ADVERTISEMENT

Move Over Law - Ticket Advice

poochpup

Diehard supporter
Gold Member
Jul 12, 2003
@OlecountryDawg and anyone else. Got a ticket today on 4-lane, Toccoa bypass. I came up on two state troopers in right hand median. I was in right lane. Yes, there siren lights were turned on. I was not speeding. Went by 1st car. Then 2nd. It was at that time, I saw they had someone else pulled over. All of a sudden, one of those fellas done flagged and pulled me over. Asked why I did not move over when I saw lights. Had I ever heard of "Move Over" law. I said, officer I honestly have not. I said I did not even know why you guys were in the median but I thought I was safe. I was under speed limit. He proceeds to explain the rationale behind the law. I said I understood but I had never heard it; didn't know I was suppose to move-over by law. Said I didn't know if you guys were just sitting there waiting on someone else, checking speed, etc... He proceeds to write me up a ticket. I was hoping for a warning. All this happens with a few seconds of course. Come home, look it up, and yep, I read it. But how am I supposed to know that law? I hadn't been sent anything in the mail. Had not seen it posted. And my driving record is clean as a whistle. I see the fine could be up to $500 in GA. Trooper told me to wait two weeks before I called the county courthouse. Two weeks??? So on my way I go... within 200 yards I see another car had been pulled over but in the center median of the 4-lane. Think they were after folks today! Should I take it to court and hope for a warning from da judge; or reduced fine; or just pay the lovely folks of Stephens County full fine? Kind of ticked he didn't just give me a warning. But I do understand the rationale.

I'm not an attorney so I will let one of our fine folks tell you about fighting the ticket.

However, since every state now has this law and Georgia has had it for almost 20 years I think, I don't think that defense is going to get you far. I know some states definitely have signs on the roadside and I will bet that you will now see them.

Good luck my friend.

Reactions: poochpup
I'm not an attorney so I will let one of our fine folks tell you about fighting the ticket.

However, since every state now has this law and Georgia has had it for almost 20 years I think, I don't think that defense is going to get you far. I know some states definitely have signs on the roadside and I will bet that you will now see them.

Good luck my friend.
Thx. Not really wanting to fight it. Just hoping to get it reduced. )

Reactions: celticdawg
Pay the ticket and go on with your life.

1. You dont really have a defense
2. Even if you did, you would lose.

Take it from me. You cant win a traffic ticket vs. the State Patrol. You have a chance against city or county guys. Not the GSP.

I was once given a ticket, by the GSP, about a mile from my house, on a dead end dirt road, in Washington County. It was at about 10:00 PM.

Long story short, the patrolman LIED through his teeth, about the whole scenario.

I have an aunt who works for the local judge. I called her the next day. Her advice to me was the same, as what I gave you.

Pay the ticket. You wont win in court.

Innocent until proven guilty doesnt exist in traffic court.

Pay the ticket and go on with your life.

1. You dont really have a defense
2. Even if you did, you would lose.

Take it from me. You cant win a traffic ticket vs. the State Patrol. You have a chance against city or county guys. Not the GSP.

I was once given a ticket, by the GSP, about a mile from my house, on a dead end dirt road, in Washington County. It was at about 10:00 PM.

Long story short, the patrolman LIED through his teeth, about the whole scenario.

I have an aunt who works for the local judge. I called her the next day. Her advice to me was the same, as what I gave you.

Pay the ticket. You wont win in court.

Innocent until proven guilty doesnt exist in traffic court.
GSP = God's Special Police
Bunch of d**kweeds that group is.

@OlecountryDawg and anyone else. Got a ticket today on 4-lane, Toccoa bypass. I came up on two state troopers in right hand median. I was in right lane. Yes, there siren lights were turned on. I was not speeding. Went by 1st car. Then 2nd. It was at that time, I saw they had someone else pulled over. All of a sudden, one of those fellas done flagged and pulled me over. Asked why I did not move over when I saw lights. Had I ever heard of "Move Over" law. I said, officer I honestly have not. I said I did not even know why you guys were in the median but I thought I was safe. I was under speed limit. He proceeds to explain the rationale behind the law. I said I understood but I had never heard it; didn't know I was suppose to move-over by law. Said I didn't know if you guys were just sitting there waiting on someone else, checking speed, etc... He proceeds to write me up a ticket. I was hoping for a warning. All this happens with a few seconds of course. Come home, look it up, and yep, I read it. But how am I supposed to know that law? I hadn't been sent anything in the mail. Had not seen it posted. And my driving record is clean as a whistle. I see the fine could be up to $500 in GA. Trooper told me to wait two weeks before I called the county courthouse. Two weeks??? So on my way I go... within 200 yards I see another car had been pulled over but in the center median of the 4-lane. Think they were after folks today! Should I take it to court and hope for a warning from da judge; or reduced fine; or just pay the lovely folks of Stephens County full fine? Kind of ticked he didn't just give me a warning. But I do understand the rationale.

First I was there so I am not going to second guess the officer . My simple question is this , was the left lane clear ? If so then your guilty . If it’s not safe to move over then you slow down typically 10 mph below the posted speed limit .

as soon as you see blue lights or red lights or amber ( yellow ) lights start working you away over .

I think everyone should be included in the law . Anytime you see anyone on the side of the road move over .

You can call the court clerk and explain the situation and ask if driving school is a option .

I don’t know anything thing about the court system where you live but I do know here the fine will be 500 . I have almost gotten hit because someone failed to move over . I jump down a embankment to keep from getting hit . A friend was hit before and it ended his careee . I ain’t mad at you . But there been all kinds of PSAs over the years about the law .

Shoulda rolled out of the car onto the ground with arms raised high screaming "don't beat me, officer, PLEASE!".

Seriously, I'd wait to see what the fine is and if any points are involved. If high, I'd probably try to stop by to see Merry and just ask for advice. The worst she can do is tell you to pay the fine.

What was the last name of the trooper, if you don't mind sharing? Or, you can DM me.

Reactions: George Hayduke
GSP = God's Special Police
Bunch of d**kweeds that group is.

Ehhh.....I don't know about that. I've had several interactions with the GSP over the years. All but one have been good experiences.

I was pulled over, by the GSP, on I-16 in Treutlen County. The patrolman was excellent. Courteous, professional, respectful. He wrote me a ticket, (I was speeding) but did some things to ease the pain a bit.

I was pulled over by GSP, recently, here in Franklin County. I was not wearing my seatbelt. Again the patrolman was courteous and professional. He gave me a verbal warning and I was on my way.

Now, the guy who pulled me over in Washington County was a jerk. He absolutely lied about his location, when the violation occurred. He lied about my location, when the incident occurred. He lied about my speed. He lied about the distance he followed me, before eventually pulling me over.

I was traveling down Hwy. 272 and made right hand turn, on the dirt road, leading to my home. There is a driveway, directly across from the dirt road. The GSP was backed in the driveway, when I turned on the dirt road. I saw him there, as I made my turn. I saw his headlights come on. I saw him drive across 272, onto the dirt road, behind me. About 1/2 mile down the dirt road, he pulled me over. Said I had been traveling 70 mph.

I said there was no way, I had to slow down to turn onto the dirt road.

He claimed I was speeding way back on the highway.... He claimed he had been following me for the past 2 miles, on the highway...... finally stopping me on the dirt road.

I was speeding on a state highway.....But he didn't pull me over, until I turned on a dead end dirt road, at night, in the middle of nowhere. Right.

He was a liar and a jerk. But I don't judge the entire department, based on one idiot.

Last edited:
Wouldn’t hire a lawyer, but I would definitely go to court if the amount is $500.

Just explain the way you did here, emphasizing a clean driving record.

I’ve had mine thrown out before. For that amount, you probably got more to gain than lose.

Get a copy of your Georgia Motor Vehicle Report after court to see the date of the violation. It is usually the day you went to court.

Pooch, just explain to the judge that you have long been enrolled in Dawg Chat driving school, but the instructor did not cover the Move Over Law until today. When the judge asks who the instructor is, you tell him it’s OCD, the finest mall cop in Alerdambammer. With good behavior, your jail sentence will be short.

• Haha
Reactions: poochpup
Get a copy of your Georgia Motor Vehicle Report after court to see the date of the violation. It is usually the day you went to court.
Date of violation was yesterday. Court date is July 7. Not sure what you’re trying to say.

Pooch, just explain to the judge that you have long been enrolled in Dawg Chat driving school, but the instructor did not cover the Move Over Law until today. When the judge asks who the instructor is, you tell him it’s OCD, the finest mall cop in Alerdambammer. With good behavior, your jail sentence will be short.

The highways and byways would be better if I was the instructor because half would fail . This going around a city block ain’t getting it done . I would make mandatory for all drivers have drivers education. I also remind them driving is a privilege and not a right .

if you get three tickets in three years , you must repeat driving school and test . If you pass a school bus that letting kids off or kids getting on , then you lose your driving privileges for six years .

Reactions: Stonewall Browne
I got a “move over” ticket in a town north of Athens known to be a speed trap coming back from seeing the Dawgs play.

Basically they had two police cars at each stop. Once somebody passed by without moving over, then one car would pull out and pull the violator over and the other car would finish and pull up behind the one pulled over... over and over and over apparently because I showed up to court and there were 60 plus people there one weekday morning for move over violations.

Mine was complete BS - it wasn’t safe to move over, and I was approaching a traffic signal. They were actually a full lane over outside the deceleration lane. I was hugging the center line going maybe 10mph when I passed them. GA law allows for circumstances where you can’t move over. Happens everyday on interstates in the ATL.

So anywho, I show up in court and there are so many people in court, they brought the defendants up in groups of 5 or 6 and explained that you could pay $50 (I think - might have been more) and it wouldn’t be reported to your insurance company.

Or you had the right to fight it and come back to court another day - in Superior Court. I wanted to fight it because it is was a complete money making scam but it wasn’t worth my time.

Nothing wrong with the move over law... just BS when it is abused by the law.

I got a “move over” ticket in a town north of Athens known to be a speed trap coming back from seeing the Dawgs play.

Basically they had two police cars at each stop. Once somebody passed by without moving over, then one car would pull out and pull the violator over and the other car would finish and pull up behind the one pulled over... over and over and over apparently because I showed up to court and there were 60 plus people there one weekday morning for move over violations.

Mine was complete BS - it wasn’t safe to move over, and I was approaching a traffic signal. They were actually a full lane over outside the deceleration lane. I was hugging the center line going maybe 10mph when I passed them. GA law allows for circumstances where you can’t move over. Happens everyday on interstates in the ATL.

So anywho, I show up in court and there are so many people in court, they brought the defendants up in groups of 5 or 6 and explained that you could pay $50 (I think - might have been more) and it wouldn’t be reported to your insurance company.

Or you had the right to fight it and come back to court another day - in Superior Court. I wanted to fight it because it is was a complete money making scam but it wasn’t worth my time.

agree, complete BS & a scam.

all in fun.
just a great song.

Funny, I thought congress just did away with police and incarnations? GPS must not have gotten the memo. Just ignore the ticket.

It’s kind of obvious what they’re all about when you can pay your ticket on their website. Www.arcadetix.com.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT