ADVERTISEMENT

Monty Rice..

Yeah, but it is mainly political and thus belongs on the Chat. Look at the responses so far. And some of the topics on the Chat get far more eyeballs thane ones here.
I think it is more than political when our football coach has been preaching tolerance, understanding and discussion.

As for placement, I’d like to see it stay here as a lot of folks I respect on here won’t go to the chat. At some point I think we need to allow politics to enter a relevant discussion about our team and it’s players and coaches. It’s a huge deal and should be allowed an exception in an instance like this one.

Would of been easier if he would of just picked up the phone and voiced his concern with HW34. I am sure someone in BM has his cell.

Reactions: doug518
Just because you voice your opinion doesn't make it right. Also if you want to voice your opin
he has a right to speak up (as you said he could have disagreed with respect, but he didn't not to) and others have a right to speak up regarding his comment and give him their feedback..

I think that is were communication and understanding are lacking. You are free to state your opinion in America but that doesn't mean i can't state my opinion about your opinion or even worse state facts disproving your opinion.

It happens in leadership all the time. You may be doing the best thing but you can't please everyone all the time. Heavy is the head that wears the crown. If you want to be a thought leader don't complain about criticism of your ideas.

The problem with the original post was the derogatory name he attached to it. That's bad enough. The problem with this statement is that Monty doesn't seem to understand that the "Bs" that he is speaking up against was another human being expressing his opinion - which he has every right to do. Add in the fact that that other human being happens to be a living legend for the school / program that he plays for and it's just not a good look for him.

I've said it on this forum but it's even MORE important in the public forum of social media, you can disagree without being disagreeable. There's no need to be disrespectful just because someone holds a different opinion than yours.

He's not getting backlash for any political viewpoint or speaking out - he's getting backlash for posting a screenshot of Herschel speaking at the RNC with a banner of a racial slur above it (presumably because he takes issue with HW speaking about his own political viewpoint - how ironic).

Monty needs to grow up. He's getting a lesson in being an adult in the real world right now, so maybe he will.

Wow i wonder how he would have phrased his response to Herschel's face? Herschel isn't just the greatest UGA player ever, imho he is the best college running back ever. Even if you disagree Monty could have been more respectful with his disagreement.

I sympathize with Monty Rice and I understand how hurt he and I'm sure many other African American athletes that represent UGA felt by Hershel Walker's cameo on the RNC.

Funny the double standard for some on twitter.

I don't follow. Is there some code that I don't know about that says African American athletes at UGA have to oppose the RNC? Is it expected that all AA athletes think alike and follow the same ideologies? Why would someone be hurt by another person disagreeing with them?

Yeah it still goes on there, they’re just skipping the usual terms. Honestly don’t know why you guys let the chat continue. IMO, it significantly devalues what this website used to be
And I get emails all the time complaining we don't let folks talk enough politics. Damned if we do, damned if we don't. The Chat can be and usually is a good place. The bad actors are being cast out and will continue to be.

I think that is were communication and understanding are lacking. You are free to state your opinion in America but that doesn't mean i can't state my opinion about your opinion or even worse state facts disproving your opinion.

It happens in leadership all the time. You may be doing the best thing but you can't please everyone all the time. Heavy is the head that wears the crown. If you want to be a thought leader don't complain about criticism of your ideas.

Also the more extreme you voice your opinion you are going to get stronger pushback.. If monty had said he disagreed with Herschel and why then he would have gotten some pushback, but it wouldn't been the same thing. When you post a picture of a person and use a racist term to attack that person just because you don't agree with his politics or his views that shows a great amount of immaturity. It also says a lot about the person who believes that is an acceptable way to react to someone else he or she disagrees with. Monty needs to grow up IMO and learn the right way to disagree. Also he needs to get a thicker skin because if you are willing to be that disrespectful to someone else you can't turn around and cry about getting negative pushback on your actions.

100% Agree with the leadership comment..

I'm confused. Was there more to this than what I'm seeing in that tweet? Because he's not wrong in the tweet I'm seeing.

So because HW has his own personal opinion about politics he hurt the black community?

Absolutely not, but I can understand how that could have hurt many in that community. Unfortunately my last post was deleted but I said I sympathize with Monty and understand how Hershel Walkers cameo could have been hurtful.

And if you cant understand that then its people like you who are the problem in our society.

I mean speaking up about playing is specifically what you are there to do, it's your "expertise" so to speak the other is not at all. That's enough of a distinction to me. Of course he has the right to say whatever he wants but the majority are going to take his opinion on playing football more seriously than his opinion on politics.

Absolutely not, but I can understand how that could have hurt many in that community. Unfortunately my last post was deleted but I said I sympathize with Monty and understand how Hershel Walkers cameo could have been hurtful.

And if you cant understand that then its people like you who are the problem in our society.
So I am the problem in society because I don't understand your point? OK

Wait, what? You just contradicted yourself. No idea

Time to call in Herschel and ask any players who have a problem with him to say it to his face. Would be a tremendous learning experience.
Hang on, just so I'm following, physical domination should rule here? So because Herschel at the age of 58 could potentially go toe-to-toe with any current player in a fight that means he's automatically right & those who might have a problem with something he's said are automatically wrong?

I think its perfectly acceptable for current players to disagree in principle with something any former player might say publicly, regardless of who that former player might be.

"That community" saw the lowest unemployment rates among them (pre-COVID) than ever before. I'm not following you.

What is hurtful about progress?

Hang on, just so I'm following, physical domination should rule here? So because Herschel at the age of 58 could potentially go toe-to-toe with any current player in a fight that means he's automatically right & those who might have a problem with something he's said are automatically wrong?

I think its perfectly acceptable for current players to disagree in principle with something any former player might say publicly, regardless of who that former player might be.

I read that differently than you did.. I think what the W&W said was right.. many times a person will say something on social media that they will not say to someone face to face.. usually people show more respect in person then they do on social media and that's across the board. I think if Monty has a problem or any other player then have them talk to Herschel face to face and express their views and he will express his.. nothing physical about that IMO. It's part of the learning process. I agree it is perfectly acceptable to disagree, but posting a picture of herschel with a racist comment attacking him is another thing. If you think that is okay way to communicate about someone you disagree with I don't know what to say to you.

(now on the other hand if what W&W is saying is a physical altercation then I obviously disagree)..

"That community" saw the lowest unemployment rates among them (pre-COVID) than ever before. I'm not following you.

What is hurtful about progress?

I think he meant it's hurtful to see a person of color that played for UGA stand behind someone who been blatantly racist. I think.

If I am Kirby, Mr. Rice and I would have a come to Jesus conference. You cannot use that term address to the all time UGA stud or for that matter anyone else. Yes, from experience I know that blacks call each other N--- all the time but you cannot do that publicly. Mr. Rice would be watching us play Arkansas from his couch in Athens if I were the coach.

See you just assumed that the original poster was talking about physical stature. That is not how a read that at all. He means Herschel can be calm, collective and state his point but at the same time be empathetic to Monty. He was talking about Herschel's emotional intelligence.

All he is saying is we can disagree as men without acting like kids or animals.

Seems to me you just look at Herschel as a dumb, physically imposing joke. Whereas, i see him as a natural born leader and great man regardless of skin color or size.

If I am Kirby, Mr. Rice and I would have a come to Jesus conference. You cannot use that term address to the all time UGA stud or for that matter anyone else. Yes, from experience I know that blacks call each other N--- all the time but you cannot do that publicly. Mr. Rice would be watching us play Arkansas from his couch in Athens if I were the coach.

Many of us are thankful that Kirby Smart is our coach and not you

It’s lovely Wednesday afternoon and you people are crying about a comment made by a POC against another POC. Can we find something better to talk about?

And I get emails all the time complaining we don't let folks talk enough politics. Damned if we do, damned if we don't. The Chat can be and usually is a good place. The bad actors are being cast out and will continue to be.
I get that, but a few other sports message boards I have been on went through this, banning political talk and creating a separate board for it, but the board ended up looking like the chat, so they just got rid of it. Made the sites much nicer. Just think what goes on over there is a really bad look. There are tons and tons of political message boards out there for those who want it.

Once or twice on the Chat. They were banned.
That whole cesspool needs to be napalmed out of existence. I've had some pretty heated arguments with folks on the Vent, but I know that it's in good faith. What goes on in the Chat is some next-level BS, and it all of us look bad.

I get that, but a few other sports message boards I have been on went through this, banning political talk and creating a separate board for it, but the board ended up looking like the chat, so they just got rid of it. Made the sites much nicer. Just think what goes on over there is a really bad look. There are tons and tons of political message boards out there for those who want it.

Some of us pay our money for sports information and what not. If people want to talk politics, exchange numbers and text one another. People aren’t mature enough to have differing opinions without someone getting anal, so let’s completely avoid talking politics. It’s exhausting as it is. I definitely agree that this should get moved to its own separate board, so people who want *sports only content* will get what they want. That’s just my opinion. I’m sure the boomers will take offense to it.

Reactions: DOGF
Cool. Any info you can share on the blatantly racist part? I missed that.

You know Trump was against busing in the 70s (The NAACP called Trump's proposal during the busing debate “an anti-black amendment.”) , he also helped pass a horrible criminal reform bill in 1994 that put so many black Americans in jail, he was also called one of the most racist people to run for the presidency by kamala harris (his running mate), and he also said if you don't vote for me as a white liberal i have a right to tell you that you aren't black. Let's not forget his recent comments on the mentality of Black Community compared to the Latino Community. So as you can clearly see above Trump is a blatant racist. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT