ADVERTISEMENT

Raiola

Blayne Gilmer

Letterman and National Champion
Gold Member
Sep 12, 2020
1. This climate of NIL and the portal are exactly why I gave up covering recruiting to spend more time with my wife and boys. Instead of trying to stay up to date on this, I’m trying figure out how to get my starting forwards on my kindergarten basketball team my son plays on to understand that you do not guard your man on offense. I think their parents are Tennessee fans…

2. As far as Raiola goes, this is something that has come up very late. Just in the last week. I’m confident that outside influences and NIL are the center of it.

I’m not shocked. I understand listening to people who are offering you money. I understand standing up for your value and listening to what people say your market value is. However, what I am surprised at is that none of what is going on right now matches up with what I’ve been told from the beginning are the most important factors in this recruitment and the reasons why Georgia was the choice for this long.

Again, the Raiola’s are a great family. I don’t blame Dylan or the family for wanting to explore options, especially an option that is in his blood. This is the state of where we are with college football. It’s a business and nobody is going to hold your hand in business. You have to look out for yourself, just as I and I’m sure you who are reading this do.

There are the HAVES and the HAVE NOTS in terms of programs. The QB position can change a program from a HAVE NOT to a HAVE, if you hit on the right one. So some programs are willing to gamble heavily on an unproven commodity (in terms of experience on the college level) more than others. Programs like Georgia won’t mortgage their future for potential. Georgia plays the game, but they don’t overextend. Georgia, Alabama and a a select few others have the overall roster to get it done without a superstar at QB. They find a really good one and develop them (Bennett, Milroe).

3. I’ve been contacted by the parents of a 2025 and a 2026 QB who are very intently watching what is going on with Raiola. Should Raiola choose Nebraska, I could see things pick up significantly with either one or both of those.

4. I don’t blame a kid or a family. I blame CFB, the NCAA, and TV executives for creating an environment in which these issues are prevalent and have zero governance and, or accountability.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News