ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Pre-Diabetes Advice

Fellow Venters - after almost a year of eating like garbage and not working out and putting on about 20lbs, my annual bloodwork came back with pre-diabetes/borderline diabetes markers. My doctor was super positive and really believes I can get this under control with diet and exercise and that’s the attitude I’m taking as well but I was hoping y’all might have some advice on diet etc, and I’d love to hear anyone’s success story if they’re out there.

I got back on Weight Watchers and I’ve already dropped almost 15lbs, my fasting glucose is trending the right way (I check it about every three days) and I’m getting 40-50 minutes of exercise at least four days a week via my Peloton bike and additional core/strength workouts so I think I’m on the right track. Just looking for any other tips or tricks that might be out there.

Diagnosed 25 years ago. High protein breakfast and watch your carbs throughout the day. Eat several smaller meals. Moderate exercise (walking) 150 minutes/week or vigorous exercise (running, biking, etc) 100 minutes/week. Lay off the sodas, including diet sodas. Keep a1c below 7 and you’ll be fine.

Sounds like you have a good attitude about it. That’s half the battle.

I was in the same boat, started watching Dr berg and Dr Fung on YT, dropped 50lbs in 6 months through keto and IF, that was with no working out! Carbs are the issue not how much you eat. Everything we have been taught about nutrition and what we should be eating is total bullshit and almost criminal! No carbs, limit the fruit, eat healthy fats and protein, you know like your great grandparents did when diabetes wasn't a thing

Yeah there is a great book by Dr. Fung called the Diabetes Code. My father-n-law was borderline prediabetic and I bought that for him and he is now doing great by following the instructions in that book.

Reactions: Tybee16dawg
Fellow Venters - after almost a year of eating like garbage and not working out and putting on about 20lbs, my annual bloodwork came back with pre-diabetes/borderline diabetes markers. My doctor was super positive and really believes I can get this under control with diet and exercise and that’s the attitude I’m taking as well but I was hoping y’all might have some advice on diet etc, and I’d love to hear anyone’s success story if they’re out there.

I got back on Weight Watchers and I’ve already dropped almost 15lbs, my fasting glucose is trending the right way (I check it about every three days) and I’m getting 40-50 minutes of exercise at least four days a week via my Peloton bike and additional core/strength workouts so I think I’m on the right track. Just looking for any other tips or tricks that might be out there.

Cut out all fast food, cut down on sugary drinks, eat lean protein, fish and lots of green vegetables. Keep exercising. Also, eat fiber, most Americans get very little

I was in the same boat, started watching Dr berg and Dr Fung on YT, dropped 50lbs in 6 months through keto and IF, that was with no working out! Carbs are the issue not how much you eat. Everything we have been taught about nutrition and what we should be eating is total bullshit and almost criminal! No carbs, limit the fruit, eat healthy fats and protein, you know like your great grandparents did when diabetes wasn't a thing

My grandparents ate fruit. Just saying

There's no secret to weight loss, though its not easy. Just take in less calories than you burn. The My Fitness Pal app helps with that. Just choose to eat foods that take up a lot of volume in your belly that doesn't have alot of calories. That happens to be chicken and vegetables for the most part. And as far as exercise, no need to kill yourself. Just do what ever you enjoy doing and is fun. Me, I'm having a blast throwing these around daily>

As I said above my father-n-law was in the same boat. Prediabetic, but he is almost 70 years old. I bought dr. fungs's obesity code and it really helped him out. I would recommend a book called How I lost it. You can get it on audible. It is a great listen and it is a guy who has fought to lose weight his entire life. I am about 3 hours in and it's been very helpful. I have done the same. I have fought the battle of my belly and my weight my entire life. I am down about 90 lbs. I got on TRT treatment which I gained about 10 to 15 lbs, but am going back down again. I started at 360 lbs and got to 260 lbs and am at about 275 lbs right now. I lost my weight doing "dirty" keto and intermittent fasting. I did 16/8 in my fasting. I tried 20/4, but couldn't get enough calories to match my TDEE minimum.

The key honestly is tracking what you are eating. You must find the app that works for you. I use myfitnesspal and I have used carb manager in the past. It's worth buying the premium of myfitnesspal for me and it does a great job with you macros. I am restarting "dirty" keto again. I got off it because I am doing a lot of strength training with more protein. One thing I would do is get a dexa scan. It's a great way to see where you body is with visceral fat and other factors. I do dexa scan 2x a year. I would also get a scale that is BIA. After my dexa scan i used my bia to see how accurate that scale is.

You do sound like you are heading in the right direction. I am not a fan of WW. I have been on it myself and i have many friends who have lost a lot of weight on it, but everyone of them has gained it back plus some. It's just not a way personally that I can maintain my whole life. I can however stay on dirty keto. It's easy IMO. I hope you the very best in your journey to being healthy. It's one we all have to battle.

Reactions: fldawg97

Stop drinking! I quit drinking two years in April lost 50 pounds and went from doctor wanting to put me on insulin
to not taking any meds at all! blood pressure and cholesterol dropped to normal.

Reactions: hobokengeorgia
What is the best resource to learn about keto or dirty keto?

Unlike most people, I lost 20 lbs during the pandemic. It took me from February to November and was just excruciating in terms of how slowly it came off. Then from November to 1 week ago I gained 25. I’m determined to get down to a good weight and need to lose about 40-50 lbs. The only thing that ”works” for me is Atkins but now that I’m on the high side of 50, it just comes off so unbelievably slowly.

From what you are doing now, you should be fine. You’re on the right track.

When my son was new, I had elevated A1c, high blood glucose, and high blood pressure at age 32. I had zero time to work out, ate garbage (everything is a special occasion with a new kid) and drove 50 miles each way to work a high stress desk job.

It really woke me up - at 6’ 185#, I wasn’t fat, but I wasn’t healthy. I wanted my counter move to overwhelm everything.

I started by measuring all my food- no modifications, just measuring. I was eating over 3200 calories, so that was easy to get down. I told myself that I would run each morning, but something always came up. So I got a kettlebell, did 100 swings, 20 goblet squats, and 20 overhead lifts with it while fasted in the morning. I can’t tell you how effective that is for burning up excess blood sugar. When able, I’d have a 0 carb breakfast (hard boiled eggs with mayonnaise). 2 days out of every 7, I’d have 400 calories for breakfast and again for dinner. I started 5/3/1 lifting, and later, some tennis and swimming as the kids got older.
Mentally, I thought of myself allergic to sweets. I switched from mochas to black coffee at work. I gave up seed oils and added sugar as much as I could.
That was 7 years ago. Now I can have a beer with my dad or a cupcake that I baked with my daughter, but I never want to go back to where I was. That was the benefit of catching it when I did. Maintenance is a lot easier than getting started.

Reactions: Radi Nabulsi
Five years ago I was diagnosed as type 2 diabetic. My blood sugar was 264 (need to be 130 or below) and my A1C was 13.5 [need to be at 7.0 or below). I started walking for one hour everyday, stopped eating a lot of junk and cut back on sugar. Note, carbs are still a weakness of mine. Within three months my numbers were under control. It’s not easy. It is a life style change. You can still treat yourself on occasion, but things like Krispy Kreme, candy bars, pralines and cream ice cream, and double stuff Oreos are history. There are a lot of sugar free alternatives although there not quite as good. Best of luck.

You are on the right track. Use the ATD mentality. No tricks. Just be disciplined.

Stay away from sugar and crap carbs (breads or pasta that have never sniffed fiber in their wildest dreams). Weight Watchers works as you already know. Stick with that, and routine is the most important element of “regular” exercise. Stretch before each session. Simple. Drink full glass (12-16 oz) of water before each meal and snack.

Fad diets serve little more purpose than as “come here often?” level conversation starters for those of us, who are ruled by fads and pop culture instruction guides. Hey, it’s a life. Buy a greeting card to send/give to an old friend instead. Eat less. Exercise more. Wow! That might work. We game ourselves way too much. Happy Monday!

Last edited:
Reactions: celticdawg

Check out Dr Berg and the keto duet on YouTube.

There are a ton of good diet options out there. Keto works if you stick with it through the first couple of weeks, but don’t get tempted to eat whatever you want on it. Stick to good fatty meats and vegetables, keto doesn’t mean you have to eat bacon every meal.
If you want a more simple starting point, don’t worry about being on a diet and start making an effort to not “shop the aisles” at the grocery store. Focus on the perimeter of the store where you will find your more nutrient dense food. Cutting out processed foods and sugars is a great place to start

What is the best resource to learn about keto or dirty keto?

Unlike most people, I lost 20 lbs during the pandemic. It took me from February to November and was just excruciating in terms of how slowly it came off. Then from November to 1 week ago I gained 25. I’m determined to get down to a good weight and need to lose about 40-50 lbs. The only thing that ”works” for me is Atkins but now that I’m on the high side of 50, it just comes off so unbelievably slowly.
Dr Berg on YT, comes off as a quack. But has changed my life forever and is quick and to the point

Reactions: HuntinDawg

It sounds like you are on the right path. I won't give any diet advice other than slow and steady is the best way to lose weight and keep it off. Another thing, I've seen others recommend weighing daily, but there are too many variable that cause your weight to fluctuate to get an accurate read on a day to day basis. I would weigh weekly instead. You will get an accurate trend line weighing on a weekly basis and you don't want to psych yourself out with daily fluctuations. Also, I would consider swapping out Peloton workouts a couple of days a week with strength building. Keep doing Peloton for cardio, but adding strength building will help with your motivation.

Good luck.

Last edited:
So.. what's your A1C level..?

That's the thing - it doesn't match up at all with my fasting glucose which has my Doctor confused. It pulled at an 8.8 on the blood work that LabCorp did and a week later it was an 8.4 on the in-house test they ran (doc was for sure positive that they had screwed up my A1C test somehow so she wanted it ran again). Based on my fasting glucose levels my A1C should have been around 5.8-6.2, not 8.8.

Keep working to lose the excess wait, check glucose levels daily, keep exercising. Those three things will help you get it under control and help manage it. These things may help you stay off the expensive med. You are off to a great start!

Last edited:

As a type one diabetic, there is a lot of great advice for you in this thread. Reduced to a common denominator, avoid anything white........pasta, bread, rice and potatoes. If you must have a cocktail it should be white wine in moderation. Red contains more sugar. Keep your daily carb intake to 30 grams. Drink as much water as possible. Lipton makes a diet citrus green tea that satisfies if you desire a sweet taste plus it is healthy with antioxidants. Eat plenty of leafy green vegetables which I like to roast in the oven. Strawberries are the perfect fruit. Avoid fast food at all costs. Walk, walk, walk. Controlled diabetes requires a total lifestyle change. Good luck.

Do you just skip breakfast and do lunch/dinner? I like the idea of this but having a 7 month old makes early dinners a bit hard and skipping breakfast to get lunch into that 6-8 hour period where you break the fast is challenging based on my work schedule.
I have rotating shift work, a 6 yr old and an 11 month old. I find intermittent fasting works great for my schedule bc I’m usually occupied with cooking/ feeding kids and don’t have to think about my meals as often. My wife is also same type schedule so majority of the week when I’m at home she’s at work and vice versa. Also set up a home gym that makes everything easier when I have time. Def not for everyone but I’ve seen so many more benefits fasting.

I have rotating shift work, a 6 yr old and an 11 month old. I find intermittent fasting works great for my schedule bc I’m usually occupied with cooking/ feeding kids and don’t have to think about my meals as often. My wife is also same type schedule so majority of the week when I’m at home she’s at work and vice versa. Also set up a home gym that makes everything easier when I have time. Def not for everyone but I’ve seen so many more benefits fasting.
Eliminate Sugar from your diet and the IF becomes really pretty easy. I do a 17-7 most days with absolutely no effort.. I really like a 20-4 fast and will probably move back to that sometime soon.

Reactions: NamWalter

Diagnosed 25 years ago. High protein breakfast and watch your carbs throughout the day. Eat several smaller meals. Moderate exercise (walking) 150 minutes/week or vigorous exercise (running, biking, etc) 100 minutes/week. Lay off the sodas, including diet sodas. Keep a1c below 7 and you’ll be fine.

Sounds like you have a good attitude about it. That’s half the battle.
sounds like you have a good plan going .i have type 2 diabetes, and im going to tell you how to lower your a1c .it may sound crazy but it works. cut up 2-3 pieces of okra put in glass of water let sit overnight remove okra and drink repeat and drink after dinner repeat until you reach desired a1c level, .its slimey and doesnt taste good but it works ,told a couple of men i work with from the phillippines they thought i was crazy probability like you are doing now .but a couple of weeks later came back and told me their government had told their people that since they couldnt buy the medicine for diabetes to consume as much okra as possible.wish you luck either way

Reactions: Kylo Ren
Eat half as much as you’re accustomed... Get used to be a little hungry. Commit to it. Americans consume too many calories...it’s that simple.
Hear! Hear! I weighed 210 in high school and weigh 135 now. There is no secret gimmick or shortcut. IMHO, the single most important thing in losing weight and keeping it off is accepting that being the least bit hungry is not going to kill you.

Drink a premier protein drink right when you get up. The have 1 gram of sugar and 30g protein. It gets your body going and the protein helps fight the carb cravings. They have about 10 different flavors.

Read endurance diet. It is about eating quality food over eating crap. Cutting carbs is a cheap trick that generally doesn’t last but will work in the short term. Endurance diet is better - Eat fruits, vegetables, and quality meats. Eat whole grain unrefined grains. It has been working for me.

Cut/stop starchy carbs and drink only water.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT