ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Puppy advice

I have had boxers, American bulldogs and Labs. Have to say the Labs are the smartest, Americans were the most protective and boxers were just a good dog but liked to jump on the kids a little too much.
It is super easy to teach a dog not to jump on people. It just takes a couple of well timed corrections and then you can’t get them to jump on you.

We had to put my 10-year-old bulldog down in December due to heart failure.

I was devastated, and swore it’d be a long time before we got another dog.

However, my kids are on me to get a new dog and our 3rd child is due in August. With that coming up, I’d prefer to go ahead and get a head start on the puppy phase before the newborn arrives.

Like I said, I had a bulldog before, but my girls are 7 and 5 and want a bit more active companion.

Any advice on breeds to target, or good places to get a pup? I’ve always tended towards larger breeds, so I was thinking perhaps a German Shepherd or Doberman, but am looking forward to hearing any thoughts on the topic.
You might like American Bulldog - Scott line. Very similar in personality and activity to a boxer. Our girl, Harper, is awesome.

Reactions: alw1776
If you're interested in a goldendoodle or something like that, I know an excellent breeder about 15-20 minutes outside of Athens. It is a vet and a vet tech that work together to make sure the dogs are well bred and they work very hard to try and avoid the issues that are often seen in poodles, goldens, and doodles.

Our vet was extremely impressed of the bone strucutre of our doodle the one time he had to get x-rays (he jumped out of my arms as a puppy and we thought he had broken his leg). They breed mini's and standards.

Growing up and even now we have always had a boxer .....good dogs
We've got a 9 year old boxer, and a 10 week old Bulldog.
Idk if its because we had the boxer before kids, and a smaller home, but the Bulldog has been a lot tougher of a puppy to house train.
Until this Bulldog proves me wrong, Boxer is the best breed of dog I've ever had.

We’ve had a couple of Weims and loved them. They were great with the children and very protective. Our last one died just at 14yrs. We’ve now had an Australian Labradoodle for a couple of years. He is active and playful, but not nearly as demanding as a weim. The Australian has 2-3 spaniels mixed in as well. No shedding, doesn‘t get as smelly, no allergens. The kids, and and my wife love to be able to cuddle and wrestle around with him since he is gentle, but playful enough for me to get a bit rougher with him. We are very happy with this one.

Boxer, Bullmastiff and Rhodesian ridgeback. My dogs in order, all did well w my 3 kids. Large breeds dont live as long on avg. but all were/have been great pets.

Reactions: SicEmBigDawg

However, my kids are on me to get a new dog and our 3rd child is due in August. With that coming up, I’d prefer to go ahead and get a head start on the puppy phase before the newborn arrives.

Like I said, I had a bulldog before, but my girls are 7 and 5 and want a bit more active companion.

Any advice on breeds to target, or good places to get a pup? I’ve always tended towards larger breeds, so I was thinking perhaps a German Shepherd or Doberman, but am looking forward to hearing any thoughts on the topic.
We have had four dobermans. They are loving, affectionate, playful and damn smart. Very protective of their people, but typically not aggressive toward others, unless they feal they or their owners are threatened. Also the cutest puppies ever.

Reactions: SicEmBigDawg
we got a Golden Doodle will be under 20 lbs great with kids no shedding. 6-8 month waiton them
I have about 10 friends that hopped on the golden doodle craze within the last two years, not one of them is 20lbs. Golden Doodles can actually get quite large. You sure you got a golden doodle? Have some friends that got an Aussie Golden Doodle, Aussie mixed with Golden Doodle and it's awesome and small like you say.

OP - With kids the obvious answer is a Golden Retreiver, if you want something semi different, boxers and dobermans are great family dogs extremely loyal as well. Labs can be great dogs as well just not my favorite compared to a Golden Retriever.

Reactions: cvarhol
English Cocker Spaniel... Incredible pets. Just got another 8 week old one Saturday. Friend of mine owns a plantation and they have awesome bloodlines. Orvis lodge of the year 2X. DM if you want his contact.

Reading this thread. Everybody loves their dogs regardless of the breed, which is great. I've had a Black Lab and just had to put-down our Wheaten Terrier. Still emotional about it.

I'm all aboard the hypoallergenic dog train. Why deal with a dog hair all over your house, if you don't have to? Why risk that your newborn is allergic to dogs? Plenty of great options, big or small. Bernadoodles, Aussiedoodles, Labradoodles, and Portuguese Water Dogs all can get very large (50 - 80 lbs). Our Wheaten was 34 pounds, which is a great size for our family.

My wife is a Dog Trainer and Dog store owner - we have a large G Shep; but if I had young kids and was busy working ect it would not be the breed I would have unless you are committed to working them properly at least twice a day.
My wife gets up at 530 am to work our Shep (Hines) and the training process is much more in depth if done properly for Sheps and Dobies than Labs; Golden Retrievers, ect. I would lean toward those for young girls

I have a German Shepherd and he's a great dog. He has taken a lot of work though. GSD must have good training, job, and strong leadership to be a dog that everyone can enjoy. That being said, if you put in the work a GSD will be one of the best dogs you will ever have.

I have 3 boys 4 and under, my GSD wouldn't harm a hair on their head and you best believe he wouldn't let anyone else.

If you are looking for something a little lower maintenance, I would look at a Lab or a Great Pyrenese if you like big dogs.

Best kid dog we’ve ever had is our Samoyed. Thinks everyone is his best friend. Also great bc they are somewhat rare so you won’t have a neighborhood full of them. They’ll also literally stop traffic as puppies.

I’ve had tons of dogs of different breeds over the years. For my money, the best breed with my son has been a Weimaraner. They call them”Velcro dogs”, because they always appear to stick close to you. They were very protective of him but not aggressive toward him. We had 2 Weimars, a mother who was 18 months old when my son was born and one of her daughters. We had to put the mother down when my son was 11 and just put down the daughter last March at age 17. With him leaving for college last August, we haven’t gotten a new one; however, I have no doubt that I will have another before too long. They are great companion dogs.

Reactions: NOLADawg
I always said I wouldn’t but we got a chocolate lab 3 years ago. Like most puppies it’s hell on wheels for 1-2, but I swear that is the best dog I have ever had or seen. Amazing with my 2 year old and 3 month old. Gentle, aware and stays close to them always.Very sweet to boot.

Ps-has eaten glass ornaments, a remote, wipes, diapers, pine cones and pretty sure he got a snake that got to close to us at the pool once. No issues. Like I said. Best dog ever.
Chocolates are the bomb. Can't imagine owning Murphy without a pool to tire his ass out everyday. Never had a pup with so much energy. Retrieves his bumper toys 24/7 until I put them away, loves the beach and frisbee and is one hell of a quail/pheasant dog. Has 3 deer tracked and recovered to his credit. Loves kids and visiting dogs and is just a joy for everyone. The sun rises and sets at my house on this guy. He'll be 5 next month................wow the years go by so quick. Aussies are a good choice as well. Rainbow Aussies in Cleveland Ga are very well known.

Good luck with your choice.

Screenshot-20210209-090330-Gallery.jpg

The most athletic and loving DAWG we ever had was a small poodle. We taught her how to play hide and seek with the kids. You could throw her a little ball and she would catch it. She loves our kids and protected them like a mother.

Don’t believe either of those two breeds would be your best with young children. Shepherds are herders which nip, Dobermans are not known to be great around 3 small children. Study breeds, read about them, ask your Vet. Need a more mellow breed, Lab, Golden.

Reactions: HuntinDawg

Labrador Retriever - Best family dogs and definitely active and really good with kids. Grew up with all chocolate labs and have my 3rd. will not get another breed. they are the best.

You really can't go wrong with a Lab, grew up with them.

Currently have four dogs.

- Two pit cross rescues...they are amazing and loyal. But I'm not going to begin to recommend because it will just start a fight on here, and I get it. One of those is Moose, my travel buddy.

- A Texas Heeler which is an Australian Shepherd/Blue Heeler cross. She's hell on wheels and don't trust her around kids. Amazingly intelligent and loyal, she is what she is though, a working dog.

- Last but not least, we have a lab/golden cross, Waylon. Got pretty lucky with him. My sister's family dog, an AKC registered Chocolate escaped from their backyard while in heat and hooked up with their neighbor's AKC registered Golden. My last dog was a Chocolate that I always said was the best dog I've ever owned but Waylon may contend for that title when it's all said done.

Probably a lot more than what you were looking for, but people like to talk about their dogs!

I have a 3 yr old male Golden Retriever and a 1 year old male Chocolate lab, they are both really gentle and sweet with our 5 month old. However, they are also extremely playful and active with me. Can’t go wrong with either. Heck, get both.

Reactions: scottmac1972
Chocolates are the bomb. Can't imagine owning Murphy without a pool to tire his ass out everyday. Never had a pup with so much energy. Retrieves his bumper toys 24/7 until I put them away, loves the beach and frisbee and is one hell of a quail/pheasant dog. Has 3 deer tracked and recovered to his credit. Loves kids and visiting dogs and is just a joy for everyone. The sun rises and sets at my house on this guy. He'll be 5 next month................wow the years go by so quick. Aussies are a good choice as well. Rainbow Aussies in Cleveland Ga are very well known.

Good luck with your choice.

Screenshot-20210209-090330-Gallery.jpg
Labs for life now is what the wife wants. My boys name is also Murphy, but.... he’s scared of the pool and couldn’t track a deer for shit unless it was carrying a bag of hot biscuits.

This will piss some people off.....😏

I’ve got a pit. With a 9 month old. Could ask for a sweeter dog. Sometimes a little too sweet with the baby. Licks him in the mouth...very playful too and he’s 6ish years old.
Pits are fine. Nothing wrong with having them as a family dog. The Pits that everyone always worry about, don't start out that way, someone makes them that way. I would never adopt from a Pit rescue if I had kids, but if you are getting one as a puppy, there are no issues. And before someone tells me a story about someone who bought a pit puppy and something horrible happened, that can happen with any breed. Just like people, sometimes a dog can be born with mental issues....but a Pit doesn't make that anymore likely then any other breed.

This will piss some people off.....😏

I’ve got a pit. With a 9 month old. Could ask for a sweeter dog. Sometimes a little too sweet with the baby. Licks him in the mouth...very playful too and he’s 6ish years old.
Pits are fine. Nothing wrong with having them as a family dog. The Pits that everyone always worry about, don't start out that way, someone makes them that way. I would never adopt from a Pit rescue if I had kids, but if you are getting one as a puppy, there are no issues. And before someone tells me a story about someone who bought a pit puppy and something horrible happened, that can happen with any breed. Just like people, sometimes a dog can be born with mental issues....but a Pit doesn't make that anymore likely then any other breed.
They are amazing and I used to be like a lot people that thought they were evil killers.

Our youngest pit cross looks like a mini-pit. She is the sweetest dog ever. She could legit be a therapy dog at a hospital.

Reactions: DisplayDawg
Labs for life now is what the wife wants. My boys name is also Murphy, but.... he’s scared of the pool and couldn’t track a deer for shit unless it was carrying a bag of hot biscuits.
That pretty much describes my two black labs to a tee. I don't know about the pool, because we don't have one. But the tracking biscuits, absolutely. Well that, and the cat that sneaks in and out of yard sometimes....they show some tracking there from time to time. But mostly they would be lost in the outdors without couches to lounge on.

Got a Brittany Spaniel last year at this time from a breeder in McRae. Awesome dog, no shedding, about 20 lbs but he does have tons and tons and tons of energy. Hell on wheels. His name is Murphy like several others here so that must be a popular name. Great with the kids but he demands tons of exercise. Smart too.

I have owned Siberian Huskies for years. You might want to consider getting one from a reputable btreeder. Absolutely lovable extremely smart active dogs. My Huskies have always loved my kids and grandkids. You won’t go wrong with getting one. I’ve had both males and females, and they seldom have health issues. Just get one from a reliable AKC breeder. There are a few good ones here in Georgia. Best wishes with whatever you decide to do. Go Dawgs!

Get a lab. They are the best way to go for kids. I would get an English lab because they are calmer than American labs plus their blockier head looks better. Tons of breeders but PM if you need help. My wife is a Vet and we have 4 labs and they are wonderful animals.

Reactions: maugwa
My Yellow lab/Golden Mix is the best dog I've ever Owned, he's my bestfriend. He goes everywhere with me an is more Obedient then most of my friends children. He also Is Ball Obsessed and loves dock diving.

We got a Sheepadoodle (Old English Sheepdog/Poodle). No shedding, super smart and very sturdy. Great breed for our family (4 kids 9 and under).

1. Golden retriever
2. Labrador
3. Collie
4. Scottish Glencarin terrior(like Toto on Wizard of Oz) this one is small

It is amazing how many dog breeds are "the best"...lol.

A lot of great suggestions. Many sporting breeds, a few from the working group. A few doodle types.

Try some of the dog breed surveys online. They are not perfect but they help. They will prompt you to answer many questions: exercise time, yard size, shedding tolerance, etc. Be as honest as possible. Narrow it down to a few breeds and do research on them. Decide if you want a pure bred dog or not. Deligently research breeders. Decide if you want to consider rescue or adoption.

Even with all of that, each dog is different and will have a unique personality.

We are waiting now to find out if a potential mother is pregnant after insemination with sperm flown over from the Netherlands. Getting a puppy can be pretty extreme. Or it can be as simple as walking in a shelter and saying "I like this one". All of them need your love and care.

Best of luck!

There are other great breeds but for a large dog in a family of small children, I can’t imagine a better family dog than a Labrador Retriever. I can’t help you with a breeder but whatever breed you choose, educate yourself about the necessary health clearances for that breed and make sure your pup’s parents have the correct ones. For Labrador Retrievers that is hips, elbows, eyes, CNM and EIC. IMO hips, CNM and EIC are the most important. I can explain further if you like, but not right now. Also, if someone tries to sell you a Silver Lab, run to another breeder because that breeder is either a liar and a whore or an uneducated moron. There is no such thing as a Silver Lab. The Labrador Retriever Club of America says so and they are the authority.

I second all of this.

There are white labs and fox red labs, but these are just color variations in a yellow lab with concentrated breeding over time toward a color shade.

There are also English (show) labs vs. American (field) labs. Again, they are the identical breed, just with different traits bred over time. The English lab is historically bred more for show dog purposes and has a blockier head, a barrel chest and a bushy "otter" tail. It tends to have a calmer temperament by some measure than its American lab counterpart.

The only downside to a lab is prolific shedding, but this is true for numerous other dog breeds also.

I’ve had tons of dogs of different breeds over the years. For my money, the best breed with my son has been a Weimaraner. They call them”Velcro dogs”, because they always appear to stick close to you. They were very protective of him but not aggressive toward him. We had 2 Weimars, a mother who was 18 months old when my son was born and one of her daughters. We had to put the mother down when my son was 11 and just put down the daughter last March at age 17. With him leaving for college last August, we haven’t gotten a new one; however, I have no doubt that I will have another before too long. They are great companion dogs.
Beautiful dog and deer too!

Reactions: maugwa

Think about a rescue. All my dogs have been and they’ve been fantastic. They need a home and love at least as much as a puppy

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT