ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Word is ANGC making plans to

18,000 people have died in the US THIS YEAR of the flu.
So far the Corona virus has not killed that many world wide.
Not saying its not a problem, but personally I will worry about it when the numbers warrant it.

That’s exactly why full measures might be necessary. There is no vaccine for this.

Reactions: borodawg
So in a thread a couple of days ago, I asked whether we are taking this too seriously or not seriously enough. Not having spectators at a sporting event in April in the US would be under the heading of "too seriously."
I think if the predictions of "thousands of cases" happening by then in the US it would be justified. Considering how far people for this event it makes sense. I also think that if most people will just attempt to practice better hygiene this won't kill nearly as many people here as other countries, older/sick people being excluded. It's dangerous, but should not be as lethal to the majority of people.

18,000 people have died in the US THIS YEAR of the flu.
So far the Corona virus has not killed that many world wide.
Not saying its not a problem, but personally I will worry about it when the numbers warrant it.
Percentage wise, covid-19 is already worse. Somewhere around a 2% rate versus the flu which is something like .10%.

So in a thread a couple of days ago, I asked whether we are taking this too seriously or not seriously enough. Not having spectators at a sporting event in April in the US would be under the heading of "too seriously."
Not to mention that the event is outside. This is fake news, I think.

Reactions: pheasantdawg
That's a false choice. I'd prefer it be taken the proper amount of serious.
Of course I agree that it be taken the proper amount of seriousness. But who determines that right amount? Those who determine the proper amount of seriousness for themselves or others will either be too much for some or not enough for others. People are going to do what they want regardless.

I certainly agree that we don't need to panic. That will cause way more problems. If you're a business that operates internationally, you certainly need to assess risk in an appropriate manner.

Reactions: RoyDawgMercer
Of course I agree that it be taken the proper amount of seriousness. But who determines that right amount? Those who determine the proper amount of seriousness for themselves or others will either be too much for some or not enough for others. People are going to do what they want regardless.

I certainly agree that we don't need to panic. That will cause way more problems. If you're a business that operates internationally, you certainly need to assess risk in an appropriate manner.
I guess what I would say is the proper amount of seriousness is what the medical experts tell us. Right now, they're saying, essentially:
  • Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
  • Stay home when you are sick.
  • Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
  • Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/prevention-treatment.html

To me, anything beyond that is taking it too seriously for healthy, non-elderly people.

Yeah it’s probably worth doing the due diligence to make sure they are prepared but seems to be an overreaction to make a call right now

It's like the weatherman predicting snow and ice. No matter how many times they are wrong people flood the grocery stores buying bread and milk. This is causing the same effect for medical supplies

Reactions: Golden Boy
Italy isn’t 3rd world.
I was referring to China and the area the virus started is basically 3rd world with crappy health care and ability to control the spread due to large population.
Italy has by far the most geriatric population in Europe and it is primarily affecting old people and thus the higher death rate.

Reactions: I was there dawg
Man, not the Masters but I've got hospitality suite passes to the RBC the next weekend. Hope I can still go.

I was referring to China in the area the virus started is basically 3rd world with crapy health care and ability to control the spread due to large population.
Italy has by far the most geriatric population in Europe and it is primarily affecting old people and thus the higher death rate.

How many old people do you know? This is far deadlier to them than the flu.

Reactions: borodawg
Absolutely, man. That's why it should be taken seriously and those of us who aren't older or immunocompromised have to do our part. Doesn't mean cancelling attendance at sporting events if you're not sick, though.

My biggest fear is not that myself or wife or even my 5-yr old will get COVID-19. I think even if we did we would likely recover. My biggest fear is that I will get it and unknowingly transmit it to someone who may not recover. Too many vulnerable people in our lives to risk that. We been doing extra precautious stuff for that reason alone.

This I am aware of but you don't hear of people dropping dead all over Beijing it's mostly in the rural areas of China that are basically 3rd world
There's literally no part of China that is 3rd world. Third world is a term that means "neither a liberal democracy aligned with the US (first world) nor a communist dictatorship aligned with the USSR/China."

Now, if you would like to say there are developed and less developed parts of China, I'll allow it. :)

Yeah it’s probably worth doing the due diligence to make sure they are prepared but seems to be an overreaction to make a call right now

You can't wait too much longer. There's a lot of logistics that goes into that many people going into an area (or not) for an entire week. And for an event like The Masters that is going to attract so many international visitors....even moreso.

There's literally no part of China that is 3rd world. Third world is a term that means "neither a liberal democracy aligned with the US (first world) nor a communist dictatorship aligned with the USSR/China."

Now, if you would like to say there are developed and less developed parts of China, I'll allow it. :)
Semantics. You know what I meant and it was a figure of speech as to living conditions

I was referring to China and the area the virus started is basically 3rd world with crappy health care and ability to control the spread due to large population.
No true at all. Do these pics of Wuhan look like a 3rd World location to you? Not saying it's perfect but it is definitely NOT 3rd world.
0_image_2182_1.jpg

wuhan_1700x1063.jpg

The fear is Covid-19 can be spread simply by bodily droplets in the air v only direct contact. That would mean standing down breeze from someone or just nearby could be enough to transmit the virus. The CDC is testing that possibility right now and prolly what The Masters is concerned about.

Reactions: jhm711 and ugafish
You can't wait too much longer. There's a lot of logistics that goes into that many people going into an area (or not) for an entire week. And for an event like The Masters that is going to attract so many international visitors....even moreso.

Right so do the work, pick a date you have to make the call and go.

have no fans at Masters due to Covid-19 virus. That would be a real shocker and cost people a whole bunch of money.
I know people connected about as high as you can get connected on the Georgia/National response on this thing. The CDC internal material shows that between 15,000 and 33,000 people will die of "regular" strains of flu this year. That's the norm. The U.S. has had 11 deaths from Coronavirus so far. Who knows how bad it will mushroom, and we need to be cautious, of course. But so far the media-fed hysteria does not match reality.

Semantics. You know what I meant and it was a figure of speech as to living conditions
You might want to brush up on Wuhan. It is a leading manufacturing, modern industrial design, scientific, technology, research and educational area of China.

I know people connected about as high as you can get connected on the Georgia/National response on this thing. The CDC internal material shows that between 15,000 and 33,000 people will die of "regular" strains of flu this year. That's the norm. The U.S. has had 11 deaths from Coronavirus so far. Who knows how bad it will mushroom, and we need to be cautious, of course. But so far the media-fed hysteria does not match reality.

So what in that message comes from your "highly connected" people? What was the point of that first sentence?

Imagine how much worse the flu would be without the vaccine. Thats the potential of this illness.

The Final Four is at M-B in late March, will it be without spectators? There has been discussions of teams only. Unless there are more confirmed cases in the USA I doubt spectatorless events will take place, BUT it could happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT