ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone have internet options for rural areas?

BigDawgs2010

Letterman and National Champion
Oct 23, 2010
I have been using a company that uses TMobile tower with a sim in a 4glte router for my home internet. I've been getting decent speeds but now they are hamstringing us to under 300gb per month. My family of 5 uses a good bit more than that...I refuse to go with Hughes net. Any ideas are appreciated. I have a TMobile tower within half a mile of my house and get great att and verizon service too.

I have been using a company that uses TMobile tower with a sim in a 4glte router for my home internet. I've been getting decent speeds but now they are hamstringing us to under 300gb per month. My family of 5 uses a good bit more than that...I refuse to go with Hughes net. Any ideas are appreciated. I have a TMobile tower within half a mile of my house and get great att and verizon service too.

Verizon

CrippleCreek, you need the Haney Telephone Service. I’m sure they provide the interwebs too.

Maybe too obvious a question or maybe not possible... don't they offer a higher tier? Yes, you would have to pay for it if available.

In a few months you should be able to get Starlink which is SpaceX’s high speed satellite internet. They are promising speeds of over 1 gig. It is supposed to be to market by the end of the year.

Reactions: poochpup
We have Reliant, a Wilkes County product. Not sure you can get outside the county.

Isn't 5G supposed to fix the problem? We're getting a new Verizon tower. That should help a lot. I get one bar, when the wind is blowing in the right direction.

Reactions: poochpup
I’m on Viasat at my NC cabin.
Had to go to the top choice to get the needed speed.

Hooked big screen TV via Ethernet and Roku Ultra. Very pleased.

Hooked my PC during the day via Ethernet cable and it is a big difference. Still have delays with database manipulation because of the extra bandwidth security takes but am Overall pleased.

if you have a household full - it will Work ok but only if you connect the main tv directly via Ethernet.

I had Verizon wireless before and Viasat is much much better imo.
Even though Viasat browns out in a heavy downpour - it is still better than the Verizon. Verizon 4G is using the short wave spectrum and unless you have a clear line of sight - you are going to be disappointed imo. I put a 20’ Yagi antenna up as it had worked pretty good with 3G but even so - it was pitiful.

Additional note: Viasat works well enough that I excrement canned DirectTV and went Roku/YTTV with the. Same account as my Macon home. Since YTTV allows a second location - no additional TV service needed. Saved enough on the Direct TV to cover Viasat Gold plan entirely + $ left over.

oh year, we are doing VOIP as well and that works pretty good to.
Am going to add a Netgear router (Also Ethernet hook to a hub) to increase speed and range next year pending Starlink.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigDawgs2010
I’m on Viasat at my NC cabin.
Had to go to the top choice to get the needed speed.

Hooked big screen TV via Ethernet and Roku Ultra. Very pleased.

Hooked my PC during the day via Ethernet cable and it is a big difference. Still have delays with database manipulation because of the extra bandwidth security takes but am Overall pleased.

if you have a household full - it will Work ok but only if you connect the main tv directly via Ethernet.

I had Verizon wireless before and Viasat is much much better imo.
Even though Viasat browns out in a heavy downpour - it is still better than the Verizon. Verizon 4G is using the short wave spectrum and unless you have a clear line of sight - you are going to be disappointed imo. I put a 20’ Yagi antenna up as it had worked pretty good with 3G but even so - it was pitiful.

Additional note: Viasat works well enough that I excrement canned DirectTV and went Roku/YTTV with the. Same account as my Macon home. Since YTTV allows a second location - no additional TV service needed. Saved enough on the Direct TV to cover Viasat Gold plan entirely + $ left over.

oh year, we are doing VOIP as well and that works pretty good to.
Am going to add a Netgear router (Also Ethernet hook to a hub) to increase speed and range next year pending Starlink.

What speeds do you get with viasat?

Check these folks out. unlimitedleasing.com Pretty expensive but works well.

Reactions: BigDawgs2010
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT