ADVERTISEMENT

Sorry if old news but have you heard whats going on with Last Resort?

Has always been my favorite spot, personally.

I like a bunch of Athens restaurants, but trapeze has consistently been the best in my opinion.

Then again, I'm really only judging by the quality of the food and service, not what the owners are doing or saying on Twitter or whatever else we're supposed to be paying attention to these days, so maybe I should look into it further to make sure they aren't cancelable too.
whats good at Trapeze, We always seem to go right by it on the way to somwhere else.

whats good at Trapeze, We always seem to go right by it on the way to somwhere else.
Well, it's a pub/sandwich style menu, so maybe not the best bet if you are dead set on more of a "nicer dinner" outing, but I love their lamb burger, the trout and the "double pig" sandwich. Good cheese plates and apps too if you just want something light while having a few beers before doing something else.

Maybe just don’t follow him? Personally I don’t care what your political views might be. I don’t think someone should be cancelled for them
I don’t currently follow him. Someone asked why a poster didn’t like him, so I provided some insight into possibly why he wouldn’t be a vent fav.

Speaking of food, does the UGA MeatScience Department (or whatever it was called) still do the Friday meat sales?

Yes - but prices are higher than they used to be as someone said above. Quality is still better than what you get in the grocery store for around the same price however.

I have no clue what to believe so maybe they have a case? However, people would just quit and find another job in the old days but some of our fine kids are now built to seek and destroy when things don’t go their way. We’ll see how much money both parties are willing to pay for so-called justice.
So then the perpetrators can target the next group, and the next. At what point are they called to account and how, under your scenario?

If there was sexual harassment I hope they get compensated appropriately.

The article was poorly written but they lost me with this sentence.

"The Red & Black spoke with four of the women plaintiffs, all of whom stated the work environment at the restaurant created or worsened mental health issues or dependencies on alcohol, drugs or cigarettes as coping mechanisms."

tenor.gif

"The Red & Black spoke with four of the women plaintiffs, all of whom stated the work environment at the restaurant created or worsened mental health issues or dependencies on alcohol, drugs or cigarettes as coping mechanisms."

I'm sure there's a lot more too it but that sounds like a normal restaurant staff to me, especially the young crowd that stays out and parties after the place shuts down at night.

Terribly overrated but I find myself there out of habit. I just don’t confuse it with fine dining.
I’ve put up with this sentiment long enough in this thread and will stay quiet no longer.
Their fried green tomatoes with Vidalia sauce is an all time favorite of mine. I don’t care what anyone says about any of the rest of their food, but those are delicious and this needs to be established.

I’ve put up with this sentiment long enough in this thread and will stay quiet no longer.
Their fried green tomatoes with Vidalia sauce is an all time favorite of mine. I don’t care what anyone says about any of the rest of their food, but those are delicious and this needs to be established.
yes it’s their vidalia bacon dressing and it is good.

Reactions: Caddydawg
Last resort is great for the price, five and ten is still the best restaurant in town if price doesnt matter
You don't win the awards Hugh has won, voted on by his peers, without being highly respected by the industry. Everyone has different taste and dining requirements but Hugh has been the most celebrated chef in Athens for years and no one else is close. I eat there everytime I'm in Athens and always enjoy it. Good wine selection, too.

Maybe just don’t follow him? Personally I don’t care what your political views might be. I don’t think someone should be cancelled for them
My political views don’t align with Hugh but he does a ton of great work in the community. His book “A New Turn in the South” is my culinary Bible and I’m a huge fan of all of his restaurants. A dinner at Five & Ten amplifies any great weekend in Athens.

The Last Resort was at its pinnacle in 1971 when it served only chips with the beer, and Jimmy Buffett was up on the stage.

My political views don’t align with Hugh but he does a ton of great work in the community. His book “A New Turn in the South” is my culinary Bible and I’m a huge fan of all of his restaurants. A dinner at Five & Ten amplifies any great weekend in Athens.
Really good cookbook. His collard green recipe (with maple syrup) is outstanding, and the boiled peanut hummus is fusion cooking at its finest.

Reactions: pasadenadawg
Weaver D’s is just as good now as it was then.

Fried pork chops, buttered potatoes, Mac & Cheese, greens, etc.

Chops & Gravy over rice, fried chicken, etc.

Dammit- now I’m hungry.

Honorable mention to Waffle House as well (even though the 5 points location is no longer).

Haven’t been to Barberitos, Cali n Tito’s or the counter at Add Drug lately, but I’m assuming they’re still holding up just fine as well.
Food for the Soul is much better.

I do like these posts longing for good old days which, honestly, don’t sound very good. People shouldn’t get sexually harassed at work and, if they are, there should be a legal remedy. That shouldn’t be controversial
If you follow sexual harassment cases in Georgia much, you know this case is going nowhere fast. The law does not favor the workers in Federal court in Georgia.

I do like these posts longing for good old days which, honestly, don’t sound very good. People shouldn’t get sexually harassed at work and, if they are, there should be a legal remedy. That shouldn’t be controversial
For 98% of the population its not controversial.

So then the perpetrators can target the next group, and the next. At what point are they called to account and how, under your scenario?
Unless it’s simply an easy card, like others, to use nowadays? I don’t condone sexual harrassment either but we now live in a society filled with bandwagon jumpers when they smell blood in the water. I just hope this isn’t another one of those situations because we seem to be heading down a path where people are offended by just about anything said and opposing views are no longer acceptable. That’s a scary proposition to me.

This is how I feel about it as well. It was a good place as a 21yr old in a college town. Once I actually got out into the broader world had had legit good food it was just meh
Before Last Resort, the “fine dining” options in Athens were DePalmas, Harry Bissett’s, T Bones and Cholly Williams Pinecrest Lodge (“You name it, we fry it!”). When LR opened people freaked out - I remember my girlfriend saying “they have SHRIMP-AND-GRITS!” like it was the most exotic thing ever. Their food doesn’t hold up well compared to their peers these days, but they showed you could make fine dining in Athens viable, so I’ll always appreciate that contribution. Not so much with the sexual harassment though...

Before Last Resort, the “fine dining” options in Athens were DePalmas, Harry Bissett’s, T Bones and Cholly Williams Pinecrest Lodge (“You name it, we fry it!”). When LR opened people freaked out - I remember my girlfriend saying “they have SHRIMP-AND-GRITS!” like it was the most exotic thing ever. Their food doesn’t hold up well compared to their peers these days, but they showed you could make fine dining in Athens viable, so I’ll always appreciate that contribution. Not so much with the sexual harassment though...

It was definitely a step up from the restaurant scene in Athens at the time.

Reactions: Artie Fufkin
Reactions: Caddydawg
I don't know the facts in this case, but I don't take statements in a newspaper article or the content of an employment related lawsuit as being fully correct at first review. Claims in this type of litigation are very commonly exaggerated. It may all be true. It may not. My statement would be "If the allegations are true, unreal how awful the owners and managers were".
Not condoning management, but were the employees prohibited or prevented from quitting?

Not condoning management, but were the employees prohibited or prevented from quitting?
No....Melissa has always ran top-notch places.The problem with restaurants in Athens the good ones anyways, is Athens is somewhat of am transient town, young people tend to move around a lot, and when school is not in there isnt enough patrons to support enough long term to stay open, that why you see such a huge turnover in the business, with only a handful surviving long term.

We had dinner last night at Butcher&Vine in 5 Points, forty years ago i sat in the every smalll building eating Pizza when it was Boxcar Pizza,

Man. You forgot The Peddler

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT