ADVERTISEMENT

I'm for Student Debt Relief

But it should be the colleges/universities that help them. They were the ones who ripped them off on highly inflated tuition fees over the decades.

But saying that, my stepdaughter who is up to her neck in student debt, sure partied a lot on those student loans while in school.
I have an acquaintance who was once America’s #1 borrower of student loans. He made the front page of USA Today, a Life Chiropractic student. He bought a sailboat.

But it should be the colleges/universities that help them. They were the ones who ripped them off on highly inflated tuition fees over the decades.

But saying that, my stepdaughter who is up to her neck in student debt, sure partied a lot on those student loans while in school.
The stupid cost of tuition all a result of the same thing and gets back to those government sponsored student loans. If you put a ton of cash in the pockets of students, they can afford higher tuition, the colleges can overpay professors and administrators (aka academics whose side are they on?). What is the average college professor salary? Administrator? What was it 20 years ago?

So now I should pay for her. Hell no.

The stupid cost of tuition all a result of the same thing and gets back to those government sponsored student loans. If you put a ton of cash in the pockets of students, they can afford higher tuition, the colleges can overpay professors and administrators (aka academics whose side are they on?). What is the average college professor salary? Administrator? What was it 20 years ago?

Not out of line with their education level and what the universities pull in.

"Over the last decade, shifts in the average college professor salary in the U.S. have been minimal. Between the 2021-22 and 2022-23 academic years, the increase in average professor salaries was just 4% for all professor ranks at all institution types.

When adjusted for inflation, however, this shift actually represented a decrease — the third such dip in professors' salaries since recovering from the Great Recession. Prior to 2020, salaries had risen in the 3% range year over year for the past 10 years.

The stagnant nature of professor pay is surprising when compared with the rising tuition costs and increased pay for top executives at universities. In the last decade, college tuition has increased by approximately 46% while presidential salaries have risen beyond most experts' ability to track their rise."

Denzel Washington GIF

Reactions: Athens is Heaven
Not out of line with their education level and what the universities pull in.

"Over the last decade, shifts in the average college professor salary in the U.S. have been minimal. Between the 2021-22 and 2022-23 academic years, the increase in average professor salaries was just 4% for all professor ranks at all institution types.

When adjusted for inflation, however, this shift actually represented a decrease — the third such dip in professors' salaries since recovering from the Great Recession. Prior to 2020, salaries had risen in the 3% range year over year for the past 10 years.

The stagnant nature of professor pay is surprising when compared with the rising tuition costs and increased pay for top executives at universities. In the last decade, college tuition has increased by approximately 46% while presidential salaries have risen beyond most experts' ability to track their rise."

You made my point. The amount colleges bring in is directly related to tuition amounts, which have almost doubled since 2000. Curious what average college professor salaries have done over that timeframe.

In and of itself I don’t have a problem with it. The problem is that US government subsidized loan programs (the taxpayer) has juiced all of it. Can’t say the same thing about private enterprise to the extent that company values and salaries have increased.

And if the bullshit we are seeing at the Ivy’s filtering into State U’s are what we are getting for our “investment” in these programs, count me out, just like the major Harvard donors publicly pulling out.

Universities seemed to be doing better when administrators and professors made less.

Then you tell me what they were saying.
"it should be the colleges/universities that help them. They were the ones who ripped them off on highly inflated tuition fees over the decades."

"But saying that, my stepdaughter who is up to her neck in student debt, sure partied a lot on those student loans while in school."

I never said you should pay for her partying. I was implying it is also her responsibility to pay back her "bar tab" that was part of that "student" loan.

Then you tell me what they were saying.
He’s saying that the universities bear the cost of paying the debt not the tax payer.

The universities have billions of cash on hand given to them by the tax payer either directly or indirectly via grants.

OP is saying use that cash to pay the debt not increase taxes on the existing tax payers.

He’s saying that the universities bear the cost of paying the debt not the tax payer.

The universities have billions of cash on hand given to them by the tax payer either directly or indirectly via grants.

OP is saying use that cash to pay the debt not increase taxes on the existing tax payers.
Would have to get consent from every donor that expected their contribution to go towards libraries, buildings, and shit. You think donors will donate knowing their money will go to retire debt of those that couldn’t pay their loans back? Maybe didn’t graduate at all? Doubtful at best. Call it what it is. An insulting handout to try and buy votes from a specific demographic. A miscalculation in my opinion. They’ve lost the blue collar middle class. This won’t help.

Would have to get consent from every donor that expected their contribution to go towards libraries, buildings, and shit. You think donors will donate knowing their money will go to retire debt of those that couldn’t pay their loans back? Maybe didn’t graduate at all? Doubtful at best. Call it what it is. An insulting handout to try and buy votes from a specific demographic. A miscalculation in my opinion. They’ve lost the blue collar middle class. This won’t help.
Why would we care if donors donate to left wing institutions?

It would be a great thing if republicans taught leftist the lesson that if they give money to their cause we are just going to take it and use it for right wing interests.

Mandate two years military service and provide college tuition.

There is not enough taxes that can be raised to pay college tuition.

Mandate two years military service and provide college tuition.

There is not enough taxes that can be raised to pay college tuition.
I used GI bill to help me in the early70s. It didn’t pay much but every little bit helps. Also college kids were eligible for food stamps, but then eligible food products was very restricted in grocery stores.

Same thing with healthcare costs. As long as insurers reimburse what they are charging without pushing back it incentivizes the providers to keep increasing those costs, which leads to higher premiums to keep the cycle going.

What would happened to the the price of tuition if the federal govt got out of the student loan business.
That’s what needs to happen. Shut down the Department of Education altogether and let the states handle the education of their own students. And let private institutions like banks handle student loans.

I am not for student debt relief.

1) The 2/3 of the country who didn’t go to college should not have to pay for the 1/3 that did.

2) the idea that it’s someone lede’s fault that you bought something and overpaid is everything that is wrong with our younger generations. If they always wait for someone else to bail them out, who will fight our wars? From where will our warriors come?

3) Biden wouldn’t even offer it if he were ahead in the polls. Democrats don’t go campaigning, they go auctioneering.

I am not for student debt relief.

1) The 2/3 of the country who didn’t go to college should not have to pay for the 1/3 that did.

2) the idea that it’s someone lede’s fault that you bought something and overpaid is everything that is wrong with our younger generations. If they always wait for someone else to bail them out, who will fight our wars? From where will our warriors come?

3) Biden wouldn’t even offer it if he were ahead in the polls. Democrats don’t go campaigning, they go auctioneering.
Dems are dumb idiots.

Where I come from, debt relief happens when you pay off your own damn loans!

You don't pay for Public High School why pay for college? When I went to UGA tuition, books, dorm and a 2 meal ticket were $2,650 a year in today's dollars.
I don't know why our Legislature doesn't think our state colleges should be free for everyone to improve our students future.

You don't pay for Public High School why pay for college? When I went to UGA tuition, books, dorm and a 2 meal ticket were $2,650 a year in today's dollars.
I don't know why our Legislature doesn't think our state colleges should be free for everyone to improve our students future.
Man you sound like Stalin. People have a choice whether to go to college or not. You want the government to give you everything. People like you need to get off your ass and get a job.

A big portion comes from property tax that people pay at the end of the year, including myself. Then you have local, state and federal taxes.

In other words, it ain’t free.

To make college free, you would have to just pay more tax. I don’t want it, if someone wants their kid/s to go to college……they can pay for it or pay for themselves to go. I certainly don’t want to share in the expense.

Now if this system was used from day 1 ( (free college), this might be a different conversation.

Just got through sending two through (paid as they went), also worked and sent myself through with no help…,.wife was lucky with partial athletic scholarship and her parents paid the rest.

Nothing is free….

Last edited:

I am a tax payer not a tuition payer for someone else’s kid. It is not the tax payer job to help your kid go to college.

I'd rather all student debt be paid off than that troll Zelensky get anymore American money to usher us closer to WW3 than we already are

How about no funds for either.
America gonna steal from current and future Americans to give hundreds of billions away either way. Would rather it go to helping Americans financially than getting us closer to world war

We are the guy who drains their kids college funds to donate money to those starving kids in Africa tv ad campaigns

Last edited:
America gonna steal from current and future Americans to give hundreds of billions away either way. Would rather it go to helping Americans financially than getting us closer to world war

We are the guy who drains their kids college funds to donate money to those starving kids in Africa tv ad campaigns
It’s all about buying the votes of these college kids who took out loans. They are screwing us, so a big no for me. It was ruled illegal and unconstitutional by the Supreme Court, so there’s that as well.

It’s all about buying the votes of these college kids who took out loans. They are screwing us, so a big no for me. It was ruled illegal and unconstitutional by the Supreme Court, so there’s that as well.
Again, if we going to give it away anyways, always give it to Americans. They should rule funding Ukraine unconstitutional too

Reactions: OriginalGatorHator

Unless there is some sort of fraud, no one should pay anyone's debt. The student took this loan believing the return on investment would be worth it. Unless people start seeing how overvalued they are this will just continue.

Again, if we going to give it away anyways, always give it to Americans. They should rule funding Ukraine unconstitutional too
If they had loans forgiven they should be ineligible for any future student loans for life. AOC suggested those who have had their loans forgiven would then be able to afford returning to school. lol

I agree with that, but my thought is to stop all money handouts. This gen z generation already has a sense of entitlement unlike any other before. Let them learn about life so they can toughen up, before the real tough things hit them.

If they had loans forgiven they should be ineligible for any future student loans for life.
I'd be in favor of that. & Regarding AOC, she's hot but she's nothing more than a showman & a pawn for the far left

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT