ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg Cummins vs Duramax

• Thread starter anon_03j5dr7l9qs90
  • Start date
Awesome. I had 33” AT2’s on my 1500 and loved them. Smooth and quiet for the most part. Figured I’d shell out the money for the 3’s. What level kit did you use?

I had the stock AT2s that came on my 1500 Rebel and really liked how they drove on the highway. Nice smooth ride, quieter than some of the car tires I have had over the years... Just switched them out after 55,000 miles and went with the BF Goodrich KO2s. No real reason for the change... just heard a lot of good things about the KO2s over the years and finally decided to give them a try. As far as highway driving goes I'm a little happier with the KOs... both are relatively quiet but for some reason I just like how the KO2s take curves, but its so subtle that it could just be in my head. Still love the Toyo's though and just put a set of AT3s on my wife's Jeep two days ago.

I had the stock AT2s that came on my 1500 Rebel and really liked how they drove on the highway. Nice smooth ride, quieter than some of the car tires I have had over the years... Just switched them out after 55,000 miles and went with the BF Goodrich KO2s. No real reason for the change... just heard a lot of good things about the KO2s over the years and finally decided to give them a try. As far as highway driving goes I'm a little happier with the KOs... both are relatively quiet but for some reason I just like how the KO2s take curves, but its so subtle that it could just be in my head. Still love the Toyo's though and just put a set of AT3s on my wife's Jeep two days ago.
How would you compare the look of the AT3’s to the KO2’s?

Don’t worry about deletes on the newer diesels. Most places are no longer deleting these trucks do to EPA fines and it’s really expensive to delete and tune now. I’ve had both GMC and now own a Ram 2500. The Ram is deleted but I did that years ago when I had to replace the turbo. GM and Ford had issues with fuel systems also so be careful on which year model you purchase. Drive both trucks and base your opinion on comfort, luxury package and power. A lot depends on what you will be pulling. I pull a camper with mine and don’t know it’s behind it. Again it’s going to come down to what you think is the best fit for you.

Well from my understanding is that due to the emissions bs on there, it causes engines components to run too hot and causes diesel engines nowadays to not go 500k+ miles like they should.

I was told to think about how a hot fire smokes less.

Reactions: Rgltr450
Its a wash I think... both look good to me. Looks are the only thing I can compare at the moment with the AT3... As I mentioned we just got the AT3s on the jeep a couple of days ago and since its my wifes car I haven't even driven it yet.
I'd appreciate some good recon.

Reactions: BeachDawg
Nearest Wachovia. You're on the East Coast somewheres; I'm in SEMO, Missouri. Sooo....... Nashville, maybe.

I give you 10 hours, then I'm telling everybody I stomped your azz.
On a serious note my dad owned an F250 back in the day. He lived and died by that truck, it was a beast.

Reactions: SLC_Dawg
My 2018 f250 6.7 has been awesome! I don't think you can go wrong with any of the big three but I do know in 2018 when I was looking, the Dodge 2500 in the Fords XLT equivalent was no comparison. Ford took the to school in that trim package, at that time. A buddy of mine has a 2019 (I think) GMC 2500 and the glow plugs keep failing.

When buying a diesel, I would look hard at dealers who offer a lifetime powertrain warranty like Athens Ford. As long as you read the fine print, you are good. Other dealers have told me the warranty is no good but I still believe having a powertrain warranty is better than not having one. The dealers bashing Athens Ford's warranties did not offer any lifetime warranty.

My diesel mechanic (whom which I had to use with my 2004 dodge), said no matter what kind you get, the new ones still need to be deleted. I have not gotten mine deleted because it would be counterproductive and void my warranty. I just thought it was interesting that they still recommend being deleted.

The only thing I do not like about my f250 is the small fuel tank. 30 gallons is a joke.
If you delete no dealership should work on the truck. If you ever trade the truck in a dealership will not take a delete. A truck shop in Conyers or Covington got a pretty big fine. Diesel brothers in Utah had the same thing happen to them.

As for the warranty if you worried about it get your maintenance work done at the dealership. They will be more inclined to cover it. If you have a mechanic make sure they keep good service records. If something goes sideways reach out to the OE’s district service manager. 9/10 they will offer some assistance.

If it was the early to mid 90s it was probably the 7.2 liter produced by International. The 444 was one of the best preemission engines.

*7.3 but yes great engine. The 6.0 and the 6.4 were junk unless you were extremely lucky or bullet proofed them. They got it right with the 6.7l though.

Reactions: Dawg31768
If you delete no dealership should work on the truck. If you ever trade the truck in a dealership will not take a delete. A truck shop in Conyers or Covington got a pretty big fine. Diesel brothers in Utah had the same thing happen to them.

As for the warranty if you worried about it get your maintenance work done at the dealership. They will be more inclined to cover it. If you have a mechanic make sure they keep good service records. If something goes sideways reach out to the OE’s district service manager. 9/10 they will offer some assistance.

Oh yeah, I'm not suggesting getting it deleted. Im just saying for optimal life and performance it needs it. I won't be doing mine. Yeah I always get it serviced at the dealer but they would service it it was deleted also as we don't have emissions in north ga.

I get mine serviced every 5k so they have no reason to turn down anything.

Reactions: Dawg31768
I just got a GMC 1500 with the diesel engine and was getting almost 30 miles to the gallon on the drive home, so I was pretty excited aboit
I bought a Silverado 1500 with the w Duramax in December. I traded it today. Have had nothing but check engine lights for 4 months now.

I bought a new Silverado 1500 in December with the new 3.0 L duramax. Traded it today. Constant check engine lights for the last 4 months. Could not wait to dump that thing. First 2 or so months I loved it. I hope you have better luck with yours

Reactions: scottmac1972

this is false. I traded in my 2012 f250 deleted 2 years ago.

Akins Ford never batted an eye or asked any questions.

I have also heard about electrical issues with Dodges but not sure it it’s widespread. I also hear people say they love them
Two of my buddies had there trucks back at dodge down hear In south Florida within 25k miles for electrical issues, truck would lose power then flash back on stereo would stop working or just freeze a screen and the other truck had actual electrical issues with the transmission cpu both still claim to love the trucks though so kudos to that. I have a 2002 f350 lariat LE 7.3 with 370k that still runs great today an I also love my duramax

Reactions: kubi13
I have also heard about electrical issues with Dodges but not sure it it’s widespread. I also hear people say they love them
Buddy just brought a Long Horn Laramie by the house on 37’s. It’s a bad ass ride.

Reactions: kubi13
Looking at a new diesel. Always been a Chevy guy but I know Cummins is hard to beat. Who has owned one or the other or possibly both? What are the pros and cons to each?
Welp, after reading through this thread I’ll be having nightmares of my 6.4 that I didn’t even own a year and put my ass into $10,000 of debt (If you know you know.).

Next thing I knew I was driving around a 2006 Honda Ridgeline…but that thing served it’s purpose of not giving me a single problem for 3 years while I figured out life.

Now I’ve got a 2021 6 speed manual TRD Pro Lunar Rock Tacoma. I’m obsessed with it.

I had KO2s on my old F-150 and they were done after about 20,000 miles. And I mean almost completely bald. Went with Ridge Grapplers and never looked back. Have a buddy who puts the Ridge Grapplers on all his stuff too now. In fact he has them on his F-250. Aggressive looking tire, there’s highway noise but the ride is so much better. Not a great rain tire like most A/Ts but was happy with them.

It’s a shame that they seemed to have switched the compound for the KO2s, same buddy had a pair of the original KOs and they lasted him 80,000 miles.

When I leveled my truck I also opted for the Billstein 5100s since the struts were adjustable, so I was able to level the truck without needing spacers.

Reactions: BeachDawg
I bought a new Silverado 1500 in December with the new 3.0 L duramax. Traded it today. Constant check engine lights for the last 4 months. Could not wait to dump that thing. First 2 or so months I loved it. I hope you have better luck with yours
Well I am only a week in, so I will keep my fingers crossed. I did a lot of research though before going diesel, and most of the info I read said the Duramax was a solid engine in the 1500s. I guess I have to hope you are the exception and not the rule.

And yeah, so far I LOVE this truck

Reactions: anon_03j5dr7l9qs90
I had KO2s on my old F-150 and they were done after about 20,000 miles. And I mean almost completely bald. Went with Ridge Grapplers and never looked back. Have a buddy who puts the Ridge Grapplers on all his stuff too now. In fact he has them on his F-250. Aggressive looking tire, there’s highway noise but the ride is so much better. Not a great rain tire like most A/Ts but was happy with them.

It’s a shame that they seemed to have switched the compound for the KO2s, same buddy had a pair of the original KOs and they lasted him 80,000 miles.

When I leveled my truck I also opted for the Billstein 5100s since the struts were adjustable, so I was able to level the truck without needing spacers.

We'll see how things go on mine. I'll put 20,000 miles on them in the first year since I have a hour long commute to work and back each day, plus its the vehicle my family piles into for everything else from dinner out to vacation trips because of the size. So it won't take long for a comparison.

Despite having the off-road package RAM Rebel and the A/T tires 95% of my driving is still on the highway. The off road capabilities and extra ground clearance come in handy almost weekly on our farm and on the various camping and fishing trips we take each year, but just due to the long commute I have each day and the other driving activities I mentioned above highway driving will always dominate my time on the tires. That seems to have helped the longevity of them, along with the fact that I religiously rotate them on schedule and other recommended maintenance. I'll try to remember this thread and report back after 20,000 miles or so and see how they're doing.

2017 Denali 2500 here. Did alot of research on these trucks and it boiled down to the transmission for me. No doubt the cummins is a great motor but the trannies are suspect enough for Dodge to offer the heavy duty Aisen transmission for a couple of years (previously only available in 4500 series). Not sure if they are available now in the 2500/3500. The Duramax L5P motor has enough power and torque to handle anything I'm gonna pull especially when it is putting through the Allison. Besides, the Duramax has better resale value if that matters to you. I bought mine right 3 years ago and I can still get what I paid for it. Believe it or not.

2017 Denali 2500 here. Did alot of research on these trucks and it boiled down to the transmission for me. No doubt the cummins is a great motor but the trannies are suspect enough for Dodge to offer the heavy duty Aisen transmission for a couple of years (previously only available in 4500 series). Not sure if they are available now in the 2500/3500. The Duramax L5P motor has enough power and torque to handle anything I'm gonna pull especially when it is putting through the Allison. Besides, the Duramax has better resale value if that matters to you. I bought mine right 3 years ago and I can still get what I paid for it. Believe it or not.
Additionally, the Dodge's have a solid front axle - allows for more towing capability but gives a bitch of a ride. GMS/Chevy has an independent front suspension and then ride is excellent. I have heard many say that the Chevy is the best ride out their for HD trucks.

I can believe it, I bought my brand new 1500 for way less then what I would have paid for a used version with 15K in mileage. Used vehicle prices right now are bonkers.

Reactions: Bigmongo-dawg
Additionally, the Dodge's have a solid front axle - allows for more towing capability but gives a bitch of a ride. GMS/Chevy has an independent front suspension and then ride is excellent. I have heard many say that the Chevy is the best ride out their for HD trucks.
Yes, you can get the Aisen transmission in the 3500. You can also get air suspension that supposedly gives it the best ride in its class.

If I were to buy a new one, I’d get both of these options. I enjoy having no truck payment so I’ll stick with what I have for now.

Anybody got any Ram Laramie testimony’s? These new Rams are pulling at my heart strings.

Anybody got any Ram Laramie testimony’s? These new Rams are pulling at my heart strings.
I have the previous generation Ram Laramie Longhorn and I love it. I get lots of compliments on it. 93k miles and going strong.

Is there still no way to add a pic straight from your phone?

I know the Allison and Aisens are good but I haven't heard of many problems at all on the Fords transmissions. I don't have the 10 speed though. I've heard good things about that one too though.

I know this is a dodge/Duramax discussion. Just thought I'd add.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT