ADVERTISEMENT

Property Tax (Jackson County)

Bulldawg1995

National Champion
Gold Member
Jun 29, 2017
For those in Jackson County, can someone help me understand why our property tax is in the 99th percentile for Georgia? You’d think I have a property in Manhattan if you saw our tax assessment.

Can anything be done to get them lowered? I know you can appeal however I’m not sure how effective that actually is or what needs to be provided. Would appreciate any feedback

Reactions: TheSmartWay
We live in Jackson County ( Jefferson ) also, and are with you there. Ours went up additional $2000 this year. Absolutely Ridiculous. We moved here 11 years ago and it has more than doubled in that time. We pay for the school system. As soon as my kids graduate we are out!

For those in Jackson County, can someone help me understand why our property tax is in the 99th percentile for Georgia? You’d think I have a property in Manhattan if you saw our tax assessment.

Can anything be done to get them lowered? I know you can appeal however I’m not sure how effective that actually is or what needs to be provided. Would appreciate any feedback
Do you think your property was overvalued by the assessor?

Your taxes are high because you’ve got a good school system and it’s a hot county to move to

Do you think your property was overvalued by the assessor?

Your taxes are high because you’ve got a good school system and it’s a hot county to move to
I think just about every property/house built since Covid is overvalued. The quality of my house/neighborhood is overvalued in my opinion but then again what do I know.

I am in Jefferson and was going to challenge mine until I checked MLS and saw several houses in my neighborhood sold for $30k over my assessed value last year without a basement.

I think the problem is they're relying more on sales data for the value and the recent spike has hurt those that got here earlier. We bought our house at the end of 2016 and our 2023 assessed value is 71% more than we paid.

Hopefully it will hold for 10 more years in our case but we're paying for that hope now.

I am in Jefferson and was going to challenge mine until I checked MLS and saw several houses in my neighborhood sold for $30k over my assessed value last year without a basement.

I think the problem is they're relying more on sales data for the value and the recent spike has hurt those that got here earlier. We bought our house at the end of 2016 and our 2023 assessed value is 71% more than we paid.

Hopefully it will hold for 10 more years in our case but we're paying for that hope now.
I’m curious- do you think they shouldn’t use sales data to determine a home’s value?

You pay for your school district man, I’m in the same boat. It is what it is, but I’ll stroke that check for good schools 10 times out of 10

Last edited:
I’m curious- do you think they shouldn’t use sales data to determine a home’s value?
It's obviously a major factor. The housing market is an animal all it's own, especially since 2008. I would be ok with a better blend of traditional appraisal methods and sales data. Just because the market popped doesn't mean the county/city needs a tax infusion.

It's obviously a major factor. The housing market is an animal all it's own, especially since 2008. I would be ok with a better blend of traditional appraisal methods and sales data. Just because the market popped doesn't mean the county/city needs a tax infusion.
Aren’t traditional appraisal methods just looking at sales data and adjusting for the individual home or no?

I will be glad to help you out. This is the type of stuff I do for a living. Can’t promise anything but I can definitely provide plenty of insight.

To answer the sales question, the county uses prior year sales to determine fair market value. That said, there are always different ways to skin the cat. Shoot me a DM and we can talk about it.

That goes for everyone on here. I do this nationwide.

I fine with that as long as out of district kids pay more than $1200 a year... unless they can ball.
Yeah. I get that. It seems to me those out of district costs aren’t adjusted as frequently as property taxes. It’s a valid point

Our assessed value in Jefferson has gone up 33% since 2021. We bought in 2020. Our first assessment was $100 less than we paid, so it seemed fair. I didn’t expect it to ramp up so much, but we could probably sell for a bit more than the assessed value. So I can’t say it’s obviously unfair

There's more to it than that... theres a big uproar in Jackson County right now. We have a home there we purchased in 2020 when everything started exploding... We have 7 acres and its a nice 2,300 sq ft. home. The place sold for $325,000 in 2017... We purchased it for $425k in 2021.. so obviously taxes are going up on it... Sure enough 2022 assesment came and Jackson county valued our house at $450k... all sounds normal to this point. No complaints.

Fast forward to this year. Got the 2023 assessment last week.... Jackson County now values my house at $725,000!

To be clear, I don't live in a 3-quarter of a million dollar home. If I did I'd sell tomorrow, pocket the profit, and move into one of our rental places and ride things out... In reality the home might be worth a little more than I paid for it based on the market maybe $500k tops. The market did go up a little after we purchased but we bought pretty close to the top.

We'll appeal.... thousands others in Jackson county are. This story is pretty much the norm across the county with assessments going out this week. Jackson County canceled the County Commissioners meeting Monday in the wake of the uproar and will reschedule when they figure out how to address things.

There's more to it than that... theres a big uproar in Jackson County right now. We have a home there we purchased in 2020 when everything started exploding... We have 7 acres and its a nice 2,300 sq ft. home. The place sold for $325,000 in 2017... We purchased it for $425k in 2021.. so obviously taxes are going up on it... Sure enough 2022 assesment came and Jackson county valued our house at $450k... all sounds normal to this point. No complaints.

Fast forward to this year. Got the 2023 assessment last week.... Jackson County now values my house at $725,000!

To be clear, I don't live in a 3-quarter of a million dollar home. If I did I'd sell tomorrow, pocket the profit, and move into one of our rental places and ride things out... In reality the home might be worth a little more than I paid for it based on the market maybe $500k tops. The market did go up a little after we purchased but we bought pretty close to the top.

We'll appeal.... thousands others in Jackson county are. This story is pretty much the norm across the county with assessments going out this week. Jackson County canceled the County Commissioners meeting Monday in the wake of the uproar and will reschedule when they figure out how to address things.
I can’t imagine a lot of folks had that big of a jump in a year though? Your house has to be an anomaly right?

Reactions: Doo-Doo Ice Dawg

Yeah, I’d definitely appeal that. Shouldn’t be that difficult to win if things are that far off

I can’t imagine a lot of folks had that big of a jump in a year though? Your house has to be an anomaly right?

Nope... Check out the facebook page "Living in Jackson County" if its visible to the public... This is happening county wide.... I mean, heck, the news has even spread to the Dawgvent. There are even more extreme examples than mine. People are in an uproar up here right now.

Nope... Check out the facebook page "Living in Jackson County" if its visible to the public... This is happening county wide.... I mean, heck, the news has even spread to the Dawgvent. There are even more extreme examples than mine. People are in an uproar up here right now.
As the Vent goes, so goes the world as they say. Or as they should say

Yeah, I’d definitely appeal that. Shouldn’t be that difficult to win if things are that far off

Yeah, I'm not to worried about it. There hasn't been a home sell for anywhere close to $550k in the part of the county I live in... even during the pandemic peak. So its absurd to even suggest that mine is suddenly worth $725,000. There is no data to support this valuation.

I'd be happy as could be if there were though. We have a vacant rental right now that were renovating. If I could somehow squeeze anywhere close to $700k out of this place I'd do it in a second and move in there to ride things out. But sadly I dont actually live in a $700+k house. Jackson County is just trying to tax me like I do.

Fight it OP. Even if you don’t win the appeal, you get that freeze!

As the Vent goes, so goes the world as they say. Or as they should say

I actually laughed to my wife a couple of days ago when we were reading all the outrage on the Jackson County facebook page... said "I wonder how long before this spreads to the Dawgvent."

Took about 48 hours from the time I uttered those words.

I guess I am lucky. We live in Jackson County. I would say the listed fair market value of our house is $100K lower than what I would get if we sold.

Two meetings have been set. This is behind a paywall, but I have a copy of the paper on my desk and can give the dates tomorrow if needed...

Jackson County Town Halls

Thanks for that.

Also, as I understand it. Jackson County is the first county in the region to send out assessments... will be interesting to see what Athens-Clarke county (and others) shows when those are mailed out soon.

I guess I am lucky. We live in Jackson County. I would say the listed fair market value of our house is $100K lower than what I would get if we sold.

All really depends on the amount of land you have... Its the value of the land that went up. The value of my home only went up a modest 4 to 5% approximately.... Its the value of the land that skyrocketed.

So if you live in a neighborhood in a nice place but on a single lot you probably didnt see much increase.

Reactions: Postcard Dawg
Thanks for that.

Also, as I understand it. Jackson County is the first county in the region to send out assessments... will be interesting to see what Athens-Clarke county (and others) shows when those are mailed out soon.

Yep. I think some have gone out in Banks County and they're significantly higher as well.

Reactions: BeachDawg
I think the bigger issue is they are assuming the same mileage rate as last year in what was sent out. You can’t have 30-40% increase in assessments and hold the mileage rate constant - unless the county/city are increasing the budget proportionally (which I don’t think will happen).

For comparison, my estimated bill is higher in Jefferson than a more expensive home in Atlanta.

I think the bigger issue is they are assuming the same mileage rate as last year in what was sent out. You can’t have 30-40% increase in assessments and hold the mileage rate constant - unless the county/city are increasing the budget proportionally (which I don’t think will happen).

For comparison, my estimated bill is higher in Jefferson than a more expensive home in Atlanta.

Correct. From what I've heard from some of the commissioners and school board members is that the millage rage for both should decrease before the actual bills are sent out.

In a nutshell: First, homes values are based on the cost approach schedule (not one used by fee appraisers) . After all homes are valued then collectively they have to meet a certain ratio when compared to actual sales. This is state law. Usually sales within the last 1-2 years. Building costs have gone up and sales have gone up tremendously in the last 2 years. By state law there was no option but to go up on values.
Then yes, as stated earlier, Total assessed value divided by the budget gets your millage.

I am a Certified General appraiser and on our county tax board. I don't remember one time appraising a home where the actual market value was not way over the tax assessor's value.

Funny story. I appraised a brand new home years ago for 675k. Homeowner called saying he had $725k in it and that's what it was worth. I said I believe you do but not in this County is it worth that much. We are very rural. He got his first tax assessment notice at 390k. He called and appealed saying his home was not worth 390k. 😁😁

Last edited:

Try to get a conservation easement if you have land

Tax bill for my house in Jackson County is going up about $3000 this year. I am not in a city. I don’t know that the issue is limited to Jackson County. I have houses in Clarke, Fannin, and Barrow. Those taxes go up every year, sometimes by a lot, also.

No. We bought ours for 299,000 in 2019. Ours was assessed over $500,000. We have a nice home in a nice neighborhood but it's not worth that price. I would never pay that much for our home.

We live in Jackson County ( Jefferson ) also, and are with you there. Ours went up additional $2000 this year. Absolutely Ridiculous. We moved here 11 years ago and it has more than doubled in that time. We pay for the school system. As soon as my kids graduate we are out!
Ours went up 2k in Paulding Co too. Total bs

It's happing almost everywhere. Just got a big increase in my taxes in Ben Hill County.

Can anything be done to get them lowered? I know you can appeal however I’m not sure how effective that actually is or what needs to be provided. Would appreciate any f

I live in Clarke county. Hold my beer.
My wife went and contested the increase in the assessment of our home in person, and they froze our property taxes for 3 years. That could be an option for you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT