ADVERTISEMENT

what was your worst job?

My brother in law got a job at Chuck E. Cheese in Jimmy Carter Blvd. in Norcross in the 1990s. After awhile they asked him they asked him to be the dang mouse mascot in the mouse suit. They apparently had a drunk bum that quit doing the job right before him with less than elite personal hygiene. The mask smelled like sweaty booze and it was the summer so it was hot in that costume. Kids were always pulling his tail and tripping him and older kids thought it was funny to try to kick him in the nuts. He did this for a whole summer in high school. He doesn't care for me to bring this up at family get togethers.
General Laborer on a Construction Crew for a big construction firm in ATL. FCK painters and dry wall guys, they are some of the nastiest SOBs on the planet. Leaving 5 gallon buckets of piss and crap in the houses is not cool.

And this is stupid total bull sh!t. No teacher I know of went on any vacations and they have families they are trying to protect.
Well there are plenty of reports on it.

I never said everyone.

Most teachers are younger (low risk to them) and with almost no risk at all to the children. Many refused even after the vaccines and tried to find other reasons to not go back in person.

The damage to those kids will take awhile to discover but plenty of criticism on teachers is deserved.

HVAC installation . My goodness that sucked ass.
Gonna piggy back off of this one. My mother was a receptionist at a HVAC company and got me my first job at 13 helping the original owner tear down old units. i worked my way up in the company to the installation crew. I hope the good lord never makes me go back to that.

Reactions: Hydrant Chaser
I spent a summer working the sample department of a carpet mill. It was HOT. They tried to cool the building by running sprinklers on the roof to wash off the heat. I saw two separate people cut the end of their fingers off on a beveler, I had to take both of the to the ER (volunteered because I knew they AC at the hospital). Finally, I frequently smoked pot with a 28 year old grandmother who the the hyster operator, safety first!
Doing the math here. Was her daughter 14?

I haven't had a ton of jobs. Worked for my dad in HS and summers and also at a bar during undergrad. Both of those were fine. I've had 2 jobs post grad school so my worst was probably a process engineer at intel. Pay was good but not for the hours I worked. Regularly worked 65-70 hours/week and on-call at least once a month. So glad to be onto something new

My freshman and sophomore years in college I worked at a gas station for 30hrs a week, lawn maintenance during the spring and summer for about 4-8 hours a week and also unloaded 18 wheelers on an as need basis for another supply company.

Cleaning the rest rooms at a popular gas station is by far the worst. The others were bad in 95 degree weather but dealing with public restrooms was still worse.

My brother in law got a job at Chuck E. Cheese in Jimmy Carter Blvd. in Norcross in the 1990s. After awhile they asked him they asked him to be the dang mouse mascot in the mouse suit. They apparently had a drunk bum that quit doing the job right before him with less than elite personal hygiene. The mask smelled like sweaty booze and it was the summer so it was hot in that costume. Kids were always pulling his tail and tripping him and older kids thought it was funny to try to kick him in the nuts. He did this for a whole summer in high school. He doesn't care for me to bring this up at family get togethers.
Picking tobacco in the south Georgia heat!! We did it the old fashioned way-walking beside a sled and carrying arm loads of tobacco! I last did it in 1972 and swore I would never do it again and I haven't!

Working in a corrugated box plant, 68 hours a week. Union job. On the hot end of the corrugator, it’s bad- 12 hour shifts with someone who speaks nothing but Portuguese. My hands were calloused with a quarter inch thick callous, so thick to where they wouldn’t bleed when cut by the razor sharp board. Having a smoke on the loading dock at 3 AM, that’s living. You know, I kind of miss it. Nothing but work, eat, sleep, repeat. It made me what I am today, hard work, and that’s a good thing. I pity people that don’t know what hard work is

The summer before my senior year at UGA, I worked at Petland in Athens for one day.

I was already working at the apartment complex where I lived (my compensation for that was mostly free rent for my share of a 4-bedroom apartment), and I needed another job to fund my trips to away games across the SEC. I had some retail experience in high school, and I knew my way around pet stuff -- you name it, I probably had it as a pet growing up -- so I figured the then-new pet store on the west side of town would be a reasonable choice.

During my interview, they pitched me on the commission system on the floor and told me I might get to sell kittens and puppies, or maybe they'd stick me in exotics or aquariums, since I knew that stuff pretty well. Either way, I was satisfied; I knew I could sell pets and pet supplies as well as anybody possibly could.

I show up for training, and they sit me in front of a TV/VCR combo to watch some standard OSHA and sexual harassment videos. Meh, whatever, par for the course. They told me I wouldn't be paid for watching the training videos, but they were required before I could get out onto the sales floor. (I didn't know any better, so I acknowledged this instruction and kept watching the videos for free. For three days.)

Finally, it was time for my official first day. They told me to wear a button-up shirt and khakis, as they were waiting on a new shipment of uniforms to come in. I wore one of my nicer shirts and a pair of pressed khaki pants. I was really excited to find out, finally, in which department I'd be working.

I showed up for my first shift ten minutes early, and the manager on duty said "Okay, ready for a day in the kennel?" and handed me a spray bottle. I was NOT being put to work on the sales floor -- I was consigned to an eight-hour shift of kennel duty, which meant running from cage to cage and cleaning up the CONSTANT barrage of excrement from a total of about 40 puppies. It was grueling. I ruined my nice shirt.

I showed up the next day, assuming that had been a one-time thing, only to be greeted with the spray bottle again. I quit on the spot.

They never paid me.

-- 00 Dawg

Milked rattlesnakes for tourists one summer for Serpent City in Myrtle Beach in the 60’s

[/QUOTE]
According to you! Demonizing an entire profession like that is like saying all cops are racist psychopaths... it just makes you sound bitter and dumb

I'm not demonizing a profession, I simply disagree that a 9 month job, with literally no accountability, and guaranteed pay regardless of production is "tough" in comparison to most other professions. Teachers Unions push this garbage narrative while protecting the worst in the profession.

Reactions: SLC_Dawg
My uncle used to own a meat distributing business in Athens, including supplying meat to a lot of the barbecue restaurants around northeast Georgia. Summer between my sophomore & junior years at UGA, one morning a week (in addition to the other "regular" job I had), I would go down there with about 7 other guys at 5:00 AM to unload the truck that brought the meat in, then we would organize it into loads to go out in vans to the individual restaurants. So another guy & I would make those deliveries all around the area, and since I was new I would always end up unloading the van while the other guy talked to the restaurant owners. We would get finished around 9:00, and then I would have to go straight to an anthropology class I had in the basement of the library that summer, still smelling of meat. Not fun.

Water and fire damage mitigation. Those types of job aren't exactly fun, but the part they don't tell you about is trauma cleanup and sewer backups.... That was where the worst work experiences of my life part came into play.

I'm not demonizing a profession, I simply disagree that a 9 month job, with literally no accountability, and guaranteed pay regardless of production is "tough" in comparison to most other professions. Teachers Unions push this garbage narrative while protecting the worst in the profession.
[/QUOTE]
You mean like being a ceo who screws up and gets a huge golden parachute? Or LLC’s that allow u to fail over and over and Keep filing bankruptcy... this is what I’m saying.. you’re just saying generalized statements that you’ve reversed engineered to fit how u feel emotionally about one perticular profession!

You mean like being a ceo who screws up and gets a huge golden parachute? Or LLC’s that allow u to fail over and over and Keep filing bankruptcy... this is what I’m saying.. you’re just saying generalized statements that you’ve reversed engineered to fit how u feel emotionally about one perticular profession!
[/QUOTE]

You've blown your cover, you're probably "teaching" right now....have a great school year.

Reactions: LetsGodawg
They are grossly underpaid and deal with moronic kids of moronic parents plus be around moronic administrators. They have earned the right to bitch. BTW - Teacher contracts are based on 180 days of school not 365 so they technically are unpaid when school is not in session. Know your facts.

Are there teachers out there who thought they would get rich being a teacher? Serious question.

When I was 15 (1995), the only job I could find was working as a cashier at the Golden Corral on Barrett Parkway in Kennesaw. I have no idea how it is still open, but it is. I had this boss named "Todd" who thought he was hot shit because he was a 3rd string offensive lineman at Furman and was now a Golden Corral manager with a big letterman's ring and he banged the waitresses after work. I thought Todd was a loser because he went to Furman and not a real football school and because his first job out of college was managing the Golden Corral. (sidebar, I was on the track and cross country team so I really didn't have the necessary street cred to criticize one's choice of college football programs). So I let Todd know how I felt about Furman and college grads banging high school waitresses at a buffet restaurant. In response, Todd made me clean the bathrooms EVERY SHIFT.

There is a psychology to buffet restaurants, especially back in the 90's that essentially boiled down to value = how much a person can eat for $9.99. Sometimes value = how much a person can eat + a blow out in the bathroom at Golden Corral + 2nd buffet run. Folks would stay for hours, sometimes all day, bring tupperware to take home leftovers. And I always had to clean the bathrooms, which were as foul as any of the jobs listed above involving fecal matter and excrement. That $9.99 all you can eat buffet plate included a fountain drink and the opportunity to shit a Jackson Pollack painting on the wall of the men's room (and sometimes the women's). The corn and lentils gave it a real 3D quality.

The statute of limitations has expired so I'll tell you what I did the last night of my job at the Golden Corral. Todd the football god was in the back hammering away at some high school dropout bent over a prep table so I mopped the men's room, which was particularly foul that night and then ran the used mop water through the ice cream machine on cleaning mode and left. I knew then and there I'd never go to Furman and I'd never work in a restaurant ever again.

Are there teachers out there who thought they would get rich being a teacher? Serious question.
So we should pay them little because they don’t want to get rich.. u need therapy man, your values are honestly retarded

[/QUOTE]
There are no teacher unions in GA so I don't know why that matters here in the state we live in.

Reactions: George Hayduke
I teach HS and I'm on year 26. The problem with teaching isn't the job itself, its the lack of discipline the kids show up with. The parenting job done today is so poor. The administrators don't back the teachers and thus less and less people want to get into it. Same way for bus drivers, cafeteria workers, etc. When you have to deal with bad kids all day and don't get supported by the admin, it gets old quick.
Same. Year 26 starting for me too. My biggest gripe is they want every teacher to teach the same way. It has taken the fun out of teaching. 900 days left. Lol.

Me and a buddy during the summer of our jr year of HS dug 80 post holes for a farmers new fence. Haven’t picked up a posthole digger since.

There are no teacher unions in GA so I don't know why that matters here in the state we live in.
[/QUOTE]

There are teachers unions and teachers lobbyists in GA, there is no collective bargaining in GA.

There are teachers unions and teachers lobbyists in GA, there is no collective bargaining in GA.
[/QUOTE]
Right, but if teachers can't "go on strike" I'm not really sure it's the same thing. Everyone should advocate for better conditions/better pay in their given field of employment.

Let's not forget they chose their job. This isn't someone who didn't go to college and has to take the best thing they can get. These are people that went to college and chose to go to that job everyday. Teachers that gripe about their job is one of my biggest pet peeves. Don't like it, quit and do something else.
People that think that teachers have it easy with a cushy job and lots of vacation time and complain about them is my pet peeve. If anyone thinks teaching is so easy with tons of vacation then quit your current job and start teaching.

Most folks who trash teachers are f'ing idiots who wouldn't last a week in a classroom setting. Are there shitty ones? Of course. Just like in any job. Summers off are nice, but a majority of people don't understand that teachers get paid for the months they do work (10) spread out over 12 months.
I think everyone understands how they’re paid.

Reactions: NWGA_DAWG
People that think that teachers have it easy with a cushy job and lots of vacation time and complain about them is my pet peeve. If anyone thinks teaching is so easy with tons of vacation then quit your current job and start teaching.
If teaching really was "easy" and "cushy" there wouldn't always be a shortage of them, point blank, it's that simple. My mom was a speech pathologist in public schools for over 30 years and I can still remember her working at the kitchen table on IEPs and other paperwork until 8 and 9 at night a lot.

Reactions: George Hayduke
They are grossly underpaid and deal with moronic kids of moronic parents plus be around moronic administrators. They have earned the right to bitch. BTW - Teacher contracts are based on 180 days of school not 365 so they technically are unpaid when school is not in session. Know your facts.
Most people don’t get paid when they’re off. What’s the problem?

Reactions: NWGA_DAWG
Surveying land in the mid 1970's.
Swinging a bush hook from sun to sun in the middle of a swamp somewhere near Hell Ga.

Right, but if teachers can't "go on strike" I'm not really sure it's the same thing. Everyone should advocate for better conditions/better pay in their given field of employment.
[/QUOTE]

Tell that to Roy Barnes, teachers backed unions/lobby have a lot of political power in GA.

Not saying they have an easy job, I am saying they know what they signed up for. Still only work 9 months a year, have every weekend away from the "office".

[/QUOTE]
If you’re unsatisfied with conditions or pay, you quit the job. If the business wants to retain good employees, it improves the pay and/or conditions.

If you’re unsatisfied with conditions or pay, you quit the job. If the business wants to retain good employees, it improves the pay and/or conditions.
[/QUOTE]
If you're Burger King yes. Teaching isn't a private business, so the solution to a teacher shortage isn't just "pay them more".

Not saying they have an easy job, I am saying they know what they signed up for. Still only work 9 months a year, have every weekend away from the "office".
Summer break is two months. Yes they have Christmas and other holidays but most parents take the same holidays off too and most of the people I know have the weekend away from the office. What’s your point?

Reactions: n8dawg_53
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT