ADVERTISEMENT

Decommitments and Transfers in the church world

poorpreacher

Diehard supporter
Gold Member
Aug 12, 2003
Chat friends,

The buzz about Dylan Raiola's possible switch to Nebraska got me thinking. I had a thought and wanted to get it out of my system. If religion/church isn't your thing, that's fine.
Here goes:

What many Georgia fans are very upset, because it looks like Raiola is going to back out of his commitment to us, and will play for Nebraska.
Over on the Vent, someone was discussing how exhausting this kind of thing must be for Kirby. He spends hours of time, and thousands of dollars, building relationships, only to have players walk away, as soon as they get better offer.

For a minister, this is something we deal with on an ongoing basis.

Over the past 25 years, I can't count the number of times this has happened to me.

"Hey pastor! I really appreciate you taking the time to take us through a discipleship program, and the membership class, that we asked for. And thank you for visiting us in our home, and being with me, during my heart surgery. I know we just joined 3 months ago. But my sister really wants us to go to church with them.....over at Mega Big Time Church. We really love your congregation, but Mega Big Time has so much more to offer and its only a 30 minute drive. Plus my sister says I can be in charge of a small group there, and I really wasn't being used in your church. Thanks for all you did for our family."

There are a million other scenarios, that I'll spare you.

I really don't have a point, other than to say I know the frustration. Obviously its a different circumstance. Obviously, there aren't millions of dollars at stake, in my church. But I know the feeling of investing in people, only to have them drop you, when they get a better offer....or they don't get there way.....or they simply get bored.

It hurts.

This is 100% true and why so many pastors are leaving ministry. Being a pastor is both very rewarding and very difficult. The stress level is unbelievably high and it can be a very lonely job. Please support and pray for your pastors. We need it.

Chat friends,

The buzz about Dylan Raiola's possible switch to Nebraska got me thinking. I had a thought and wanted to get it out of my system. If religion/church isn't your thing, that's fine.
Here goes:

What many Georgia fans are very upset, because it looks like Raiola is going to back out of his commitment to us, and will play for Nebraska.
Over on the Vent, someone was discussing how exhausting this kind of thing must be for Kirby. He spends hours of time, and thousands of dollars, building relationships, only to have players walk away, as soon as they get better offer.

Over the past 25 years, I can't count the number of times this has happened to me.

"Hey pastor! I really appreciate you taking the time to take us through a discipleship program, and the membership class, that we asked for. And thank you for visiting us in our home, and being with me, during my heart surgery. I know we just joined 3 months ago. But my sister really wants us to go to church with them.....over at Mega Big Time Church. We really love your congregation, but Mega Big Time has so much more to offer and its only a 30 minute drive. Plus my sister says I can be in charge of a small group there, and I really wasn't being used in your church. Thanks for all you did for our family."

I really don't have a point, other than to say I know the frustration. Obviously its a different circumstance. Obviously, there aren't millions of dollars at stake, in my church. But I know the feeling of investing in people, only to have them drop you, when they get a better offer....or they don't get there way.....or they simply get bored.

It hurts.

In college football it’s just part of the profession…..would guess it’s the same as a minister. As a HC, you got to know this going in, in order to be successful….always be “crutin” to stay on top of your game.

Thinks Kirby is one of if not the best at this.

It’s the same in most all businesses imo (recruiting). I call it planned turnover. It will eat you alive if you don’t prepare for it.

If their heart is not there and you’ve done your job, it’s not a loss or a fit imo. All parties need to move on.

In the case with the QB, I would rather know now than later…. if all I read is the true, I certainly wouldn’t spend too much time or any time at all trying to save him.

One player doesn’t make a team, especially an unproven one.

Chat friends,

Here goes:

It hurts.
Thank you pastor for your thoughts. They certainly ring true. Do you think CKS' language is influencing some recruits and players considering the portal?

Thank you pastor for your thoughts. They certainly ring true. Do you think CKS' language is influencing some recruits and players considering the portal?

Composite recruit ranking of what is currently on the dawgs roster (85) is # 2 in the nation. I am guessing that is a 4 year recruiting average.

So far, for 2024, it is ranked #1.

Thinking that is a BIG no to your question.

Part of the trade, salty language has been happening on the football field since before time.

Last edited:
Chat friends,

Here goes:

It hurts.
Pastor if you don’t mind sharing what denomination your church is and what general part of the state you are located.

Looking for a new church.

This is 100% true and why so many pastors are leaving ministry. Being a pastor is both very rewarding and very difficult. The stress level is unbelievably high and it can be a very lonely job. Please support and pray for your pastors. We need it.

You know what is crazy? I've tried to put safeguards in place, to prevent people from joining our church and then suddenly leaving. We ask them to attend for a specified period of time. We ask them to go through a series of classes or meetings with me, to confirm their understanding of our doctrine and polity. After completing all of those things, we will take them in as members. Many times people go through all that...join....then leave within 6 months of joining.

• Sad
Reactions: FreedomDawg24
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT