ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Where to Live in Atlanta Burbs?

After a long period in exile, I am returning to the great State of Georgia. I have flexibility on where to live, key considerations are: proximity/ease of getting to the airport (fair amount of business travel in normal times so 30-40 minutes is outer limit); good schools (still have one in high school); and spacious houses. Commuting is a non-issue and for that reason and others, I have a strong preference for being OTP. I have family in Macon and Augusta and South Georgia but anything in Atlanta is probably close enough. Tell me what places you like and why you like them.

Thanks!

The simplest answer is Peachtree City!

The highschools are top notch. The city is extremely family friendly, with the golfcart paths being a big draw to many families. You can easily access your family members around the state, and get to the airport within 30-35 minutes. It's a no-brainer for me!

[/QUOTE]
There is nothing good near Atlanta. I have lived in metro for over 60 years. Look at metro Augusta (Grovetown). My son was there for 2 years until 2019.
Look at Savannah too.

YES!!!!!!!!!!! avoid metro Atlanta,, Roswell. Alpharetta, Norcross. etc.

Not in my current role. I could probably take a cut and do field service engineer type job depending on if we have customers in the SE. Right now I’m just waiting on my stock to vest and then I’ll reevaluate. The closest I’m expecting is NC if I make the move back to the south
Would love to have you in NC! Great place to live.

Your airport proximity desire is going to make it hard.

Milton would be the answer but it’s forever to Hartsfield.

I love in town other than the fact that I’ll probably be murdered tomorrow.
Doesn’t MARTA take care of that? Uber to a MARTA station. If I moved back to Atlanta that’s the way I’d do it.

Reactions: Dirty Hairy Dawg
Peachtree city/Tyrone/senoia/Newnan is the only answer in my opinion. You can live in a subdivision with big lots or you can buy 20 acres and a house.
Fayette County schools are ranked very well nationwide.
And traffic is nothing like the north side. I live in Fayetteville and I have never driven 1 time up to Cobb County and not said "why would anybody deal with this traffic?" (no offense to anyone).
And you will have easier access to your family in Macon and South. Especially on a Friday afternoon if you are going down for a weekend.
Lastly you can take back streets to the airport if you want to, but rarely would that be necessary.

Doesn’t MARTA take care of that? Uber to a MARTA station. If I moved back to Atlanta that’s the way I’d do it.
Marta isn't in the cards. It definitely puts you right at the airport, but I've had too many bad experiences. Nothing worse I hate than flying in Friday evening knowing that I'm 45 minutes plus an Uber away, and that's assuming it doesn't go down.

After a long period in exile, I am returning to the great State of Georgia. I have flexibility on where to live, key considerations are: proximity/ease of getting to the airport (fair amount of business travel in normal times so 30-40 minutes is outer limit); good schools (still have one in high school); and spacious houses. Commuting is a non-issue and for that reason and others, I have a strong preference for being OTP. I have family in Macon and Augusta and South Georgia but anything in Atlanta is probably close enough. Tell me what places you like and why you like them.

Thanks!

I'd avoid metro Atlanta if possible.

Reactions: oak mountain dawg
Forget Gwinnett unless its Suwanee or maybe Sugar Hill but even then.......maybe not. Commision chairperson, already proposing to double her and commissioners salaries, She, the DA and sheriff are buying armored-up vehicles, and want their own security teams. It's out of control here and time to pack my shat. Complete chaos with these idiots.

I retired 4 years ago, but from East Cobb to airport parking was 45 minutes. I’m not traveling in rush hour though. Right now, though, there is no rush hour. I’d stay out of Fulton because of taxes, but thats just me.
Rush hour has picked up quite a bit the last 2-3 weeks. I think people are going back into offices. I’m a contractor and drive constantly.

Reactions: IIIput
Forget Gwinnett unless its Suwanee or maybe Sugar Hill but even then.......maybe not. Commision chairperson, already proposing to double her and commissioners salaries, She, the DA and sheriff are buying armored-up vehicles, and want their own security teams. It's out of control here and time to pack my shat. Complete chaos with these idiots.

Wow that’s ridiculous. Who needs an armored vehicle in Gwinnett? I grew LP in Gwinnett sure are a lot more people there now.

I largely eliminated anything up that way because the airport trip is so variable from my memory of old. What's it like these days?
Airport commute is not too bad. If your going to the airport in the morning it is usually opposite of the flow of traffic on 285.

Reactions: BuschDawg
Brookhaven - DeKalb taxes, great restaurants, 20-30 mins to airport. Only ? is public schools (my kids were out when we moved here). Heard Chamblee HS is pretty good. Several private school alternatives.

Thanks!
Peachtree City (Starr’s Mill/McIntosh
Newnan (Northgate district)

That’s Southside and a very easy drive to the airport. Schools are great.

I largely eliminated anything up that way because the airport trip is so variable from my memory of old. What's it like these days?
Airport from east Cobb isn’t bad at all 35 mins or so. I just check my phone and can go 400 or 75 through downtown or just use 285 west to camp creek. I travel for work a few times a month.

The south side might be better for you though. Peachtree City or Newnan would be my choices there.

Thanks!
Never in a million years did I see myself saying this; burn the Newnan area is nice, growing, affordable, close to the airport, and your property value will skyrocket over the next 5-10 years. Northgate district or trinity is a great private school. I live in woodstream not far off 34 basically right between downtown Newnan and Peachtree City. They are supposedly going to re-district north of lower Fayetteville to northgate in a year or so. Currently in east coweta but our kids are 4&6 so no biggie. The property values will jump overnight when this happens

Your airport proximity desire is going to make it hard.

Milton would be the answer but it’s forever to Hartsfield.

I love in town other than the fact that I’ll probably be murdered tomorrow.
I also live in town. Drive to the airport at least once a week during “normal” times.

We also love it except for the pesky crime stuff. Lol

Thanks!

Really depends on your budget but anything in the Roswell-Alpharetta-Milton triangle/west of 400 is the best.

What's that airport trip like?
I loved living in Cumming/Coal Mountain area. We left for Richmond, VA for work but had to move back to Georgia on the south side to be near my family. Picked Newnan and love it here. Love north Georgia but y’all can have 400. I lived off the first red light and done with that commute. If you don’t have to work in Atlanta it’s beautiful up there and the schools are great.

Peachtree city/Tyrone/senoia/Newnan is the only answer in my opinion. You can live in a subdivision with big lots or you can buy 20 acres and a house.
Fayette County schools are ranked very well nationwide.
And traffic is nothing like the north side. I live in Fayetteville and I have never driven 1 time up to Cobb County and not said "why would anybody deal with this traffic?" (no offense to anyone).
And you will have easier access to your family in Macon and South. Especially on a Friday afternoon if you are going down for a weekend.
Lastly you can take back streets to the airport if you want to, but rarely would that be necessary.

if you are going to make your purchase on proximity to the airport and how much house you can get for the dollar then this is probably your best option.

I’ve lived in East Cobb for 20 years and never missed a flight and have plenty of neighbors that are million milers. My neighbor 3 doors down is a Delta pilot. You plan accordingly and make it. I’d bet the ranch there are way more business travelers coming from those north end communities than any other area in the metro.

There are a lot of reasons we tolerate traffic on the north side. If you go ITP with kids it’s private schools and a lot of flexibility on some really great neighborhoods, but a big homes on large lots are $$$$$. OTP, look up the best public high schools in the state and economic demographics of the neighborhoods that feed them. Homes are going to be more expensive because of demand created by six figure income professionals with kids.

There’s no free lunch. If you want a bigger home for the money, then you live further out from 285 or not in one of the high demand high school feeder neighborhoods. You get what you pay for.

Reactions: LT Dawg07
As a guy that grew up in Buckhead and moved at 40 to Woodstock. Woodstock is great and growing at a fair but not to fast pace. You can jump in the Peach lane and cut your trip to the airport in half. Downtown is great. Police are everywhere but I like that!

Yep. Raised my family in Woodstock and it was convenient enough for me. The trip to the airport during rush hour isn't ideal but I'd do rush hour traffic to the airport once a week to get home to a town like that.

I’m with you man. I love my job and there’s not much for me to do back in Georgia. But this year has been tough on us too. Esp after having the little one. The pull back home has been strong
The ability to hop in the car and go see your family and friends is highly underrated. You tell yourself you'll do that when you have to get on an airplane, but between the price and hassle, it just doesn't happen much.

The ability to hop in the car and go see your family and friends is highly underrated. You tell yourself you'll do that when you have to get on an airplane, but between the price and hassle, it just doesn't happen much.
Some combination of good friends/family that you can go see on the regular is a huge quality of life thing that I undervalued in my 20s.

What's that airport trip like?

Obviously depends on traffic. Get a plug in hybrid and ride in the toll lanes and HOV coming and going to the airport. It’s sweet. Reduces drive time significantly. Lots of brands to choose from, don’t have to go Tesla.

Reactions: LawDawg86

Thanks!
Peachtree City. Great place to live. A “planned community”.

Definitely checks the ease to the airport block. Many Delta employees and pilots choose PTC as their home.

Great schools...check.

You’ll have to get a golf cart. If you’re not familiar with PTC, golf carts can get you anywhere in town. There is even golf cart parking at the high schools now for the kids.

I could also get you connected with a great realtor if you want to look into PTC a little more.

Reactions: A Tale of Two Dawgs
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT