten up by Herschel and that it’s disappointing other players are expressing political opinions on social media. A lot of people don’t want Monty or other players talking about these issues at all.

Bingo! The moment our players say something people don’t agree with, they’re being told to shut up. I’ve seen it happen towards Kendall Milton, Rian Davis, Brian Herrien, etc. if all of those people said things that aligned with Herschel Walker, those people would be placed on a pedestal. They’d be untouchable. Let them start talking about social injustices and people will start spazzing out, lol. It never gets old.

I think Rice needs to watch the first game from his couch in Athens. Show a little respect for people. What would he think or do if I said the same thing about him? He would go crazy!

Reactions: scdawg24
What part of “wrong is wrong” are you incapable of grasping?

And what part of being entitled to say whatever you want are you incapable of grasping? Show me where I’ve said he’s right for saying what he said? People are bent out of shape because it was towards Herschel. Point blank period.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT