ADVERTISEMENT

Most gratifying for me right now is...

fprex

Pocket Dogs - I always got a hot dog in my pocket
Gold Member
Aug 31, 2006
the fact that our guys are settling into roles down the stretch. Getting just about everyone back and healthy is allowing for this but you also need guys to buy in and accept…it appears we're seeing that.

Parker is the enigma in all of this because nobody knows just how much that achilles will be able to handle so if I'm Fox, he's at the end of my rotation unless an emergency hits. The last thing we need right now is for Parker to eventually take an important role and then lose him again to injury and that's a definite possibility.

Mann and Gaines are plugged in as the starters at the 1 & 2.

Nemi and Thornton are just as plugged in as our 4/5.

Kenny Paul Geno appears locked in as our starting 3 now and I love it. He gets to start and concentrate on defense and facilitating on offense which allows the other 4 starters more shots to start the game and get into a rhythm. Beautiful.

Cam comes in to replace KPG and brings a different dynamic out of the TV timeout. His street-yard offensive game is a nice change-up as we usually sit 2 starters at this point in the game so we need more scoring/creative ability out there. He provides that and maybe it keeps him hungry in practice throughout the rest of the season (since he's not starting…who knows).

JJ is the 3rd guard that comes in and, once again, gives us a different dynamic out there as a better director of the offense and a deadly outside threat while increasing the tempo. He can either replace Mann or move Mann to the 3.

Yante is really coming on as our backup post that offers better shot-blocking ability as well as appearing more comfortable on the pick and roll. His ambidextrous inside game already reminds you of Thornton as a senior.

Kessler can come in for the token 30 seconds before a TV timeout to give us just a little extra and the bonus 3 if he gets the chance. Ditto for Echols.

If I'm to plug Parker into any roles, it would be the Echols role until I'm convinced that he's healthy enough to sustain for the duration.

What also HAS to be factored into all of this, especially at the dawn of tourney time (i.e. constant games), is how versatile our guys are which is additional help to our stamina over a multi-day SEC tournament or an every other day NCAA scenario.

Mann could go 1/2/3, Gaines 2/3, JJ 1/2, KPG 2/3, Forte 3/4, Maten 4/5. Coaches often love to SAY a guy can play the 2/3 or the 4/5 but those players often don't get the opportunity to do so. One of the positives to come out of the injury epidemic this year is that guys HAD to play different roles and now it can be used effectively.

Every coach in America wants to peak at the right time. We actually appear to be doing just that.

I'm excited.
happy.r191677.gif

This is premium content. Please subscribe to view.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News