ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Word is ANGC making plans to

Imagine how much worse the flu would be without the vaccine. Thats the potential of this illness.

fish, how old are you, if you are willing to share? Just curious. For a long time, I thought of you as one of our senior posters, but I believe I ran across a post some back back that had your age in the 30s.

So in a thread a couple of days ago, I asked whether we are taking this too seriously or not seriously enough. Not having spectators at a sporting event in April in the US would be under the heading of "too seriously."
Unless someone showed up to the tournament with the virus....then it would fall under not taking seriously enough. Unfortunately there is no happy medium with all this nonsense.

fish, how old are you, if you are willing to share? Just curious. For a long time, I thought of you as one of our senior posters, but I believe I ran across a post some back back that had your age in the 30s.

39, and most people my age have many older family members that are at high risk with this illness, so I don’t understand the whole “it only affects old people” mantra from people my age and younger like @HacksawDawg.

Last edited:
18,000 people have died in the US THIS YEAR of the flu.
So far the Corona virus has not killed that many world wide.
Not saying its not a problem, but personally I will worry about it when the numbers warrant it.
We've already been over the fatality rate of this virus in SEVERAL threads. Please just stop with this dumb take.

39, and most people my age have many older family members that are at high risk with this illness, so I don’t understand the whole “it only affects old people” mantra from people my age and younger.
Oh, I agree. It shouldn't be just a "me" concern. This subject brought the question of your age to mind, but it is something that I've wondered about before not just within the corona context.

Well that could be with pretty much any virus that any person could get

Bingo. This isn't Ebola. It's a mild chest cold. There are scores of other common viruses floating around the general population all the time that are just as serious and just as likely to have adverse effects on compromised immune systems.

So you're allowed to believe things that are proven untrue? Wow...

Tagline checks out.
Im allowed to believe any damn thing I want to - no matter who disagrees with me or does not like it.
Which to the point - is that most of what you read or hear has an agenda.
I'll trust my multiple friends who are highly respected doctors opinions over anything posted on the internet or driven by the media.
And yes my tag line definitely applies here - I'll let you figure out which side of it you fall on.
Have a nice day.

We've already been over the fatality rate of this virus in SEVERAL threads. Please just stop with this dumb take.
The actual death rate from this virus is probably unknown at this point. The numerator seems clear but not the denominator. Imperial College in England hypothesizes that perhaps the majority of cases are undiagnosed because people think it is a routine cold (which would drive fatality rate down sharply).

Interesting stuff to be found when you look past the headlines and dig into the emerging science on this.

The actual death rate from this virus is probably unknown at this point. The numerator seems clear but not the denominator. Imperial College in England hypothesizes that perhaps the majority of cases are undiagnosed because people think it is a routine cold (which would drive fatality rate down sharply).

Interesting stuff to be found when you look past the headlines and dig into the emerging science on this.
This is what I believe will be to proven to be true that the death rate is quite low because this thing is quite honestly being mostly undiagnosed

I'm aware. But this guy is saying more people have died from the flu than from COVID-19. Well no $hit, less people have had COVID-19. Just pointing out the shortcomings of his perspective.

Bingo. This isn't Ebola. It's a mild chest cold. There are scores of other common viruses floating around the general population all the time that are just as serious and just as likely to have adverse effects on compromised immune systems.

It’s far worse than the flu on older people. It’s not just a problem for immunocompromised as you keep on claiming.

I don't know about panic but this announcement doesn't surprise me. I worked in the Travel Industry my entire career until retiring a couple years ago. I attended a lot of the global conferences and trade shows and just learned that ITB the largest Travel Industry show of its kind - held in Berlin every year - has been cancelled. We're talking 40,000 vendor attendees and over 150,000 visitors. That tells me that the travel industry is getting impacted in a major way.

Trying to give you perspective. If they are above 65, you should be very concerned about this virus.
I don't need or want your perspective - thought that was already clear......
In any case I don't worry about this or any other illness, it's out of my control.

I know you don’t want it, but you certainly need it.
On the contrary - I definitely DON'T need it.
I need food, water, sex, a good drink - your perspective, no matter how highly thought of by yourself, is most definitely NOT needed.

It’s far worse than the flu on older people. It’s not just a problem for immunocompromised as you keep on claiming.

Not sure when you became a CDC researcher, but taking the media panic with a massive grain of salt is not unreasonable, and there is plenty of data to support it. There are many, many doctors saying the very same thing Nooga is.

This is a very mild virus for most everyone. It's highly likely this is far more widespread than known and that data going uncollected because it's not severe enough for most to think it's anything but a cold.

So nope, I'm not changing my daily routine over this. Those up in arms over such a position probably send their sick kids to school without thinking twice about it.

Not sure when you became a CDC researcher, but taking the media panic with a massive grain of salt is not unreasonable, and there is plenty of data to support it. There are many, many doctors saying the very same thing Nooga is.
Ironic because the CDC seems to be supporting the “panic” not your friends who wear scrubs because they sell medical devices.

A golf tourney is the safest event you could possibly have, it is outside and you touch nothing, when they start cancelling real college basketball games, that is when I will start to worry about the Masters.

So nope, I'm not changing my daily routine over this.

Some of you remarks in this thread seem over the top, but I agree with this.

Maybe it'll get to that point, but nothing ever has. Not 9/11. Nothing.

My dad's memorial service is Saturday and I'm looking forward to seeing those who attend, some of whom I rarely see or have not seen in years. Some of our elderly relatives have scrapped plans to fly in tomorrow and I get that.

My 12 y.o. daughter has softball practice tomorrow night and a softball game Saturday. I can't wait (opening day). I do want her to wash her hands more often and keep her hands away from her face.

My mom is in her mid-late 70's and her sister has been in the hospital for over a week for something related to Crohn's disease and of course my mom has been at the hospital every day. Not ideal but I haven't tried to dissuade her. She has never listened to a damn bit of my advice, I don't think she'll start now.

Reactions: DAWGS_1
My wife is the children's ministry director at our church. She just went by Walmart to pick up disinfectant wipes for the nursery and the entire isle was empty. Worker said they'd have more in 2 weeks. People are going nuts.
Just left Kroger CUmming and disinfectant wipes were prevalent. Probably depends on location. PS< you can buy 6 bottles of 12oz Purell on Amazon for $225....I kid you not. SMDH...just wash your hands, right?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT