ADVERTISEMENT

Further evidence of how far left UGA has become

This is a coordinated effort from the Communist left wing radicals who are teaching these idiots to disrespect anything that has anything to do with freedom.
True but the university needs to ensure they are providing the venue and security for all voices to be heard. Quashing a group's right to assemble and listen to a speaker is trashing a basic tenet of liberty and a college campus is the last place it should happen.

Last edited:
True but the university needs to ensure they are providing the venue and security for all voices to be heard. Quashing a group's right to assemble and listen to a speaker is trashing a basic tenet of liberty and a college campus is the last place it should happen.
That shows me what is happening to all of our universities. These professors have gone radical left. Something should be done to stop them and their followers from doing this. They should be fired and their followers should be kicked out of school.

I personally witnessed William Shockley (google him, if you don't know who he was) "deplatformed" in the Spring of 1974.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dawgdocindosta
I personally witnessed William Shockley (google him, if you don't know who he is) "deplatformed" in the Spring of 1974.
Both sides have tried to burn the books they didn't want to try to refute. That doesn't make it right and I would hope that in a university setting his views would have been challenged instead of silenced.

I personally witnessed William Shockley (google him, if you don't know who he is) "deplatformed" in the Spring of 1974.
If I am getting the right answers from Gaggle, this was do to his support for eugenics and making claims that blacks were inferior to whites? I mean this was only 30 years after Hitler and right after the civil rights movement. And I don't think the left or right was lining up to support his point of view.

I support free speech, but his views were at odds with society then as much as they are now. He was an extremist in any decade and thus not quite a direct comparison to today where the liberal side of the political aisle shuts down the other side for simply expressing conservative policy positions. Similar, but different.

If I am getting the right answers from Gaggle, this was do to his support for eugenics and making claims that blacks were inferior to whites? I mean this was only 30 years after Hitler and right after the civil rights movement. And I don't think the left or right was lining up to support his point of view.

I support free speech, but his views were at odds with society then as much as they are now. He was an extremist in any decade and thus not quite a direct comparison to today where the liberal side of the political aisle shuts down the other side for simply expressing conservative policy positions. Similar, but different.
No one is arguing to support Shockley's views, and my opinion is that they are "extremist" by almost anyone's definition of the word (including mine, FWIW). But if it is OK to deplatform "extremist" views, but not those that are simply "controversial", who gets to draw that line?

Based on what I am reading about the Collins situation, those who deplatformed him would probably argue that his views are "extremist".

Last edited:
Reactions: TivoliDawg

Imo the best way to handle extremist views is to confront them, not to silence them. Not to long ago we were silencing people that said crazy things like Covid may have originated in a lab or healthy teens didn't need the jab.

Last edited:
No one is arguing to support Shockley's views, and my opinion is that they are "extremist" by almost anyone's definition of the word (including mine, FWIW). But if it is OK to deplatform "extremist" views, but not those that are simply "controversial", who gets to draw that line?

Based on what I am reading about the Collins situation, those who deplatformed him would probably argue that his views are "extremist".
I wasn't being critical or saying you were defending him. I just see the views of Shockley v Collins as pretty different.

I am sure the libs think that his views are extreme, but I don’t think what Collins says and believes today is in the same universe as Shockley’s views were 50 years ago. Shockley's views were abhorrent and Collins views are not even controversial in society, just to the fringe leftists.

50 years ago I would assume the admin shut down his talk? Not taking sides here, but if that was the case, at least the university took a stand (right or wrong), but today they remain silent and let the mob rule. Neither is the answer to allowing free speech, but mob rule is inferior to actual leadership.

I wasn't being critical or saying you were defending him. I just see the views of Shockley v Collins as pretty different.

I am sure the libs think that his views are extreme, but I don’t think what Collins says and believes today is in the same universe as Shockley’s views were 50 years ago. Shockley's views were abhorrent and Collins views are not even controversial in society, just to the fringe leftists.

50 years ago I would assume the admin shut down his talk? Not taking sides here, but if that was the case, at least the university took a stand (right or wrong), but today they remain silent and let the mob rule. Neither is the answer to allowing free speech, but mob rule is inferior to actual leadership.
No, the admin did not shut down his talk. He took the stage at the P-J auditorium and was shouted down. One student leader took the stage and pleaded for everyone to allow him to speak (no matter how much they disagreed with his POV) , basically echoing what others have said in this thread. Shockley finally gave up after about 45 minutes or so and left.

Several University police officers were there to provide general security, so that things didn't get out of hand.

Several of us had been tossing a football around in Reed Quad, heard the commotion and went over to see what was going on.

I have forgotten who. specifically, invited him there.

I wonder if any of our friends were in the crowd?

Here is my take, I don't think there should be political speech on campus without opposing view points or presenters. So there is a counter balance for every political debate and this allowing the public can get a better understanding of the topics.

And that’s what the Dems call their democracy.

The only views that need protecting are extremist views. Mainstream views don’t need protecting.

If blacks are as smart as whites and Asians, then let’s debate that. Both sides can bring their supporting evidence.

Reactions: Athens is Heaven
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT