ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATE Tuesday Practice Report: What we saw, what we learned

Anthony Dasher

Circle of Honor
Staff
Aug 29, 2007
Winterville, Georgia
Afternoon everyone.
Had another 12 or so minutes. This is what we saw.

ANTHONY DASHER

As far as the OL goes, one of the reasons we're seeing Tate Ragledge at center is because Jared Wilson appears to be banged up.
Wilson, Warren Brinson and Jordan Hall were each working with trainers off to the side. All three were padded up, however, so that's good news as it means they are at least taking part in some drills.
The OL was Xavier Truss at RT, Dylan Fairchild at RG, Ragledge at center, Micah Morris at left guard and Earnest Greene at left tackle.

Running back Nate Frazier was in a black jersey, but was padded up and going through drills.
Savovie White was also in a black jersey but going through drills.

During passing drills, the WRs and TEs lined up as such:

Group One - Dillon Bell, Dom Lovett, Oscar Delp and Arian Smith
Group Two - Colbie Young, Michael Jackson, Lawson Luckie and Anthony Evans III
Group Three - Cole Speer, Sacovie White, Ben Yurosek and London Humphreys

JED MAY

A few injury notes for the defense:

I saw DB Chris Peal in a black jersey. He had a labrum repair at the end of spring.

Outside linebacker Gabe Harris was in a black jersey.

Freshman corner Ellis Robinson IV was in a regular contact jersey, but he had a wrap on his right hand/wrist. He looked to be a full participant in drills, at least while we were out there.

Senior linebacker Smael Mondon looked to be in a regular white jersey, although he didn't appear to be taking his full complement of reps.

The defensive backs opened practice by going working on tackling. The corners were attacking stationary dummies, while the safeties and stars were attacking a blocker, shedding the block, and tackling a ball carrier. I saw freshman safety KJ Bolden with a nice rep in this drill.

When I came back by the defensive backs later, they were working on walkthroughs of different coverages against certain route combinations.

The outside linebackers and defensive linemen were working on shed moves to get off blocks. Hybrid player Jalon Walker was working with the outside linebackers during the media viewing portion. The outside linebackers later moved on to working on pass rush moves.

Two freshmen who caught my eye as looking very impressive - defensive lineman Justin Greene and outside linebacker Quintavius Johnson.

PATRICK GARBIN

As we waited to be let into practice, I spoke to former Georgia linebacker Rennie Curran. It was great seeing him. Fifteen years since playing for the Bulldogs, he’s still stacked and looks like he could lay someone out.

While waiting, Kirby Smart was loud on the mic. There were a lot of “hurry ups,” a couple of “you don’t know *&#$,” and multiple references to “Tickle Me Elmo” or “Elmo”—but I’m not sure what that was all about.

As we walked in, redshirt freshman defensive back Chris Peal was running solo drills wearing a non-contact black jersey. He was the first of several players who were wearing non-contact black jerseys.

I first watched the quarterbacks, primarily focused on the skilled players. Their rotation was Carson Beck, Gunner Stockton, Ryan Puglisi, Jaden Rashada, and Colter Ginn. In the few reps I saw, Rashada looked smooth, especially compared to last Thursday. Puglisi looked good. Physically, he has a pro-type body and looks more "solid" than he did back in the spring.

At one point, Smart said over the mic, “[Xavier] Truss and Ernest [Greene], y’all set the tone, set the whole group’s effort!”

At running back, freshman Nate Frazier was wearing a black jersey. Apparently, he wasn’t in black as recently as Sunday. The running back rotation was as follows: Trevor EtienneCash JonesRoderick RobinsonChauncey BowensBranson RobinsonBrandon Mathis (West Georgia transfer)—and Frazier. I thought Branson Robinson looked good out there. Of all the backs, he seemed to have the quickest first step when being handed the ball.

Catching balls out of the backfield, Etienne made a nice catch of a medium ball. He resembled a speedy wide receiver when making the catch. Others apparently struggled with the drill, prompting Smart to instruct some to “run, then look for the ball!” instead of vice-versa.

Our observation time ended with us catching a portion of a drill where the quarterbacks were throwing to three receivers and a tight end. From what I saw, the rotation: 1) Dillon BellArian SmithDominic LovettOscar Delp; 2) Michael JacksonAnthony EvansColbie YoungLawson Luckie; 3) London HumphreysSacovie White (who was in a black jersey)—(I didn’t spot the No. 3’s third receiver)—Ben Yurosek.

LANCE MCCURLEY

Kirby Smart
was very animated on the microphone today, yelling at players from all position groups. And even something at us, the media.

I mainly focused on offense. I started out watching the quarterbacks. This was the first time I got eyes on Jaden Rashada and Ryan Puglisi. Rashada was being coached up by offensive coordinator Mike Bobo and you can tell he's still learning Georgia's offensive system.

On the other hand, Puglisi looked like he couldn't miss today. He also looked the part of a pro-style quarterback. He made a great pass across his body to wide receiver Anthony Evans and hit Arian Smith on a post route. Smith caught the ball in stride. It was pretty to watch.

London Humphreys was another wide receiver who caught my eye today. His hands were like glue today, catching everything. Wide receivers coach James Coley did get onto him, though, for running the wrong route during a rep, but he caught the ball anyway. He was entertaining to watch.

I didn't watch much of the offensive line, but I did see center Jared Wilson working off to the side by himself.

As far as running backs go, Roderick Robinson looks like a dude. As Patrick said, Nate Frazier was in a non-contact jersey, but he was running through the drills.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.