ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Active shooter at Appalachee High School

I’m seeing some suggestions of that too but no idea how credible any of it is
LE has officially announced one suspect in custody and "reports of casualties"

This is obviously subject to change at any minute.

This awful and so sad! I am originally from Barrow County. My parents house is in this school district now. Prayers to all involved in this tragedy!

I am a high school teacher, and I do. I also hear the conversations of students.
My wife thought about it more in GA than here in FL. Where she teaches at now has multiple layers of security to get in the building and then another to get in the area where classrooms are. Plus the new campus she is at has bulletproof windows everywhere. She no longer really worries about it because of those measures.

My wife thought about it more in GA than here in FL. Where she teaches at now has multiple layers of security to get in the building and then another to get in the area where classrooms are. Plus the new campus she is at has bulletproof windows everywhere. She no longer really worries about it because of those measures.
Are students/visitors required to pass through metal detectors to enter? I think that's one of the biggest things

Reactions: cinemadawg
I’m seeing some suggestions of that too but no idea how credible any of it is
WSB confirmed suspect in custody. No other details. They just said “casualties” have been reported.
I am not dash reporting this. It is rumor, but last I heard there were three shooters and they haven’t caught all of them. Someone even said there was a rumor they had planned to hit more than one school. Don’t shoot the messenger if I am wrong. Just passing along what I have heard.

Local news is saying there were fatalities. Once I heard this news, I stepped out to my front yard and could hear sirens. I’m probably 3 miles away as the crow flies. 😥🙏🏻

Last edited:
My wife is a teacher, she never thinks about it. Not sure how true all students are living with that in their mind.
My wife was a teacher and she thought about it a lot actually. A lot of drills at the school to prepare them for it. That’s really screwed up that you have to prepare for a shooter. Honestly I was so happy when she retired.

I am not dash reporting this. It is rumor, but last I heard there were three shooters and they haven’t caught all of them. Someone even said there was a rumor they had planned to hit more than one school. Don’t shoot the messenger if I am wrong. Just passing along what I have heard.
Please stop. This serves no purpose at all.

Not saying it’s not true…but I’d be very surprised by this and hesitant to spread this. Preliminary rumors, like this suggestion of numerous shooters loose, are common during situations like this out of the pure chaotic nature of the event.

There are so many reasonable things which could be done to make our schools harder targets but they are expensive. For example, I look at classroom doors and the ones I see should be completely redesigned (and therefore replaced) but the cost of replacing every classroom door in the county/state/country would be staggering. But it would make our teachers and students safer. Obviously that’s just 1 idea. At my daughter’s school, she knows of an exterior door that remains unlocked at all times during school hours. That drives me nuts.

My wife is a school teacher. She obviously HAS to think about it as they have drills and contingencies, etc. But this isn’t something that occupies her thoughts or our kids’ thoughts in a bad way (running through scenarios occasionally isn’t a bad thing, irrational fear is).

It is going to hit the board one way or another. I am not the only one out there saying this hack. At least I am saying ahead of time It hasn’t been confirmed.
You're rumor mongering. Period. It's completely irresponsible and distasteful. I know people at Apalachee and basically every surrounding HS. Heck, my kids' school (Buford) is on soft lockdown because of this.

Just stop.

I voiced this complaint to my wife because her school didn't have the money to hire a full time security guard years ago.

Why is the school district responsible for footing the bill to put armed police in schools & pay for security measures. When a shooting takes place, it's not the principle or school board leader who had to stand tallest in front of angry parents & the national press, it's the mayor of the city & chief of police. They are the ones who should be responsible for funding the security at schools, not the underfunded schools themselves who struggle to even pay their bus drivers & keep the lights on. Jmo

Last edited:
It is going to hit the board one way or another. I am not the only one out there saying this hack. At least I am saying ahead of time It hasn’t been confirmed.

Not saying you're wrong. I have no idea. But its been reported they are releasing students to their parents and this seems unlikely if they are chasing multiple shooters around.

I'd just wait until they verify things.

As was pointed out earlier, a lot of people who post here have family there at that school. My wife and I are friends with a teacher there (she's safe). My daughter's volleyball team was supposed to play the middle school there on campus (Haymond Morris) and right next door this afternoon. A lot of people have much closer connections than that so it might not be helpful to post unverified stuff right now.

Both of my children went there and graduated. Oldest keeps in touch with several teachers and coaches. They just need prayer. This is school cluster with Yargo elementary and Haman Morris middle basically sharing parking lots. My heart breaks for them

• Sad
Reactions: Jug Tavern Dawg
There are so many reasonable things which could be done to make our schools harder targets but they are expensive. For example, I look at classroom doors and the ones I see should be completely redesigned (and therefore replaced) but the cost of replacing every classroom door in the county/state/country would be staggering. But it would make our teachers and students safer. Obviously that’s just 1 idea. At my daughter’s school, she knows of an exterior door that remains unlocked at all times during school hours. That drives me nuts.

My wife is a school teacher. She obviously HAS to think about it as they have drills and contingencies, etc. But this isn’t something that occupies her thoughts or our kids’ thoughts in a bad way (running through scenarios occasionally isn’t a bad thing, irrational fear is).
This is why administrators have to harp on teachers who won’t keep windows and doors secured. The teachers get pissed, but no one wants to be in charge of a school where this happens and it came out that they weren’t doing what they should have to keep everyone safe.

You're rumor mongering. Period. It's completely irresponsible and distasteful. I know people at Apalachee and basically every surrounding HS. Heck, my kids' school (Buford) is on soft lockdown because of this.

Just stop.
I know people there very well too. They are safe now. I will let it go. If they weren’t safe, it would be different.

I'm the spouse of a retired Winder-Barrow math teacher with 2 kids that are WBHS alums. Apalachee is the other public high school in our little county so like every other small town there are a lot of community connections. Her phone has been dinging almost non-stop with texts (and rumors) since the news broke, but no one really knows anything definitive other than what the news is reporting. I'm almost literally sick to my stomach...and pissed. The cliche' you hear in situations like this is "you never think it could happen here", but it has, and unfortunately we're dealing with that reality now. T&P's are another cliche' that gets thrown around as well, but the faculty, parents, and kids of AHS...and Barrow County at large...need them. This is going to leave an enormous scar on our county.

*EDIT: I can confirm that WBHS is on lockdown at the moment, but from multiple sources inside the building...and contrary to rumor...it's purely precautionary.

Last edited:
Not saying you're wrong. I have no idea. But its been reported they are releasing students to their parents and this seems unlikely if they are chasing multiple shooters around.

I'd just wait until they verify things.

As was pointed out earlier, a lot of people who post here have family there at that school. My wife and I are friends with a teacher there (she's safe). My daughter's volleyball team was supposed to play the middle school there on campus (Haymond Morris) and right next door this afternoon. A lot of people have much closer connections than that so it might not be helpful to post unverified stuff right now.
Ok. I will let it go. I have just been a member of this board for a long time. It is going to be here one way or another. Just an awful event. Doesn’t seem real so close to home

I don’t get why every school doesn’t have adequate protection, such as metal detectors, secured entrance with air lock, all other entrances and exits locked, fenced perimeters, surveillance cameras.
Like @HuntinDawg said, the expense & amount of man hours it would take is probably what keeps a lot of this from happening. Some of these school districts can barely keep the lights on, and many schools are long overdue for replacement/expansion/refurbishment (my son went to one of them in the Atlanta area for high school, in fact). But I will just say, imagining every school in America essentially looking like a prison with metal detectors, fenced perimeters, & surveillance cameras everywhere is kind of chilling to think about. Should we do that with every hotel, grocery store, shopping mall, little league field, office building, etc. as well? Let's face it- America is full of soft targets, and unfortunately there's only so much you can reasonably do to prevent tragic incidents like this from happening if someone is determined to carry it out. It's always awful & especially terrible when it happens at a place like a school (and my wife is a teacher at a preschool where they have sadly had to go through training for incidents like this as well), but I'm not sure locking every place we all go down like a prison is the answer necessarily.

I didn’t claim anything. All I did was pass along information. I will not post anymore on the subject. The kids have all already been released to their parents. Over an hour ago.

I’ll defend @zingerdawg inasmuch as I’ve seen the same thing re: multiple shooters elsewhere. Whether this is any validity to it, I don’t know. And I don’t think he was claiming there was either, just that there are those rumors (for lack of a better term) out there.

Just stop.
You don't run the board, I know a kid that teaches there and one of the teacher's that was taken to the hospital. People are just trying to get as much information as possible. It is already out there on social media.

I’ll defend @zingerdawg inasmuch as I’ve seen the same thing re: multiple shooters elsewhere. Whether this is any validity to it, I don’t know. And I don’t think he was claiming there was either, just that there are those rumors (for lack of a better term) out there.
Exactly. It is out there everywhere. My friend picked up his kid at 11:30. A guy above said the winder barrow thing was a rumor. A firefighter also texted me from that county saying the same. They did follow that lead. As they should to be sure there was no danger of validity to the rumor.

Like @HuntinDawg said, the expense & amount of man hours it would take is probably what keeps a lot of this from happening. Some of these school districts can barely keep the lights on, and many schools are long overdue for replacement/expansion/refurbishment (my son went to one of them in the Atlanta area for high school, in fact). But I will just say, imagining every school in America essentially looking like a prison with metal detectors, fenced perimeters, & surveillance cameras everywhere is kind of chilling to think about. Should we do that with every hotel, grocery store, shopping mall, little league field, office building, etc. as well? Let's face it- America is full of soft targets, and unfortunately there's only so much you can reasonably do to prevent tragic incidents like this from happening if someone is determined to carry it out. It's always awful & especially terrible when it happens at a place like a school (and my wife is a teacher at a preschool where they have sadly had to go through training for incidents like this as well), but I'm not sure locking every place we all go down like a prison is the answer necessarily.
We may need to slide this over to Chat.

Reactions: Boom MFer Dawg
I texted my wife after I heard about this and thanked her again for homeschooling our son.
homeschooling family here too. My kids are 14, 12, and 9 and we have homeschooled each year up until this one. My oldest is now attending a small private school (14 students total) now that he's in HS and wants to be a part of a cohort. But it has worked out amazingly for us. God bless our wives.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT