ADVERTISEMENT

[Political] Who didn't see this coming?........

I honestly have no problem with State/local govt setting minimum wages.

I am however against it on a Federal level.

This country is extremely diverse with huge differences in wage values/costs of living.

$50k per year isn't the same in NYC, SF, Seattle, etc as it is in Macon, Birmingham, & Baton Rouge.

Let them test it out on local levels and we'll see how the long term works.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Once again, the near sighted attempt by liberals to bring the working class with limited skill set into a forced salary increase that the market can not bear. The liberals idea of evening wages are to bring everyone down to the level of poverty. The conservative view is to bring the lower class up into a higher wage earning class by hard work and free market competition, no government meddling. We have seen time and time again how the government screws up when they force the issues. This is just another classic example.

I honestly have no problem with State/local govt setting minimum wages.

I am however against it on a Federal level.

This country is extremely diverse with huge differences in wage values/costs of living.

$50k per year isn't the same in NYC, SF, Seattle, etc as it is in Macon, Birmingham, & Baton Rouge.

Let them test it out on local levels and we'll see how the long term works.

I'm for a federal minimum wage, it is one of my chief issues with today's republican party.
I don't care where you live in this country it takes a certain ''minimum'' to live independently. I think anybody willing to do the mostly undesirable work most low wage earners can find should be paid at least 10.00 an hour. Anything below that is impossible be meet basic needs with. The only big difference in BASIC cost from place to place is shelter, that is where The Bay area is so expensive. Of course restaurants and other nonessentials vary, but I'm ONLY looking at basic needs.

I'm for a federal minimum wage, it is one of my chief issues with today's republican party.
I don't care where you live in this country it takes a certain ''minimum'' to live independently. I think anybody willing to do the mostly undesirable work most low wage earners can find should be paid at least 10.00 an hour. Anything below that is impossible be meet basic needs with. The only big difference in BASIC cost from place to place is shelter, that is where The Bay area is so expensive. Of course restaurants and other nonessentials vary, but I'm ONLY looking at basic needs.
If these people only have the skillset to earn $10/hour, they should either be working hard to learn more or better skills to get out of that situation. If they are content to stay where they are we should not not be forced to subsidize their lack of drive or willingness to suck off the government tit. I started off in construction as a middle school/high school student in the summers and learned that I did not want to do that everyday. I chose a career in Landscape Architecture and followed the path to make that happen. I never once ask or expected my fellow citizens to pay for my groceries,power,fuel,etc. That is all on me, to many in today's society expect someone else to fix their mistakes or shortcomings due to poor decisions or apathy. If you want something in life, you must earn it! Period!

Reactions: NamWalter

Well then, you don't have a basic understanding of economics. The minimum wage is not meant as a living wage, in fact very, very few people work these jobs work them to support families. Second the government has no business telling anyone who uses their money to start a business how much the labor is worth.

If you think it should be $10 per hour,...why not $100 per? Take a look at Seattle , how'd it work out for them? A JOB gives the employee an opportunity to learn a skill and move up the jobs ladder. We don't all get a trophy in life.

The problem is you don't understand the minimum wage. The minimum wage has never been intended to provide a living wage, so that an individual and/or his or her family can live independently and have all their needs met. The minimum wage is a bottom-basement, entry level wage into the job market for people who have minimal, if any, skills and/or work experience. For this reason, these jobs are invariably filled by teenagers/young people in their very first job in life, usually 16-18 years of age, who are trying to make some money, gain some valuable job experience and acquire job skills that will make them more marketable and thus earn more money either in their current job or a future job. In other words, this is a person still living at home and dependent on his or her parents, as he or she should be as a minor, and usually within 6 months, if the person works hard and learns from the experience, he or she will get a raise making more than the minimum wage and will never worry about being reduced to a minimum wage in future employment because the person has marketable job skills, invaluable work experience and positive work references.

If a person is making minimum wage in their 20s and 30s and beyond and must depend upon this type of employment to support him or herself and/or a family, then the individual has invariably made some very poor choices in life, including but not limited to failing to make the most of educational opportunities in school, having a poor or non-existent work history, failing to develop demonstrable, marketable job skills, and getting married and/or having children at a very young age so as to interrupt or preclude education, work or the acquisition of job skills that lead to employment that produces a living wage and resulting independence.

Everyone should want an economy with a relatively low (if any) minimum wage to encourage businesses to give jobs to young people without skills and work experience, so that these people can then catapult themselves into higher paying jobs throughout their lifetime. Raising the minimum wage distorts the labor market and indiscriminately hurts the very people who need a job and resulting work experience and skills to move forever beyond minimum wage (dependent) employment, but in the government's infinite "wisdom," the effect of raising the minimum wage will foster more dependency and keep many adults tied to minimum wage work (if they are even able to keep their jobs at all due to an increase in the minimum wage that the market cannot bear) throughout their lives without dealing with the underlying causes that stem from poor life choices. Accordingly, an unwarranted increase in the minimum wage fosters growing dependency for this class of people without materially improving their lot in life, is likely to cause many to lose their jobs altogether, and will be particularly insidious by keeping many young people from getting their first job, along with valuable work experience, in their teens when they are not expected to support themselves.

Anytime the government interferes with or distorts the economy or the markets (here, labor market), there are unintended consequences, and raising the minimum wage has many negative, if unintended, consequences, as outlined above. Since the minimum wage was never intended to be a living wage in which to support independent living by a person or a family, it should not be raised now under the guise of providing a living wage. Instead, deal with the causes of minimum wage employment for adults without keeping our young people from acquiring jobs in the first instance and thus impeding their future because of the poor choices of other people.

If these people only have the skillset to earn $10/hour, they should either be working hard to learn more or better skills to get out of that situation. If they are content to stay where they are we should not not be forced to subsidize their lack of drive or willingness to suck off the government tit. I started off in construction as a middle school/high school student in the summers and learned that I did not want to do that everyday. I chose a career in Landscape Architecture and followed the path to make that happen. I never once ask or expected my fellow citizens to pay for my groceries,power,fuel,etc. That is all on me, to many in today's society expect someone else to fix their mistakes or shortcomings due to poor decisions or apathy. If you want something in life, you must earn it! Period!

Yeah BUT you grew up benefiting from 'white privilege' :)

Yeah BUT you grew up benefiting from 'white privilege' :)
I grew up benefiting from a farming family that taught me the value of a strong work ethic. Farmers are not usually considered to be rich, but I did not feel like I was missing anything. I certainly did not covet other people's possessions. My father taught me that NO ONE in this life owes you a damn thing, if you want something you must Earn it. That also includes respect, it must be earned and nurtured as you get out in the real world away from home and as an adult. The only privilege I had was that I had a loving family that gave a damn how I grew and matured in life.

The problem is you don't understand the minimum wage. The minimum wage has never been intended to provide a living wage, so that an individual and/or his or her family can live independently and have all their needs met. The minimum wage is a bottom-basement, entry level wage into the job market for people who have minimal, if any, skills and/or work experience. For this reason, these jobs are invariably filled by teenagers/young people in their very first job in life, usually 16-18 years of age, who are trying to make some money, gain some valuable job experience and acquire job skills that will make them more marketable and thus earn more money either in their current job or a future job. In other words, this is a person still living at home and dependent on his or her parents, as he or she should be as a minor, and usually within 6 months, if the person works hard and learns from the experience, he or she will get a raise making more than the minimum wage and will never worry about being reduced to a minimum wage in future employment because the person has marketable job skills, invaluable work experience and positive work references.

If a person is making minimum wage in their 20s and 30s and beyond and must depend upon this type of employment to support him or herself and/or a family, then the individual has invariably made some very poor choices in life, including but not limited to failing to make the most of educational opportunities in school, having a poor or non-existent work history, failing to develop demonstrable, marketable job skills, and getting married and/or having children at a very young age so as to interrupt or preclude education, work or the acquisition of job skills that lead to employment that produces a living wage and resulting independence.

Everyone should want an economy with a relatively low (if any) minimum wage to encourage businesses to give jobs to young people without skills and work experience, so that these people can then catapult themselves into higher paying jobs throughout their lifetime. Raising the minimum wage distorts the labor market and indiscriminately hurts the very people who need a job and resulting work experience and skills to move forever beyond minimum wage (dependent) employment, but in the government's infinite "wisdom," the effect of raising the minimum wage will foster more dependency and keep many adults tied to minimum wage work (if they are even able to keep their jobs at all due to an increase in the minimum wage that the market cannot bear) throughout their lives without dealing with the underlying causes that stem from poor life choices. Accordingly, an unwarranted increase in the minimum wage fosters growing dependency for this class of people without materially improving their lot in life, is likely to cause many to lose their jobs altogether, and will be particularly insidious by keeping many young people from getting their first job, along with valuable work experience, in their teens when they are not expected to support themselves.

Anytime the government interferes with or distorts the economy or the markets (here, labor market), there are unintended consequences, and raising the minimum wage has many negative, if unintended, consequences, as outlined above. Since the minimum wage was never intended to be a living wage in which to support independent living by a person or a family, it should not be raised now under the guise of providing a living wage. Instead, deal with the causes of minimum wage employment for adults without keeping our young people from acquiring jobs in the first instance and thus impeding their future because of the poor choices of other people.
Well stated sir! Agree 100%

I grew up benefiting from a farming family that taught me the value of a strong work ethic. Farmers are not usually considered to be rich, but I did not feel like I was missing anything. I certainly did not covet other people's possessions. My father taught me that NO ONE in this life owes you a damn thing, if you want something you must Earn it. That also includes respect, it must be earned and nurtured as you get out in the real world away from home and as an adult. The only privilege I had was that I had a loving family that gave a damn how I grew and matured in life.

Exactly, that's white privilege, you didn't know that??? :)

I consider your thinking as morally bankrupt on this issue, no insult intended.
As I stated, this is the issue that clearly separates me from many republicans and their national platform, it's ugly stuff.
Many people simply are not cut out to master much in the way of advanced skills. That is a piss poor reason for a decent society to hold their pay below a minimum standard though. That is if they're willing to work.
It's also just plain good for the broader society that it's citizens receive enough return from their work to be motivated.

Last edited:

I understand very clearly. I just think your position is amoral and shows poor judgment.

Well then, you don't have a basic understanding of economics. The minimum wage is not meant as a living wage, in fact very, very few people work these jobs work them to support families. Second the government has no business telling anyone who uses their money to start a business how much the labor is worth.

If you think it should be $10 per hour,...why not $100 per? Take a look at Seattle , how'd it work out for them? A JOB gives the employee an opportunity to learn a skill and move up the jobs ladder. We don't all get a trophy in life.

I expect I have a better understanding of most things worth knowing than you do. I certainly understand the intertwining of a healthy society and a living wage better than you.

Farmers on the whole are some of the biggest welfare recipients.
I don't see them harping on how they freeload off taxpayers.
The only time I've been around farmers much was in Western Colorado. They had more schemes than the average bus station hustler. Everything from planting whatever WE THE PEOPLE were paying them to that season, only to let it rot in the field, to running businesses from ''farms'' to avoid taxes.

Farmers on the whole are some of the biggest welfare recipients.
I don't see them harping on how they freeload off taxpayers.
The only time I've been around farmers much was in Western Colorado. They had more schemes than the average bus station hustler. Everything from planting whatever WE THE PEOPLE were paying them to that season, only to let it rot in the field, to running businesses from ''farms'' to avoid taxes.
I do not believe in subsidies of any kind.My family never took a handout or subsidy and earned every penny they made by the sweat of their brow. That is why I am so adamant about no welfare of any kind. I do not agree with any freeloaders period. I do not mind helping someone in need who is trying to help themselves, but does not demand that I or anyone else owes them. THe real profitable farmers are the ones who did take subsidies and bought up other farmers allotments. Government welfare of any kind is poison to the human spirit and virtue of hard work.

I understand very clearly. I just think your position is amoral and shows poor judgment.
Dawgmatic you are clearly not learned in the way the economy works.
Perhaps a lesson on simple economics will help in your elementary understanding of how commerce works. I suggest a textbook or book from your local library on the subject. Upon completion of reading why don't you message back with your newfound understanding?

As I stated, this is the issue that clearly separates me from many republicans and their national platform, it's ugly stuff.
Many people simply are not cut out to master much in the way of advanced skills. That is a piss poor reason for a decent society to hold their pay below a minimum standard though. That is if they're willing to work.
It's also just plain good for the broader society that it's citizens receive enough return from their work to be motivated.

Pay is decided based on what the employer is willing to pay. Its not some arbitrary standard made up out of whole cloth. You get paid according to your worth to the payee. Why would you advocate paying ppl mor ethan their worth, what happens to incentive? As to broader society, since when has anyone ever been motivated to work when there's no incentive, and when you know what you're getting regardless of skill or work ethic......well it never works out.

Reactions: 1966septemberdawg
Last edited:

All you gave me are your feelings and judgment based on naked or blanket assertions totally bereft of facts, logic and the most basic understanding of economics. In other words, sheer ignorance and even a lack of intellectual curiosity and tolerance to learn. My position is based on how the market operates, which has nothing to do with morality. You'd rather render many people unemployed in order to ensure some are paid much more than they are worth (the value they render to employers), and in the process, you will keep many teenagers, who should be developing a strong work ethic as early as possible, from obtaining critical work experience and job skills because employers simply cannot afford to pay an artificial, inflated wage rate which bears no relation to the labor market. In fact, your idea will make it likely that many of these entry-level, minimum wage jobs which are traditionally used to provide teenagers with valuable work experience will be replaced by automation that, in the long run, will be cheaper than human labor at a grossly inflated minimum wage that was never intended to be sufficient to provide human independence.

Dawgmatic you are clearly not learned in the way the economy works.
Perhaps a lesson on simple economics will help in your elementary understanding of how commerce works. I suggest a textbook or book from your local library on the subject. Upon completion of reading why don't you message back with your newfound understanding?

I am quite learned in the ways of the economy thank you.
Study after study has made it clear there is virtually zero negative impact on the economy when the minimum wage is increased.
You're the one who has bought into a myth, an amoral myth at that.
The world you populate doesn't exist beyond an ideology and loathing.

All you gave me are your feelings and judgment based on naked or blanket assertions totally bereft of facts, logic and the most basic understanding of economics. In other words, sheer ignorance and even a lack of intellectual curiosity and tolerance to learn. My position is based on how the market operates, which has nothing to do with morality. You'd rather render many people unemployed in order to ensure some are paid much more than they are worth (the value they render to employers), and in the process, you will keep many teenagers, who should be developing a strong work ethic as early as possible, from obtaining critical work experience and job skills because employers simply cannot afford to pay an artificial, inflated wage rate which bears no relation to the labor market. In fact, your idea will make it likely that many of these entry-level, minimum wage jobs which are traditionally used to provide teenagers with valuable work experience will be replaced by automation that, in the long run, will be cheaper than human labor at a grossly inflated minimum wage that was never intended to be sufficient to provide human independence.

Here is a FACT, you have both the facts and the assertions wrong. To summarize, you are in the wrong on both fact and moral judgment.

Study after study has made it clear there is virtually zero negative impact on the economy when the minimum wage is increased.
Since you missed in the first time...or more than likely ignored it...here ya go again

http://beta.townhall.com/tipsheet/j...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

http://dailysignal.com/2015/10/22/s...r-heres-what-happened-to-seattles-job-market/

http://www.valuesandcapitalism.com/what-actually-happens-when-you-raise-the-minimum-wage/

Reactions: DaddyDawg
It is quite clear that you are living in a world of rainbows and everything is powered by unicorn farts in your little utopia. Studies show quite the opposite when the minimum wage is irresponsibly raised to make the feel good liberals feel better about themselves. Look at Berkely they are having to fire or layoff janitors and other staff in that capacity, because (Follow this thought) they can not afford to [pay the increased wages and the professors as well. Look at Seattle after they raised the minimum wage for servers and waiters, restaurants had to close and everybody lost because they could not afford to pay the increased salaries. You just choose to ignore the facts as usual. Just because you want it to be that way doesn't make it truth. This is not a moral issue einstein, it is about economics and people who should be past the point of jobs that pay minimum wage. It is not my fault or yours that they do not have the desire to do better than that.
If you want to help, vote for anybody but hillary or bernie in November. Get that book on simple economics a read it! Then come back and talk to the adults about what you have learned.

I'm against any govt entity setting a wage. When you artificially raise wages for political purposes, the correction comes in other areas, i.e. Companies can't maintain the current staffing levels or price points. Having a set wage is good for politicians come election time but it sucks the money out of business. What happened to letting the market determine wages?

Here is a FACT, you have both the facts and the assertions wrong. To summarize, you are in the wrong on both fact and moral judgment.

Is that all you've got? Really? SO weak!! Obviously you are just another liberal lickspittle who is unable to articulate a logical, knowledgeable position, so your only response is to apply one word labels to people in a disingenuous, thinly-veiled attempt to shut down intelligent debate and discussion by others. For example, someone is amoral/immoral, radical, extreme, crazy, misogynist/misanthropist/misandrist, mean, stupid, sexist, racist, homophobic, evil, etc. You have been exposed for your utter lack of knowledge and the reprehensibility of your methods. Have you no shame? Have you not disgraced yourself enough?

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

Mark Twain

Last edited:
Is that all you've got? Really? SO weak!! Obviously you are just another liberal lickspittle who is unable to articulate a logical, knowledgeable position, so your only response is to apply one word labels to people in a disingenuous, thinly-veiled attempt to shut down intelligent debate and discussion by others. For example, someone is amoral/immoral, radical, extreme, crazy, misogynist/misanthropist/misandrist, mean, stupid, sexist, racist, homophobic, evil, etc. You have been exposed for your utter lack of knowledge and the reprehensibility of your methods. Have you no shame? Have you not disgraced yourself enough?

"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."

Mark Twain

I saw it, only low wattage thinkers believe they can look at samples to understand the U.S economy and how it works. Jobs are cut here, they are added there. Statistics have consistently shown raising the minimum wage doesn't hurt the economy or result in net job loss.
What it does do is allow those at the lowest end of the wage scale to earn enough to get by and have the essentials without government assistance.
The Bay area is an extreme in that the cost of housing is outrageous. If you have the capacity, check back in a couple of years to get some REAL idea of the affects of the living wage in that area.
Then there is this. I think we should strive to be a nation that rewards anybody willing to work with a livable wage. I'm not real fond of the flawed notion that unfettered capitalism works best. The idea that there is some magic formula that will balance out without checks and balances is as silly as the idea people will achieve their best without capitalist incentives, both extremes are childish and simple minded.

Last edited:
It is quite clear that you are living in a world of rainbows and everything is powered by unicorn farts in your little utopia. Studies show quite the opposite when the minimum wage is irresponsibly raised to make the feel good liberals feel better about themselves. Look at Berkely they are having to fire or layoff janitors and other staff in that capacity, because (Follow this thought) they can not afford to [pay the increased wages and the professors as well. Look at Seattle after they raised the minimum wage for servers and waiters, restaurants had to close and everybody lost because they could not afford to pay the increased salaries. You just choose to ignore the facts as usual. Just because you want it to be that way doesn't make it truth. This is not a moral issue einstein, it is about economics and people who should be past the point of jobs that pay minimum wage. It is not my fault or yours that they do not have the desire to do better than that.
If you want to help, vote for anybody but hillary or bernie in November. Get that book on simple economics a read it! Then come back and talk to the adults about what you have learned.

It's clear to me you live in a false reality, just as false as your polar opposites on the far left.
Neither side has the nuanced thinking it takes to see the balance of interest needed for a strong AND decent society.

It's clear to me you live in a false reality, just as false as your polar opposites on the far left.
Neither side has the nuanced thinking it takes to see the balance of interest needed for a strong AND decent society.
You mean the left side has no understanding or care to correct their mistakes as they force them on a sagging economy by their design. You are not informed enough to debate this topic, so come back when you have real facts and can formulate an argument. A decent society does not expect others to pay for their living and mistakes due to bad choices.

Reactions: NamWalter
You mean the left side has no understanding or care to correct their mistakes as they force them on a sagging economy by their design. You are not informed enough to debate this topic, so come back when you have real facts and can formulate an argument. A decent society does not expect others to pay for their living and mistakes due to bad choices.
A decent society always teaches personal responsibility, and accountability. Principles that are lost with a vast majority of the left...

You're worse than uninformed, but I'll hold back a bit. Suffice it to say the far right, which you are so obviously a member is about as American as a banana republican.
That is a fitting moniker for you guys.
Banana Republicans it is.

A decent society always teaches personal responsibility, and accountability. Principles that are lost with a vast majority of the left...

No reasonable person would call somebody irresponsible or unaccountable for being for a decent minimum wage. You people are duped.

"morally bankrupt" from you??? That's a laugh!!! You're a member of the complete Morally Bankrupt party dude!!! Heck, you guys are all for the murder of babies!!! Does it get more "morally bankrupt" than that?

If you don't like what your job pays....get a better job!!! Mcdonald's jobs were NEVER intended to be your career. It's not an employers responsibility to pay you a wage that is going to give you a decent living. It's YOUR personal responsibility to make your way! THIS is the fundamental downfall of you libs...you think everyone OWES you something. Work three jobs!!! That's what people over the years have had to do to make it. Heck, maybe you missed the part where NO ONE is forcing anyone to work at McDonalds?? Or, is it the neck tattoo and 12 babies that's holding you back?

Preach!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT