ADVERTISEMENT

This is what passes as news these days

Article is about Gannett specifically, but I found this chart as a major indictment of just how bad the AJC has bcome. Just an astonishing decline.

The St. Louis metro is 2.2m and Atlanta's is 6m+, yet the papers are essentially even. Seattle is about half the size of Atlanta, yet has almost twice the subscribers.

I gave it up in 2017 I believe, after having read it my entire life. And I don't miss it.

https://www.niemanlab.org/2023/03/t...struction-in-gannetts-markets-is-astonishing/

Screenshot-2023-03-08-at-1.58.57-PM.png

Article is about Gannett specifically, but I found this chart as a major indictment of just how bad the AJC has bcome. Just an astonishing decline.

The St. Louis metro is 2.2m and Atlanta's is 6m+, yet the papers are essentially even. Seattle is about half the size of Atlanta, yet has almost twice the subscribers.

I gave it up in 2017 I believe, after having read it my entire life. And I don't miss it.

https://www.niemanlab.org/2023/03/t...struction-in-gannetts-markets-is-astonishing/

There is a disconnect with their core readers and their political agenda or that is part of the issue. Kemp got like 60% of the vote and 75% of their coverage was pro Abrams and anti Kemp. Doesn’t make since as a Business model to me….

Hey, that's nothin'. Check out my local fishwrapper, number two on the list, number one in overall decline:
Screenshot-2023-03-10-at-7.29.18-AM.jpg

Reactions: Whosyodawgy
There is a disconnect with their core readers and their political agenda or that is part of the issue. Kemp got like 60% of the vote and 75% of their coverage was pro Abrams and anti Kemp. Doesn’t make since as a Business model to me….
Bingo. I really saw this in the 2000's-mid 2010's. I think their "journalists" want to be as liberal as the WaPo and NYT, but the readership is (or was) not that liberal. Therefore, the circulation is in freefall.

I dropped it when over 50% of the paper was from wire reports and the sports section was down to about 8 pages - at most.

Reactions: Athens is Heaven
It’s interesting bc it appears social media is going to wipe out the legacy media. It’s their own fault. We all have eyes and while none of us demand absolute equal treatment of news, we all expect neutral and honest reporting. None of them do that anymore. It’s all biased and everything has a political bent to the Left. The sad part is they can’t see it, and by the sound of comments coming out of J-schools across the country, they don’t get it at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT