ADVERTISEMENT

Wear a mask, stop the spread.

After reading this entire chain, I noticed that you keep banging the drum on facts, facts, facts. In reality, you provide very few facts and basically zero data to back up your claims - just anecdotal stories. A sampling below:

You: "I, in fact, did say that millions were in hospitals with severe sickness due to the virus. Where I 100% believe that to be the case (because it is), the confusion comes with a couple of words I left out,..." There are currently about 80,000 people total in hospitals in the entire US due to Covid. There are only around 1,000,000 total hospital beds in the US. So your "fact" that there are millions in hospital is just wrong. Just because you "100% believe" something, doesn't mean it's correct.

You: "Also, I’ve known several people who have gotten this virus. Some it didn’t affect at all. Others (even younger people), it hit VERY hard. Some wore masks, but did nothing else to help prevent it. Others (most) did not wear masks. And out of those that did not wear masks, a couple said they HAD wore masks (they later admitted they did not).
Also, this article (from....brietbart? Lolol) is based off of 154 case patients against 160 control patients. What about the other 12+ million people? " You continue to cite anecdotal and personal observations and not data. Maybe you are right that masks are effecting in stopping the spread of Covid, and there is evidence that would support that. However, there is also lots of evidence and theories that masks might not actually be all that effective. One example is the article you dismissed because it was from Breitbart. While you might think Breitbart is a bad source, the article is quoting and analyzing a CDC study (link below). https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/pdfs/mm6936a5-H.pdf

You: "Several states have hospitals overwhelmed. Texas, Nevada, Idaho, Kansas, Maryland, etc." There are clearly some hotspots and specific hospitals with challenges, but there is a big difference between a state's hospital system being overwhelmed and a state having a few specific hospitals with increased hospitalizations.

You: "if hospitals aren’t being overwhelmed and at capacity, please tell me why places like El Paso had to turn a convention center into an emergency site with hospital beds, why people are being airlifted out of the city because their hospitals are too full, doctors in Lubbock state that their hospitals are full and cannot take anyone else, Odessa nurses and doctors are saying they cannot afford any more hospital beds, hospitals are understaffed..." While these might technically be "facts," they can often be misleading or exaggerate an issue when presented without data or context to support. I would encourage you to read this twitter thread, it is eye opening. It shows about 12 headlines/article quotes regarding overwhelmed hospitals, flying in nurses from other locations, diverting ambulances to other hospitals, etc. They read just like articles and stories from Covid, but they are actually from 2018. Covid is clearly worse than the 2018 flu season, but this helps put Covid in context and will make you think twice when reading sensational headlines.

You did a better job than I. Thanks

Reactions: George Hayduke
After reading this entire chain, I noticed that you keep banging the drum on facts, facts, facts. In reality, you provide very few facts and basically zero data to back up your claims - just anecdotal stories. A sampling below:

You: "I, in fact, did say that millions were in hospitals with severe sickness due to the virus. Where I 100% believe that to be the case (because it is), the confusion comes with a couple of words I left out,..." There are currently about 80,000 people total in hospitals in the entire US due to Covid. There are only around 1,000,000 total hospital beds in the US. So your "fact" that there are millions in hospital is just wrong. Just because you "100% believe" something, doesn't mean it's correct.

You: "Also, I’ve known several people who have gotten this virus. Some it didn’t affect at all. Others (even younger people), it hit VERY hard. Some wore masks, but did nothing else to help prevent it. Others (most) did not wear masks. And out of those that did not wear masks, a couple said they HAD wore masks (they later admitted they did not).
Also, this article (from....brietbart? Lolol) is based off of 154 case patients against 160 control patients. What about the other 12+ million people? " You continue to cite anecdotal and personal observations and not data. Maybe you are right that masks are effecting in stopping the spread of Covid, and there is evidence that would support that. However, there is also lots of evidence and theories that masks might not actually be all that effective. One example is the article you dismissed because it was from Breitbart. While you might think Breitbart is a bad source, the article is quoting and analyzing a CDC study (link below). https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/pdfs/mm6936a5-H.pdf

You: "Several states have hospitals overwhelmed. Texas, Nevada, Idaho, Kansas, Maryland, etc." There are clearly some hotspots and specific hospitals with challenges, but there is a big difference between a state's hospital system being overwhelmed and a state having a few specific hospitals with increased hospitalizations.

You: "if hospitals aren’t being overwhelmed and at capacity, please tell me why places like El Paso had to turn a convention center into an emergency site with hospital beds, why people are being airlifted out of the city because their hospitals are too full, doctors in Lubbock state that their hospitals are full and cannot take anyone else, Odessa nurses and doctors are saying they cannot afford any more hospital beds, hospitals are understaffed..." While these might technically be "facts," they can often be misleading or exaggerate an issue when presented without data or context to support. I would encourage you to read this twitter thread, it is eye opening. It shows about 12 headlines/article quotes regarding overwhelmed hospitals, flying in nurses from other locations, diverting ambulances to other hospitals, etc. They read just like articles and stories from Covid, but they are actually from 2018. Covid is clearly worse than the 2018 flu season, but this helps put Covid in context and will make you think twice when reading sensational headlines.

-You failed to recognize a key word in your post, which is the word “currently.” This has been going on for almost a year now. So, your response leaves out critical information.

-my personal stories are an additional to the tons of information on this board that has already been posted. While, yes, Breitbart uses CDC studies, you’ll find that Breitbart puts their OWN spin on what the findings say. You’ll see in that article that they say things along the lines of “the study shows that masks don’t do anything” (obviously not an exact quote), but that’s not what the data and study REALLY shows. So, while they cite the research, they twist what the research shows. Which is why I laugh at the ridiculousness that is Breitbart.

-It’s really not a difference, at all. Because when one system is hurting, that effects the other systems, as well. And, it’s more than just a couple of states having a couple of instances. This is an issue. Hospitals are showing it. State leaders are showing it. Etc.

-Those articles do nothing lmfao. They are showing how bad the flu was? Well COVID is proven to be much worse. Just because that was also a situation, doesn’t mean that THIS isn’t. So, that actually supports my statement. Preesh.

Reactions: celticdawg
That article does not say that masks are ineffective against protecting against COVID. You are wildly misconstruing the data and the discussion of the article. Breitbart very selectively used quotes out of context to build a case against masks despite the article never indicating mask use was ineffective in either data or discussion.

First, the article indicates the case-patient group was significantly more likely to have come into close contact with a person who is known to be positive for COVID, mostly family members. Second, the article says that the case-patient group was significantly more likely to engage in activities such as dining in a restaurant where mask use and social distancing is difficult to maintain, therefore limiting the effectiveness of wearing a mask.

The article in no way establishes that mask use is ineffective. The case-patient group and control group had relatively limited adoption of face mask use in public areas, but did not report wearing face masks while eating in a restaurant or while in private with family members (some of whom were known COVID positive).

The article advocates for increasing COVID protection protocols inside the home if a family member is COVID positive due to the prevalence of household transmission. It then advocates for increasing safety measures in restaurants and other public venues.
I'm not wildly misconstruing anything. Re-read my post. I did not take some entrenched stance. I was purely pointing out that just because something came from Breitbart doesn't immediately mean it's wrong or invalid. I also didn't say that the CDC study established that masks were ineffective, but that there are studies and information that calls into question just how effective masks actually are. That is not me saying they are ineffective, but establishing that no one really knows exactly how effective they are at stopping the spread of covid. I wear masks when around others and at all appropriate times. I just find it very tiresome how simple people's thoughts around Covid can be and how comfortable people (on all sides of the Covid discussion) are with just accepting a narrative and trying to grab information that suits whatever side they fall on.

-You failed to recognize a key word in your post, which is the word “currently.” This has been going on for almost a year now. So, your response leaves out critical information.

-my personal stories are an additional to the tons of information on this board that has already been posted. While, yes, Breitbart uses CDC studies, you’ll find that Breitbart puts their OWN spin on what the findings say. You’ll see in that article that they say things along the lines of “the study shows that masks don’t do anything” (obviously not an exact quote), but that’s not what the data and study REALLY shows. So, while they cite the research, they twist what the research shows. Which is why I laugh at the ridiculousness that is Breitbart.

-It’s really not a difference, at all. Because when one system is hurting, that effects the other systems, as well. And, it’s more than just a couple of states having a couple of instances. This is an issue. Hospitals are showing it. State leaders are showing it. Etc.

-Those articles do nothing lmfao. They are showing how bad the flu was? Well COVID is proven to be much worse. Just because that was also a situation, doesn’t mean that THIS isn’t. So, that actually supports my statement. Preesh.
Not asking you to think the same as me, just asking you to think. I may have asked too much. Preesh.

Reactions: Deadlyputter
Not asking you to think the same as me, just asking you to think. I may have asked too much. Preesh.
Just because I came to a logical conclusion that disagrees with you, doesn’t mean that I haven’t thought. In fact, there is no doubt in my mind that I have thought more about this than you have. I guarantee that I’ve also known more people that have been impacted by this virus than you have. Your ignorance does not mean others are also ignorant.

Reactions: celticdawg
I'm not wildly misconstruing anything. Re-read my post. I did not take some entrenched stance. I was purely pointing out that just because something came from Breitbart doesn't immediately mean it's wrong or invalid. I also didn't say that the CDC study established that masks were ineffective, but that there are studies and information that calls into question just how effective masks actually are. That is not me saying they are ineffective, but establishing that no one really knows exactly how effective they are at stopping the spread of covid. I wear masks when around others and at all appropriate times. I just find it very tiresome how simple people's thoughts around Covid can be and how comfortable people (on all sides of the Covid discussion) are with just accepting a narrative and trying to grab information that suits whatever side they fall on.

I've already posted multiple articles is this thread validating that masks are efficacious in reducing COVID transmission.

The Breitbart article directly states that masks are ineffective against COVID: "An overlooked study published recently by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) suggests that cloth face coverings or masks are mostly ineffective in preventing the spread of the Chinese coronavirus as promoted by public health officials."

Your claim that Breitbart is "quoting and analyzing" the CDC study is total bs. I actually read the report, so I do know what is being said and the context the claims are made.

Literally nowhere does the CDC study make the claim that masks are ineffective. The study establishes that masks are ineffective when you don't wear them in restaurants or in private with COVID-positive family members. It is only by misconstruing the article's data and discussion that one can develop the narrative that masks are ineffective.

It's comical that you would claim that it is "very tiresome how simple people's thoughts around Covid can be" and then spread bs like this. Ignorance manifest.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT