ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Putting this out there: Pellet Grills. UPDATE

RoyDawgMercer

Circle of Honor
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2001
Have cooked on a BGE for 30 years but Traeger has a good deal at my local Costco. Two biggest reasons I'm wondering if Wifey could light / operate a Traeger (without beyotching) and less time spent monitoring the cook. The wifi / Bluetooth controller on the Traeger seems pretty good. Anybody like a different brand? Other solution? Have at it.

UPDATE: Thanks much or all the great input! You saved me a bunch of time / effort but have no final decision. The Vent never disappoints!

Last edited:
Green Mountain JB Prime, love it so far.

I like to periodically survey users on this, but how does the smoky flavor compare on the pellet smokers versus something like a big green egg? That's been my biggest hesitation.

Reactions: Kylo Ren
I like to periodically survey users on this, but how does the smoky flavor compare on the pellet smokers versus something like a big green egg? That's been my biggest hesitation.

Great question.. I am about to buy a kamado joe..

Seems about the same to me. On the Traeger, you’ve got to empty out the burning pot area or it will suffocate. On the BGE if you get one of those auto damper systems it’s great and just might push it over the top. Without the auto damper it’s Traeger all the way. Especially for an old lazy man like me!

Have cooked on a BGE for 30 years but Traeger has a good deal at my local Costco. Two biggest reasons I'm wondering if Wifey could light / operate a Traeger (without beyotching) and less time spent monitoring the cook. The wifi / Bluetooth controller on the Traeger seems pretty good. Anybody like a different brand? Other solution? Have at it.
If I was considering a pellet smoker, I would check out rectec or Yoder. Nothing. Wrong with a Traeger. But I have seen too many pellet smokers catch on fire. It’s more $$, but the gravity cabinet smokers that use lump and wood are what I’m using now. Stumps, Assasin, and Deep South. Easy to use, huge capacity and can use wood. Deep South is made in Cumming and made the best of the the three. GC28 is the best model for the $$, Facebook has great user sites on all the smokers

I have a traegar pro 780 and I love it. Smoked a pig on it for the Arkansas game and it turned out great. Easy to use and can monitor from your phone. Maintenance/cleaning is a bit of a pain though. Also, my pro 780 maxes out at 450 degrees so while you can cook steak/burgers on it, you don’t get a great crust.

Last edited:
Up until a couple of years ago I did most of my cooking on a BGE. With a young child at home I decided to buy a pellet grill for ease of cooking -- quicker to get started, less attention required with a rugrat in tow.

The pellet is definitely easier/faster to get going, and easy to clean and shut down. Pros/cons:

1. If you have frequent constraints on your time or attention, the pellet is great and will require less time overall than a BGE. It's tough to "screw up." You can also change temperatures mid-cook with a pellet and get it set a new level easier than with a BGE.

2. If you are going for max smoky flavor, BGE is the way to go. Pellet adds flavor, but not on the level of the BGE. The good part is you don't have to worry about overdoing it with the smoky flavor as is possible with the BGE, just make sure you have matched the wood to the meat.

3. Biggest benefit of the BGE is the flexibility. You can go any type of temperature from low to screaming hot. If I cook a steak on the pellet, I usually finish it in a cast iron pan on the gas stove for searing/char. BGE you can cook a steak any way you like and keep it on the egg the entire time.

4. BGE is more fun.

If you enjoy grilling and aren't constrained by time/attention, the BGE is the better product.

Some of the new larger Traeger have a "smoke" setting I assume to address your concern. Sales guy said to just reduce the temp if you want more smoke. Problem with that is you need 210* min to break down fat and collagen in a pork butt or shoulder. Only issue I've ever had with a BGE is cooking in cold wx and having to reload the lump. Assume a pellet grill would eliminate that issue.

Rectec is better than Traeger IMO.

Rectec is made in Georgia and seems to be one of the better brands unless you’re trying to go with a Yoder $$$. Traeger used to be top notch but apparently they’ve fallen off a bit, quality wise.

A big RecTec fan but they are only assembled in Ga with Chinese parts (although the Chinese parts are actually good.).

I talked to the guys over there and they said they made the choice to do that to get the price point down, sell more by the thousands and employ more people locally. He said a similar model that was made in the US was costing 5k+.

If I was looking at a Traeger, I would by a Pitboss instead. I think they are closer in comparison than Traeger/RecTec.

Reactions: RockyMountainDawg
RECTEQ makes the best pellet grill on the market. Not only is the grill the best, but the customer service is second to none! They are right in my backyard!

Ehh. There are better pellet grills, but 3-5x the money of RecTec.

I'm a BGE fan, but as far as pellet's go I'd recommend Rectec. As seen in this thread, nothing but great responses, pull they are local here in Augusta.

Reactions: BigDawgs2010
Great question.. I am about to buy a kamado joe..

I have a smoke tube from Amazon I fill with smoke/chips and light and lay on grate. Works great but even with high quality pellets, the flavor is pretty dang good.

Rectec is Georgia made and i love mine. I used to cook on a Primo, but the Rectec is the way to go.

If I was considering a pellet smoker, I would check out rectec or Yoder. Nothing. Wrong with a Traeger. But I have seen too many pellet smokers catch on fire. It’s more $$, but the gravity cabinet smokers that use lump and wood are what I’m using now. Stumps, Assasin, and Deep South. Easy to use, huge capacity and can use wood. Deep South is made in Cumming and made the best of the the three. GC28 is the best model for the $$, Facebook has great user sites on all the smokers
Yoder is out of my price range. Mrs Hormones would beyotch about the price every time she used it. Happy wife; happy life.

Have found smokiness to be an issue with pellet grills. I prefer a stick burner. BGE/KJ are easier than stick burners but a better smoke flavor than a pellet grill. Pellet grills do appear the easiest as far as managing a cook.

Reactions: QuanticoDawg
Like others have said...take a hard look at the Recteq before you buy anything. If you have any friends or are near Augusta and can put your hands on one the build quality is night and day.

You won’t find many companies that the owner sends you their personal cell phone number on a business card with every purchase. Customer service is second to none. Have seen them countless times replace stuff outside the warranty timeframe or for customers who have suffered natural disasters, burglaries, etc.

Yoder is also a great company with fantastic grills but will be pricy. I would look at the Pit Boss line before Traeger JMO. The pellet grills produce plenty of smoke. It’s not quite as strong as my stick burner but it’s definitely not lacking.

Reactions: RoyDawgMercer
Rectec is Georgia made and i love mine. I used to cook on a Primo, but the Rectec is the way to go.
Primo was my first Kamado cooker. True story: I had my deck overhauled 6 years ago and gave my large Primo to one of the carpenters who loaded it up on his trailer. Next day he came back with a picture. When he got the Primo home and set it down it literally collapsed into a pile of dust! Must have had bunches of hairline cracks and the trailer ride finished it off. All you could see in the pic were the metal parts sticking out of the a pile of rubble. I had to keep an Eagle Eye on the rest of the job to make sure he didn't “cut some corners."

Last edited:
RECTEC - it's not even close
have had both but RECTEC is the best.
Wife can do it easily with the push of a button

I have a RT-700 and a Bullseye
if its just two of you the bulls eye is perfect and can be used as a smoker and a wood fired grill mine has a range of 200 - 750 degrees.

Up until a couple of years ago I did most of my cooking on a BGE. With a young child at home I decided to buy a pellet grill for ease of cooking -- quicker to get started, less attention required with a rugrat in tow.

The pellet is definitely easier/faster to get going, and easy to clean and shut down. Pros/cons:

1. If you have frequent constraints on your time or attention, the pellet is great and will require less time overall than a BGE. It's tough to "screw up." You can also change temperatures mid-cook with a pellet and get it set a new level easier than with a BGE.

2. If you are going for max smoky flavor, BGE is the way to go. Pellet adds flavor, but not on the level of the BGE. The good part is you don't have to worry about overdoing it with the smoky flavor as is possible with the BGE, just make sure you have matched the wood to the meat.

3. Biggest benefit of the BGE is the flexibility. You can go any type of temperature from low to screaming hot. If I cook a steak on the pellet, I usually finish it in a cast iron pan on the gas stove for searing/char. BGE you can cook a steak any way you like and keep it on the egg the entire time.

4. BGE is more fun.

If you enjoy grilling and aren't constrained by time/attention, the BGE is the better product.
I have the bullseye and it has a temp range of 200-750. (850 if I play with it)
You can play with your feed rate to increase the top end temp and also increase smoke
if you need more smoke also try one of the smoke tubes you can throw in when cooking

A big RecTec fan but they are only assembled in Ga with Chinese parts (although the Chinese parts are actually good.).

I talked to the guys over there and they said they made the choice to do that to get the price point down, sell more by the thousands and employ more people locally. He said a similar model that was made in the US was costing 5k+.

If I was looking at a Traeger, I would by a Pitboss instead. I think they are closer in comparison than Traeger/RecTec.

I agree with the Pitboss over Traeger. They have stepped their game up and a better price than Traeger.

Reactions: BigDawgs2010

if its just two of you the bulls eye is perfect and can be used as a smoker and a wood fired grill mine has a range of 200 - 750 degrees.

Same setup I have!

Reactions: Nooga Dawg
I have a RecTeq 590 and I did notice some parts labeled made in China. Doesn't bother me because the build quality and customer service is top notch.

I use Alder for fish, mesquite for beef, pecan for fowl, hickory / apple for pork. Is swapping pellets for different smoke flavor a chore on a RecTec? How do you clean out the fire pot? Thanks!!

I use Alder for fish, mesquite for beef, pecan for fowl, hickory / apple for pork. Is swapping pellets for different smoke flavor a chore on a RecTec? How do you clean out the fire pot? Thanks!!
The new Bullseye has a clean out port to change out pellets easily - don't know about the larger grills
cleaning out the fire pot is very easy just pull of grates and reach in there and either vacuum it out or use a small spoon. If your feed rate is set correctly you should not see a ton of ash.

Recteq hands down. WiFi is stupid easy to use. Best customer service I’ve ever seen as well for a grill company. I had an all weather vent break and sent them an email asking when new ones would be instock for purchase. Without asking, they shipped me a replacement. Also called with a question once but figured it out before they answered. They called me back just to make sure I didn’t need anything. Owners are also part of the recteq FB groups and will answer any questions they can.

Have had a Traeger for about four years. Only complaint I have is it's not something you can just turn on and start grilling. I usually clean mine after every long cook. That seems to reduce fire danger and keeps temps more consistent.

You just take grates off and heat deflector and scoop or use shop vac.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT