ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Way ND: Who is the most overrated musical artist of all time?

Ahhh yes. This thread was made last summer also. This is when you really know who to roast for their musical taste, or lack thereof.

I wish Steve Miller Band would have borrowed Otis’ airplane and spared us that Space Cowboy crap. They were horrible, Otis was great.

Side note, the only two posthumous chart toppers were Janis’ Bobby McGee and Otis’ Dock of the Bay.

Nirvana started a whole wave of grunge music in the 1990s man. You may not like Nirvana but they were maybe the most relevant American band in the 1990s

U2 isn’t my jam but they’ve obviously done something right
Not a Cobain fan but Dave Grohl thinks highly of them (Foo Fighters). Grohl was the drummer. He called Cobain a genius. And gives them credit for changing the direction of rock music at the time.

Reactions: JCarbo76
Soundgarden and Nirvana are generally viewed as the first bands to take grunge into the mainstream. Cornell is definitely more talented than Cobain and I would argue Dave Grohl is as well but Nirvana will always hold a unique place in rock history.
Very good answer!

Grohl may be the best overall rock musician of our lifetimes.
I love Dave Grohl. But not sure I would call him best overall. But he is up there for sure. And I would agree maybe the best "influencer" of our current time (last 20 years and counting).

Clapton
Grateful Dead
Janice Joplin
Rolling Stones
Taylor Swift
Justin Beiber
Bob Dylan
Anything rap/hip hop except Digital Underground
So many musicians can be regarded great or not by many different standards. If you are talking about just talent or musical skill, I would agree with most of your list. Clapton? NO WAY. One of the most talented guitarists of the past 30 years. And guitarists would tell you the same. Not much of a singer. Taylor has actually gotten better the past 10 years from her early "bubble-gum" sound. But hate her current politics (no, not going there)). Dylan/Joplin increased popularity of American folk singers dramatically. Never been a Dead fan. But Bieber??? Yes has to be in the top 5 of worst for his career. Like "baby, baby, baby no" talent. Sucks. ))

Last edited:
Bon Jovi and Journey
Over-played and over-copied. No doubt. Journey had way more talent than Bon Jovi ever did. Journey is pretty good and much more iconic today than Bon Jovi. And they persevered unlike Bon Jovi. Arenel Pineda is pretty good.

I don’t think many people think they are good. Hard to be overrated when a lot of people think you suck lol
I thought of that, but do you see the hitch in the logic? For a lot of people to think you suck, you have to be pretty well known.

To be the most over rated, wouldn't you have to have the biggest negative gap between how famous you are and how good you are? If everybody knows who Nickelback is, and everybody thinks they suck, they must be a contender. After all, somebody bought a whole lot of their records.

Reactions: BaileyDawg79
So this is a bit like what I said to the other guy about Nirvana. You may not LIKE the Beatles but their greatness cannot be overstated for their genre at that time period
I just don't personally think they belong in the group of "Best Ever". I completely agree that they changed music and have good songs, I just can't put them in the top tier group. Overrated to me, but still great.

They are kind of like Derek Jeter to me. Nobody is questioning how great they were, but they aren't in the top tier of the Hall of Fame.

BINGO! Damn, we agreed again. Don’t forget The Doors and Garth Brooks.
I don’t think anyone has mentioned either of these either. The Rolling Stones and Aerosmith. Both had some great songs but damn they are so overrated. They may just be a victim of longevity. They made a lot of mediocre music over the years.

Reactions: willdup
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT