ADVERTISEMENT

Where was the fiscal discipline...

jbpayne32

Letterman and National Champion
Dec 29, 2014
When Trump added $7.8 trillion to the national debt and $4.7 trillion prior to COVID in his 4 years in office? I mean, you had control of both the Senate and House from 2016-2018 and not a peep, but now let's threaten financial armageddon in order to cut Social Security and Medicare from seniors when a Democrat is in office. This is going to work out well for Republicans...

The party that "slashes" SS and medicare will be committing political suicide. Neither party is going to do this until we are practically bankrupt. Every few years a peice like this comes out about one party or the other and how they plan to take our SS. I'm certainly not saying it won't every happen. But we will have to be in dire straits financially as a country before that happens. BTW, in the 80's it was the democrats who were planning to take the SS. In the 90's (early) it was the republicans. In a few years it will be the democrats again. But if any party wants to disappear, let them be responsible solely for cutting SS.
JC

The party that "slashes" SS and medicare will be committing political suicide. Neither party is going to do this until we are practically bankrupt. Every few years a peice like this comes out about one party or the other and how they plan to take our SS. I'm certainly not saying it won't every happen. But we will have to be in dire straits financially as a country before that happens. BTW, in the 80's it was the democrats who were planning to take the SS. In the 90's (early) it was the republicans. In a few years it will be the democrats again. But if any party wants to disappear, let them be responsible solely for cutting SS.
JC
Oh I agree. I honestly can't understand how Republicans think this is a good idea in the slightest...

JC

We are already bankrupt. Just going to get worse. OP is right, neither party is financially responsible. They both make up our government, which is where the problem lies, as usual.

Neither party will save this country. The dems only accelerate the destruction of our republic faster than the other party but both are responsible for the impending collapse

When Trump added $7.8 trillion to the national debt and $4.7 trillion prior to COVID in his 4 years in office? I mean, you had control of both the Senate and House from 2016-2018 and not a peep, but now let's threaten financial armageddon in order to cut Social Security and Medicare from seniors when a Democrat is in office. This is going to work out well for Republicans...

LMAO. So you use this:

"After being evasive about their plans for entitlement programs like Social Security and Medicare in the months leading up to midterms, the House GOP has begun to confirm its intention to cut spending on both.

That's according to The Washington Post's Tony Romm, who reported that Republican lawmakers are willing to use the debt ceiling as a bargaining chip in order to get the Biden administration to cave on spending cuts to Medicare and Social Security. Failing to raise the debt ceiling by the summer could cause the US to default on its debt for the first time in history, the consequences of which would be dire."

To bash pubs with an absurd headline?

1. Everybody that has any understanding of basic economics understands SS needs to be restructured to some degree but both sides ( mainly Dems) demagogue the hell out of anyone that tries to move younger folks to a more of a 401K structure.

2. Those that are nearing retirement age and have (uh hum) invested into the promise of SS need to be made whole.

Now, that doesn't mean slash SS and medicare. It does mean we need an honest, propaganda free debate on how to move forward and ensure solvency. And yes, both parties are monumental clusterboinks and it's the ONLY reason why Trump ever gained 10% support. Both parties have engaged in policies and practices that are more in the interest of the governing than the governed but one side of the aisle is more all in on protecting their tribe, even if it means it's to their personal detriment.

We are already bankrupt. Just going to get worse. OP is right, neither party is financially responsible. They both make up our government, which is where the problem lies, as usual.

Neither party will save this country. The dems only accelerate the destruction of our republic faster than the other party but both are responsible for the impending collapse
We aren't bankrupt as long as we are among the most wealthy countries in the world based on private holdings. But I do agree that we are financially unhealthy. Both parties are like little brothers that can do nothing but fight in the back seat of the car on a long trip. Time to kick both kids to the curb.
JC

Now, that doesn't mean slash SS and medicare. It does mean we need an honest, propaganda free debate on how to move forward and ensure solvency. And yes, both parties are monumental clusterboinks and it's the ONLY reason why Trump ever gained 10% support. Both parties have engaged in policies and practices that are more in the interest of the governing than the governed but one side of the aisle is more all in on protecting their tribe, even if it means it's to their personal detriment.
At this point Republicans haven't even said what they want, but just are saying they won't vote to raise the debt ceiling.

If it was about ensuring financial solvency of the US, then Republicans would just raise the debt ceiling, but it isn't about that. It's about playing chicken with the financial solvency of the US to try and "own the libs", which might work when in the minority, but not exactly a great policy when you are in any kind of leadership position.

Reactions: shonuff253
LMAO. So you use this:

"After being evasive about their plans for entitlement programs like Social Security and Medicare in the months leading up to midterms, the House GOP has begun to confirm its intention to cut spending on both.

That's according to The Washington Post's Tony Romm, who reported that Republican lawmakers are willing to use the debt ceiling as a bargaining chip in order to get the Biden administration to cave on spending cuts to Medicare and Social Security. Failing to raise the debt ceiling by the summer could cause the US to default on its debt for the first time in history, the consequences of which would be dire."

To bash pubs with an absurd headline?

1. Everybody that has any understanding of basic economics understands SS needs to be restructured to some degree but both sides ( mainly Dems) demagogue the hell out of anyone that tries to move younger folks to a more of a 401K structure.

2. Those that are nearing retirement age and have (uh hum) invested into the promise of SS need to be made whole.

the government took my money for 40 years. It is not entitlement it is my money. I want it back. So stop referring to my SS check as entitlements. It’s government returnment check.

At this point Republicans haven't even said what they want, but just are saying they won't vote to raise the debt ceiling.

If it was about ensuring financial solvency of the US, then Republicans would just raise the debt ceiling, but it isn't about that. It's about playing chicken with the financial solvency of the US to try and "own the libs", which might work when in the minority, but not exactly a great policy when you are in any kind of leadership position.
Your first paragraph is correct, the 2nd one I’m not so sure. I do think the current 2023 budget approved in late December is a cluster packed full of all type of entitlements and related. Go back to the FY 20 ( Pre Covid spending levels) make some modest adjustments and let that be your base budget. Not saying Trump didn’t spend more than he should but this current budget lacks any fiscal restraint and the republican senators that approved should be ashamed.

They, our elected politician, are not responsible to the citizens of this country anymore. Obama fixed that in 2010. Now that the Democratic Party used Covid fears to institute mail in ballots and everyone jumped on board because not to allow it now is racism.. what course does a American tax payer have to do to get their country back. You can’t listen to any young person they believe all this. They have been told sense birth how bad my country is. Even when everyone in the world is trying to get here, our young thinks we are bad.

The whole of DC is on on the money laundering scam to Ukraine. They will never stop spending money "that we don't have" to slush trough the corrupt system, through the defense contractors and back into campaign contributions.

As far as the budget blather, this is all about making headlines for the stupid media and will amount to jack squat. The politicians and the media love to spin this issue up, but if they were ever honest (rolls eyes), the American public would realize how stupid the budget issue has become.

Mandatory entitlements are 65% of the budget. Hell, Biden's 2022 budget deficit was LARGER than the amount of spending that Congress can actually control:

President Joe Biden released a $6.011 trillion federal budget proposal in May 2021 for fiscal year (FY) 2022. The U.S. government estimates it will receive $4.174 trillion in revenue through Sept. 30, 2022, creating a $1.837 trillion deficit for Oct. 1, 2022
The government expects to spend $6.011 trillion in 2022. More than 65% of that pays for mandated benefits such as Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid.

Discretionary spending pays for everything else. It will be $1.688 trillion.

And it is the Medicare and Medicaid spending that will bankrupt the country, not social security.

So how can any outlet publish a headline claiming Pubs are willing to slash SS and medicare?

Why you mean Pubs are playing politics? Imagine a political party engaging in Kabuki theater. I'm pretty sure we both know the Pubs are going to talk tough, the dems won't give much more than an inch if at all and the debt ceiling will get raised. Same game, wash, rinse repeat.

So how can any outlet publish a headline claiming Pubs are willing to slash SS and medicare?

Why you mean Pubs are playing politics? Imagine a political party engaging in Kabuki theater. I'm pretty sure we both know the Pubs are going to talk tough, the dems won't give much more than an inch if at all and the debt ceiling will get raised. Same game, wash, rinse repeat.
They are all soulless thieves when it comes to protecting our economy. They are in it to line their pockets and grow their bank accounts.

You mean like the last two times the Republicans messed with the debt ceiling and caused the first ever downgrade of the government credit rating?

Reactions: shonuff253
The whole of DC is on on the money laundering scam to Ukraine. They will never stop spending money "that we don't have" to slush trough the corrupt system, through the defense contractors and back into campaign contributions.

As far as the budget blather, this is all about making headlines for the stupid media and will amount to jack squat. The politicians and the media love to spin this issue up, but if they were ever honest (rolls eyes), the American public would realize how stupid the budget issue has become.

Mandatory entitlements are 65% of the budget. Hell, Biden's 2022 budget deficit was LARGER than the amount of spending that Congress can actually control:

President Joe Biden released a $6.011 trillion federal budget proposal in May 2021 for fiscal year (FY) 2022. The U.S. government estimates it will receive $4.174 trillion in revenue through Sept. 30, 2022, creating a $1.837 trillion deficit for Oct. 1, 2022
The government expects to spend $6.011 trillion in 2022. More than 65% of that pays for mandated benefits such as Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid.

Discretionary spending pays for everything else. It will be $1.688 trillion.

And it is the Medicare and Medicaid spending that will bankrupt the country, not social security.

Now do 2020 and 2021…when Trump was in office

Obama? Was he a member of Congress that voted on whether to raise the debt ceiling?
Obama was the president when our credit rating dropped from an A+ for the first time in history. That is what I am referring to.

I think we agree. My point is the younger generation should own their investment, not a promise from the government.
If you know the history of the SS system. When the SS account got so big in the late 50 and 60s the politicians couldn’t keep their hands off it or out of the till. They had a better idea, both parties did. Both for additional noble causes. Problem was it was people that was workings money, which never crosses a good causes mind. Now my money I made by working by the hour for 45 years is being returned to me as entitlement.

Reactions: Dawgdocindosta
If you know the history of the SS system. When the SS account got so big in the late 50 and 60s the politicians couldn’t keep their hands off it or out of the till. They had a better idea, both parties did. Both for additional noble causes. Problem was it was people that was workings money, which never crosses a good causes mind. Now my money I made by working by the hour for 45 years is being returned to me as entitlement.
That is why I'm saying the way the accounts are handled should be changed. mikul1 should have an account with x number of dollars he OWNS that can be drawn down upon retirement. If mikul1 expires before the money is exhausted, the remaining money should then go to the estate of mikul1. We're to old for that program now but the folks in their early 30s should own their contribution, not a promise from the government to send them money in the form of an entitlement.

Open your eyes. They are all the same. You can defend Dems all day long, they are still stealing you blind. Others can defend Pubs all day long, they are stealing them blind. Imo, what everyone should want is a press that covers EVERY person that possesses the power to tax and regulate with the vigor they covered Trump BUT to investigate and make sure they aren't feeding us bureaucratic BS.

Last edited:
Obama was the president when our credit rating dropped from an A+ for the first time in history. That is what I am referring to.
It was actually AAA to AA+, but Congress votes on whether to raise the debt ceiling. There was only one party who tried to make raising the debt ceiling a political issue.

The whole of DC is on on the money laundering scam to Ukraine
Did you not read my first sentence? Or are you still blinded with TDS rage?

It isn't about politics with my post. I pulled the most recent budget that was passed to use as an example, but YOU want to make it about parties. Which means the powers that be own you and your thoughts.

IDGAS who is in charge, they are all playing the same game.

Did you not read my first sentence? Or are you still blinded with TDS rage?

It isn't about politics with my post. I pulled the most recent budget that was passed to use as an example, but YOU want to make it about parties. Which means the powers that be own you and your thoughts.

IDGAS who is in charge, they are all playing the same game.
DJT has been out of office 2 years....TDS is a Mental Illness....

It was actually AAA to AA+, but Congress votes on whether to raise the debt ceiling. There was only one party who tried to make raising the debt ceiling a political issue.
Why is it that when we try to force financial responsibility it is a bad thing? Our economy CAN NOT support the debt we have foisted upon this and future generations. WE are ignoring homeless vets and Citizens , while supporting (with tax payers money) causes overseas, that fly against our best interest.
This is like knowing you have no more money in your bank account, but you have checks you can write, so keep writing those checks (to causes that harm your life) even though there is nothing to support them.

)
Why is it that when we try to force financial responsibility it is a bad thing? Our economy CAN NOT support the debt we have foisted upon this and future generations. WE are ignoring homeless vets and Citizens , while supporting (with tax payers money) causes overseas, that fly against our best interest.
This is like knowing you have no more money in your bank account, but you have checks you can write, so keep writing those checks (to causes that harm your life) even though there is nothing to support them.
a little worse than that. You are referring to only you. In your example you would be doing it for your neighbor. It’s not their money so kick all responsibilities down the road. Other professional politicians will guard the road and make sure none slows the can down until it is out of site then it is some else’s problem.

Reactions: Dawgfan1966
)

a little worse than that. You are referring to only you. In your example you would be doing it for your neighbor. It’s not their money so kick all responsibilities down the road. Other professional politicians will guard the road and make sure none slows the can down until it is out of site then it is some else’s problem.
Yes. You are correct, my example effected one person or family, but the reality is it affects all of us. Conservatives nor Liberals are not immune to the stupidity of our government.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT