ADVERTISEMENT

Sounds like Trump

OlecountryDawg

Pillar of the DawgVent
Jan 24, 2008
Heard tee use to say the heck with it .. hell or high water things are opening next month . Travel at your own risk and wash your hands.

am I understanding what he’s saying ?

Reactions: Defector
Damn right he is. And he didn’t stutter. Surprised it isn’t more of a story.

I think they maybe good or bad. I think fairly there needs to be workers rights . Say you’re fine but your wife has a medical problem. Boss says to come in but your wife at risk . You tell boss your concerns but the boss doesn’t care .

now at the same time I think the husband should have to get a letter from her doctor stating such but something needs to be there to protect a worker .

I think they maybe good or bad. I think fairly there needs to be workers rights . Say you’re fine but your wife has a medical problem. Boss says to come in but your wife at risk . You tell boss your concerns but the boss doesn’t care .

now at the same time I think the husband should have to get a letter from her doctor stating such but something needs to be there to protect a worker .
I think the much more common situation is that an overwhelming majority of the population in addition to having cabin fever are gonna say “we gotta eat. Ready to work”. Gotta balance this thing because a lot more lives will be devastated if we go too far in the sole goal of limiting infections. Despite the fact that most seem pinned to one side or the other, Trump isn’t afraid to find that balance. He will get hammered for it as numbers go up, but the country in general will be better for it.

Heard tee use to say the heck with it .. hell or high water things are opening next month . Travel at your own risk and wash your hands.

am I understanding what he’s saying ?
He has no choice at this point. Let this thing carry us into a 1930’s type depression or let people be accountable for themselves and use a little common sense and get the economy cranking again. I know a lot of people don’t know how to be accountable for their own actions, so Darwinism will take care of that problem.

General question to the "open it back up" crowd.

How many American deaths are acceptable casualties in order to get the economy back on track?

1,000?
10,000?
100,000?
1,000,000?

Or will it take the death of a loved one. How many GDP points is your mother's life worth?

Any economic bump that results from Trump simply declaring we are back in business will be modest and unsustainable. You can open stores, but you can’t make people go into them. And when the case count spikes, our medical system will collapse. This virus does no give a shit about Trump’s ego and won’t even notice his childish attempt to bully it.

How many American deaths are acceptable casualties in order to get the economy back on track?

1,000?
10,000?
100,000?
1,000,000?

Or will it take the death of a loved one. How many GDP points is your mother's life worth?

I don't know. How many highway deaths each yr are acceptable? Influenza kills tens of thousands per yr. Should we all live in a bubble due to the dangers of driving or the flu?

Like with any danger, we must collect information, protect the vulnerable as best as we can and put those at very little risk back into the workplace. We can't kill the economy by putting everyone in a bubble but we can put the at risk in a bubble until we get an effective vaccine.

1,000?
10,000?
100,000?
1,000,000?

I told my blushing bride this and she agree . You will never get people attention about this virus until , we surpass flu deaths . 32,000 have died from the flu . Until we reach 32,000 no one going take this seriously. So far in the world tonight there 16,517 deaths from this virus . Still not at the flu level . Until we hit flu numbers no one will care . Open up my barbershop I’m ready for a fade .

1,000?
10,000?
100,000?
1,000,000?

Good point. I will immediately restrict everyone I know from ever driving or leaving the house again.

Reactions: Pedigree

1,000?
10,000?
100,000?
1,000,000?

A lot more loved ones will suffer if we head into a 1929 style depression. The democrats are gonna side with the extreme scientific response mainly because they oppose everything that Trump does. But it will make their political bubble heads spin how quickly they will see that the overwhelming majority of Americans are level headed people who can think for themselves and scream from the hills that they gotta eat. And they gotta work. And yes - we can be careful about it.

An executive with a lifetime in business understands the need for balance. Lifetime politicians who make money by giving speeches and voting have zero perspective.

1,000?
10,000?
100,000?
1,000,000?

Dude....go live in a cave.

If we live like you believe, car travel should be illegal until there are no more deaths due to car accidents.

This is no time for wussifcation.

In order to build immune systems, those systems have to be exposed and exercised.

Reactions: JackRussellDawg

1,000?
10,000?
100,000?
1,000,000?

Victor Davis Hanson said yesterday we will reach a point where non-virus deaths caused by the shutdown will exceed virus deaths. He mentioned postponed surgeries, suicides, drug overdoses, unavailable medications, and others I don't remember.

And over the next few weeks we’ll hear “I told you so, Trump killing people for suggesting we pull back on quarantine”.

But once again they’ll be ignoring the fact that a dramatic rise in reported cases is coming as testing is implemented.

Simply we can mitigate the spread, hopefully begin treatment of symptoms better, hopefully keep healthcare system from collapse.

What’s become apparent is we cannot go into a long nationwide shutdown without truly destroying the economy. Not a recession, not a depression. We’re talking potential of 30-50% unemployment or worse. Total societal collapse.

Then where do we stand?

And over the next few weeks we’ll hear “I told you so, Trump killing people for suggesting we pull back on quarantine”.

But once again they’ll be ignoring the fact that a dramatic rise in reported cases is coming as testing is implemented.

Simply we can mitigate the spread, hopefully begin treatment of symptoms better, hopefully keep healthcare system from collapse.

What’s become apparent is we cannot go into a long nationwide shutdown without truly destroying the economy. Not a recession, not a depression. We’re talking potential of 30-50% unemployment or worse. Total societal collapse.

Then where do we stand?

This is a trip.

For the last 2 weeks, we've heard from the right that the numbers of Covid-19 deaths are overestimated, and that traffic deaths and Swine Flu was much worse. On this board, we've heard that the media is over blowing, exaggerating the severity of the effects of the virus.

Now suddenly the right is freaking out that our economy can't afford to deal with reducing those deaths.

The highest employment number I've heard is 20%. Now suddenly, you've gone up to 30-50%. Who is "talking" that?

What do you consider a long national shutdown? Two months? Six months? A year? Five?

This is a trip.

For the last 2 weeks, we've heard from the right that the numbers of Covid-19 deaths are overestimated, and that traffic deaths and Swine Flu was much worse. On this board, we've heard that the media is over blowing, exaggerating the severity of the effects of the virus.

Now suddenly the right is freaking out that our economy can't afford to deal with reducing those deaths.

The highest employment number I've heard is 20%. Now suddenly, you've gone up to 30-50%. Who is "talking" that?

What do you consider a long national shutdown? Two months? Six months? A year? Five?

Goldman Sacs provided estimates based on timeline variables & models that indicated on the extreme end near 60% unemployment should we hold current lockdown recommendations into the summer. In the teens & 20s with less extreme variables & timelines.

For comparison the highest unemployment rates the US has ever faced was 24.9% during the Great Depression. 10% in 2009 recession.

Besides, we aren’t in a “national” shutdown. Fed is only recommending/providing guidelines.

The only shutdowns by Fed are borders & international air traffic minus trade.

State & local make final determinations based on local needs as it should be.

NYC does not = small town Wyoming
Atlanta does not = Willacoochee Ga

There are in between measures we can take federally & allow locals to carry on as they see fit. That’s what they’re looking at.

Not sure your point at all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT