ADVERTISEMENT

The Grill downtown needs help

they arw trying to open back mid January but have to hire an entire new staff which is a major pain right now as you all know. If you know anyone who needs a job in the restaurant business in Athens send them there or let me know and I will get them to the owner
Great news. Hope they are able to do it

giphy.gif

I’m very excited to hear that and hope they can open back up and be successful. But I’ll admit their over-the-top masking policy left a lot of patrons with mixed feelings towards their business - and that’s not just me, but lots of others who have been vocal. I hope they’re past all that. Wish them the best and look forward to having another delicious burger there soon.
JC

I’m very excited to hear that and hope they can open back up and be successful. But I’ll admit their over-the-top masking policy left a lot of patrons with mixed feelings towards their business - and that’s not just me, but lots of others who have been vocal. I hope they’re past all that. Wish them the best and look forward to having another delicious burger there soon.
JC
So what exactly was their policy? Haven’t been to The Grill in years but wouldn’t mind trying it again at some point.

This needs to happen. Talk about an Athens institution. I got married at the Georgian, with the Georgia Theater hosting the reception, with Brooke Whitmire announcing our wedding party like the starting lineup (complete with Baba O'Riley) and yet the thing that EVERYONE talks about to this day was the midnight serving of fries & feta with chocolate milkshake shots from The Grill. Legendary stuff.

they arw trying to open back mid January but have to hire an entire new staff which is a major pain right now as you all know. If you know anyone who needs a job in the restaurant business in Athens send them there or let me know and I will get them to the owner
Please share this with the owner….Hope it goes well for them….I was at the Ritz Carlton at Reynolds Plantation for a convention in October of ‘21. I had the CEO of one of my accounts let it slip that he was a huge fan of our football team. We skipped out of an afternoon of meetings, and my wife and I drove him up to Athens for a campus tour. It was the Wednesday of our bye week before Florida. He got to see campus with students everywhere. He and my wife jumped out and took pictures of him with the stadium and of him standing under the scoreboard. Then I snuck him into an unlocked gate and took pictures of him on the practice field behind Butts-Mehre. I visited their corporate office in Minnesota last month, and there on his desk was a framed picture of him at Sanford Stadium. During our meeting, he proceeded to tell the others that on his trip to Georgia, “out of all the fancy chef inspired dinners we had, best meal I ate all week was when you took me to that burger place you went to when you were in school at UGA.” He went on to tell them “he insisted on ordering for me and it was awesome.”…..I got us both a patty melt platter with feta fries and a vanilla shake… I’ve been a patron of The Grill since I was a student in the mid/late 80s. I’m excited to see them opening back up. Best of luck!

Last edited:
JC
Yep. I recall them actually having what looked like a "bouncer" to enforce and yell at patrons about their mask policy walking by a few times. Couple that with being detained and harassed about "dining and dashing" one night by their staff when I was at UGA after I just showed up to sit with friends while they ate. Good luck to them, but for me, never again.

So what exactly was their policy? Haven’t been to The Grill in years but wouldn’t mind trying it again at some point.
It was very annoying. Any time you weren't seated at your table you had to be masked. Once our table was literally 7-8 feet from the front door and they wouldn't let us in if we didn't wear a mask to walk those 3 or 4 steps. As soon as we sat down we took them off.

I tried to walk in with a party of 10, and was told that if we didn’t all have masks then we could not come in. We needed to have a mask to wear to the table and then we could take it off. This was summer of 2021 and no where else was really enforcing anything like that.

I said we did not have masks but if they had the paper ones we would gladly put them on to be seated. They said it wasn’t “their job” to supply the masks. Was an @$$hole about it too. We went to Last Resort instead and had a great meal.

F’em. Get woke, go broke. I won’t be back

I used to frequent The Grill a ton back in my days at UGA. Great place. However, I took my family there about a year ago and the Nazi mask policy was a huge turnoff. We went in and ate and the food was still good but their mask policy is enough to make me not want to go back anymore. It was beyond dumb. We had to wear them if we were waiting in line or walking to the table. Once you sat down at a table you didn't have to wear it anymore. The whole thing just made zero sense.

I'm pulling for them but please ditch the mask mandate.

I tried to walk in with a party of 10, and was told that if we didn’t all have masks then we could not come in. We needed to have a mask to wear to the table and then we could take it off. This was summer of 2021 and no where else was really enforcing anything like that.

I said we did not have masks but if they had the paper ones we would gladly put them on to be seated. They said it wasn’t “their job” to supply the masks. Was an @$$hole about it too. We went to Last Resort instead and had a great meal.

F’em. Get woke, go broke. I won’t be back

They still were doing it in November 2021. They did not get my business. Five Bar had a sign in their window indicating that they would not comply with any municipal mask mandates. They got my business.

As a capitalist generally rooting for mom and pop business success, rooting for them.

As a former student and long-time listener to so many people singing the grill’s praises, I have to say it. Most overrated establishment in Athens history. Food is average. Attitude below average. always has been.
I think you have to remember that most of us ate the grill after 2 am

As a capitalist generally rooting for mom and pop business success, rooting for them.

As a former student and long-time listener to so many people singing the grill’s praises, I have to say it. Most overrated establishment in Athens history. Food is average. Attitude below average. always has been.

I generally agree on the food. It is fine, but it is more about going to the Grill and then the actual food.

I will submit the Varsity as the most overrated food in Athens history. Never understood why people loved the food there. Just didn't do it for me.

I think you have to remember that most of us ate the grill after 2 am
Me too. I get it. I’m just saying like many places they are too comfortable with their status as “an institution” in a great location. The food and attitude is not good. If Waffle House was downtown when I was in school I would have gone there every time. I still did most of the time at the best Waffle House in history - the one in five pts.

I generally agree on the food. It is fine, but it is more about going to the Grill and then the actual food.

I will submit the Varsity as the most overrated food in Athens history. Never understood why people loved the food there. Just didn't do it for me.
Yeah Varsity on North Ave to me had more coolness to it. I don’t think it is about the food being “good”. It’s more to me the onlh plaxe you would grab a dog and rings

I am like so many others. The Grill was a frequent stop in college and a game day tradition for me and my kids.

Then came the way over the top mask policy. They were the worst I experienced through all the COVID and post-covid times. And that’s saying something.

If they are back to being normal, I will patronize with my kids for their sake.

And OP, I hope the owner realizes the damage done to their brand with so many loyal customers and is taking measures to overcome that.

Like the grille being ten times better than it was because it was usually served after 2 am, the same applies for the varsity. Weren’t many food places in the 60’s. Everyone walked to the varsity. At least from what my dad has hammered into my head. For them, it was the place to go. To not only eat, but to see people. This became a tradition for them coming back. Including their children. The food wasn’t bad there at all. Just not top of the line. Hell, I cooked the food at Allen’s. Rip Danny self. Loved him. I can promise you there was no secret there. But the kitchen stayed open late, and the steak burgers sure tasted better the later you stayed.

Peppinos pizza was amazing as well after 2. Not nearly as amazing when they stopped serving after two. My memory is failing but for a while, I think you could get Several pitchers there and still drink after 2.

Last edited:
To all the people bitching in this thread about their policies and rudeness. I agree with y'all but they need to survive because it's a downtown staple. If they don't make it I'm sure it'll be backfilled by a corporate chain, which is way worse IMO.

To all the people bitching in this thread about their policies and rudeness. I agree with y'all but they need to survive because it's a downtown staple. If they don't make it I'm sure it'll be backfilled by a corporate chain, which is way worse IMO.
the owner is a customer of mine and we have a great relationship, I will cautiously pass on the complaints and suggestions in hopes it helps the business this time around. I would also encourage others who read this thread to post their complaints, likes, suggestions etc

Like the grille being ten times better than it was because it was usually served after 2 am, the same applies for the varsity. Weren’t many food places in the 60’s. Everyone walked to the varsity. At least from what my dad has hammered into my head. For them, it was the place to go. To not only eat, but to see people. This became a tradition for them coming back. Including their children. The food wasn’t bad there at all. Just not top of the line. Hell, I cooked the food at Allen’s. Rip Danny self. Loved him. I can promise you there was no secret there. But the kitchen stayed open late, and the steak burgers sure tasted better the later you stayed.

Peppinos pizza was amazing as well after 2. Not nearly as amazing when they stopped serving after two. My memory is failing but for a while, I think you could get Several pitchers there and still drink after 2.

Yeah both the Grille and Varsity are more about the experience than the food itself.

Varsity pressed pimento cheese burger is the truth.

The owner probably believes his mask policy saved millions of lives.
The thing about those restaurant policies for me were less about the concept of spreading virus - whether I agree or not at least in concept I get the theory.

It was about the sheer logic defying idiocy of having people wear masks walking in open air to earn the right to take them off in a more crowded seated environment. The little bubbles they put outside restaurants in NYC were hilarious in this regard.

I hope the Grill gets in back and running. I could care less about their policy regarding masks or anything like that. Does it look dumb in hindsight maybe but so does a lot of things. They are an Athens institution and had(ve) food that is at least as good as many other Athens establishments that have been replaced by parking decks and/or chain restaurants. If you want Athens to be America's best "College Town" you want places like the Grill to stay in business.

I hope the Grill gets in back and running. I could care less about their policy regarding masks or anything like that. Does it look dumb in hindsight maybe but so does a lot of things. They are an Athens institution and had(ve) food that is at least as good as many other Athens establishments that have been replaced by parking decks and/or chain restaurants. If you want Athens to be America's best "College Town" you want places like the Grill to stay in business.
I can roll with this line of thinking. Even if mediocre a helluva lot better than a chipotle. If you could guarantee me a Taco Stand or a reincarnation of Allen’s, I’m in.

Does anyone know the name of the owner?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT