ADVERTISEMENT

College Choices (University of Miami question)

helafono

National Champion
Gold Member
Nov 5, 2001
My daughter is a rising high school senior. Georgia is her top choice and she has a pretty good shot at getting in. But definitely not a lock. Her second choice would be either Alabama, where she may get into the honors program, or the University of Miami. Also considering FSU and UT-Austin.

She's definitely interested in Greek life and going through rush. She said Alabama is a bit intimidating on that front. Apparently Alabama's sorority row can be cutthroat. I'm sure Georgia's can be as well. But Alabama is notorious for that.

Miami is expensive, but i think we have a way to handle that. Anyone have any friends or family that have attended the U? She wants to do sports broadcasting and Miami has a good program and good opportunities. But its not a traditional campus in the sense that the stadium is 40 minutes away and students are bused to the football games. Not ideal. There are sororities, though not sure if their houses are near campus. The student population looks very diverse. Kind of like Tech in that regard. Still, it seems like a cool area, but i know no one personally that's gone there.

Anyone have any suggestions? Any experience at the University of Miami?

Reactions: blackpug6
Think this Conyers native did well at the U.

5bb5c72c2500003600396183.jpeg

My daughter is a rising high school senior. Georgia is her top choice and she has a pretty good shot at getting in. But definitely not a lock. Her second choice would be either Alabama, where she may get into the honors program, or the University of Miami. Also considering FSU and UT-Austin.

She's definitely interested in Greek life and going through rush. She said Alabama is a bit intimidating on that front. Apparently Alabama's sorority row can be cutthroat. I'm sure Georgia's can be as well. But Alabama is notorious for that.

Miami is expensive, but i think we have a way to handle that. Anyone have any friends or family that have attended the U? She wants to do sports broadcasting and Miami has a good program and good opportunities. But its not a traditional campus in the sense that the stadium is 40 minutes away and students are bused to the football games. Not ideal. There are sororities, though not sure if their houses are near campus. The student population looks very diverse. Kind of like Tech in that regard. Still, it seems like a cool area, but i know no one personally that's gone there.

No experience with Bama……but from my experience & my oldest daughter’s, she loved Arkansas (Fayetteville).

We visited several colleges before Arkansas, she loved it and the small town feel. Can relate to some of what you’re going through…..but for us, it was a perfect fit with no regrets.

Quaint (town area), safe, inviting, great campus etc. Just not sure about the sports broadcasting program there.

Couldn’t hurt to look into it, tuition and housing was reasonable as universities go….awesome experience for her. Wife and I could sleep at night.

Thinks you all will be pleasantly surprised….

Last edited:
No experience with Bama……but from my experience & my oldest daughter’s, she loved Arkansas (Fayetteville).

We visited several colleges before Arkansas, she loved it and the small town feel. Can relate to some of what you’re going through…..but for us, it was a perfect fit with no regrets.

Quaint, safe, inviting, great campus etc. Just not sure about the sports broadcasting program there.

Couldn’t hurt to look into it, tuition and housing was reasonable as universities go….awesome experience for her & wife and I could sleep at night.
To be honest, we haven't considered Arkansas. She is primarily interested in attending an SEC or ACC school for the sports and the greek life. A big state school. So it fits the profile. I'll ask her about Arkansas. Need to check into the broadcasting program. Still hoping for Georgia!

Think this Conyers native did well at the U.

5bb5c72c2500003600396183.jpeg
Haha, yeah. They have quality alum. My daughter models for Select in Atlanta. Part of the allure of Miami is tapping into that modeling scene to make a little extra money. Not going to lie, it helps with sports broadcasting as well. Sounding intelligent is just a part of it!

Reactions: doerunn
Haha, yeah. They have quality alum. My daughter models for Select in Atlanta. Part of the allure of Miami is tapping into that modeling scene to make a little extra money. Not going to lie, it helps with sports broadcasting as well. Sounding intelligent is just a part of it!
I lived there from 88 till 92, got blown out by Hurrican Andrew. I loved it, but that was then and this is now.

My son-in-law is a Miami grad. He was a Greek too. Now that he is 20 years out he says it's not worth the money and said he should have gone to UGA or Tech. (engineering grad).

many moons ago I considred UM,
price was not within our budget.

smallish school to seem their Big Time status...

went to a nearby 2 yr college
before jumping into the ATL madness.

one get's what one pays for?
not so sure these days ther are any dividends...

My wife's cousin and his wife went to The U.....really good school but D,JD, you'll have to deal with that puke green & orange for the rest of your life.

Reactions: blackpug6
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT