ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg RIP John Lewis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Mr Lewis,My Brother for Your service to Mankind! So many of us seek silver & gold but Your purpose in life was to make us understand that we can & should live together in peace even though we might not look the same or have as much.We are all GOD's creation and Christ said we "should love each other",and Mr Lewis's purpose in life was to convey that .Rest in peace Brother! GOOD TROUBLE

I had the honor of meeting Rep Lewis a few years back, he autographed my book. I had and have the utmost respect for Rep Lewis as an honest man, a believer and a fighter for the right cause, the courage to put his life on the line which he did. I believed him much braver than many who marched, or who were proclaimed leaders. I also recall his run for Congress against Julian Bond. In that election the racist comments came from the Bond camp, they made comments that Lewis wasn’t well spoken, he wasn’t good looking compared to the eloquent, handsome, intelligent Bond. John Lewis stayed above the fray, worked the district, and thank goodness won. While others in Congress use and used their positions to enrich themselves, amass millions, Omar, Cummings, Waters, Pelosi, Jackson-Lee, Duncan Hunter, instead Rep Lewis remained true to himself and honest., I don’t recall any allegation of him abusing his position, taking advantage of anyone, demanding Delta fly him 1st class or boot someone out of their seat for him, putting friends or family into consulting business then requiring constituents or businesses pay a fee to go thru the consultant for access. The man is and was a role model for the right way to be a public servant. Shame there aren’t more John Lewis.

I don’t think it’s hyperbole to say that he’s one of the greatest Americans ever. That has nothing to do with his politics and everything to do with his humanity. It's also long past time to rename Selma's Edmund Pettus Bridge for Lewis where he was clubbed and literally bled for a most righteous cause. For the uninitiated, Pettus was a confederate general and Grand Dragon of the KKK. It's a no brainer Alabama.

Unlikely it will happen though because here in the Yellow Hammer things are "different".

Rep. Lewis opposed renaming the bridge.

"Renaming the Bridge will never erase its history. Instead of hiding our history behind a new name we must embrace it --the good and the bad. The historical context of the Edmund Pettus Bridge makes the events of 1965 even more profound. The irony is that a bridge named after a man who inflamed racial hatred is now known worldwide as a symbol of equality and justice. It is biblical--what was meant for evil, God uses for good."

https://www.al.com/opinion/2015/06/john_lewis_terri_sewell_defend.html

We don't all leave the world a better place than we found it. Many of us don't have the courage to fight for what's right. John Lewis did, and I respect him for it. We don't have to agree with someone's political positions, nor does commemorating their loss serve as an endorsement of all of their views, but we do need to honor a life well lived and a legacy well earned. RIP

John Lewis was a hell of a guy and is rightly revered for his tremendous contributions to society.

In contrast to the themes of our current historical moment, I see a man like John Lewis as the epitome of what it means to be an American. He knew injustice well, but more importantly he knew the value of the future that was possible, and had the bravery to fight for it. It’s the same spirit that emboldened Frederick Douglass to orate that America is a great nation that must fight to live up to her founding creed.

Another beauty of our system and founding ideals is the notion that we can be unified with one another even if we at times differ on matters of policy or direction. So as many others have said, thanks to John Lewis for his legacy of service and enacting change in the face of injustice. May we all be so bold in our chosen time.

Rep. Lewis opposed renaming the bridge.

"Renaming the Bridge will never erase its history. Instead of hiding our history behind a new name we must embrace it --the good and the bad. The historical context of the Edmund Pettus Bridge makes the events of 1965 even more profound. The irony is that a bridge named after a man who inflamed racial hatred is now known worldwide as a symbol of equality and justice. It is biblical--what was meant for evil, God uses for good."

https://www.al.com/opinion/2015/06/john_lewis_terri_sewell_defend.html

Did not know that. Thank you for elucidating.

If you have a question about moderation, send me a direct message or email.

Please note that some posts are deleted by default when they are replies to a post that is deleted for breaking the rules.

If you have a question about moderation, send me a direct message or email.

Please note that some posts are deleted by default when they are replies to a post that is deleted for breaking the rules.

Did you delete my post about deleting my post about deleting a post about deleting a post? I think this will probably get deleted.

Reactions: DAWG N EVANS
Did you delete my post about deleting my post about deleting a post about deleting a post? I think this will probably get deleted.
Yes because we discuss these issues directly and not on the board. That has been the policy since the beginning. And yes that includes "Why was my post deleted?" questions.

Reactions: Anthony Dasher
I had a chance to meet him and talk to him one Saturday in a Home Depot. Very humble and nice man.

Reactions: rectomo
I didn’t always agree with him, but he fought hard for social injustice. He did it the right way. Always. I don’t care what your political views are, it is easy to respect a man like him. Rip

Reactions: Dawgsontop9
John Lewis was by all accounts a good and decent man. Sometimes I didn’t care for his dramatics but he felt it was necessary. Contrast that with so many politicians who serve themselves. I think he laid it all on the line for the good of the people.May he rest in peaceAnd may his memory motivate haters on both sides to do better.

Political views or opinions have no place on this sports Board. I don’t give a crap what any of you think about his politics. He was absolutely a Civil Rights Hero and should be respected as such. I’ve got a major issue with anyone who has anything negative to publicly say about him. I served this country faithfully as an Army Officer with combat tours in Desert Storm, Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF) and Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF). John Lewis contributions to this country dwarf mine. I’m sure that’s true of most if not all on this sports board. He was absolutely an American Hero and Icon. Victor R. Harper, COL U.S. Army (R).

As another retired U.S. Army Colonel (and UGA grad: 1964), I share your views. He was a hero. I lived through a difficult time on the UGA campus during the 60's but thanks to leaders like him, things have changed dramatically for the better. Our nation needs leaders like John Lewis during these difficult times. We will miss him. RIP John Lewis.

As another retired U.S. Army Colonel (and UGA grad: 1964), I share your views. He was a hero. I lived through a difficult time on the UGA campus during the 60's but thanks to leaders like him, things have changed dramatically for the better. Our nation needs leaders like John Lewis during these difficult times. We will miss him. RIP John Lewis.
Thank you for your service. Wow, I was born in 1964 and served on active duty from 1986-2012. Duty, honor, country. Hooah!!!

Wish he was still here to teach these young americans how to act.

Yeah he was them and he was treated awfully by the establishment and popular opinion back then.

And I’m much more worried about how are leaders are acting than our young people.

It always gets on my nerves when people qualify their condolences when it's someone who different ideas than them. It literally doesn't matter anymore when they're gone, just offer up your respect.
See it all the time on here/Twitter in less dire situations too.

“Not a Florida fan, but I hope Franks has a speedy recovery”

Like...wow, how brave of you to put your college football fandom aside and care about a person’s wellbeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT