ADVERTISEMENT

Now perhaps you understand why the data about COVID-19...

for someone unwilling to let their children get vaccinated because they’re scared of the long term effects of vaccines, I’m surprised you’re so willing to ask our players to contract COVID despite the lack of data on the long term effects of COVID

I suspect this is because you don’t really care about our players, but I’ll let you craft your narrative

Virus has a 0.5% death rate and that includes asymptomatic positives. Vast majority of those who are affected by this seriously are elderly and/or already very ill.

Anyone who has researched this virus understands these very simple facts. But you are not at that level yet and instead are scared of something that is simply not affecting healthy Infants, kids Or adults any more than a bad cold at the very worst.

As I told you last week when you were spinning Alabama false narratives on the Vault - “this is all way over your head.” Just save us all your ignorance and inaccurate statements and drama, read for a couple years and maybe start posting again around 2023. You’re just way off on everything.

for someone unwilling to let their children get vaccinated because they’re scared of the long term effects of vaccines, I’m surprised you’re so willing to ask our players to contract COVID despite the lack of data on the long term effects of COVID

I suspect this is because you don’t really care about our players, but I’ll let you craft your narrative
You're just trolling. You almost got me, but I thought better of it.

Have a good evening.

Virus has a 0.5% death rate and that includes asymptomatic positives. Vast majority of those who are affected by this seriously are elderly and/or already very ill.

Anyone who has researched this virus understands these very simple facts. But you are not at that level yet and instead are scared of something that is simply not affecting healthy Infants, kids Or adults any more than a bad cold at the very worst.

As I told you last week when you were spinning Alabama false narratives on the Vault - “this is all way over your head.” Just save us all your ignorance and inaccurate statements and drama, read for a couple years and maybe start posting again around 2023. You’re just way off on everything.

a 0.5% death rate means 1 out of 200 who contract it die

we’ve seen dozens contract in MLB already despite far fewer playing than would occur across cfb

how many deaths are an acceptable risk in your mind?

Will players be less likely to get covid if the season is cancelled? If they’re all out on their own as opposed to a monitored environment when they’re tested weekly? Arguments about how lethal covid is aside, how does this actually help them?

Who has died from heat exhaustion this year?
This week, the HBO newsmagazine show "Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel" reported that "since the year 2000, 30 players have died as a result of college football workouts." The cause: heat stroke, which is completely preventable if college officials overseeing grueling practices – usually athletic trainers – can identify a stricken player's physical distress while it's happening and immediately have him immersed in a nearby ice bath.

Yes. Thirty dead players in 18 years, or nearly two every year.

This week, the HBO newsmagazine show "Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel" reported that "since the year 2000, 30 players have died as a result of college football workouts." The cause: heat stroke, which is completely preventable if college officials overseeing grueling practices – usually athletic trainers – can identify a stricken player's physical distress while it's happening and immediately have him immersed in a nearby ice bath.

Yes. Thirty dead players in 18 years, or nearly two every year.

nearly two every year is an awful number. The marlyland coach that was the latest example deserved to be in jail for negligence.

you’re saying 2 COVID deaths is an acceptable risk?

nearly two every year is an awful number. The marlyland coach that was the latest example deserved to be in jail for negligence.

How does cancelling the season prevent the 2 theoretical covid deaths? Are you expecting all college aged athletes to self-isolate until a vaccine is available to the public?

Bottom line is I’m right and you can’t admit it. No college football players have died from COVID and the chance that one does is so minuscule that it pales in comparison to the other risks they encounter every day.

we’ve seen dozens contract in MLB already despite far fewer playing than would occur across cfb

0.5% death rate is too high.

And even if 0.5% rate, that rate is *very different* across age groups. Like hundreds of times more weighted to over 65.

The death rate for a college athlete for COVID-19 is literally so small the CDC cannot track it.

(Shakes head and says again "this is why we are fighting for football and everything else")

What’s an acceptable risk to you?

Based on this thread @VHDawg53 logic goes something like this:

The only way football can be played is if there is zero risk of a single Covid related death or other long term physical effect. If you don’t believe this you don’t care about the players, only your own entertainment.

This makes me wonder how he and others like him justify being a fan of football at all, a physically risky sport with already proven risk for long term physical and mental ailments. To be truly consistent, he ought to denounce football as a sport altogether and never support by watching another game, otherwise he doesn’t care about the players.

This is of course unbelievably stupid, but it is the line of thinking we’re forced to combat. Very frustrating.

What’s an acceptable risk to you?
Here is the CDC death risk by age group for C19 - notice the percentage is so small for 15-24 (including college age) it renders as "0.00%" across the entire chart for every week of the year up to week 28.

Why in the hell are we thinking of cancelling college football again?

7sSNFhG.jpg

The only way football can be played is if there is zero risk of a single Covid related death or other long term physical effect. If you don’t believe this you don’t care about the players, only your own entertainment.

This makes me wonder how he and others like him justify being a fan of football at all, a physically risky sport with already proven risk for long term physical and mental ailments. To be truly consistent, he ought to denounce football as a sport altogether and never support by watching another game, otherwise he doesn’t care about the players.

This is of course unbelievably stupid, but it is the line of thinking we’re forced to combat. Very frustrating.
Yes sir. This.

Welcome to the world of the snowflake. They drive every day and don’t realize auto accidents are the number 1 killer of healthy adults every year. Yet they want to destroy the nation and everything it stands for over a methhead in Minnesota and a virus with an 0.5% death rate. These are not rational people, but they are putty in the hands of the national media ....

Welcome to the world of the snowflake. They drive every day and don’t realize auto accidents are the number 1 killer of healthy adults every year. Yet they want to destroy the nation and everything it stands for over a methhead in Minnesota and a virus with an 0.5% death rate. These are not rational people, but they are putty in the hands of the national media ....
Driving alone wearing a mask o_O

was so damn critical and why I kept posting it. The ignorance of what is really happening with this disease has brought us to this point... and if @jasonsDawg and @athensdawg88 are hearing right the season is in peril.

You care about college football? Your life in general?

You need to take this chart below and shove it up the virtual hind parts of everyone you know who matters in this state. COVID-19 is receding in Georgia, just like it is in Arizona and other places. A Nobel prize winner at Stanford says it is not coming back. Scientists around the world are backing him up more every day.

Perhaps we only end up with a season played within the SEC but at least we can show the rest of the country how to live life.

Shit happens folks. Tough things come up. We can cower in a corner, or we can deal with it like smart, tough adults. I been to some shitty corners of this world, and I never found once where backing up, or hiding from facts, ever worked.

And if you are ignoring the facts of who this disease threatens and who is does not at this point you are a lost cause. Continue sheltering in place.

In the meantime somebody has to *lead*. Lots of you reading this board matter in this state (and beyond it). Stand up and be counted. If we think hell raised across an entire region will not matter, we are not paying attention to the news. Squeaky wheels do - in fact - get the grease.

If we want our lives back we are apparently going to have to take them back, with decency and respect, but with all due haste and insistence.

Cases in Georgia per the Georgia Department of Public Health as of 3pm 08 AUG 2020 - a 40% drop in just over 2 weeks:

C9u5V0T.jpg
That's a cool chart you made there. You must be good at Photoshop.

This thread is an obvious example of why shutting everything down is not good... simply for the mental health of our society. And that is directed to the insane remarks by both sides of this argument.

Personally, I am 100% for playing this fall. We trust 18-22 year olds to have enough self-knowledge to sign up to go to war; they should be granted the personal choice to play football if they want to. It's that simple. Yet, the verbiage used to be either pro or against playing is the reason why the solution has gotten so extremist. There has to be a gray area. We've got to get away from the all or nothing mentality. Let them play if they want to. It's personal responsibility.

was so damn critical and why I kept posting it. The ignorance of what is really happening with this disease has brought us to this point... and if @jasonsDawg and @athensdawg88 are hearing right the season is in peril.

You care about college football? Your life in general?

You need to take this chart below and shove it up the virtual hind parts of everyone you know who matters in this state. COVID-19 is receding in Georgia, just like it is in Arizona and other places. A Nobel prize winner at Stanford says it is not coming back. Scientists around the world are backing him up more every day.

Perhaps we only end up with a season played within the SEC but at least we can show the rest of the country how to live life.

Shit happens folks. Tough things come up. We can cower in a corner, or we can deal with it like smart, tough adults. I been to some shitty corners of this world, and I never found once where backing up, or hiding from facts, ever worked.

And if you are ignoring the facts of who this disease threatens and who is does not at this point you are a lost cause. Continue sheltering in place.

In the meantime somebody has to *lead*. Lots of you reading this board matter in this state (and beyond it). Stand up and be counted. If we think hell raised across an entire region will not matter, we are not paying attention to the news. Squeaky wheels do - in fact - get the grease.

If we want our lives back we are apparently going to have to take them back, with decency and respect, but with all due haste and insistence.

Cases in Georgia per the Georgia Department of Public Health as of 3pm 08 AUG 2020 - a 40% drop in just over 2 weeks:

C9u5V0T.jpg
I am not in the least afraid of covid - if it’s my time it’s my time. Nothing more to it.
NONE of this bullshit is worth trashing our country, our lives, our economy over. Americans need to wake up and refuse this bullshit. People die, always have, always will. Move on, get back to school and work.

Go back to your bunker and hide there for the rest of your life. Covid does not scare me - find me a hot chick with it and I’ll tongue kiss her right now and will sleep like a baby right after.

This thread is an obvious example of why shutting everything down is not good... simply for the mental health of our society. And that is directed to the insane remarks by both sides of this argument.

Personally, I am 100% for playing this fall. We trust 18-22 year olds to have enough self-knowledge to sign up to go to war; they should be granted the personal choice to play football if they want to. It's that simple. Yet, the verbiage used to be either pro or against playing is the reason why the solution has gotten so extremist. There has to be a gray area. We've got to get away from the all or nothing mentality. Let them play if they want to. It's personal responsibility.
Agreed. This is the problem. C19 "mitigation" has continually morphed into removing any personal decision-making or individual risk assessment.

The players (mostly) want to play. The fans (mostly) want to at least watch if not attend. Both of those things can be accommodated safely.

What is the issue, beyond a lunatic howling fringe misrepresenting the risk and the data to impose... what? Their personal fears upon the rest of us?

Because the disease has never threatened the players nor most of the fans, and the disease is receding now (which most people do not understand because of constant media disinformation).

I *hate* the snowflake language. It does not tend to bring us together, and we need more unity and less division.

However, there is plain truth in it too. We have become risk-averse to the point that we think there is some kind of world where risk does not exist and that if we are not living in it that no-risk world it is because of something you, me or the government is doing wrong.

That is the essence of "snowflake" culture to me. Believing in the myth of risk-free life, and trafficking in the rage that is directed towards those "at fault" that such safety is not found.

Unfortunately I think we’re at the point were common sense and even facts don’t matter and everything is driven by fear opinions and politics. I pray for better days

It's been that way from the beginning, particularly the political aspect.

The media stokes fear as a means of generating revenue, then the politicians, particularly those on the Democrat side of the aisle, jump on board so they can gain political capital.

Guess who is already allied with these Democrat politicians and can further muddy the waters while stoking fear in our citizens? Many of these federal health care officials are in the bag and are happy to go right along.

I've said it before and I'll say it again before this thread is closed or I'm kicked out of here forever; this has been the greatest political boondoggle in the history of our nation.

Agreed. This is the problem. C19 "mitigation" has continually morphed into removing any personal decision-making or individual risk assessment.

The players (mostly) want to play. The fans (mostly) want to at least watch if not attend. Both of those things can be accommodated safely.

What is the issue, beyond a lunatic howling fringe misrepresenting the risk and the data to impose... what? Their personal fears upon the rest of us?

Because the disease has never threatened the players nor most of the fans, and the disease is receding now (which most people do not understand because of constant media disinformation).

In June I walked into my barber shop for my monthly haircut. The barber is an old friend from high school, we played football together, and I've enjoyed his friendship because he is a fellow Georgia fan and I look forward to our discussions.

On this particular day, my friend the barber told me that I must wear a mask while he cuts my hair or I would have to leave the shop. I told him there were no mandates requiring me to wear the mask, plus I have a heart condition which requires a pacemaker and I do not feel comfortable covering my face and possibly restricting my oxygen flow.

This decision should be left up to me, correct? In accordance with my own personal risk assessment and what I feel is best for me, correct?

He didn't feel that way, so after 35 years I told him what I thought about his business practices and I found someone who was willing to do business with me.

Ok. So how many of these MLB players that have contracted this vicious virus have passed on from it?

True if that 200 people was a Cross section of society. But in this context it’s not a cross section of society, it’s 200 alpha athletes aged 18-22. Look at the stats in this age range, there’s very little chance of a bad outcome.

Reactions: HuntinDawg
cases are down from levels that were >3x our peak in April. Now we are only >2x as high as April.

At the end of the day you’re asking 200 college students to risk their health for our entertainment for every single game. It’s not crazy to postpone that in light of other limits put upon society.

But maybe they can spread inflections so we can hasten herd immunity given the danger of vaccines

See, this is the type of thinking that bugs the crap out of me. Do you really think the number of cases back in April- when we were seeing more Covid-related deaths than we are now- was even remotely accurate? Back then the only people who even qualified to get tested were those at the point of needing hospitalization, or health care workers. Millions have had Covid- especially early in the pandemic- without being officially counted as a documented case. That’s why the estimates from the CDC & others are that the true case count is anywhere from 8-15x higher than has been reported. Come on, man, I can’t believe we’re still having to explain things like this at this point.

I 've got 3 friends who were called and told that they tested positive for Covid 19 and they were NEVER TESTED!
Let's please stay away from that topic. That is precisely the kind of "shiny object" that has allowed people to distract from the reality of what C19 is (and is not).

It threatens the older with conditions. It does not threaten most everyone else - especially college athletes.

It is receding on a predictable and sharp timeline that is already bringing down hospitalizations nicely and will soon bring down deaths.

This is what matters right now - the truth of what is happening with the disease, not the half-truth propaganda pushed by the media.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT