ADVERTISEMENT

Georgia is re-opening...

the American people as a whole should not give two f$@cks if every single oil job was lost. Oil jobs are something minuscule like 150,000 of the entire workforce. To even think about them as an important component of the economy is ridiculous. Of course, the capital and ownership of oil does add up to a lot, but it’s generally concentrated in the hands of a small percentage of the population who are owed absolutely nothing in terms of a safety net. That is how capitalism works.

of course, almost every American consumer and business uses gas and gasoline for a lot of things in their lives and benefit from lower prices. The fact that we would try to create policyl that benefits anyone in the oil industry is the height of stupidity. The Only scenario is a tariff that Americans pay when oil falls below threshold levels that could be used to fund renewable sources for the future. Anything else reflects corruption or stupidity.
About as ignorant and uninformed as it gets right here.

South Carolina just cancelled school for the remainder of the year. It was due to be done in June.

Reactions: ugafish
The fish dude and Tulsa need to move to Cuba. Govt will take care of you there and you won’t have to tolerate Trump.

Being an “anti government helping people” person, If Covid destroyed your business, what would you depend on to support yourself?

Oh, and this:

There’s a possibility that the assault of the virus on our nation next winter will actually be even more difficult than the one we just went through,” CDC Director Robert Redfield told the Washington Post in an interview.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-winter-idUSKCN2233E8

Being an “anti government helping people” person, If Covid destroyed your business, what would you depend on to support yourself?

Oh, and this:

There’s a possibility that the assault of the virus on our nation next winter will actually be even more difficult than the one we just went through,” CDC Director Robert Redfield told the Washington Post in an interview.

Well of course that is possible. It is possible this is seasonal. It is possible it has been for 6 months or longer and herd immunity has already taken place. But let's say that is the case and we have an even more severe outbreak in the winter. Let's say that results in 100,000 deaths.

Do you want to shut the country down again over that?

Reactions: JohnnyBeeDawg
It's a flat curve folks....

3xl3i8.jpg
You realize that is not the purpose of "flattening the curve", right?

It is pretty amazing how far we have moved the goal posts.

You realize that is not the purpose of "flattening the curve", right?

It is pretty amazing how far we have moved the goal posts.

Yep - the point of flattening the curve was to prevent over-burdening of hospitals and healthcare providers - not to make cases plunge to zero. In fact if you go back and look at what epidemiologists have said, the point of flattening the curve was not to reduce cases, but to spread them out so that healthcare systems didn't get overwhelmed and we had the time to ramp up supply production to meet additional spikes in cases.

That seems to have been quickly forgotten.

Yep - the point of flattening the curve was to prevent over-burdening of hospitals and healthcare providers - not to make cases plunge to zero. In fact if you go back and look at what epidemiologists have said, the point of flattening the curve was not to reduce cases, but to spread them out so that healthcare systems didn't get overwhelmed and we had the time to ramp up supply production to meet additional spikes in cases.

That seems to have been quickly forgotten.
Yeah - now we are talking about peaks and testing - none of which has anything to do with why we took the extraordinary measure of shutting down our economy.

The only question is whether we run the risk of overrunning health care systems and we never got anywhere close - 8,200 beds and we maxed out at 1,600.

I don't know where you get your data, but according the BLS, which provides employment statistics in the US, the Oil and Gas extraction subsector employed 158,000 people (if you can forgive me for rounding down, I can forgive you for overestimating O&G employment by a factor of 60).

https://www.bls.gov/iag/tgs/iag211.htm
That is the “extraction” subsector not all O&G employment

Colorado is opening also. You don’t hear their governor on tv having to defend his decision. I know that is not because he is a democrat.
I think the issue (other than there being a R by his name) is the nail and hair salons. Ignoring for the moment whether you think anything should be closed, if you’re going to open things up slowly I would not think salons would be in the first group. That seems to be what has caught the ire of some around the country. Plus, I noticed AJC selectively cherry picked 6 ATL restauranteurs who I have never heard of who claim they’re not going to open on Monday because they’re not ready. These ppl criticized Kemp which of course is the reason why AJC quoted them for their article.

Reactions: JudgeLarryDawg
I don't know where you get your data, but according the BLS, which provides employment statistics in the US, the Oil and Gas extraction subsector employed 158,000 people (if you can forgive me for rounding down, I can forgive you for overestimating O&G employment by a factor of 60).

https://www.bls.gov/iag/tgs/iag211.htm
Im talking abot total employment in the petroleum business, not just oil extraction.

I think the issue (other than there being a R by his name) is the nail and hair salons. Ignoring for the moment whether you think anything should be closed, if you’re going to open things up slowly I would not think salons would be in the first group. That seems to be what has caught the ire of some around the country. Plus, I noticed AJC selectively cherry picked 6 ATL restauranteurs who I have never heard of who claim they’re not going to open on Monday because they’re not ready. These ppl criticized Kemp which of course is the reason why AJC quoted them for their article.
Yep - One of the state’s largest restaurant groups is opening Monday - or trying to.

it is ok that many aren’t ready, it is ok that many won’t, but if nothing more than to start breaking through the irrational fear that has built up we must start the process. What other choice do we have? Nothing is significantly changing in 2 weeks. We won’t have a vaccine nor will we have 300,000,000 tests.

Well of course that is possible. It is possible this is seasonal. It is possible it has been for 6 months or longer and herd immunity has already taken place. But let's say that is the case and we have an even more severe outbreak in the winter. Let's say that results in 100,000 deaths.

Do you want to shut the country down again over that?
Answer your own question, are we still trying to get over this virus or has it turned into the best thing to use against Trump.

I would assume that's based on meeting the guidelines set by the WH Task Force. I don't see where Georgia will be doing the testing that Dr. Fauci was contemplating so hopefully it won't be to bad.

Why is the quack Fauci your go-to guy? He thinks we should never again shake hands but is ok with choosing to hook up on tinder. That's what 50 years as a government bureaucrat does to a person

Im talking abot total employment in the petroleum business, not just oil extraction.

I don't want to get into a perfect account of all the petroleum related jobs and trying to parse out which are affected by upstream vs. downstream issues. I am reasonably confident that you can't get anywhere close to the 9 million figure that would be permanent impacted by the complete elimination of the exploration and production industry.

For example, refineries are more affected by the overall consumption of oil than the price of it. I don't know where pipelines fit in. Retail gasoline is probably closer to refineries in that its tied to volume and doesn't matter where the source it.

The bottom line is that the dividend to america from lower oil prices is worth way more than the capital and jobs in the industry. The investors who provided the capital to the petroleum industry are entitled to NOTHING from the American taxpayer unless it is something like PPP where the intent is to flow to the employees. The notion that we would promote policies that would enable Saudi Arabia and Russia to earn more money than the market price of oil would otherwise dictate is too stupid for words.

Reactions: Kylo Ren
Yep. We have been at this so long people forgot what we were trying to do in the first place.

well a big reason is the media.. the media has changed their story and talking points.. so the sheep usually fall in line with that.

I don't want to get into a perfect account of all the petroleum related jobs and trying to parse out which are affected by upstream vs. downstream issues. I am reasonably confident that you can't get anywhere close to the 9 million figure that would be permanent impacted by the complete elimination of the exploration and production industry.

For example, refineries are more affected by the overall consumption of oil than the price of it. I don't know where pipelines fit in. Retail gasoline is probably closer to refineries in that its tied to volume and doesn't matter where the source it.

The bottom line is that the dividend to america from lower oil prices is worth way more than the capital and jobs in the industry. The investors who provided the capital to the petroleum industry are entitled to NOTHING from the American taxpayer unless it is something like PPP where the intent is to flow to the employees. The notion that we would promote policies that would enable Saudi Arabia and Russia to earn more money than the market price of oil would otherwise dictate is too stupid for words.
You just said a lot, to say nothing.

You just said a lot, to say nothing.

And you employ random statistics that have no basis in reality, which suggests you haven't a clue what you are talking about, which is borne out simple google searches.

Even your "I meant the petroleum" industry point is off by a factor of 3, and includes industry sub sectors that would not be impacted by US E&P.

https://www.usenergyjobs.org/2019-report

Reactions: celticdawg
And you employ random statistics that have no basis in reality, which suggests you haven't a clue what you are talking about, which is borne out simple google searches.

Even your "I meant the petroleum" industry point is off by a factor of 3, and includes industry sub sectors that would not be impacted by US E&P.

https://www.usenergyjobs.org/2019-report
Damn, you're doing it again.

Reactions: JohnnyBeeDawg

Oh, and this:

The CDC has been wrong the entire time. How the hell does this man know what this thing will do 6 months from now? Please tell me you don't trust what he says about something that far out?

The CDC has been wrong the entire time. How the hell does this man know what this thing will do 6 months from now? Please tell me you don't trust what he says about something that far out?

Some people have a better understanding of virology than others.

This has already been far worse than all of you “just the flu” guys imagined, so y’all have been wrong the entire time too.

Reactions: celticdawg
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT