ADVERTISEMENT

Article on American Failure Coronavirus

Terrible news, Need to get Fauci pushing shields and goggles again, you know you can decorate them like Dr Brix told us at a news conference.

If they appear in The Atlantic article, they have been fact-checked.
Actually the Atlantic is a super left publication, unbelievable most of the time kind of likeMother Jones. If you like the lying Atlantic you would consider Mother Jones the Bible for you anti-American fascist.

The Atlantic is no better than the NYT, WaPo or The New Yorker.

CDC sucks the big one. What a collection of incompetent, bureaucratic boobs.

I'll ask you the exact same Q I ask everyone who is bitching. What specifically would you have done differently? CDC's testing protocol was woefully outdated and unprepared. Obammy left our PPE inventory bare. Plus, do you really trust the numbers - ours or anyone else's in the world?
What we do know is that Biden and the Dems would not have shut down our borders. We also know that our stated objective was to prevent our healthcare system from being overran, in which we succeeded.

Actually the Atlantic is a super left publication, unbelievable most of the time kind of likeMother Jones. If you like the lying Atlantic you would consider Mother Jones the Bible for you anti-American fascist.

You are wrong.

The Atlantic is pretty middle of the road, actually, skewing slightly left, yes, in its editorial choices (that means content - the topics it covers), but the publication is very reliable with regard to facts. Indeed, it is as reliable as any.

I do not read Mother Jones, and it is indeed to the left - about as left as Fox News is right. You should feel free to look that up, to the extent that you are capable of peering outside your safespace.

Reactions: celticdawg
... skewing slightly left, yes, in its editorial choices (that means content - the topics it covers), but the publication is very reliable with regard to facts. Indeed, it is as reliable as any.
Dude, quit digging. I can barely see the top of your head from here. There's no sunlight between The Atlantic and New York Magazine. Take the L and move on.

Reactions: Spe77
Dude, quit digging. I can barely see the top of your head from here. There's no sunlight between The Atlantic and New York Magazine. Take the L and move on.

New York Magazine is a bit further to the left, but also quite reliable.

Insofar as relative bias is concerned, from reading your posts on here, I am going to suggest you might not be the best arbiter...

Though perhaps you're just trolling. There is a difference, for instance, between editorial bias - the stories that one chooses to tell - versus factual bias - the publication's approach to factual bases, but I am hoping you know that.

You are wrong.

The Atlantic is pretty middle of the road, actually, skewing left, yes, in its editorial choices, but the publication is very reliable with regard to facts.

I do not read Mother Jones, and it is indeed to the left - about as left as Fox News is right. You should feel free to look that up, to the extent that you are capable of peering outside your safespace.
Do you ever watch Fox? It's hard to watch Fox and not see a liberal. They have plenty, as they should.

Do you ever watch Fox? It's hard to watch Fox and not see a liberal. They have plenty, as they should.

I do not watch television much at all, in part because most of the presenters are morons, and that is true regardless of which channel you watch.

I prefer journalism.

(NB: I do catch a lot of Fox / Fox News print and other media via Twitter. As much as I loathe Twitter, it seems to be a requirement of living in Trump's America.)

NURSING HOMES! I wonder if other countries use nursing home the way we do in the states? 45+ percent of our deaths are from nursing homes, I bet we have more people in nursing homes than any other country by far!

New York Magazine is a bit further to the left, but also quite reliable.

Insofar as relative bias is concerned, from reading your posts on here, I am going to suggest you might not be the best arbiter...

Though perhaps you're just trolling. There is a difference, for instance, between editorial bias - the stories that one chooses to tell - versus factual bias - the publication's approach to factual bases, but I am hoping you know that.
Oy!

Unsurprisingly, you'll be shocked, SHOCKED when Biden gets waxed in November. I'll buy you a drink for your sorrow.

I wish we would stop politicizing this thing. Quite frankly it's childish for both parties to play the blame game. Hardly anyone took COVID seriously back in January and February. By that time the virus was already well established the US. We were already behind the 8 ball. Noone is going to prevent a new virus from spreading short of declaring martial law and even that won't work. Things are worse here because we are a free country of 330 million people. Free people aren't going to tolerate GPS tracking and govt mandated quarantine and tracing. Hindsight is always 20/20 and people will always point fingers. Every politician got it wrong. The CDC got it wrong. The Republicans and Democrats look stupid trying to blame each other over a virus that neither caused. 155,000 people have died out of a population of 330,000,000 and we are treating this thing like the zombie apocolypse. People need to get a grip.

I do not watch television much at all, in part because most of the presenters are morons, and that is true regardless of which channel you watch.

I prefer journalism.

(NB: I do catch a lot of Fox / Fox News print and other media via Twitter. As much as I loathe Twitter, it seems to be a requirement of living in Trump's America.)
The MSM leaves the President no choice. They're nothing but an extension of the Democratic Party these days. It's truly disgusting. The MSM doesn't serve truth or the American people anymore.

You are wrong.

The Atlantic is pretty middle of the road, actually, skewing slightly left, yes, in its editorial choices (that means content - the topics it covers), but the publication is very reliable with regard to facts. Indeed, it is as reliable as any.

You really don’t have to response to anything I say, It is an insult.

You really don’t have to response to anything I say, It is an insult.

I was only responding to you because you quoted my article, attempting to contradict it. If you don't want a response from me, don't @ me, and we can just glide along past one another without ever exchanging a word.

I do agree with you about the nursing home debacle in New York. It’s horrific. Below I feel is a good summary of what should have happened

“By early February, we should have triggered a series of actions, precisely zero of which were taken.” Trump could have spent those crucial early weeks mass-producing tests to detect the virus, asking companies to manufacture protective equipment and ventilators, and otherwise steeling the nation for the worst. Instead, he focused on the border. On January 31, Trump announced that the U.S. would bar entry to foreigners who had recently been in China, and urged Americans to avoid going there.
LMFAO at should have been mass producing tests the entire month of February. The entire month of February state health officials were waiting on a test from the CDC... screaming for one. Obama had centralized everything so that the CDC was the only government entity who could manufacture and approve these tests. Trump was letting his "experts" handle it based on what the previous administration had set up...but the CDC and bureaucracy was useless. So in March Trump and Navarro had seen enough and got the private sector involved which led to all the tests being manufactured and conducted by private labs.

You really should read more before you post your talking points here. And what Trump should have done is called out the CDC for the bureaucratic joke that it is.

Reactions: Dirty Hairy Dawg
You people actually believe that? SMH

Who knows how many undetected cases we had in March. I know a family where the dad in his mid 40s got deathly ill in Nov with covid like symptoms but was never formally diagnosed.

Since he recovered his entire family, including his parents have tested positve for the antibodies and none required medical attention.

Now, we are testing everyone we can and finding cases that would have likely gone undetected. Throw in the fact that we are trying to open back up and the numbers aren't as bad as they can be made to appear.

Reactions: deadduckdawg
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2020/09/coronavirus-american-failure/614191/

I learned several things I wasn't aware of prior to reading this article:

1. USA is 4% of world pop but a quarter of Covid cases and deaths.
2. In Chinese caves, 1 out of 20 bats is infected w viruses.
3. Since 2017, DJT yanked 30+ staffers out of China CDC office who could have warned about covid.
4. Immigrants make up a qtr of long-term caregivers.
5. The US spends only 2.5% of it’s health care budget on public health
6. About half of the world's face masks are made in China

Disclaimer: I haven't fact checked any of the above
That's strange...they failed to mention that in six of his eight years Obama cut the CDC's budget. And yet 30 staffers in China were supposed to save the world. Trump banned travel from China in freaking January, six weeks before the U.S. shutdown, and was roundly ripped, including by Biden, who called it xenophobic and also by a slurring Nancy Pelosi. He then had to work with the horrid framework handed him by his predecessors. I think Donal Trump is a megalomaniac buffoon, but this is decidedly not Trump's fault. The Atlantic is worse than the National Enquirer. At least the Enquirer doesn't believe itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spe77
That's strange...they failed to mention that in six of his eight years Obama cut the CDC's budget. And yet 30 staffers in China were supposed to save the world. They also conveniently forgot to mention that Trump banned travel from China in freaking January, six weeks before the U.S. shutdown, and was roundly ripped, including by Biden, who called it xenophobic and also by a slurring Nancy Pelosi. The Atlantic is worse than the National Enquirer. At least the Enquirer doesn't believe itself.

I do agree with you Obama cut the CDC budget. I disagree that the article was saying 30 staffers were supposed to save the world. I'm looking at the overall picture of what happened and as an American, I think it is imperative we look back and try to do better in the future to prevent more deaths in a pandemic.

Really? conveniently forgot to mention travel ban? It was clearly written in the article.

"On January 31, Trump announced that the U.S. would bar entry to foreigners who had recently been in China, and urged Americans to avoid going there."

LMFAO at should have been mass producing tests the entire month of February. The entire month of February state health officials were waiting on a test from the CDC... screaming for one. Obama had centralized everything so that the CDC was the only government entity who could manufacture and approve these tests. Trump was letting his "experts" handle it based on what the previous administration had set up...but the CDC and bureaucracy was useless. So in March Trump and Navarro had seen enough and got the private sector involved which led to all the tests being manufactured and conducted by private labs.

You really should read more before you post your talking points here. And what Trump should have done is called out the CDC for the bureaucratic joke that it is.

I have read more than you can even imagine and was also interviewed for Covid articles locally and by the Washington Post so give it a rest. You can agree to disagree and debate without being hateful.

Reactions: nice marmot
I do agree with you Obama cut the CDC budget. I disagree that the article was saying 30 staffers were supposed to save the world. I'm looking at the overall picture of what happened and as an American, I think it is imperative we look back and try to do better in the future to prevent more deaths in a pandemic.

Really? conveniently forgot to mention travel ban? It was clearly written in the article.

"On January 31, Trump announced that the U.S. would bar entry to foreigners who had recently been in China, and urged Americans to avoid going there."
My bad, kind sir. Truth be told, I didn't click on the link and made an assumption because it was from The Atlantic. Usually, such assumptions are valid. I did amend my post. All the best to you and yours.

Reactions: magnolia93ugagrad
I have read more than you can even imagine and was also interviewed for Covid articles locally and by the Washington Post so give it a rest. You can agree to disagree and debate without being hateful.
Your statement that mass testing should have been done throughout February is impossible. There WAS NO TEST available in the U.S. until the end of February. The CDC prevented tests from overseas being used in the U.S. for obviously bureaucratic reasons. The CDC tried multiple times to send out a test of theirs that worked to state health agencies in Washington and Oregon.. but the test was not dependable. Those states were begging for a test. At one point their request was not even acted upon by Washington because the request did not come in via a hard copy which was the regulation... rather it came in by email and the form was not filled out correctly. So it sat.

It got so bad that the Trump administration eventually put representatives from the CDC and the FDA into a conference room and told them not to leave until they figured things out.

Sorry for appearing rude but when you make an absurd statement about what should have been done in February and now you say you are a source for the Post as well as other outlets... it's just not so.

And as an aside. Andrew Sullivan quit the Atlantic because it was too far left.

Last edited:
I do agree with you about the nursing home debacle in New York. It’s horrific. Below I feel is a good summary of what should have happened

“By early February, we should have triggered a series of actions, precisely zero of which were taken.” Trump could have spent those crucial early weeks mass-producing tests to detect the virus, asking companies to manufacture protective equipment and ventilators, and otherwise steeling the nation for the worst. Instead, he focused on the border. On January 31, Trump announced that the U.S. would bar entry to foreigners who had recently been in China, and urged Americans to avoid going there.
What were the democrats focused on at that time?? Oh yeah ....witch hunting .....good thing trump didn’t listen to you Libs who were calling him racist and encouraging life as usual

This is a summary of what should have been done differently:

Read the Washington Post article from April 18 on the timeline for coronavirus testing and please give me your thoughts.

What were the democrats focused on at that time?? Oh yeah ....witch hunting .....good thing trump didn’t listen to you Libs who were calling him racist and encouraging life as usual
You've been boinked by the OP poster! Hilarious. It works like this: You elected the Idiot in Chief so it's actually on him to do something no matter anything else. He failed in the clutch. It's not on ANYBODY or ANYTHING else. Embrace the suck.

Your statement that mass testing should have been done throughout February is impossible. There WAS NO TEST available in the U.S. until the end of February. The CDC prevented tests from overseas being used in the U.S. for obviously bureaucratic reasons. The CDC tried multiple times to send out a test of theirs that worked to state health agencies in Washington and Oregon.. but the test was not dependable. Those states were begging for a test. At one point their request was not even acted upon by Washington because the request did not come in via a hard copy which was the regulation... rather it came in by email and the form was not filled out correctly. So it sat.

It got so bad that the Trump administration eventually put representatives from the CDC and the FDA into a conference room and told them not to leave until they figured things out.

Sorry for appearing rude but when you make an absurd statement about what should have been done in February and now you say you are a source for the Post as well as other outlets... it's just not so.

And as an aside. Andrew Sullivan quit the Atlantic because it was too far left.

I cut and pasted from the article. I didn’t personally make any statement whatsoever about testing in Feb. I’m very clear sadly on the timelines. I am NOT saying I’m a source for the Post. My father died of the virus and I was interviewed. My family called around begging for tests and this was in April. Idk who Andrew Sullivan is nor do I care.

Below is from the article. It says in those crucial early weeks.....

You've been boinked by the OP poster! Hilarious. It works like this: You elected the Idiot in Chief so it's actually on him to do something no matter anything else. He failed in the clutch. It's not on ANYBODY or ANYTHING else. Embrace the suck.
Shut down air travel , totally revamped obsolete testing system , fast tracked vaccine , listened to crooked fauci and shut down country .....literally did everything that could be done .....except simply shutting down testing .....oh yeah and had to waste time with witch hunt..

I know the timeline and what all happened. What thoughts do you want? It was a colossal failure starting from the top. The “I take no responsibility” quote is ringing in my ear now.
Biden was asked one time what he would do differently. He listed seven things that have already been done. No follow up questions.

So the go to argument is that Trump wasted three weeks in February and it cost thousands of lives. If we could only have that month back then the pandemic would be under control today. That is literally what the democrats are saying.

That's the reason I reference the timeline of what actually happened. It matters because one party is trying to tear the country apart based on another lie. But you have your quote which solves nothing. Except for maybe someone to blame for that ringing in your ear. Get over it.

Biden was asked one time what he would do differently. He listed seven things that have already been done. No follow up questions.

So the go to argument is that Trump wasted three weeks in February and it cost thousands of lives. If we could only have that month back then the pandemic would be under control today. That is literally what the democrats are saying.

That's the reason I reference the timeline of what actually happened. It matters because one party is trying to tear the country apart based on another lie. But you have your quote which solves nothing. Except for maybe someone to blame for that ringing in your ear. Get over it.

No I will never “get over it.“ IT killed my father. Even if we ignore Feb March and April..... where are we now? We still have ppl waiting for test results up to ten days. We still have states with cases rising.
I am done bantering back and forth on this. We won’t ever agree.

No I will never “get over it.“ IT killed my father. Even if we ignore Feb March and April..... where are we now? We still have ppl waiting for test results up to ten days. We still have states with cases rising.
I am done bantering back and forth on this. We won’t ever agree.
Very sorry for your loss. But the fact is there is only one political party trying to benefit from your fathers death and the thousands of others. Shame on them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT