ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Reading a fantastic book right now

Ever notice that these stories, especially the film versions, are promoted as Indigenous but always have a white person as the central character, the moral center, the 'savior'? See Dances with Wolves, Wind River, etc. While ostensibly an advance over the laughable/regrettable John Wayne at all flicks of my youth, they still perpetuate the settler narrative.

Reactions: rectomo
Learn something about our invention of Total War and our adherence to the Doctrine of Discover and see if you still feel this way. The lack of introspection you see as just a product of the times is why this country was never serious about its own core principles and will never be what it promised the world it would be.
Doctrine of Discovery, that is.

Philbrick is very good; read both Mayflower and the Last Stand. Got two new ones for Christmas by him about Revolutionary War - Valiant Ambition and Bunker Hill.
History has to be written with extra skill. You're writing about an unfamiliar time, unfamiliar place, and unfamiliar people who pass through. You have to write in such a way that it all goes down easy, without the reader having to do a lot of work to keep up.

Yeah I’m aware but $12.99 isn’t unreasonable to have it delivered. I generally just give away my paperbacks to folks at the house who show interest.
Me too.

Years ago I met this girl and we started talking about literature. Somehow, we stated discussing (speaking of hilarious books) "Confederacy of Dunces". Come to find out that she had gotten a copy from a friend who got it from my roommate who got it from me. So, indirectly, we knew something about each other without ever having met before.

We've been married for 31 years.

For a different and mystical take on a plains Indian I would recommend "Black Hills" by Dan Simmons. The history is well-researched, though the novel is fantastical.

Empire of the summer moon. May be the best book ive ever read about the west and learning a ton I didn’t know about the Comanche Indians.

Highly recommend and love to hear about any others about the west and the plains Indians. in my opinion it one part of this country’s history that isn’t discussed enough
Ever notice that these stories, especially the film versions, are promoted as Indigenous but always have a white person as the central character, the moral center, the 'savior'? See Dances with Wolves, Wind River, etc. While ostensibly an advance over the laughable/regrettable John Wayne at all flicks of my youth, they still perpetuate the settler narrative.

Absolutely the best series of novels,( historical fiction) I've ever read is The Flashman Papers by George MacDonald Fraser. There are twelve books covering a span of about 50years. Most of the books are about British military campaigns from 1840-1880's. But, my favorite of the books is called Flashman and the Redskins, which is an incredible tale of the west 1850's - 1870'swith extensive footnotes. You'll learn stuff you probably don't know about Abe Lincoln, Kit Carson, the plains tribes, Sitting Bull, Crazy Horse and Mangus Colorado. It also gives the best description of Custer and the Little Big Horn I've ever read....and I've read extensively on the subject. The anti-hero of the books is is Harry Flashman, a cad, womanizer, coward and liar who would sell his mother down the river to save his own ass, but always ends up looking like a hero. It takes a bit to accept Flashy for who he is, but he grows on you and the books are pee in your pants funny as well as great history. The series is best read in order, but it's not necessary. The books are not PC and if strong racial language offends you better stay away.

Yeah I’m aware but $12.99 isn’t unreasonable to have it delivered. I generally just give anrstand,but both those compamies send them to you also. Thanks QUOTE]

Yep,but both those companies will send the books to you also,usually for free..I also give my books away,but am a "chain reader" and buy a lotta books..Always have a book going .Have saved a LOTTA $s using those two companies.

Reactions: ILAdawg
Learn something about our invention of Total War and our adherence to the Doctrine of Discover and see if you still feel this way. The lack of introspection you see as just a product of the times is why this country was never serious about its own core principles and will never be what it promised the world it would be.
Like the descredited climate theory of the old west "Rain follows the Plow". It was the politically sanctioned, philosophical/religious underpinning of settlement in areas of little water. John Wesley Powell spent his post Grand Canyon exploration years fighting against it...and lost, though his warnings have stood the test of time.

Absolutely the best series of novels,( historical fiction) I've ever read is The Flashman Papers by George MacDonald Fraser. There are twelve books covering a span of about 50years. Most of the books are about British military campaigns from 1840-1880's. But, my favorite of the books is called Flashman and the Redskins, which is an incredible tale of the west 1850's - 1870'swith extensive footnotes. You'll learn stuff you probably don't know about Abe Lincoln, Kit Carson, the plains tribes, Sitting Bull, Crazy Horse and Mangus Colorado. It also gives the best description of Custer and the Little Big Horn I've ever read....and I've read extensively on the subject. The anti-hero of the books is is Harry Flashman, a cad, womanizer, coward and liar who would sell his mother down the river to save his own ass, but always ends up looking like a hero. It takes a bit to accept Flashy for who he is, but he grows on you and the books are pee in your pants funny as well as great history. The series is best read in order, but it's not necessary. The books are not PC and if strong racial language offends you better stay away.
Sounds like Flashman oughta run for POTUS. Would be a shoein in "some" circles.

Ahhh, now I gotcha. When I originally read your post I thought you were basically saying check out used books stores first. Thanks for the tip man I will definitely check out both those sites.

American Lion Andrew Jackson bio. It's alright. Finished Killers of the Flower Moon last month. Definitely worth reading. Devil in the White City is also another book akin to Flower Moon about real life events involving a serial killer at Chicago Worlds Fair during the turn of the 19th century. Great book as well

Reactions: studawg170 II
Empire of the summer moon. May be the best book ive ever read about the west and learning a ton I didn’t know about the Comanche Indians.

Highly recommend and love to hear about any others about the west and the plains Indians. in my opinion it one part of this country’s history that isn’t discussed enough
Three Years Among the Comanches by Nelson Lee

former Texas ranger taken as a slave by Comanche tribe

Reactions: Finn1
Ahhh, now I gotcha. When I originally read your post I thought you were basically saying check out used books stores first. Thanks for the tip man I will definitely check out both those sites.
Another tip: If you have a Kindle ,local libraries in several locations will ,along w/your library card, allow you to borrow/order books from the local library sent directly to your Kindle electronically. Can do the entire process electronically.(even obtaining the library card in some places)---Heck I don't even know of a used book store anymore. Am in N Atl, and haven't known of one in yrs.

Reactions: ILAdawg

I ain't reading that trash.
I listen to great music,
I would not Normally push it your face, yet...

if I bore you, that's good.

• Love
Reactions: stray
Thanks for the recommendations. I don’t feel guilty for winning. Did someone take the side of the people the Romans, Greeks or Egyptians conquered. And I believe I may be descendent, since my family came to French speaking Canada in the early 1600s, there were damn few white women per man.

its kinda like in Yellowstone when Lloyd said when they took the two bodies to the “train station”. You want to know how the west was won? The skeletons at the bottom of the canyon is how.

Last edited:

Oh boy

Reactions: MassachusettsDawg
I read Bury My Heart in high school and it totally changed the way I saw that period of history. I've also realized that a biography of Jackie Robinson I read from the elementary school library, at 11 or so, had a profound influence on my views in that direction. Reading opens worlds.

I need to grab a copy of Killers of the Flower Moon. Lately I haven't been able to get enough of realistic western stuff. Not so much the cowboys and indians I grew up with, but I also loved the book and movie Little Big Man from years ago; that movie is hilarious and moving at the same time.
Damndest "Western" movie ever produced. His sister was badass. Chief Dan George was incredible. "It's a good day to die..."

I’ve started to reread all the classics from my high school AP English course from years ago. It’s great and amazing how a book you can hate in your youth can become one of your favorites in adulthood. Currently on Cry, the Beloved Country. I loved it then and still love it now.
Lemme know when you get to "Last Of The Mohicans". I still get headaches from the writing "style".

Lemme know when you get to "Last Of The Mohicans". I still get headaches from the writing "style".

not as bad as cormick McCarthys

you can get that book as thousands of others on Gutenberg.com

Seriously, one of the best books I’ve read read about the old west and the plains Indian culture. I can’t wait for the movie.

One of those movies I could watch over and over. I think Chief Dan George won an Academy Award and it was well deserved. Dignified and comic at the same time.
Watched it again about a month ago. The gay Indian, the insulted warrior doing everything in reverse, the conman who was whittled down part by part, LBM's "gun fighter era." It's hilarious and a classic.

Reactions: Saxondawg
Watched it again about a month ago. The gay Indian, the insulted warrior doing everything in reverse, the conman who was whittled down part by part, LBM's "gun fighter era." It's hilarious and a classic.
The looney tunes take on General Custer was also memorable.

Reactions: Saxondawg
Charles Bukowski? We have to get together when I visit Savannah. "All the Assholes in the World and Mine" is hilarious. Not for everyone, though.

Ever read "You Can't Win" by (the original) Jack Black? It was William Burroughs favorite book and a true underground classic. It's an autobiography from a guy that was a hobo, burglar, and opium addict at the turn of the 20th century. You never learned this stuff in school.

You Can't Win is a great read.....thanks for the recommendation

My grandfather, or papaw as we kids called him, was born in medicine mound, tx in 1929 and raised in quanah, tx.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT