ADVERTISEMENT

This brit summed up why a large portion of Trump voters

The money behind Brexit cynically mined the same populist sentiment in the UK, convincing people that it was a fight for the little guy. Of course, it was never a fight for the common man and now that the reality of leaving the EU has set in, Brexit is deeply unpopular. In fact, it has played a huge role in the inflation issues the UK is dealing with.

Unsurprisingly. the guy with the gold toilets doesn’t care one iota about the common man. In fact, his contempt is very well established. He simply sees populism as the path to power and his second term populist policies (for example, his proposed 10% tariff on all imported goods) would absolutely spike inflation and hurt these disaffected middle Americans who believe he is their champion.
You may or may not be wrong, but you are missing his entire point. Brexit and Trump were the only "blunt instruments" available to the working masses to respond to the ridiculous overreach of the elites in power. And make no mistake, the overreach has reached massive proportions.

People are sick of it, and the only blunt instrument available to them will be back in play come November.

I know the GOP likes to pretend that 2020 wasn’t the last year of the Trump presidency, but it was.

And, the disruption of the global economic system was literally an economic black swan event that occurred after thirty years of optimizing the global supply chain for maximum efficiency, which unfortunately led to minimal resiliency when everything came to a screeching halt.

You have to compare the US to the rest of the developed world, and by that comparison we are doing fantastically well.

The US is currently producing more energy than any country in history, and, based on record profits, the industry has never been healthier. I don’t think energy policy is currently a huge issue for us.
First of all the global economy is largely a function of American fiscal and monetary policy. In other words, to the extent we have to increase rates 5x, the impact on the dollar and central banks of other countries follows - we are a large part of the cause of world inflation, and our response is a large part of the impacts it has had on the world economy.

You aren't wrong about the black swan event and that you can't hang it all on Biden. The problem is that all of his policy has been by economic definition more inflationary. Limiting product and labor supply by promoting continued shutdowns of blue states into 2021. Executive orders limiting oil production. Rampid government spending after the pandemic was clearly over and the economy had recovered. That is on Biden, black swan or not.

The "we produced more oil than in 2019" argument is so ridiculous. That's like taking credit for population growth. By definition you have to produce more to keep up with demand and population growth. The question is how much more? His policies have fallen well short. And anyone with a brain knows that had Trump been re-elected, the supply of American production would far exceed what we have now, and prices would be lower. Unfortunately Biden has to kneel to his left and villainize the oil industry. Won't even sit down with a CEO. Implements totally unrealistic EV mandates. You honestly think that helps or hurts oil pricing?

Reactions: ugafish
Check out industry profits the last three years. There might actually be some correlation between that and gas prices.
oil companies do not set oil prices. Are you suggesting that they should just choose to charge less than what the global market demands? You think their shareholders would be on board with that? Would you sell your house for less than market?

Comparing the economic performance of Trump and Biden while ignoring the entirely unique and catastrophic year plus long global economic disruption is not just nonsense, it’s so obviously nonsense that anyone doing it either incapable of comparative analysis or disingenuously promoting an obviously biased argument.

I didn’t say everything was fantastic. I said that we are producing more energy than any other country in history, which is true, and that compared to the other developed economies we are doing quite well, which is also true.

The president impacts but certainly doesn’t control the economy. Do you think Biden sets gas prices? The average gas price in the US in 2019 was $2.60, and it’s now $3.60. A huge volume of domestic refinery capacity was lost during the pandemic and the war in Ukraine has also been a factor on global prices. Given those macro impacts, $3.60 does not look that bad and again, if you are pissed about pricing, maybe look to the companies making all time high profits as contributors to the problem.

Regardless, Trump took office with economic tailwinds and Biden took office during an unprecedented global shutdown. It’s two entirely different situations.

To the degree that Trump is bothering to talk about policy, two of the most consistent policies that he’s been promoting are a 10% tariff on all imports and rounding up and deporting 10m illegals. How do you think that is going to impact inflation and the economy? Agriculture? Construction? Both policies would be disastrous.
I would focus on abortion. Simply no way to win the economic argument when supporting Joe Biden. There is a reason polling is what it is on the economy.

You may or may not be wrong, but you are missing his entire point. Brexit and Trump were the only "blunt instruments" available to the working masses to respond to the ridiculous overreach of the elites in power. And make no mistake, the overreach has reached massive proportions.

People are sick of it, and the only blunt instrument available to them will be back in play come November.
I know you won't be surprised, but I have an alternate view of the dynamic you reference.

The rightwing media has taken some legitimate issues that people have with our government and cynically fanned the flames relentlessly to promote an agenda that isn't about helping the very people they are manipulating.

Look at what the Fox hosts were ALL saying behind the scenes about voter fraud versus what they were saying on air. It's reasonable to believe that the same manipulation is happening on a whole host of topics.

And I'm not saying the left-wing media isn't full of its share of BS, because it is. But I don't think you see the kind of behavior that was documented by those Fox texts and emails. It was so bad that Fox decided to settle for $790m instead of going through the embarrassment of a trial, which means it was damn bad.

This is exactly what happened with Brexit, where voters were told lie after lie, the campaign played on the worst inclinations of the populace, and the result has been bad for the majority of voters.

Populist movements, both here and abroad, have a history of ending poorly for the people who are aggrieved by the current system, and I think that would hold true in the case of Trump.

As much as I enjoy these debates, I'm taking the family to New Orleans Wednesday and have to get a week's worth of work done in three days, so don't take is personally if I'm signed off.

Shame on Trump if he helped pushed this funding bill through. I say this as someone who will vote for him but he f-d this one up

Analysis of Trump’s past protectionist trade policies detail the negative impacts, and he has pledged to be even more agressive in a second term.

Take your own advice. Don't seek "a very simple view of a very complex dynamic." Look for the source material - the devil in the details. This is where we agree in theory, but not so much on execution.

CNBC, MSNBC are left wing shills.
Axios is a left wing shill.
ChatGPT is hard coded to support left wing views.
Finding one generalized sentence in the Trump platform and generalizing further does not give you the right answer.

Going back to my original point, don't rely on just the criticisms, which are often not only lopsided but also ill-informed or outright disingenuous. Read past the headline. Take a critical view of those who tell you what you want to hear.

Read Brendan O'Neill's point again and tell me, is the Establishment position really what you want to defend? If so, why?

The Establishment poses as the adults in the room, but actually they're insane. They have insane views on biology, on borders, on National Security, on climate on everything else and and on the economy. [Ordinary people are] looking at all this and saying the voice of reason has to come back in. They see themselves as the voice of reason, and I think they're right to see themselves as the voice of reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: deadduckdawg
Fock Lindsay Graham. I want to hear it from Trump. But if true I will be extremely disappoint.

I believe he has proposed a 10% tariff on all imports, unless he has changed his position.

My personal view is that much of the culture war is contrived and a response to positions that aren’t actual positions. The majority of Dems, including Dem leadership, do not believe that men can menstruate or have babies. They generally don’t believe in late term abortions unless it involves a threatening medical situation (the post birth abortions that some of the GOP likes to reference is literally a ridiculous scare tactic). Very few Dems believe that a fully open border, which is not Dem policy or what we currently have, is a good thing for the country. In fact, we just passed a defense aid package for Ukraine and Israel that should have included funding for the border, but Trump and team killed that one.

There are some cultural differences in this country, but they aren’t as pronounced as some would have us believe. Where they are real, they tend to involve people who would have the Bible be the sole determinant of our legal structure, and I’ll not apologize for fighting those efforts.
The left has always been about culture wars, but they ran out of legitimate ones, so they have invented new ones to fight like "opening the border up" (Biden made policy changes to the border policy) and transing young people, and have put the racism one back in the oven. The left is ALL about DEI / CRT ideas.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT