ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Sports Illustrated...

That sucks man. I mean it was complete trash the last 5-10 years, but it’s a shame what it became and it’s a shame now that it’s gone.
I loved it for a long time, had subscriptions at multiple times. The quality has dropped over the last 10 years. It is a shame, for what use to be a top sports magazine

They had the best writers, and photographers, in the business when I got as a kid in the mid-60s to mid-70s. FYI, my mother intercepted the swimsuit issue. Catholics, well you know.

I remember some of their articles to this day.

Not sure if you’ve seen it recently but it’s not your Daddy’s swimsuit edition. Had more Dicks and less Janes.
truthfully haven't seen it in years but that sounds about how things are going and not at all interested in that. Sad!

My teenage years will always remember you, swimsuit edition…. RIP

Print media is dying across the board. The Dawgvent had way more to do with it than the boogeyman under your bed
I'm sorry but putting f-ing men in the swimsuit edition isn't a "boogeyman under your bed", it's something nobody on the planet wants.

Of course that's not why it died. Like you said, print media is dying in general. But doing the tranny swimsuit shit definitely didn't help anything.

I've got boxes and boxes of issues in the attic dating back from the early 70's through the late 80's. My subscription was my gift from my older brother every year. The younguns on here wouldn't understand, but SI was the TIffany's of sports coverage back in the day (special mention as well to The Sporting News for their baseball coverage). And the swimsuit issue with Cheryl Tiegs? A 12-year old's wet dream come true.

I'm sorry but putting f-ing men in the swimsuit edition isn't a "boogeyman under your bed", it's something nobody on the planet wants.

Of course that's not why it died. Like you said, print media is dying in general. But doing the tranny swimsuit shit definitely didn't help anything.
SI was dead way before any of that happened. If anything that was an attempt to drum up controversy to get more people to buy the issues. Whatever you think of the issue, if you think that "Woke" has anything to do with the reshaping of our media, you just don't know much about how the world works in its current state.

SI was dead way before any of that happened. If anything that was an attempt to drum up controversy to get more people to buy the issues. Whatever you think of the issue, if you think that "Woke" has anything to do with the reshaping of our media, you just don't know much about how the world works in its current state.
giphy.gif

Seems like the new direction they took with the swimsuit editions in recent years was a cry for help.

That’s what woke gets you. When you have trannies in the swimsuit issue, snd Deion Sanders person of year, you get what you get.

Reactions: WyoDawg307
As with most things of this nature, it is usually more than one problem. No doubt SI print edition was doomed by their info being just one click away on other sites instead of a week away. They never really figured that out.

Having said that, if you are ready for the death knell, go ahead and alienate a big majority of your customer base. As you said, the UGASports model is a model they should have tried to incorporate into their business plan and part of that model is sticking to sports reporting and conversation and leaving the culture wars to Sean Hannity and the ladies on the view.

As with most things of this nature, it is usually more than one problem. No doubt SI print edition was doomed by their info being just one click away on other sites instead of a week away. They never really figured that out.

Having said that, if you are ready for the death knell, go ahead and alienate a big majority of your customer base. As you said, the UGASports model is a model they should have tried to incorporate into their business plan and part of that model is sticking to sports reporting and conversation and leaving the culture wars to Sean Hannity and the ladies on the view.
I'm not convinced that hurting the feeling of people who likely already didn't have a subscription did anything. The only time I even heard of anything related to SI was people crying bc they put a trans woman and fat person on the swimsuit cover. All legacy media is struggling in the last decade or so. It has nothing to do with your preceived grievance. If you can't find a way to adapt to the current climate you're toast. Nike made a bunch of yall mad and all that happened is their stock price rose.

I'm not convinced that hurting the feeling of people who likely already didn't have a subscription did anything. The only time I even heard of anything related to SI was people crying bc they put a trans woman and fat person on the swimsuit cover. All legacy media is struggling in the last decade or so. It has nothing to do with your preceived grievance. If you can't find a way to adapt to the current climate you're toast. Nike made a bunch of yall mad and all that happened is their stock price rose.
Like to keep my sports & trans people separate.

My guess would be Nike and SI have much different customer bases. Id imagine SI's base is closer to Bud Lite.

And I dont think it is about hurt feelings. I would say if you're memories of the mag is Elle McPherson and the best sports coverage and you get Martha Stewart and old news...

My guess would be Nike and SI have much different customer bases. Id imagine SI's base is closer to Bud Lite.

And I dont think it is about hurt feelings. I would say if you're memories of the mag is Elle McPherson and the best sports coverage and you get Martha Stewart and old news...
Ok, but I think you're soft for bud light too. Just go outside and stop being offended by everything. You're no different than the stereotypical blue haired college gender studies major. I'll never understand why people get so upset over things that don't matter.

Ironically, I just pulled out some Sports Illustrated magazines from my attic to try and sell. I have, I believe every issue from 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991, with all of the extra ones, over 200. Not sure if they are worth anything, going to put on EBAY and find out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT