ADVERTISEMENT

Scheffler arrested outside PGA where a car wreck had occurred

The fact that you can't manage to engage in this conversation without making derogatory comments about the officer is telling.

Scottie shouldn't have been arrested. But Scottie also should have stopped when the cop told him to. And if the cop tried to stop him and Scottie kept driving (creating a dangerous situation for the cop), then he was at the mercy of the officers.
Because the officer is an idiot. Call a spade a spade.

A TON of assumptions being made in this thread by the popo haters.

It doesn't matter if the guy was driving the f'ing Pope-mobile. If circumstances at the scene of the accident required all traffic--not just non-PGA tour player traffic--to stop (i.e., so that a body could be removed or so that a crime scene could be preserved if there was potential involuntary manslaughter), you have to obey an officer's orders. And if the circumstance surrounding the exchange between them was along those lines--where the officers were in the midst of something that required the scene to remain static--and ANYONE is not obeying orders to stop, that's absolutely a crime that could justify an on-spot arrest. Especially if he came close to hitting the officer with his vehicle after being told to remain stopped.

Again, I have no idea if those were the circumstances, or if it really was a cop on a power trip. But jumping to assumptions of "bad policing" or the officer not being a "reasonable human" says more about a problem you generally have with policemen than the actual situation here. An arrest could very well have been warranted if the guy disobeyed a reasonable police order at a potential crime scene and threatened the officer's physical safety in the process.
Felony assault. Good grief.

Because the officer is an idiot. Call a spade a spade.
He told Scottie to stop and Scottie didn't. He tried to make him stop and he was drug 10-20 yards before Scottie stopped. The office got Scottie out of the car and put handcuffs on him. The video shows multiple officers arresting Scottie. You are assuming whatever other facts you want to make your case.

The truth is this could have been avoided if Scottie just stopped when the officer told him to. Then give him his credentials and talk it out. I mean, blaming the officer AFTER Scottie disobeyed his direct order and drug him 10-20 yards down the street is a bold choice.

Yep, and rich guys never have an attitude that the law doesn't apply to them.

Of course. People reaching conclusions in the immediate aftermath of something are generally not accurate, but some folks have are convinced they know what happened already. It has been an entertaining thread for sure

Watching all of you use your jump to conclusions mats this morning has been entertaining
What conclusion have I jumped to? All I've said is Scottie shouldn't have been arrested and that he should have obeyed the cop.

How is that jumping to conclusions? Oh wait, it's not.

Reactions: maugwa
That was how I interpreted the affidavit as well…that he drove into the oncoming lanes of traffic where outbound traffic was flowing…and then disregarded the detective trying to stop him and he was knocked to the ground by the vehicle. Scheffler may have not been paying attention or was confused by flashing lights, dark, rain, etc. and trying to figure out where to go.

Or the detective was waiting for Scottie’s specific vehicle to arrive at the course so he could dive in front of it and haul him off the jail. It really could go either way.
sounds like the reporter was right behind Scottie. So more than one was going the wrong way it seems. Seems like a chaotic scene that wasn't handled very well by multiple individuals.

Reactions: TivoliDawg
A TON of assumptions being made in this thread by the popo haters.

It doesn't matter if the guy was driving the f'ing Pope-mobile. If circumstances at the scene of the accident required all traffic--not just non-PGA tour player traffic--to stop (i.e., so that a body could be removed or so that a crime scene could be preserved if there was potential involuntary manslaughter), you have to obey an officer's orders. And if the circumstance surrounding the exchange between them was along those lines--where the officers were in the midst of something that required the scene to remain static--and ANYONE is not obeying orders to stop, that's absolutely a crime that could justify an on-spot arrest. Especially if he came close to hitting the officer with his vehicle after being told to remain stopped.

Again, I have no idea if those were the circumstances, or if it really was a cop on a power trip. But jumping to assumptions of "bad policing" or the officer not being a "reasonable human" says more about a problem you generally have with policemen than the actual situation here. An arrest could very well have been warranted if the guy disobeyed a reasonable police order at a potential crime scene and threatened the officer's physical safety in the process.
The scene was so chaotic and the need to maintain order was so high that they had enough officers to stop everything they were doing to get together and arrest a golfer going into a tournament and send him downtown to be booked.

Yes, that's exactly what they need to be doing with the finite resources in a "chaotic" scene. You can call me a police hater (laughable), I could call you a bootlicker, none of it changes what is fairly obvious, which is that someone overreacted to an order not being obeyed, even though it may not have been intentional. Because some people don't like orders not being obeyed.

If this were a justified charge, it will be prosecuted accordingly. It won't be because it isn't. Defending clownish behavior encourages clownish behavior.

Reactions: pauldixon3
The fact that you can't manage to engage in this conversation without making derogatory comments about the officer is telling.

Scottie shouldn't have been arrested. But Scottie also should have stopped when the cop told him to. And if the cop tried to stop him and Scottie kept driving (creating a dangerous situation for the cop), then he was at the mercy of the officers.
That last part is why this nonsense happens. It's an egregious use of discretion, and they have too much of it.

Of course the vent has a lack of common sense. What about this guy would tell you he's likely to intentionally be a dick to police officers?
To be clear he should be given the benefit of the doubt. Just never seen the vent do so.

Reactions: TivoliDawg
Of course. People reaching conclusions in the immediate aftermath of something are generally not accurate, but some folks have are convinced they know what happened already. It has been an entertaining thread for sure
I think for me it's easy to see both sides of this. The police have a tough job - especially at a big event in the dark with bad weather and a fatal accident having occurred. Scotty is likely confused as to what's going on given the factors above and likely did what he thought was the right thing. I could easily see him (or myself or any of y'all) accidentally hitting the gas instead of the brakes when a cop "attaches" himself to the car for whatever reason. I am sure this will all get washed out as they both likely did what they thought was right and both sides probably could have handled it better. It sure would have been fun to see this board had it been Patrick Reed being arrested instead of Scottie. I can't stand Reed and for sure would have taken the cops side in that instance.

Jeff Darlington posted that the police officer attempted to attach himself to Scottie’s car and when that happened he stopped the car and got out. The officer then proceeded to scream at him, shoved him against the car, and immediately cuffed him and put him in the back of a cruiser.

The officer grabbed Scheffler's arm to pull him out of the vehicle, according to Darlington. The officer reached inside the vehicle to open the door, and once Scheffler was pulled out, he was pushed against the car and placed in handcuffs.

Darlington was standing at the entrance when Scheffler was detained. Darlington said Scheffler turned to him and asked, "Can you help?"

According to Darlington, an officer instructed him to back away.

"You need to get out of the way," the officer told Darlington. "There's nothing you can do. Scottie Scheffler is going to jail."

If the body cam footage supports it's a BAD look for the PD for sure especially if he was in a marked player courtesy car.
If true, hope Scotty sues the hell out of them.......

The scene was so chaotic and the need to maintain order was so high that they had enough officers to stop everything they were doing to get together and arrest a golfer going into a tournament and send him downtown to be booked.

Yes, that's exactly what they need to be doing with the finite resources in a "chaotic" scene. You can call me a police hater (laughable), I could call you a bootlicker, none of it changes what is fairly obvious, which is that someone overreacted to an order not being obeyed, even though it may not have been intentional. Because some people don't like orders not being obeyed.

If this were a justified charge, it will be prosecuted accordingly. It won't be because it isn't. Defending clownish behavior encourages clownish behavior.
Hard to argue with the guy who has the whole thing figured out and all the things unknown to the rest of the world conveniently fall on the side of his pre-existing prejudices.

• Haha
Reactions: maugwa
Hard to argue with the guy who has the whole thing figured out and all the things unknown to the rest of the world conveniently fall on the side of his pre-existing prejudices.
Yes, it's a preexisting prejudice of mine that most golfers going into a tournament aren't committing felony assault, so you got me.

Worst nightmare man. I'm not a Scottie fan but I really feel for him here. I can imagine he was thinking about his round and just assumed it was regular security. No way he was actually "trying to run over an officer" as it was said. I get that the police are doing their job and not faulting them at all. Just saying this appears to be a legit case of an unfortunate circumstance at the absolute worst possible time. Hopefully cooler heads will prevail once the dust settles. Surely they won't actually prosecute this.
I can't fathom them following through with it, but man what if they had shot him... His odds would of probably dropped to 10-1.

Right this second Scheffler is at -5 and +450 to win
Right this second English is at -6 and +4000 to win
Right this second Hubbard is -8 and +3500 to win

Yes, it's a preexisting prejudice of mine that most golfers going into a tournament aren't committing felony assault, so you got me.
I’d say I’m disposed to believe both that an officer wouldn’t arrest without cause and a golfer wouldn’t assault an officer. One or both of those were violated. No idea which.

But I will say that for every bad cop story I’ve heard, I’ve seen or heard just as many of entitled jerks refusing to obey reasonable police orders because he’s trying to make a tee time.

Last edited:
Davenport witnessed the incident and said the officer "attached" himself to SS's car. If he grabbed onto a moving vehicle, how can this be considered intentional on SS's part?

Personally, I think you guys arguing your policing narratives this morning are all just wasting your breath IMHO. Clearly this was all an elaborate stunt coordinated by long time PGA publicist Virginia Venit as an attempt to spike ratings and make the painfully boring Scheffler (who will likely dominate the sport’s plot for next decade) a much more interesting and “complex” character.

Oh and so I don’t get sentenced to Chile (and for anyone not immediately picking up on my Virginia Venit callback), here is one of her in her heyday and a very iconic “happy place”…
happy-place.jpg

Last edited:
Amazing how some simple situations escalate . Scotty may have not umderstoid or followed the instruction but what happened next seemed avoidable. Why would the policeman throw himself on a car that was not a threat and really had no where to go. It was a traffic jam. Good grief

Reactions: NC_K9 and jdreyiv
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT