ADVERTISEMENT

Scheffler arrested outside PGA where a car wreck had occurred

Reading comprehension is not your strong suit Snowflake.

I suppose Scheffler couldn't have fallen into the 10% I suggested drive safely. 🤦‍♂️
I think I comprehended just fine. You speculated he was on his phone. You also said the other poster wasn’t there. This ain’t Burger King, amigo. Can’t have it your way.

Reactions: Rgltr450
If he didn't stop and th officer jumped on his car, the officer is an idiot. I doubt Scottie went driving down the road with a cop on the hood
They were working a bus vs. pedestrian fatality crash…in the dark and rain…likely with numerous officers, investigators, firefighters, coroner, etc walking around the scene. Should he have just stepped aside instead of trying to stop Scheffler and just hope he doesn’t run over anybody else on scene? This wasn’t an officer trying to keep someone from entering the wrong parking lot.

We see on the news every day normal traffic stops ending in tragedy. Yes cops are under stress and many normal stops are not normal but has it gotten so bad that at the entry to a golf course cops still assume the worse? Do you think Ben Crump will show up to defend Scotty?

We see on the news every day normal traffic stops ending in tragedy. Yes cops are under stress and many normal stops are not normal but has it gotten so bad that at the entry to a golf course cops still assume the worse? Do you think Ben Crump will show up to defend Scotty?
Dang they shot Scottie too?!

Again, prior prejudice is affecting your opinion. Every force has good and bad cops. The system tends to eventually keep the bad ones in check. If this was bad policing, then the cop and maybe the Louisville police department will be justifiably raked through the coals. But it could also just be a pro golfer on a power trip...
With the caveat that no body cam footage has been released yet, which is more likely? Scottie on a power trip or the police officer overreacting?

I respect that everyone was on edge given the tragic accident that happened earlier in the morning, but all players were told they’d be allowed into Valhalla despite the delays. For an arrest to be made without any context of who Scottie is or why he was pulling into Valhalla (with credentials and a marked courtesy car to boot), seems like a bit much.

I for one am glad that the brave men of the force in Louisville FINALLY got such a menace off the streets. The world is obviously much safer now that Scottie was detained and will be brought to justice for his crimes of [checks notes] a completely innocent misunderstanding
Except for the fact that he drove a decent ways with a cop screaming at him to stop and also attached to his car.

With the caveat that no body cam footage has been released yet, which is more likely? Scottie on a power trip or the police officer overreacting?

I respect that everyone was on edge given the tragic accident that happened earlier in the morning, but all players were told they’d be allowed into Valhalla despite the delays. For an arrest to be made without any context of who Scottie is or why he was pulling into Valhalla (with credentials and a marked courtesy car to boot), seems like a bit much.
If the circumstances involved preservation and processing of a potential inv manslaughter scene, and you have a privileged pro golfer driving to a tournament he’s probably going to win, and you have a policeman who is following orders to hold a possible crime scene static, and something caused that policeman to feel the need to physically stand in front of the golfer’s vehicle to restrict movement…

I could candidly see that going either way in terms of whether the arrest was justified. But one thing should be clear: it doesn’t matter if you’re the world’s best golfer on the way to work; you’re not justified in disobeying a lawful order from a police officer, especially at a crime scene.

SIAP…info from the affidavit:

“Detective Gillis was directing traffic into Gate 1 of the Valhalla Golf Course due to the road being closed in both directions from an earlier fatal collision. Listed subject was driving eastbound to gain access to the course. Subject pulled into the westbound lanes, where outbound traffic was flowing and to avoid backed up traffic. Detective Gillis was in the middle of the westbound lanes, in full LMPD uniform and a hi-visibility yellow reflective rain jacket. Detective Gillis stopped subject and attempted to give instructions. Subject refused to comply and accelerated forward, dragging Detective Gillis to the ground. Detective Gillis suffered pain, swelling, and abrasions to his left wrist and knee. He was transported to the hospital for further medical treatment by emergency medical personnel. Detective Gillis' uniform pants, valued at approximately $80 were damaged beyond repair.”

Looks like the Criminal Mischief 3rd Degree charge was for the damage to the uniform pants…also known as a POP (pissed off the police) charge.

But jumping to assumptions of "bad policing" or the officer not being a "reasonable human" says more about a problem you generally have with policemen than the actual situation here. An arrest could very well have been warranted if the guy disobeyed a reasonable police order at a potential crime scene and threatened the officer's physical safety in the process.
This is 100% correct. I feel for Scottie and I don't think for a second he was intentionally doing anything wrong. But unintentionally disobeying the cops is still disobeying the cops. He thought he was doing what he was supposed to do. Obviously he wasn't.

The folks claiming that the officer was on a power trip or arrested because it was scottie or isn't a reasonable human being are letting their own bias show. It says a lot more about them than the officer, imo.

They were working a bus vs. pedestrian fatality crash…in the dark and rain…likely with numerous officers, investigators, firefighters, coroner, etc walking around the scene. Should he have just stepped aside instead of trying to stop Scheffler and just hope he doesn’t run over anybody else on scene? This wasn’t an officer trying to keep someone from entering the wrong parking lot.
Being that witnesses are saying Scottie wasn’t the first courtesy car (which is clearly marked/recognizable) to take the same exact route without issue, then yes, it appears the officer should have let him enter the parking lot where he was authorized to be.

Wasn’t like this was a mile from the game- it was literally AT the gate.

Then arresting him (when he was clearly cooperating and non-combative as shown by video evidence), taking him to jail, and putting him in an orange jumpsuit for his photo is next level.

Last edited:
This is 100% correct. I feel for Scottie and I don't think for a second he was intentionally doing anything wrong. But unintentionally disobeying the cops is still disobeying the cops. He thought he was doing what he was supposed to do. Obviously he wasn't.

The folks claiming that the officer was on a power trip or arrested because it was scottie or isn't a reasonable human being are letting their own bias show. It says a lot more about them than the officer, imo.
Intent very much matters

who do y’all think Scottie is about to deep dick the hardest: the field or the arresting officer?

I’m just kidding, Scottie probably won’t pursue anything with the officer?

If the circumstances involved preservation and processing of a potential inv manslaughter scene, and you have a privileged pro golfer driving to a tournament he’s probably going to win, and you have a policeman who is following orders to hold a possible crime scene static, and something caused that policeman to feel the need to physically stand in front of the golfer’s vehicle to restrict movement…

I could candidly see that going either way in terms of whether the arrest was justified. But one thing should be clear: it doesn’t matter if you’re the world’s best golfer on the way to work; you’re not justified in disobeying a lawful order from a police officer, especially at a crime scene.
Sure, understood, but ESPN reported that players were let in after the incident and before Scottie arrived, so maybe there was some miscommunication with the officer? Just seems like this could have been avoided with a rational conversation.

Reactions: Red8Black

“Detective Gillis was directing traffic into Gate 1 of the Valhalla Golf Course due to the road being closed in both directions from an earlier fatal collision. Listed subject was driving eastbound to gain access to the course. Subject pulled into the westbound lanes, where outbound traffic was flowing and to avoid backed up traffic. Detective Gillis was in the middle of the westbound lanes, in full LMPD uniform and a hi-visibility yellow reflective rain jacket. Detective Gillis stopped subject and attempted to give instructions. Subject refused to comply and accelerated forward, dragging Detective Gillis to the ground. Detective Gillis suffered pain, swelling, and abrasions to his left wrist and knee. He was transported to the hospital for further medical treatment by emergency medical personnel. Detective Gillis' uniform pants, valued at approximately $80 were damaged beyond repair.”

Looks like the Criminal Mischief 3rd Degree charge was for the damage to the uniform pants…also known as a POP (pissed off the police) charge.

What I take from this affidavit is that the officer pooped his pants.

Doesn't exactly paint the picture of a power tripping cop singling out Scottie for doing nothing wrong like some are suggesting. If a cop tells you to stop you stop. Scottie didn't. Probably shouldn't have resulted in an arrest but if the Cop was dragged to the ground, you sort of get what you get.

It’s a weird situation. I read a longer distance and then wouldn’t open his car door. This after driving on a median and ignoring police commands.
Jeff Darlington was literally feet away from the whole incident and couldn’t believe what he was seeing go down. You seem to be getting bad info

You could tell he was having to restrain himself on air from shitting on the cops

Sure, understood, but ESPN reported that players were let in after the incident and before Scottie arrived, so maybe there was some miscommunication with the officer? Just seems like this could have been avoided with a rational conversation.
That's almost certainly true. Question is which one--or perhaps it was both--was acting irrationally.

Intent very much matters
It matters in the court of law. Not in the moment of an arrest. If a cop give you an order and you disobey you are likely getting some form of a reprimand, whether arrest or otherwise. Claiming you misunderstood or weren't intentionally disobeying is fine after the fact, but in the moment the only thing the cop knows is there is a driver that isn't doing what I'm telling him to do. And if his action had then hurt someone else, the cop is F'd.

All the cop knows in that moment is here is a curtesy car that I've told to stop and he isn't. What would you do with that if you are a cop standing in the middle of the road?

Doesn't exactly paint the picture of a power tripping cop singling out Scottie for doing nothing wrong like some are suggesting. If a cop tells you to stop you stop. Scottie didn't. Probably shouldn't have resulted in an arrest but if the Cop was dragged to the ground, you sort of get what you get.
Yeah, I’d like to see the body camera video…seeing now it was a detective they were likely called out for the early morning traffic fatality investigation and don’t typically wear body cameras like a uniform patrol officer does working a shift (at least not at the agencies I previously worked). Seems like this was a misunderstanding, especially if dozens of other players had no issue navigating the scene. I doubt Scheffler intended to disregard the LEO or cause harm to them. Imagine this will get worked out.

Of course everyone wants to give the country club guy the benefit of the doubt.
Half of America already told me LEO was bad news, I’m just finally listening.

Do we have any details on Detective Gillis yet? What’s his law enforcement background?

All the cop knows in that moment is here is a curtesy car that I've told to stop and he isn't. What would you do with that if you are a cop standing in the middle of the road?
I would talk to the person and do my best to resolve the situation without making an arrest like an adult as opposed to what Officer Dipshit did

It matters in the court of law. Not in the moment of an arrest. If a cop give you an order and you disobey you are likely getting some form of a reprimand, whether arrest or otherwise. Claiming you misunderstood or weren't intentionally disobeying is fine after the fact, but in the moment the only thing the cop knows is there is a driver that isn't doing what I'm telling him to do. And if his action had then hurt someone else, the cop is F'd.

I'm sure I'd react and do what I needed to do to stop the car, but I'd also have the wherewithal to have a conversation with the person to figure out what was going on. Doesn't sound like that happened here. Sounds like the officer was knocked to the ground, probably got pissed, and threw the cuffs on Scottie without opportunity for explanation. Understandable, but not a good look for a LEO, especially a detective who should be more mentally composed than a beat cop.

Yeah, I’d like to see the body camera video…seeing now it was a detective they were likely called out for the early morning traffic fatality investigation and don’t typically wear body cameras like a uniform patrol officer does working a shift (at least not at the agencies I previously worked). Seems like this was a misunderstanding, especially if dozens of other players had no issue navigating the scene. I doubt Scheffler intended to disregard the LEO or cause harm to them. Imagine this will get worked out.
I agree with this completely.

Should an arrest have happened? Probably not. Was Scottie intentionally trying to hurt anyone? Most probably not. Did Scottie disobey a direct order from the police? Appears so.

To me, the fact that other cars had gotten in the same way is less compelling because the other cars may have gotten there at a time where they could enter without any issue. Scottie was obviously told to stop and didn't. That's the issue.

I would talk to the person and do my best to resolve the situation without making an arrest like an adult as opposed to what Officer Dipshit did
The fact that you can't manage to engage in this conversation without making derogatory comments about the officer is telling.

Scottie shouldn't have been arrested. But Scottie also should have stopped when the cop told him to. And if the cop tried to stop him and Scottie kept driving (creating a dangerous situation for the cop), then he was at the mercy of the officers.

I agree with this completely.

Should an arrest have happened? Probably not. Was Scottie intentionally trying to hurt anyone? Most probably not. Did Scottie disobey a direct order from the police? Appears so.

To me, the fact that other cars had gotten in the same way is less compelling because the other cars may have gotten there at a time where they could enter without any issue. Scottie was obviously told to stop and didn't. That's the issue.
That was how I interpreted the affidavit as well…that he drove into the oncoming lanes of traffic where outbound traffic was flowing…and then disregarded the detective trying to stop him and he was knocked to the ground by the vehicle. Scheffler may have not been paying attention or was confused by flashing lights, dark, rain, etc. and trying to figure out where to go.

Or the detective was waiting for Scottie’s specific vehicle to arrive at the course so he could dive in front of it and haul him off the jail. It really could go either way.

I really hope PGA Tour 2k25 will have an option where players can get arrested on the way to the course. You start the game and a notification comes up and says “two stroke penalty for missing tee time due to arrest for assaulting a police officer.”

There is no group of people who have more authority with less qualifications than cops. Cops get more undeserved approbation than any group of people I can think of and are frequently heroes in their own minds. A cop who escalates a situation like this shouldn’t have any authority or receive any respect.

I really hope PGA Tour 2k25 will have an option where players can get arrested on the way to the course. You start the game and a notification comes up and says “two stroke penalty for missing tee time due to arrest for assaulting a police officer.”
Always save your mulligan for when you hit a LEO with your vehicle IMO.

That was how I interpreted the affidavit as well…that he drove into the oncoming lanes of traffic where outbound traffic was flowing…and then disregarded the detective trying to stop him and he was knocked to the ground by the vehicle. Scheffler may have not been paying attention or was confused by flashing lights, dark, rain, etc. and trying to figure out where to go.

Or the detective was waiting for Scottie’s specific vehicle to arrive at the course so he could dive in front of it and haul him off the jail. It really could go either way.
I don’t think anybody is saying he targeted Scheffler

I think players routinely disregard non-police traffic guides when entering courses because they’re not the general public and should have access to the course immediately as those traffic guides are for spectators, etc. And at 5:30 AM that’s what he thought was happening, especially considering other players did the exact same thing

Reactions: blackout2435

Well the good news is we know cops never make false statements about an arrest....

I don’t think anybody is saying he targeted Scheffler

I think players routinely disregard non-police traffic guides when entering courses because they’re not the general public and should have access to the course immediately as those traffic guides are for spectators, etc. And at 5:30 AM that’s what he thought was happening, especially considering other players did the exact same thing
He was driving either on the median or in the oncoming lanes depending on which report you read. Whether he thought is was doing what he was supposed to do or not, if a police officer tells you to stop, you stop. Tell him who you are and then wait for him to let you in. In no circumstances is it ok to just proceed and ignore the cop telling you to stop just because you think you know better than they do. Come on now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT