ADVERTISEMENT

Trans adults should be banned from school property immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that they should have, but this is far from universal. In the past couple of years especially, shrinking police budgets and staffing, as well as the actions of some school boards, have forced resource officers out of many schools. In some places, the resource officers are now unarmed and must call for armed backup if there is a need.

In my own area, I have seen the school systems go from full time dedicated resource officers on school campuses just a few years ago, to part time, then to on-call only.
When something happens at one of those schools, lawsuits will follow alleging failure to retain personnel and provide safe campus. There are consequences to reducing safety measures especially if more Admin personnel are in place.

1) if a teacher is coming face to face with a shooter….they already have the drop on you, going for your weapon pretty much insures your fate.

I like the odds of someone talking them down better.

2) Crossfire is another consideration, innocents being wounded or even worse….killed, if teachers armed.

3) some teachers that are armed, don’t have the experience as a trained retired police may have.

They may mistake an innocent person for a shooter and fire. Innocents other than intended victim could be killed/injured.

Some just don’t have the mental makeup for all of this. Pretty sure you just make the problem worse.

As I earlier stated, if you start allowing teachers to arm …..what’s next, students??

No feasible solution will completely stop it, but I think teachers being armed will make it worse.

Again as stated before:

1) Lock all doors/entrances including classroom when school is in.

2) Hire armed security at the main entrance and possibly hallways.

Nothing is guaranteed, but it will curb it all imo.
Those are excellent points. Secured entrances, locked, with one main entrance, ample security cameras monitoring would be a good beginning.

Those are excellent points. Secured entrances, locked, with one main entrance, ample security cameras monitoring would be a good beginning.
Easier said than done, it’s all money related.

But lives are more important. Time to bite the bullet and raise taxes (home owners). But I’m afraid you will have some reluctancy from the homeowners….especially the ones with no kids in school. Hence, probably the issue.

Something definitely needs to be put into law once and for all & made mandatory.

Private schools can make this expense part of their tuition costs.

As I believe you mentioned above, there are going to be some big azz lawsuits if not. Gonna cost more in the end.

Last edited:
The problem could be solved or greatly diminished if our schools had armed teachers. Many teachers would elect to be trained with a firearm , others wouldn’t . These spineless , evil creatures that would try to shoot at school children & teachers will not go to schools that have signs posted ,stating that their faculty are armed.
BS. The problem is not every thing in the world but guns. The problem is assault weapons and the failure of lawmakers to pass commmon sense gun laws. Not taking guns from hunters, etc, but just common sense things like closing loopholes and banning assault rifles. No one needs an automatic weapon to shoot a deer. We should value life, especially the lives of our children, vs. excessive gun rights.

BS. The problem is not every thing in the world but guns. The problem is assault weapons and the failure of lawmakers to pass commmon sense gun laws. Not taking guns from hunters, etc, but just common sense things like closing loopholes and banning assault rifles. No one needs an automatic weapon to shoot a deer. We should value life, especially the lives of our children, vs. excessive gun rights.
Automatic weapons are already illegal. Stop being obtuse. There were semi automatic weapons 40 years ago. The way we handle mental illness is what has changed, and it's evident in so many different ways in our society now.

Automatic weapons are already illegal. Stop being obtuse. There were semi automatic weapons 40 years ago. The way we handle mental illness is what has changed, and it's evident in so many different ways in our society now.
huh?

at least we try to handle mental illness now. what planet are you from?

Reactions: Athens is Heaven
huh?

at least we try to handle mental illness now. what planet are you from?
Now you're being obtuse. If you can't admit that instead of treating the mind now we mutilate the body, then we can never have a truthful discussion. We don't treat mental illness now. We coddle the mentally unstable, make excuses for their actions, blame others for being intolerant, all the while encouraging immoral and unethical behavior in the name of acceptance.

Easier said than done, it’s all money related.

But lives are more important. Time to bite the bullet and raise taxes (home owners). But I’m afraid you will have some reluctancy from the homeowners….especially the ones with no kids in school. Hence, probably the issue.

Something definitely needs to be put into law once and for all & made mandatory.

Private schools can make this expense part of their tuition costs.

As I believe you mentioned above, there are going to be some big azz lawsuits if not. Gonna cost more in the end.
What you hate to see, and it happens far too often in public schools, is a war while program such as security cutback while another Asst Supt, Asst Principal, or more benefits are approved. It’s called PRIORITY. Sadly, public schools aka Govt schools, have become Far too involved in politics and left wing agendas. Teacher’s Unions are horrible

No, wait, we should ban guns in schools. That would solve the problem.
But Wait, They already Are! Only lawbreakers (mostly disturbed libs. < that is redundant) bring guns to schools with anything but good intentions.

Now you're being obtuse. If you can't admit that instead of treating the mind now we mutilate the body, then we can never have a truthful discussion. We don't treat mental illness now. We coddle the mentally unstable, make excuses for their actions, blame others for being intolerant, all the while encouraging immoral and unethical behavior in the name of acceptance.
Look, I am not all about the over-prescription of SSRIs either, and our mental health infrastructure in the US is mostly junk, but at least you can talk about mental health now.

40 years ago you could barely get a diagnosis for dyslexia, much less depression.

Because raising taxes on homeowners creates more issues than it resolves. There are far better ways to raise the money necessary to fund those initiatives.

I'll start -- stop giving money to Ukraine, and start using it to provide better security for American schools.
It has to be voted on from the school district, if you don’t want it passed…..don’t vote on it.

Homeowners are not paying for Ukraine….two different things.

If you don’t understand and own a home, check to see how your tax money you pay yearly is distributed.

It has to be voted on from the school district, if you don’t want it passed…..don’t vote on it.

Homeowners are not paying for Ukraine….two different things.

If you don’t understand and own a home, check to see how your tax money you pay yearly is distributed.

I never said homeowners were paying for Ukraine (not through property tax, at least). My issue is with the solution being to raise taxes, rather than reallocate what we currently do pay in tax.

Last I looked, local and state pay the majority of the expenses for public schools…..federal pays maybe less than 10% I believe.

Although I don’t agree with what we are doing in Ukraine, I don’t think that is a major factor expense wise.

The money has to come from somewhere if there is armed security.

It has to be voted on…..and imo, it should be voted on to help stop this craziness. Simple, you don’t like it…don’t vote for it.

If you don’t like that idea and want the cheaper, nonsensical way…..push for the teachers to be armed, or not.

Nobody likes to pay more taxes, but it has to come from somewhere…..

Last edited:
Reactions: shonuff253
Last I looked, local and state pay the majority of the expenses for public schools…..federal pays maybe less than 10% I believe.

Although I don’t agree with what we are doing in Ukraine, I don’t think that is a major factor expense wise.

The money has to come from somewhere if there is armed security.

It has to be voted on…..and imo, it should be voted on to help stop this craziness. Simple, you don’t like it…don’t vote for it.

If you don’t like that and want the cheaper, nonsensical way…..push for the teachers to be armed, or not.

Nobody likes to pay more taxes, but it has to come from somewhere…..

All good points, and you aren’t even taking into account the cost of liability insurance for schools that allow armed teachers on campus. Whatever the school system is paying now would skyrocket.

All good points, and you aren’t even taking into account the cost of liability insurance for schools that allow armed teachers on campus. Whatever the school system is paying now would skyrocket.
Did say before that I am not in favor of armed teachers….gave the reasons why, but that wasn’t one of them…and there are probably more.

Reactions: KidneyStoned
Point to ponder: Over 90% of mass shootings occur in "gun free zones."

FsVzpqQWcAAu3Hj
Pretty sure we had guns 30-40 yrs ago…where were all the school shootings then? it’s pretty obvious this problem starts with mental health

No one HAS an automatic weapon to shoot deer, get lost.

Last edited:
Look, I am not all about the over-prescription of SSRIs either, and our mental health infrastructure in the US is mostly junk, but at least you can talk about mental health now.

40 years ago you could barely get a diagnosis for dyslexia, much less depression.
So how would you compare mental health 40 years ago to today? Better or worse now?

Hell, have armed security & armed teachers that have taken a proper training class in self defense with a firearm. The criminals aren’t going there, not a chance in hell! My sister is a teacher & handles a handgun very well, she would love to have a chance to defend herself & her students if put in that type of situation. At the very least, her & her students would have a chance, without a sidearm , that chance would be greatly diminished!

So how would you compare mental health 40 years ago to today? Better or worse now?
I think it's just as prevalent. The human condition is the human condition.

It's more visible now because there are more people now seeking help and more resources for them to access, and it's less taboo to do so.

I would also say that today more people who don't need them use antidepressants etc. as a crutch, but that was also true to a lesser extent (because less visible, more taboo)in the 50s - just different drugs.

I would also say that people are overusing SSRIs in part because no one wants to / has time to do the work / therapy that is important to make sure you don't become chronically dependent on them.

Last edited:
Trannies are mentally ill folks!! They should be treated as such! They don’t need to be treated as hero’s! I’m pretty sure no one on here would think the same of a 40 year old dude dressing up as Superman and attempting to fly to work everyday! What’s the damn difference! Both have mental issues!!

Reactions: SLC_Dawg and ugaboz
Hell, have armed security & armed teachers that have taken a proper training class in self defense with a firearm. The criminals aren’t going there, not a chance in hell! My sister is a teacher & handles a handgun very well, she would love to have a chance to defend herself & her students if put in that type of situation. At the very least, her & her students would have a chance, without a sidearm , that chance would be greatly diminished!
My sister is a teacher & handles a handgun very well, she would love to have a chance to defend herself & her students if put in that type of situation.
What kind of person would look forward to being put in a situation where they're the only thing standing between a crazed murderer and innocent schoolchildren?

I think it's just as prevalent. The human condition is the human condition.

It's more visible now because there are more people now seeking help and more resources for them to access, and it's less taboo to do so.

I would also say that today more people who don't need them use antidepressants etc. as a crutch, but that was also true to a lesser extent (because less visible, more taboo)in the 50s - just different drugs.

I would also say that people are overusing SSRIs in part because no one wants to / has time to do the work / therapy that is important to make sure you don't become chronically dependent on

Agreed. Mental illness is nothing new.

I do think the subject of mental illness needs to be addressed, more intently in this country. I don't think we are helping people, if fail to live in reality, when it comes to mental health. If something is wrong with a person, that issue needs to be identified and addressed. It doesn't need to be downplayed, for the sake of someone's feelings.

I'm not talking about being unkind, I'm talking about being honest and realistic about what a person might be dealing with. And doing what is best for them, not what is best for the feelings/views of someone else.

great post

Man, the right sure has been on a culture war kick for the past few years...

First it was the nothingburger of CRT, then pedophilia and grooming, bans on books and now an all-out war against LGBTQ+. Republicans are using perverted fictions about LGBTQ people to advance a bleak political and social agenda. Old-school social conservatism is underpinning all of this. Rolling back public acceptance of transgender people and repealing same-sex marriage has been a long-term goal of the Republican party, even if they stopped talking about it for several years while public opinion turned against them.

Now, they see an opportunity to revive those goals and punish the LGBTQ community for simply existing. It's a good thing public opinion is still against them.

First it was the nothingburger of CRT, then pedophilia and grooming, bans on books and now an all-out war against LGBTQ+. Republicans are using perverted fictions about LGBTQ people to advance a bleak political and social agenda. Old-school social conservatism is underpinning all of this. Rolling back public acceptance of transgender people and repealing same-sex marriage has been a long-term goal of the Republican party, even if they stopped talking about it for several years while public opinion turned against them.

Now, they see an opportunity to revive those goals and punish the LGBTQ community for simply existing. It's a good thing public opinion is still against them.

Golden Girls Rose GIF by TV Land

“acceptance of transgender people”???

Shat, more like tolerate 4 me.

Not a dayum thing I can do about it, they’ve been around forever,….so I don’t spend time worrying about it.

However, I will never invite them to dinner, welcome them to my neighborhood nor will I ever be welcoming them to any public restroom or dressing/locker room that I or any of my family are in.

That’s where I draw the line….and they will know it. They should go to the one that they were born to go in.

Trannies are mentally ill folks!! They should be treated as such! They don’t need to be treated as hero’s! I’m pretty sure no one on here would think the same of a 40 year old dude dressing up as Superman and attempting to fly to work everyday! What’s the damn difference! Both have mental issues!!
“acceptance of transgender people”???

Shat, more like tolerate 4 me.

Not a dayum thing I can do about it, they’ve been around forever,….so I don’t spend time worrying about it.

However, I will never invite them to dinner, welcome them to my neighborhood nor will I ever be welcoming them to any public restroom or dressing/locker room that I or any of my family are in.

That’s where I draw the line….and they will know it. They should go to the one that they were born to go in.
I wonder if that is because you don't know any? but I also think that "tolerate" is just fine.

The good news for you is that you are an older, Southern he/him, and They generally are wary of Those.

That wasn't a shot.

As I recall you are GenX, and with these youngs today, if you are over 35 you might as well be father time himself (as I myself have been told).

I actually think THAT is the biggest issue with our failure of communication in this country.

Young people have little interest and no idea how to talk to anyone not exactly their age.

You mean the same CRT "nothingburger" that has won the GOP several gubernatorial seats (Virginia most notably) and has flipped countless school boards to conservative majorities?

It's interesting that you liberals still don't see the issues. Makes things much easier for Republicans.

You mean the same CRT "nothingburger" that has won the GOP several gubernatorial seats (Virginia most notably) and has flipped countless school boards to conservative majorities?

It's interesting that you liberals still don't see the issues. Makes things much easier for Republicans.
Just because it's effective politics doesn't mean the issue is being presented honestly.

Republicans have proven that over and over and over. Hence, more power to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT