ADVERTISEMENT

NonDawg My covid brethren-what is your take on the chances for re-infection?

I had it in September. I've read a ton, had discussions with immunologists. There is no reason to think you can get reinfected within at least 9 months (only been going on for 9 months, so can't go out further than that). Easiest way to put this is that with 50 million people having recovered from it world-wide, if you could get it twice within 9 months or less, we would be seeing 10s of thousands of people reporting that. And we all know the press would be going crazy with it. You are not hearing that. An occasional story, but most often involves people (1) with false positives, (2) never got over it, or (3) work in an environment where they are subjected to it all day long.

I continue to mask and distance out of respect for my friends, family and neighbors. But, I did go to the MSU game, and flew recently, both things I likely would not have done had I not already had it. Here is a more detailed post that I made a few weeks ago.

I had it in September. I've read a ton, had discussions with immunologists. There is no reason to think you can get reinfected within at least 9 months (only been going on for 9 months, so can't go out further than that). Easiest way to put this is that with 50 million people having recovered from it world-wide, if you could get it twice within 9 months or less, we would be seeing 10s of thousands of people reporting that. And we all know the press would be going crazy with it. You are not hearing that. An occasional story, but most often involves people (1) with false positives, (2) never got over it, or (3) work in an environment where they are subjected to it all day long.

I continue to mask and distance out of respect for my friends, family and neighbors. But, I did go to the MSU game, and flew recently, both things I likely would not have done had I not already had it. Here is a more detailed post that I made a few weeks ago.

great info and insights. Cheers.

Reactions: LawDawg86
The jury seems to be out on the matter.
No definitive/consistant pattern. Several strains identified. Like the Virus' effect on people ,there's no consistent answer.. Have "boots on the ground" at Emory/CDC and MCG Infectious Disease Immunolgy ,A LOTTA variables that defy patterns.Read/heed the CDC/NIH/Hopkins websites .Also ck those sites for info on "long haulers" per Covid. Symptoms can persist for long periods.,even after the Virus technically has abated. Symptoms can wax/wain over long periods.

Reactions: RoyDawgMercer

It’s been around for over a year...

This. We've all heard stories of "my cousin's, neighbor's, sister's best friend got it twice", but in reality, she didn't get it twice. Like @LawDawg86 said, the virus hasn't been around long enough to know how long immunity lasts, and we don't know how the virus will mutate. Hopefully we wipe this out with the current vaccines. I still wear masks when in public, primarily because it is required in most places, but also out of respect for others, but I don't fear getting it again.

Last edited:
Mother in law had it in July. Positive test again yesterday. Both times very sick

No definitive/consistant pattern. Several strains identified. Like the Virus' effect on people ,there's no consistent answer.. Have "boots on the ground" at Emory/CDC and MCG Infectious Disease Immunolgy ,A LOTTA variables that defy patterns.Read/heed the CDC/NIH/Hopkins websites .Also ck those sites for info on "long haulers" per Covid. Symptoms can persist for long periods.,even after the Virus technically has abated. Symptoms can wax/wain over long periods.
This. Follow the scientists. No consensus on how long immunity lasts nor how antibodies react to different strains. It just hasn’t been around long enough to make definitive answers at this point.

Reactions: RoyDawgMercer
I have a friend that's been infected 3 times with it since spring. The antibodies do not last long.

With all due respect, I’m going to suggest that there isn’t a single person on the planet who has been infected three separate times.

Given how this has been covered in the press, do you think there is any chance that a person having been infected three separate times wouldn’t have been a week-long story on all the networks?

With all due respect, I’m going to suggest that there isn’t a single person on the planet who has been infected three separate times.

Given how this has been covered in the press, do you think there is any chance that a person having been infected three separate times wouldn’t have been a week-long story on all the networks?
Ill take the opposite stance.

With a population into the tens/hundreds of millions, I’m confident at least one person has been infected three times.

Now, has that person been documented or studied...probably not. We also shouldn’t give too much concern to outliers because just because it’s possible doesn’t make it probable.

As I've mentioned before, I'm not a doctor, but I work with a very large group of emergency physicians & hospitalists. We had an internal Zoom yesterday that touched directly on some of these questions, as well as the vaccines.

- Yes, you can get Covid more than once, but is still extremely rare & not that likely. This despite the fact that apparently half the board knows someone who's sister's coworker had had it 2 or 3 times already!
- What we are typically seeing is that antibodies last longer in people that had more severe cases of Covid. So if you had it but were asymptomatic or had very mild, brief symptoms, your antibodies typically don't last as long as someone who had it bad, for a prolonged period of time.
- The vaccines will be more effective in preventing infection (or re-infection) that the antibodies your body would produce after having Covid, even if you had a severe case. So everyone who can get vaccinated really should, and preferably as soon as you can.

As I've mentioned before, I'm not a doctor, but I work with a very large group of emergency physicians & hospitalists. We had an internal Zoom yesterday that touched directly on some of these questions, as well as the vaccines.

- Yes, you can get Covid more than once, but is still extremely rare & not that likely. This despite the fact that apparently half the board knows someone who's sister's coworker had had it 2 or 3 times already!
- What we are typically seeing is that antibodies last longer in people that had more severe cases of Covid. So if you had it but were asymptomatic or had very mild, brief symptoms, your antibodies typically don't last as long as someone who had it bad, for a prolonged period of time.
- The vaccines will be more effective in preventing infection (or re-infection) that the antibodies your body would produce after having Covid, even if you had a severe case. So everyone who can get vaccinated really should, and preferably as soon as you can.

Two things.....

- Yes, you can get Covid more than once, but is still extremely rare & not that likely. This despite the fact that apparently half the board knows someone who's sister's coworker had had it 2 or 3 times already! - Quality

And...

Reactions: FivePtsDawg
Ill take the opposite stance.

With a population into the tens/hundreds of millions, I’m confident at least one person has been infected three times.

Now, has that person been documented or studied...probably not. We also shouldn’t give too much concern to outliers because just because it’s possible doesn’t make it probable.

I can appreciate that perspective, but I'm not confident that's the case. So much of the media coverage of this has focused on the outliers (which I agree should not be guiding policy) I can't imagine that a person could be infected THREE times (in America) and it not have been reported anywhere.

Appreciate the post and the post in the thread you linked. My wife and I have both had it. I don’t come in contact with a lot of people currently but she teaches sped and around here you’d think there was no pandemic. So, I’ve been a little concerned when I hear people say two to three months. We are conducting ourselves like we’ve not had it, however.

I know of 5 people personally who have had it twice in Houston- not false positives-really sick-one almost died the second time. An ICU nurse here was on TV the other day saying she has an ICU patient currently who has it for the THIRD time! Don't believe you can't get re-infected. I had it in June and am concerned now

Again, there is an incredible amount of disinformation here. The number of actual documented reinfections in the US you could count on your fingers.

This. We've all heard stories of "my cousin's, neighbor's, sister's best friend go it twice", but in reality, she didn't get it twice. Like @LawDawg86 said, the virus hasn't been around long enough to know how long immunity lasts, and we don't know how the virus will mutate. Hopefully we wipe this out with the current vaccines. I still wear masks when in public, primarily because it is required in most places, but also out of respect for others, but I don't fear getting it again.
I can tell you first hand it is possible to get the virus twice.

Immunity doesn’t shield you against reinfection but it should prevent or lessen symptoms in a significant majority of people. The strength and duration of immunity will vary from person to person, depending on multiple factors. The same is true for those who get vaccinated.

Have you had the flu before? Did you get it again?
The flu mutates annually so antibody protection from last years strain may not work this or next year. There are literally a dozen different flu strains floating around each year and the annual shot only covers what is believed to be the most virulent / dangerous strains that season. This is why when you hear folks say they got sick but also had a shot they likely had an off-brand strain. Know one knows yet if COVID will act similar.

Reactions: stray
Again, there is an incredible amount of disinformation here. The number of actual documented reinfections in the US you could count on your fingers.

For an extremely small percentage of the population, there are already more to count than fingers on this thread alone. I also have a 17 year old healthy nephew living in Athens area just tested positive for 2nd infection. First was right at 3 months ago. Seems to have gotten different strand this time according to doc. Misinformation being stated in your message Maitland.

For an extremely small percentage of the population, there are already more to count than fingers on this thread alone. I also have a 17 year old healthy nephew living in Athens area just tested positive for 2nd infection. First was right at 3 months ago. Seems to have gotten different strand this time according to doc. Misinformation being stated in your message Maitland.

I think he's referring to documented cases of re-infection, not "I know someone who had it twice."

Reactions: MaitlandFloridaDawg
There is a huge difference between "yeah i know of someone this or that" and actually documented peer reviewed cases.. The answer is our medical community has no idea regarding reinfection or not.

Reactions: MaitlandFloridaDawg
I think he's referring to documented cases of re-infection, not "I know someone who had it twice."

my nephew is documented. Had fever and aches for 3 weeks with first round. Went back to school 1 month later (and multiple negatives). Was fine until last week. Retested positive and seems stronger this time thus doc believing it could be different strain

We have a basketball player who was positive in July and he just tested positive again. High School student in middle Georgia.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT