ADVERTISEMENT

Maybe Trump Indictment not a Nothing Burger-from Erick Erickson

Reflections on the News

But Hillary” doesn’t cut it here. Trump chose not to pursue an investigation into her conduct. Trump chose not to indict her. If you want to say Hillary is a crook who should be in jail, Trump is the one you must ask — why didn’t his Justice Department and his FBI pursue an investigation? Why didn’t he appoint a special counsel?
No Republican is going to make that mistake again, though. Hunter Biden might want to start googling “countries without extradition treaties to the United States”.
I continue to believe the jury of 150 million Americans who will convene at ballot boxes around the country is the best jury for this. So many of you, left to right, have this sense the country is fraying at the seams. Letting the voters handle this matter is better.
However, given so many of you are still convinced the 2020 election was stolen, I guess maybe that would not work. Trump sold 2020’s “theft” so hard, the only way to convince you 2024 isn’t stolen is for him to win and the odds are not in his favor.
So, perhaps, letting a Trump appointed judge in Miami and a jury there solve this is the least problematic way. His appointees helm the 11th Circuit and he’s got three on the Supreme Court, plus Thomas and Alito. Maybe this really is the best path.
Now, take the crime out of this, if you can. Take it out. Presume there is no actual crime with the facts presented. Those facts still show the former president had a cavalier attitude to major state secrets. His home had been invaded by a communist Chinese spy not two years before he decided to pile up classified documents on a stage in a ballroom and around a toilet in a bathroom.
The discovery of those state secrets could literally get your kid killed if your kid is in the military in an undisclosed location. Trump loved the military so much he risked getting a lot of them killed. Same with our spies. That incompetence coupled with arrogance should be disqualifying to another term.
Now, add the crime back into it. His own lawyer ratted him out because, as you know, he chooses the best people. Like Christopher Wray. And Anthony Fauci.
Trump has had a target on his back since he rode the escalator in 2015. He beat Hillary Clinton and lived to tell the tale. They impeached him twice. They’ve been trying to find some reason to get him and he made it so, so easy. He kept the documents, he knew they wanted them, and they have wanted him too. He gave himself up by keeping the documents. It’s all so, so stupid.
Many of you think the United States is one more election away from ending. You think Christians are on the verge of arrest and kids are on the verge of forced re-education camps to become transgender. How you think Trump is the guy to see you through this and win is beyond me. He either lost to Biden once or could not stop the steal. He could not stop this indictment. He cannot stop the deep state. And he’s the horse you want to ride to victory? Better odds he ends in the glue factory.
If you really think this nation is at some existential breaking point, the man stupid enough to ask his lawyer to hide documents from the FBI who couldn’t stop the steal or the deep state or what is now happening is your weakest link to a better, safer tomorrow.
And some of you may prefer to sink with the ship. I’d prefer we fight. But Trump can’t fight. He’s shackled to two indictments with two more coming. That’s the reality. Say what you will, but if you look at this at a partisan level, the Democrats have boxed him in and crippled his ability to campaign. Your choice to stay in the box or find a more viable candidate whose campaign war chest won’t have to go to lawyers.
Lastly, I want to reiterate my opening point. You can say “but Biden” or “but Hillary” or “but X person,” but none of them have gotten themselves ensnared by a federal prosecutor and ratted out by their lawyer for trying to hide documents from the FBI. That’s a unique bit of Trump level stupidity and arrogance.
And Trump himself is the one who chose not to lock her up. So if she’s that guilty, that’s yet another time Trump himself screwed himself.

I’ve read the indictment, and I’m just smacking my head with how stupid this all is — not the indictment, but Trump’s antics as alleged in the indictment. This was all so avoidable.
Let me give you the highlights.
First, we’re not discussing love letters with the North Korean dictator. According to the indictment, after leaving the White House, President Trump kept plans for invasions of other countries, locations of American spies around the world, classified locations of soldiers, military vulnerabilities of the United States and its allies, classified assessments of nuclear capabilities of various nations, etc. That’s not small ball stuff.
Second, on an audio recording, Trump showed classified documents to people without a security clearance and — and this is the kicker— admitted the documents were still classified because he had not declassified them before leaving the White House.
This is important because some claim Trump, by taking the documents, automatically declassified them. But this audio recording shows that, in Trump’s mind, he did not believe that to be the case and knew the documents were still classified.

But this is the really bad stuff, beyond what he had.​

According to the indictment, the National Archives demanded Trump hand over documents. Trump sent them 197 documents. Six months later, a federal grand jury demanded Trump hand over every other classified document he had. Trump sent the grand jury 38 more documents. When the FBI raided Mar-a-Lago, they found another 102 classified documents. In other words, Trump withheld classified documents from the federal grand jury.
More damning, the indictment alleges Trump ordered his valet to move classified documents to Trump’s residence so that Trump’s own lawyers could not find them. And then Trump’s own lawyer says Trump asked him to hide documents from the FBI.
Trump’s own lawyer admits that!
The indictment also alleges, with photographic evidence, that Trump stored documents on a stage in the ballroom at Mar-a-Lago and that some boxes fell over revealing highly classified information.
Keep in mind that a Chinese spy tried to steal intelligence from Mar-a-Lago in 2019.
All he had to do was hand over all the documents. But he lacked impulse control. It is all so, so stupid. We can “but Hillary” and “but Biden” all we want, but none of them were caught on audio tape admitting to showing people classified documents, and, to our knowledge, none of them ordered a valet to hide documents from their own lawyer, let alone asked their lawyer to hide documents from the FBI.
At the very least, all of this should lead you to conclude Trump just isn’t responsible enough to be president again. But if it holds up in court, it could lead a jury to conclude he needs jail time.
He may be correct or incorrect. EE is anti-Trump. It’s sad but that’s the way I view everything now. My initial reaction to any column on any subject is skepticism, whether the column is pro or con. Our media is either state run, unashamedly biased or both.

He may be correct or incorrect. EE is anti-Trump. It’s sad but that’s the way I view everything now. My initial reaction to any column on any subject is skepticism, whether the column is pro or con. Our media is either state run, unashamedly biased or both.
Trump is against trump too..... trump said so himself.
Trump knows it's cult worship. He was 100% correct when he said he could shoot someone in broad daylight in Times Square and his followers would not care.
About the only truth he has ever spoken.

Reactions: shonuff253
I could care less what Erick Erickson has to say. Biggest rhino supporter on the radio.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT