ADVERTISEMENT

Any stock picks?

Check Motley Fool. They have made me many thousands of dollars.
Got me into the well known and lesser knows before people knew them. - Shopify, Paycom. PayPal, Nivida, Crowdstrike, FTCH, Redfern,Flugent, OKTA, Square, The Trade Desk, Twist. - - I have more than doubled my money on each of these.

They recommended Shopify at $43/share. I recently sold at $1,150/ share. Now its $1262 per share.

I stupidly sold (against their recommendation) Netflix, Tesla, Mecardolibra, AMT, Etsy, etc, too soon, after they put me in them early.

Not bragging, just saying, I don’t know of any service better! I’m up over 60% this year.

My best friend works for The Trade Desk (TTD) and has a lot of company stock. No, I'm not jealous at all...

I'm really just mad he didn't put a gun to my head & force me to buy a bunch of it when they first went public.

Got me into the well known and lesser knows before people knew them. - Shopify, Paycom. PayPal, Nivida, Crowdstrike, FTCH, Redfern,Flugent, OKTA, Square, The Trade Desk, Twist. - - I have more than doubled my money on each of these.

They recommended Shopify at $43/share. I recently sold at $1,150/ share. Now its $1262 per share.

I stupidly sold (against their recommendation) Netflix, Tesla, Mecardolibra, AMT, Etsy, etc, too soon, after they put me in them early.

Not bragging, just saying, I don’t know of any service better! I’m up over 60% this year.
He is not lying.....$99 sub is worth it. Everything they recommend with sub has popped. Outside of that, IDEX....been mentioned here before - that is poised to pop. Do your DD.

Free advice is worth what you paid for it! Expert advice will cost you a lot, and be worth about as much.

One thing I remember from my first finance course is that a monkey with a dartboard is about as accurate as all the geniuses on Wall Street. It was true then, true now.
When the markets are in a strong uptrend only. Know folks who regularly beat Mr Market regularly. Like anything else it takes knowledge, time, and rules. Goto Investors.com.

Big fan of Motley Fool. Bought several of the stocks that you listed as well as Zoom. Sold most of them too soon but I’ll never complain about taking a profit. I pay $149 for Stock Advisor on Motley Fool. Anyone belong to any of their more expensive services and if so, what do you think?

Last edited:
Reactions: SamboDawg
MSFT might be a better bet based on how they destroyed the problem that originated with the Solarwinds hack. Their OS clout was and is obvious.
Yep, I have nice chunk of MSFT also....I was suggesting that ETF as a long term play for diversification mostly.

Quantum Scape has come up with a new form of solid state battery. Stock price (QS) has gone through the roof. The battery won't be ready for another couple of years, but this could be a one time technological event. The stock has appreciated by a low of $ 58 last week to around $ 125 today.
(LAZR) makes lidar sensors for cars. I bought 2000 shares yesterday when it started to run. Finished up 8% and is up about 3.5% today.
And of course, (AAPL) looks ready to run again.
VLDR is another liar play.

Last edited:
check out an ETF - ARKK...you can google it and get the securities it holds - somewhere around 45 or so - been a good one.
Up 23% in the 45 days since the election. also ARKF. 2 of the biggest gaining ETF‘s of 2020

Reactions: SamboDawg
Feels like market is overweight with most companies returning to pre COVID valuations / price. Was thinking about dipping toe in hotel/services which is still depressed. Any Gordon Geckos our there?
I told you guys to buy CHEF Red Robin Redfin in March /April and if you did great.
I feel
Bad for the ones who sold
Everything

I been buying VGAC which is Richard Bronsons next SPAC. His last one was Virgin Galactic SPCE

if you want safe money buy GS which is Goldman. That will be up $60 points next year

Feels like market is overweight with most companies returning to pre COVID valuations / price. Was thinking about dipping toe in hotel/services which is still depressed. Any Gordon Geckos our there?
You make money in stocks buying hi and selling higher not on distressed on sale merchandise . That said, DAL is hiring and they don’t ever do that unless they see advance bookings rising. Boeing is gonna dig their way out of the 737Max debacle. Airbus. Carnival Cruises. Norwegian Cruise Lines. All of them will bolt up as the vaccine is distributed. Not sayin there aren’t better plays till they do but you’ll be rewarded for your patience by late Spring and Summer. You could put Disney I. That group plus some hotel chains. All the best.

Reactions: FivePtsDawg
Do your homework and put together a shopping list. Stocks will pull back if the republicans lose the senate. That would be a great time to buy when stocks could go on sale. Look at TAN if dems win.
Not until the Fed raises rates, employment picks up, virus is behind us.

PS - Best historical markets have occurred under Democratic control.

I can’t believe I’m asking this on the Vent , but here goes.

Can anyone recommend a platform like ETrade or whatever else to get started in the market? I already have a very solid 401k and my father has been making a fortune in the market so I won’t be flying blind. Tia...

I been buying VGAC which is Richard Bronsons next SPAC. His last one was Virgin Galactic SPCE

if you want safe money buy GS which is Goldman. That will be up $60 points next year
I think Chamath took that public. Chamath SPACs have been money so far.

Someone on here mentioned CHEF back in April and its had a incredible return since then. RRGB has also done quite well with some room to grow. PENN has almost been a ten bagger since then as well.

The market is scary right now. The Buffet indicator is extremely high and I think its quite clear to anyone paying attention that a correction is coming. How long can stimulus money hold this off? I personally am moving more of my money into commodities. I have a feeling that an inflationary period is coming with all this money printing.

To be fair, 75% of all stocks have had a great return since April... China virus and all....🤷🏻‍♂️

Can anyone recommend a platform like ETrade or whatever else to get started in the market? I already have a very solid 401k and my father has been making a fortune in the market so I won’t be flying blind. Tia...
I started on E*TRADE because my stock plan at my last job was there. I really like it though. I’ve used a few different platforms and I like that interface the best

Reactions: litedawg1968

My guess is most of the online platforms are pretty similar. I have a Schwab account and have been pleased with it. I also have a robinhood but they don’t offer mutual funds. I basically use it about the same as I would sports bet.

Tasty Trade is easy and gives 100 stocks for free (~$200 value).

TOS is great for charting and paper trading.

Big fan of Motley Fool. Bought several of the stocks that you listed as well as Zoom. Sold most of them too soon but I’ll never complain about taking a profit. I pay $149 for Stock Advisor on Motley Fool. Anyone belong to any of their more expensive services and if so, what do you think?
I discovered the Motley Fool in May and in June I subscribed to their NextGen Supercycle service that is focused on 5G-related stocks. I bought into all of their recommendations and have seen excellent returns so far. I update the spreadsheet tracking my investments every month, and as of the end of November, my 5G portfolio is up 31% since I completely bought into my positions in July, beating the overall market by 13%. I really like their investment strategy and they do their due diligence and provide extensive research for every recommendation. There is one investment manager who is in charge of the service, and he provides video recorded Q&A sessions each month and will answer your questions any time in the discussion boards. The fee for the service is steep, but I have found it to be worth it so far. They recommend the fee to be no more than 2% of what you plan to invest, which falls in line with typical money management fees, so keep that in mind to determine whether or not a premium service will work for you. Hope that helps. Ask away if you have any more questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: dawgpowder

I use Schwab and Fidelity but love playing around in my Stash (up 38% this year) account. Only negative is waiting 3 or 4 days to get any funds from a stock sell

Long on GE since the price dropped more than 50% in March due to the Rona'. Accumulated on dips under $7 this summer and will now sit back. Not a flashy play, but a great value pick even @ the current price of $10.60.

Also long on CCL and AAL............

Last edited:
Reactions: mr fury
I hold Arkk. I’ll probably have it forever. Arkg is a monster. I have quite a bit (for a poor ga boy) of Teledoc from the livongo merger. Cathie has bought a ton of that recently. Hope she is right on that one. I ain’t selling.
Also have a lot of teladoc. Love the growth yoy. Very undervalued imo and obviously cathie agrees

Hey I bought 2 in April for $6800 it’s currently at $23,000

You can “Oh Boy “ all you want!

I've made more money on crypto than was even conceivable to me before 2018.

Buy ethereum and hang on.

It's magic if you've got balls of steel.

Reactions: policy dog
I discovered the Motley Fool in May and in June I subscribed to their NextGen Supercycle service that is focused on 5G-related stocks. I bought into all of their recommendations and have seen excellent returns so far. I update the spreadsheet tracking my investments every month, and as of the end of November, my 5G portfolio is up 31% since I completely bought into my positions in July, beating the overall market by 13%. I really like their investment strategy and they do their due diligence and provide extensive research for every recommendation. There is one investment manager who is in charge of the service, and he provides video recorded Q&A sessions each month and will answer your questions any time in the discussion boards. The fee for the service is steep, but I have found it to be worth it so far. They recommend the fee to be no more than 2% of what you plan to invest, which falls in line with typical money management fees, so keep that in mind to determine whether or not a premium service will work for you. Hope that helps. Ask away if you have any more questions.
Thanks for the information. If you don’t mind my asking, how much was that service? I’m up 58% YTD with the help of Motley Fool. That being said, 2020 is an unusual year. I don’t expect that in the future.

Thanks for the information. If you don’t mind my asking, how much was that service? I’m up 58% YTD with the help of Motley Fool. That being said, 2020 is an unusual year. I don’t expect that in the future.
I’ll DM you.

Good grief, we need a financial forum. Is The Vent about football or finance?

This thread scares the shit out of me ... too many bullish, short-term, day trading anecdotes. Of course, if you bought almost any equity in the spring (and held), it would be hard not to be killing it. Let’s reboot this thread in 10 years and compare overall returns (including Motley Fool recommendations) to a boring Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund during the same time horizon. Patience is a virtue when investing. It’s virtually impossible to successfully time the market or consistently beat the market over a long time period (5 years or more).

As the years have passed on by (and I’ve been investing for 35+ years), I realize more and more that I really don’t know jack or have any special investing powers - and believe me, I’ve tried all of the tricks, through multiple bull and bear market cycles. Be careful out there. More free advice - take it for what it’s worth.

I've made more money on crypto than was even conceivable to me before 2018.

Buy ethereum and hang on.

It's magic if you've got balls of steel.
Exactly.

I am taking my profits and buying another! It may hit $50k at the rate it’s going.

I will make $120k in less than a year on a $35k investment.

Reactions: phoenixdawg
I like to play macro trends. Renewable energy should be worth piggy backing on with the new administration in the White House. TAN and QCLN are ETFs that are good. They have done well for me the last couple of months.

I’ve been riding GBTC, Grayscale bitcoin trust.

Also holding MARA, which mines crypto. It’s been on fire.

As Silver mine stocks pull back, I buy in and swing trade those based off of support/resistance.

Reactions: policy dog
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT