ADVERTISEMENT

What Is Happening In Athens?

Athens might be the wokest mid sized city in America and we have the battle scars to prove it. I hope the heat gets turned up on the elected officials that wreaked hell on the city, but I don’t know if anything will change.
Would be interesting to see some bank accounts.

The Athens sub-reddit is far left and disgusting. They're blaming the GOP for causing all of these problems "intentionally"

3 teenagers killed a 3 year old boy in a gang-related shooting. Sounds more like Chicago.

The mayor and the DA need to step up and take control. Quit worrying about profiling and concentrate on results,
Violent crime has actually been down in Athens - 2023 had significantly less Murders, Rapes, Armed Robberies, etc. Violent crime is down most places, very noticeably in Atlanta and other big cities.

When you take note of headlines and use anecdotal evidence as opposed to analytical its easy to imagine “crime waves” that simply arent there. Its similar to Tommy Tuberville suggesting New Yorkers live in fear when murder rates are higher in the State he represents (Ala) and the state in which he lives (Fla) than NYC.

Also similar to people who get duped when sold a “migrant crime wave” narrative. Almost as dumb as believing illegals vote.

Reactions: LanceMcCurley
Violent crime has actually been down in Athens - 2023 had significantly less Murders, Rapes, Armed Robberies, etc. Violent crime is down most places, very noticeably in Atlanta and other big cities.

When you take note of headlines and use anecdotal evidence as opposed to analytical its easy to imagine “crime waves” that simply arent there. Its similar to Tommy Tuberville suggesting New Yorkers live in fear when murder rates are higher in the State he represents (Ala) and the state in which he lives (Fla) than NYC.

Also similar to people who get duped when sold a “migrant crime wave” narrative. Almost as dumb as believing illegals vote.
Nobody believes that. That’s in fact a ridiculous thing to say.

Reactions: deadduckdawg

This is always a good one..of course crime is going to be down with liberal POS Soros backed DA’s…when prosecution numbers are down in larger percentages, the crime rates are going to be down.

Also, Violent crime is down from what? 2020-2021-2022? When it saw drastic increases from Trump yrs. It’s all in the way you word it.

Last edited:

Cities have a history of covering up crime and choosing the lesser charge to keep crime stats lower. Don't believe anything coming from the mayor or chief of police office.

1) illegals rarely attempt to vote, but it’s not like it’s never happened. But I agree that’s a red herring and exceedingly rare.

2) however, after illegals break into our country, all their anchor baby kids are lawfully eligible to vote. So while they themselves don’t vote and sway elections, their breaking into the country does and has swayed elections over time.

3) additionally, illegal aliens, and their children, get counted for the census which determines how many house of representative members a state gets. So it does very literally affect our Congress.

Last edited:
No, according to crime statistics. And for reference, I am not a fan of Girtz. Never been. Just posting facts.
That’s where I’m at.

Just delicately wading into political debates pointing out facts. Both the left and the right seem to have a loose grip on reality.

People are free to interpret the facts the way they want, but the facts must be agreed upon.

Reactions: LanceMcCurley
It’s true. And even years before that, crime has gone down.
Crime is not down. Prosecuting crime or chasing criminals is down. You can rob stores at will these days. 14 straight murder trials lost in Athens or something like that. If you suck that bad at chasing criminals crime will go down according to the numbers. It is like believing there is water in the desert. Sometimes you have to look past the numbers to see what is going on. Every jobs report changes after further examination. Numbers can be manipulated.

Just look at the illegal who killed the girl and his brother. Arrested like 15 times between them in two years. No jail time seen. How is that.

It is kind of like the reports telling you that anything under 950 dollars can be stolen in Cali without penalty. They say it isn’t true. Then you see videos everywhere of people walking out with things not prosecuted.

1 in 162 have a chance of being a victim of a violent crime in Athens. 1 in 272 for the rest of the state. Yes that includes Atlanta.

Last edited:

I will say this for the folks posting other numbers in the thread. I see a few Google spots not reporting the same number s

https://nowhabersham.com/crime-rate-down-in-athens-clarke-county/.

Here is one article stating it is down. Again protection has been so bad, people are begging, even signing petitions to somehow remove the current da. Who is not being allowed to prosecute the high profile murder.

Ironically, the state of the economy and country may be contributing here. Drunk driving is up 10 percent. Public drunkenness up 112 percent and liquor law incidents 200 percent. Trying to drink the depression or problems away I gues.

Last edited:
Crime is not down. Prosecuting crime or chasing criminals is down. You can rob stores at will these days. 14 straight murder trials lost in Athens or something like that. If you suck that bad at chasing criminals crime will go down according to the numbers. It is like believing there is water in the desert. Sometimes you have to look past the numbers to see what is going on. Every jobs report changes after further examination. Numbers can be manipulated.

Just look at the illegal who killed the girl and his brother. Arrested like 15 times between them in two years. No jail time seen. How is that.

It is kind of like the reports telling you that anything under 950 dollars can be stolen in Cali without penalty. They say it isn’t true. Then you see videos everywhere of people walking out with things not prosecuted.

1 in 162 have a chance of being a victim of a violent crime in Athens. 1 in 272 for the rest of the state. Yes that includes Atlanta.
THIS!

Reactions: zingerdawg
I can come at this from a different angle and with a little more on-the-ground view since I worked in law enforcement in Athens. Now I was at UGA, but ACC and UGA share the same computer dispatch program and can listen to each other's radios so I could keep up with what they were dealing with. I do think overall crime in Athens has gone down. There are some big caveats/exceptions to that though.

1. There's definitely been an increase in unreported crimes. People know that under the current DA there's not really a point to report some crimes that in the past they likely would've reported.

2. Drug crime has gone down a lot solely because there's no such thing as a misdemeanor drug offense in Athens right now. The DA won't prosecute misdemeanor drug crimes, so law enforcement doesn't arrest/charge people for it. The drugs are just seized and destroyed.

3. Property crime seems to be pretty stable and doesn't really ever go up or down that much. Every now and then there'll be a spike in things like car/residence break-ins and catalytic converter thefts, but those don't seem to be consistently up.

4. Violent crime is the interesting/complicated one. I would say the vast majority of violent crime in Athens is gang-related. There's been a massive increase in gang-related crime the last few years. It really seems like almost every shooting, armed robbery, murder, etc. has a gang aspect to it. When I was working, I can only remember 2 shootings in town that weren't gang-related in some way. This is also the aspect of crime in Athens that concerns me the most going forward. It's definitely increasing, but for the most part the violence is only between the gangs themselves at the moment. If/when they start targeting ordinary people, things could get really bad really quick. The armed robbery on campus a couple weeks ago is an example. I don't know this for a fact, but I'm pretty sure that was part of a gang initiation. ACCPD has been working really hard the last few years to fight the gang problem, so hopefully they'll figure out some way to curb the growth of that.

Pretty easy for crime numbers to go down when you don't prosecute crime.

I can come at this from a different angle and with a little more on-the-ground view since I worked in law enforcement in Athens. Now I was at UGA, but ACC and UGA share the same computer dispatch program and can listen to each other's radios so I could keep up with what they were dealing with. I do think overall crime in Athens has gone down. There are some big caveats/exceptions to that though.

1. There's definitely been an increase in unreported crimes. People know that under the current DA there's not really a point to report some crimes that in the past they likely would've reported.

2. Drug crime has gone down a lot solely because there's no such thing as a misdemeanor drug offense in Athens right now. The DA won't prosecute misdemeanor drug crimes, so law enforcement doesn't arrest/charge people for it. The drugs are just seized and destroyed.

3. Property crime seems to be pretty stable and doesn't really ever go up or down that much. Every now and then there'll be a spike in things like car/residence break-ins and catalytic converter thefts, but those don't seem to be consistently up.

4. Violent crime is the interesting/complicated one. I would say the vast majority of violent crime in Athens is gang-related. There's been a massive increase in gang-related crime the last few years. It really seems like almost every shooting, armed robbery, murder, etc. has a gang aspect to it. When I was working, I can only remember 2 shootings in town that weren't gang-related in some way. This is also the aspect of crime in Athens that concerns me the most going forward. It's definitely increasing, but for the most part the violence is only between the gangs themselves at the moment. If/when they start targeting ordinary people, things could get really bad really quick. The armed robbery on campus a couple weeks ago is an example. I don't know this for a fact, but I'm pretty sure that was part of a gang initiation. ACCPD has been working really hard the last few years to fight the gang problem, so hopefully they'll figure out some way to curb the growth of that.
Work in the heart of Athens. Have several good folks in blue as clients. This is nearly word for word what I hear from each of them. Just to have your back. Great post and thank you for sharing.

UM…Duped? Yea really dumb to believe that? Are you kidding me

Straight from the horses mouth today ..If the politicized FBI director is admitting to the rise of migrant crime, are you going to try and spin this?
I guess the fentanyl disaster in our country doesn’t count as migrant crime either?

Last edited:

Almost as dumb as saying crime is down. If these thugs are let go every time they commit a crime then sure these libs can say crime is down.

UM…Duped? Yea really dumb to believ

Straight from the horses mouth today ..If the politicized FBI director is admitting to the rise of migrant crime, are you going to try and spin this?
I guess the fentanyl disaster in our country doesn’t count as migrant crime either?

Even if the statistics accurately reported crime being down, quoting that in these debates misses the point.

By definition any illegal alien commuting a violent crime could have been avoided.

Any repeat criminal that should be in jail if not for dumbass politically motivated DA’s could have been avoided.

The crime stat not only is wrong, it is a red herring.

Reactions: zingerdawg
No, according to crime statistics. And for reference, I am not a fan of Girtz. Never been. Just posting facts.
Of course crime is down in Athens. There are ZERO police officers on duty in downtown Athens during the daytime. So no one to take down any reports. Much less prevent it.

This was told to me at a meeting last Monday with the Chamber of Commerce and the Athens Downtown Development Authority before anyone claims otherwise.

Just posting facts.

Of course crime is down in Athens. There are ZERO police officers on duty in downtown Athens during the daytime. So no one to take down any reports. Much less prevent it.

This was told to me at a meeting last Monday with the Chamber of Commerce and the Athens Downtown Development Authority before anyone claims otherwise.

Just posting facts.
Sad

Just posting facts.
Libs always trying to mislead, and sadly it works on so many

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT