ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Active shooter at Appalachee High School

Latest update from GBI is 4 dead and 9 injured.

Shooter is, unfortunately, alive and in custody.
"Unfortunately?" I would think it's more helpful to prevent future tragedies that the suspect IS alive and in custody, rather than committing suicide by law enforcement. Any insights about this person's motives, state of mind, personal circumstances, etc., can help us understand why these continue to happen. CNN is saying the shooter is 14 years old. A CHILD doesn't JUST DECIDE to do this. We owe it to the victims' families and our own children to learn WHY they do it, so we can work to recognize and prevent it. Him/her being alive helps to do that.

Can also confirm other schools close by have been on lock down for the remainder of the day with potential for searches as well. Appears this lockdown may extend through the rest of this week for other schools based on the tea leaves and having lived through a threat during my time in HS.
If they hold class I’m SURE every school in the county will be on lockdown tomorrow and Friday.

They also locked down Winder Barrow high school and reports of a shooter on school grounds there this morning too. Kids heard shots and banging on doors. Lots of SWAT and police activity. Source: family member who is a student at WB texting while locked down
There was no shooter on the school grounds at WBHS. The lockdown there was purely precautionary. Source: 4 different teachers from inside the building that my wife used to work with.

My wife is a teacher, she never thinks about it. Not sure how true all students are living with that in their mind.

I have a high schooler. Stoneman Douglas happened when she was in elementary school in our county. I know these kids have thought about this a lot for the last 6 years. One of the reasons we moved her to private school for high school.

Reactions: Boom MFer Dawg
"Unfortunately?" I would think it's more helpful to prevent future tragedies that the suspect IS alive and in custody, rather than committing suicide by law enforcement. Any insights about this person's motives, state of mind, personal circumstances, etc., can help us understand why these continue to happen. CNN is saying the shooter is 14 years old. A CHILD doesn't JUST DECIDE to do this. We owe it to the victims' families and our own children to learn WHY they do it, so we can work to recognize and prevent it. Him/her being alive helps to do that.
No Quarter!

That he’s alive may provide some insight into how this happened. By that I mean the circumstances that lead up to it. But that’s probably a misplaced hope; that what I’m sure is an irrational person can provide anything of value.
Agreed. Too often they are killed or do suicide and we never know the reason for the crimes.

I have a high schooler. Stoneman Douglas happened when she was in elementary school in our county. I know these kids have thought about this a lot for the last 6 years. One of the reasons we moved her to private school for high school.

Yep my oldest (college freshman) is the same age as the kids that were massacred in Newtown, CT. It is definitely something her and her friends routinely talked about. And of course if you are doing lockdown drills at school, it is going to be at least a semiregular thing kids think about.

CNN saying the school got a call this morning warning them of a shooting that would happen at 5 schools and that they would be the first.

IF that's true and someone didn't report it to law enforcement OR the Winder/Barrow LEO community failed to take the threat seriously this is going to be as bad as Uvalde was from a law enforcement PR standpoint.

Absolutely inconceivable that in this day and age a threat of that nature wouldn't generate an immediate call to and then response from law enforcement.

I went to stoneman Douglas for two years when I lived in Florida a short while. My JV football coach was killed that day protecting students.

IF that's true and someone didn't report it to law enforcement OR the Winder/Barrow LEO community failed to take the threat seriously this is going to be as bad as Uvalde was from a law enforcement PR standpoint.

Absolutely inconceivable that in this day and age a threat of that nature wouldn't generate an immediate call to and then response from law enforcement.
Bro Winder Barrow had no less than 50 cop cars/first responder types around it. Whatever happened or didn’t happen I can almost assure you it was taken seriously

For real, you’d have thought the event was there not Apalachee

Bro Winder Barrow had no less than 50 cop cars/first responder types around it. Whatever happened or didn’t happen I can almost assure you it was taken seriously

Correct. I was there this morning before it all happened. Again, all unconfirmed but two kids were arrested there with guns. From a police officer.

I personally know Sheriff Smith, and I can assure you that if any threat was made in advance he would have done everything humanly possible to prevent it.

Unfortunately alive in the sense that they get to continue living after murdering and wounding numerous innocent people. Just my opinion, but anyone who could commit something this evil cannot be rehabilitated to be contributing members to society. They will spend the rest of their lives having their care provided for at tax payer expense and these poor families will have to live this nightmare everyday now and likely years of drawn out court hearings. Some may disagree with that position and that’s fine.

With that said I admit if this latest report is true about the shooters unusually young age that does give me some pause about the above.

I would not post any reports of fatalities or injuries in this thread. It's almost certainly inaccurate and there's 100% likelihood we have Apalachee HS folks on this board.

To be clear, absolutely nothing has been "confirmed." Never will understand the race to share bad news by some.
My mother in law thrives off of it !

I went to stoneman Douglas for two years when I lived in Florida a short while. My JV football coach was killed that day protecting students.

Coach Hixon? God rest his and the other victims Souls.

I'll be honest everytime I think about Coach Hixon, Coach Beigel and Peter Wang I get emotional. They died heros saving others.

Reactions: celticdawg

I think he means taken seriously "before" it happened due to the warning... Did Winder Barrow have those cars show up after the event and in response to it? Or before the event and because of the warning?

Because if Appalache had a similar response before the incident then I doubt a 14 year old could have gotten past them to commit the acts he's accused of.

Maybe he called from a cell phone in the parking lot at Appalachee and then went straight in? Who knows. I guess we'll find out in the coming days. Just crazy.

Reactions: rednblack4life
Coach Hixon? God rest his and the other victims Souls.

I'll be honest everytime I think about Coach Hixon, Coach Beigel and Peter Wang I get emotional. They died heros saving others.
Aaron Feis. One of the most solid guys you could ever meet. Was actually really instrumental in helping deal with and mentor troubled students.

I think he means taken seriously "before" it happened due to the warning... Did Winder Barrow have those cars show up after the event and in response to it? Or before the event and because of the warning?

Because if Appalache had a similar response before the incident then I doubt a 14 year old could have gotten past them to commit the acts he's accused of.

Maybe he called from a cell phone in the parking lot at Appalachee and then went straight in? Who knows. I guess we'll find out in the coming days. Just crazy.
I don’t know

Yeah - this is to what I was referring. IF (and I'm saying IF because until someone in a position of power/trust speaks from a podium it isn't fact - just reporting off-the-record sources) someone called and threatened that Appalachee would be the first school to be targeted and that person at the school didn't immediately call law enforcement and/or law enforcement didn't respond immediately upon being notified, it is going to be bad.

Of course the kid could have been in the parking lot and walked right in - but if there was a significant time gap between the supposed call and the actual shooting and the cops didn't immediately swarm that school heads are gonna have to roll is all I'm saying. I'm not questioning the integrity of the Sheriff or anyone else - just saying if there was warning and time between there are going to have to be explanations.

Let's use common sense. There is sooo much BS traveling the rumor mill right now it's absurd. Teenagers and drama and fabricated info. My wife had another mother who I had previously assumed wasn't a total idiot text her that there had been shootings at three other schools, too. 🤦

I mean, the call thing was reported on CNN as coming from "several" law enforcement sources:

The high school at the center of today’s mass shooting in Georgia received an earlier phone threat, multiple law enforcement officials tell CNN.

Law enforcement officials in Georgia say Apalachee High School received a phone call this morning warning that there would be shootings at five schools and that Apalachee would be the first.

It is not known who placed the call. Officials tell CNN they are investigating the call and where it originated.

But, once again, until someone puts a name to facts this is clearly not substantiated.

Reactions: Dirty Hairy Dawg
Naw. Anyone who shoots up schools or churches or any family events, nope. I'm not gonna pretend to be better they deserve better
Okay. It’s just a disgusting lack of humanity but if you’re happy with acting like a barbarian and wishing torture on a 14 year old, then that’s your prerogative.

Before CNN reports it and likely gets it wrong, it appears the shooter had an AR, though the incident scene photo I received is a bit grainy.

Okay. It’s just a disgusting lack of humanity but if you’re happy with acting like a barbarian and wishing torture on a 14 year old, then that’s your prerogative.
I'm ok if the whole board forever judges me for my post.

His age of 14 is irrelevant to me in this situation. His intent was crystal clear: kill & maim as many people as he could

Last edited:
I mean, the call thing was reported on CNN as coming from "several" law enforcement sources:

The high school at the center of today’s mass shooting in Georgia received an earlier phone threat, multiple law enforcement officials tell CNN.

Law enforcement officials in Georgia say Apalachee High School received a phone call this morning warning that there would be shootings at five schools and that Apalachee would be the first.

It is not known who placed the call. Officials tell CNN they are investigating the call and where it originated.

But, once again, until someone puts a name to facts this is clearly not substantiated.
Was told that as far as as the school system knows, the multiple schools is unconfirmed at this time.

You're rumor mongering. Period. It's completely irresponsible and distasteful. I know people at Apalachee and basically every surrounding HS. Heck, my kids' school (Buford) is on soft lockdown because of this.

Just stop.
Seems like this rumor is the first to pop up every time a school shooting happens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT