ADVERTISEMENT

Article on American Failure Coronavirus

magnolia93ugagrad

National Champion
Gold Member
Jan 9, 2020
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2020/09/coronavirus-american-failure/614191/

I learned several things I wasn't aware of prior to reading this article:

1. USA is 4% of world pop but a quarter of Covid cases and deaths.
2. In Chinese caves, 1 out of 20 bats is infected w viruses.
3. Since 2017, DJT yanked 30+ staffers out of China CDC office who could have warned about covid.
4. Immigrants make up a qtr of long-term caregivers.
5. The US spends only 2.5% of it’s health care budget on public health
6. About half of the world's face masks are made in China

Disclaimer: I haven't fact checked any of the above

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2020/09/coronavirus-american-failure/614191/

3. Since 2017, DJT yanked 30+ staffers out of China CDC office who could have warned about covid.

The Atlantic is no better than the NYT, WaPo or The New Yorker.

CDC sucks the big one. What a collection of incompetent, bureaucratic boobs.

I'll ask you the exact same Q I ask everyone who is bitching. What specifically would you have done differently? CDC's testing protocol was woefully outdated and unprepared. Obammy left our PPE inventory bare. Plus, do you really trust the numbers - ours or anyone else's in the world?

If they appear in The Atlantic article, they have been fact-checked.

Confirming another fact check on point #1. I shall stop here. I think the article was extremely well written and shows many cases and deaths could have been prevented if the Administration had taken the virus seriously from day 1. To add insult to injury, we now have a failure of no national testing strategy along with medical professionals once again asking for PPE.

Total coronavirus cases world-wide surpassed 18 million Monday, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University, with the U.S. accounting for more than one-quarter of the tally. The U.S. death toll was approaching 155,000.

We have more cases because we test more. Pretty simple.

actually, not simple. When DJT says that....it is incorrect with a lack of context needed. The increases in confirmed cases aren't occurring just because of more testing. The high test positivity rates in some locations show that the virus is in fact spreading and growing so testing needs to grow with it.

actually, not simple. When DJT says that....it is incorrect with a lack of context needed. The increases in confirmed cases aren't occurring just because of more testing. The high test positivity rates in some locations show that the virus is in fact spreading and growing so testing needs to grow with it.
Confirming another fact check on point #1. I shall stop here. I think the article was extremely well written and shows many cases and deaths could have been prevented if the Administration had taken the virus seriously from day 1. To add insult to injury, we now have a failure of no national testing strategy along with medical professionals once again asking for PPE.

Total coronavirus cases world-wide surpassed 18 million Monday, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University, with the U.S. accounting for more than one-quarter of the tally. The U.S. death toll was approaching 155,000.
What wood you have done differently? Trump followed the recomendations of medical experts. We have done 59 million test in this country, more than double most other countries. You just want to blame the Chinese virus on Trump.

I shall stop here. I think the article was extremely well written and shows many cases and deaths could have been prevented if the Administration had taken the virus seriously from day 1

Yeah, if only Trump hadn't sponsored legislation to ban his admin's travel ban, invited people to party in Chinatown and sent elderly covid patients into nursing homes... Oh wait, maybe it wasn't Trump that acted cavalierly. Remember, New Yorkers are strong, prepared and ready?

Did they say we wouldnt have had much problem at all if CCP hadn't unleashed it on us? Did China get any blame in that article?

Yeah, if only Trump hadn't sponsored legislation to ban his admin's travel ban, invited people to party in Chinatown and sent elderly covid patients into nursing homes... Oh wait, maybe it wasn't Trump that acted cavalierly. Remember, New Yorkers are strong, prepared and ready?

I do agree with you about the nursing home debacle in New York. It’s horrific. Below I feel is a good summary of what should have happened

“By early February, we should have triggered a series of actions, precisely zero of which were taken.” Trump could have spent those crucial early weeks mass-producing tests to detect the virus, asking companies to manufacture protective equipment and ventilators, and otherwise steeling the nation for the worst. Instead, he focused on the border. On January 31, Trump announced that the U.S. would bar entry to foreigners who had recently been in China, and urged Americans to avoid going there.

What wood you have done differently? Trump followed the recomendations of medical experts. We have done 59 million test in this country, more than double most other countries. You just want to blame the Chinese virus on Trump.

This is a summary of what should have been done differently:

“By early February, we should have triggered a series of actions, precisely zero of which were taken.” Trump could have spent those crucial early weeks mass-producing tests to detect the virus, asking companies to manufacture protective equipment and ventilators, and otherwise steeling the nation for the worst. Instead, he focused on the border. On January 31, Trump announced that the U.S. would bar entry to foreigners who had recently been in China, and urged Americans to avoid going there.

Reactions: celticdawg
Trump could have spent those crucial early weeks mass-producing tests to detect the virus, asking companies to manufacture protective equipment and ventilators, and otherwise steeling the nation for the worst. Instead, he focused on the border.

C'mon, that is getting close to pure silliness. Fauci has stated many times that Trump kicked things into high gear on revamping testing and he literally commandeered companies to produce needed supplies. Yes, mistakes were made and it's easy to see in hindsight. Allowing the CDC to slow testing by insisting on producing their own test instead of grabbing up all the existing test early on was a mistake but at least there was a legit reasoning for that line of thinking.

When you look at the defiant and antagonistic actions of congress as opposed to them jumping on board with a national effort, the fact that the WHO was pushing ROC propaganda and wouldn't even admit it transferred to human to human until almost Feb it's tough to fault the one guy that was taking action for refusing to act.

There’s so much to pick apart in this biased article. The problem with magazines like the Atlantic, is they never provide context to anything. It wouldn’t matter if the CDC had 1,000 people over in China, because the chi coms kicked everyone out anyway. The Wuhan lab had multiple relationships with European and American labs, so technically it shouldn’t have even mattered whether a European or American was boots on the ground. What happened was the Chinese government shut down communication and silenced everyone at the lab, even going so far as to house arrest the top scientists. I must ask you this.... does Trump control what the UK or Europe does in their role in all this? Is it Trumps fault that almost every European country had a MUCH higher death ratio than America. What did America do so right that Europe do so wrong? Why are they hardly testing over there?

There was one point back around April or May where Spain and Italy had over 1,200 deaths per million. DoesTrump run those countries?

Reactions: benchwarmerdawg

Congress was dealing with a stupid impeachment. Fauci said the virus would be no problem in the US. The first case didn’t manifest itself until March. Pelosi and DeBlasio were inviting people into their respective Chinatowns. NOLA’s Mardi Gras was full steam ahead.

You were saying? Trump would have been called a dictator and fear mongerer. Revisionist history much?

You make a great Monday morning QB. What were the dims advocating during this same time period?

Trump's failures in this are legion, but the worst was this, from the Vanity Fair article on Kushner:
It's a good addendum to the OP's article: https://www.vanityfair.com/news/202...s-secret-testing-plan-went-poof-into-thin-air

"On April 27, Trump stepped to a podium in the Rose Garden, flanked by members of his coronavirus task force and leaders of America’s big commercial testing laboratories, Quest Diagnostics and LabCorp, and finally announced a testing plan: It bore almost no resemblance to the one that had been forged in late March, and shifted the problem of diagnostic testing almost entirely to individual states.

Under the plan released that day, the federal government would act as a facilitator to help increase needed supplies and rapidly approve new versions of diagnostic-testing kits. But the bulk of the effort to operate testing sites and find available labs fell to the states.

“I had this naive optimism: This is too important to be caught in a partisan filter of how we view truth and the world,” said Rick Klausner, a Rockefeller Foundation adviser and former director of the National Cancer Institute. “But the federal government has decided to abrogate responsibility, and basically throw 50 states onto their own.”

It soon became clear that ceding testing responsibility to the states was a recipe for disaster, not just in Democratic-governed areas but across the country."

With the dunk: "Though President Trump likes to trumpet America’s sheer number of tests, that metric does not account for the speed of results or the response to them, said Dr. June-Ho Kim, a public health researcher at Ariadne Labs, a collaboration between Harvard’s T.H. Chan School of Public Health and Brigham and Women’s Hospital, who leads a team studying outlier countries with successful COVID-19 responses. “If you’re pedaling really hard and not going anywhere, it’s all for naught.”"

Reactions: Jimy jenga

So, the death toll is much lower than early predictions? Isn't that a good thing?

Biden published this oped in January: https://www.usatoday.com/story/opin...us-less-prepared-joe-biden-column/4581710002/ Trump was still calling it the Democrat's new hoax in late February. Of course, Biden is not the President, was not even the candidate for sure yet, and was not getting any briefings at that time.
So Biden is the one who perpetuated the lie about Trump dismantling the White House team? "He dismissed the top White House official in charge of global health security and dismantled the entire team."
LOL... the guy who was allegedly dismissed came out and said this was complete nonsense.
Also, who wrote that opinion because we know it wasn't Joe Plagiarizin' Biden?

LOL... the guy who was allegedly dismissed came out and said this was complete nonsense.

So you're saying that the team was not disbanded? And that the official, Ziemer, was not forced out? and that Trump has handled this well? Because there's plenty of documentation on this out there that confirms these things, though supposedly some elements were reassigned to other groups whose briefs included pandemic response. Regardless, the point of the other article I shared is that Trump basically ignored everyone, including his erstwhile son in law, and just kicked the can to the states.

Reactions: celticdawg
And how are they doing now compared to the US?
According to the latest stats and this is just the ones I remember..... the USA is still doing better than the UK, Spain, Italy, Sweden, Belgium. We are close to a tie with France. The countries with the most international travel were affected the worst early on. Trump did the right thing shutting down traffic from Asia, even though Pelosi threw a fit. The problem in New York was that travel through Italy let the virus in through the back door, but the politicians up there weren’t in any rush to cut off travel. The Mayor of NYC was throwing a fit over it.

Reactions: FivePtsDawg
Brazil is also treating with hydrochloroquine and zinc.
I have a very good friend in ATL who is Indian... but US citizen... actually born in US (New York City) but parents were well off and had homes in both countries. Her father worked at Colombia University NY many years ago. I have known her for a long time. Sweet, down-to-earth, very smart business-woman. Travels a lot. She told me this past Friday India is also treating patients with HCL very successfully.

I have a very good friend in ATL who is Indian... but US citizen... actually born in US (New York City) but parents were well off and had homes in both countries. Her father worked at Colombia University NY many years ago. I have known her for a long time. Sweet, down-to-earth, very smart business-woman. Travels a lot. She told me this past Friday India is also treating patients with HCL very successfully.
https://www.lifesitenews.com/opinio...ble-covid-19-disaster-with-hydroxychloroquine

India feared the worst when a cluster outbreak of COVID-19 was reported in Dharavi. It could have become the biggest COVID-19 disaster zone in the world. But by using proactive measures, Dharavi contained the virus.

Media around the world, like the Los Angeles Times, have reported the success. Even the World Health Organization praised Dharavi.

Reports credit the huge turnaround to various factors. Most focused on Dharavi's use of widespread testing and contact tracing. One is the use of an anti-malarial drug. But they ignored the policy most responsible. Indian doctors used hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) for prophylaxis (preventive) treatment — the same drug the American media have politicized...

https://www.lifesitenews.com/opinio...ble-covid-19-disaster-with-hydroxychloroquine

India feared the worst when a cluster outbreak of COVID-19 was reported in Dharavi. It could have become the biggest COVID-19 disaster zone in the world. But by using proactive measures, Dharavi contained the virus.

Media around the world, like the Los Angeles Times, have reported the success. Even the World Health Organization praised Dharavi.

Reports credit the huge turnaround to various factors. Most focused on Dharavi's use of widespread testing and contact tracing. One is the use of an anti-malarial drug. But they ignored the policy most responsible. Indian doctors used hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) for prophylaxis (preventive) treatment — the same drug the American media have politicized...
Amazing report. US Big Pharma looking bad right now. Greed. Corruption. Fauci is in the pockets of Big Pharma.

So you're saying that the team was not disbanded? And that the official, Ziemer, was not forced out? and that Trump has handled this well? Because there's plenty of documentation on this out there that confirms these things, though supposedly some elements were reassigned to other groups whose briefs included pandemic response. Regardless, the point of the other article I shared is that Trump basically ignored everyone, including his erstwhile son in law, and just kicked the can to the states.
I'm saying Tim Morrison said that Beth Cameron lied... and MSM never reported Morrison setting the record straight.
https://freebeacon.com/media/media-democrats-ran-with-false-claim-trump-disbanded-pandemic-office/

Reactions: poochpup
MSM never reported Morrison setting the record straight.

Firstly the MSM canard> your article reports on an op-ed in the same Washington Post as the first.

The reason nobody else picked it up is because there is no news. Morrison doesn't dispute the facts, he merely makes the party-line administrative excuse for it having produced a satisfactory result. From the article you shared: "As part of an effort to slim down the historically bloated National Security Council, the directorate of global health and biodefense was merged with two other positions—not eliminated—according to Morrison. If anything, the combined directorate was stronger because related expertise could be commingled," he wrote."

This is patently BS. Ziemer was in fact forced to resign. According to Morrison, his duties were shifted to the brief for a directorate (such middle-manager claptrap) that includes "arms control and nonproliferation, weapons of mass destruction terrorism, and global health and biodefense." You tell me which of these things is not like the other (a) and (b) the response team had been set up explicitly because it was needed - a response to H1N1 and the subsequent Ebola scare (c) What do you call it at work when your duties are shifted to other, existing resources? I call that being eliminated. After that, if you show up to work... you'll be wondering...

wheres-my-stapler-6pq5vl.jpg

And, okay, presuming we take Morrison at his word, and the reassignments were "stronger." Where was the directorate's response? Why wasn't it satisfactory to meet the challenge of a virus that everyone here was content to call a hoax? Why did the president have to put his son in law in charge of an emergency commission?

It's all just blame shifting because, again, as posted above: the president ignored even his SIL's advice and kicked it to states who were not only unprepared to deal with such an eventuality... because of balanced budget amendments in most, they didn't have the resources to do so. FAIL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimy jenga
Yep, the Demwits know most of the American people have the attention span and memory of a South Ga. Knat... and all they care about is Facebook, Twitter and whatever social injustice the corrupt media is pumping....you will never hear these points mentioned...

Last edited:
Reactions: Dirty Hairy Dawg
Yep, the Demwits know most of the American people have the attention span and memory of a South Ga. Knat... and all they care about is Facebook, Twitter and whatever social injustice the corrupt media is pumping....you will never here these points mentioned...

Only place anyone is loving Cuomo is CNN.. and increasingly New Yorkers. He's up to 60% approval from 30% back in 2019. (And he was 30% because he's as corrupt a corporate toady as any American politician. Real Tammany Hall stuff.) As to why his approval has gone up despite that I think the nursing home story is pretty widely known, I will tell you that I am New York where everyone has a clear sense of what to do and is doing it and cases are way way down. Could Covid rebound here? sure. I am sure it will in the fall. But the point is that in a crisis, approval for leaders tends to skew high. Any response is generally seen as a good response. Trump's numbers are the exception.

The Atlantic is no better than the NYT, WaPo or The New Yorker.

CDC sucks the big one. What a collection of incompetent, bureaucratic boobs.

I'll ask you the exact same Q I ask everyone who is bitching. What specifically would you have done differently? CDC's testing protocol was woefully outdated and unprepared. Obammy left our PPE inventory bare. Plus, do you really trust the numbers - ours or anyone else's in the world?
They will trust Susan Rice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT